Thread: Vegas "Post-Summer League" (Pacers mentioned)

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Vegas "Post-Summer League" (Pacers mentioned)

link

Las Vegas summer league is alive and well after all.

Sort of.

While the NBA's official summer league was canceled in July as a result of the lockout, more than 50 players will be descending on Sin City to take part in a league at Impact Academy, starting on Sept. 12. And while the labor gap between owners and players means an actual season is likely still many months away, the Vegas session that was first reported by Hoopsworld will have the feel of an unofficial training camp for a number of teams.

Call it Phase II of lockout life for the players. While ventures such as these won't provide much-needed leverage in the nearly nonexistent negotiations with the league's owners, they will certainly help when it comes to staying in shape during the prolonged work stoppage.

According to Impact owner and renowned trainer Joe Abunassar, the Clippers' Blake Griffin, Mo Williams and Randy Foye came by last week and expressed a desire to enter the league with a team made up solely of their teammates. Oklahoma City center Nazr Mohammed is trying to convince Kevin Durant, James Harden and others to do the same, while Indiana's Dahntay Jones and Denver's Al Harrington are making similar pitches to their respective teams.

While Pro-Am and street ball leagues such as the Los Angeles' Drew and D.C.'s Goodman have given NBA types a place to play in recent months, Abunassar plans on taking it to a whole new level. The key difference is the NBA-only rule, as most Pro-Am leagues allow players who play collegiate or internationally as well.

A few more details for hoops fans looking for their next distraction from the lockout:

Games will be played in the afternoons and evenings, Monday through Friday for two weeks starting Sept. 12, with playoffs to follow thereafter.

Abunassar is envisioning a maximum of eight teams in the league with seven players per team.

Other players mentioned by Abunassar as being involved are the "20 guys who are already working out" at the academy, which include Memphis' Rudy Gay, Washington's John Wall, Phoenix's Jared Dudley, New York's Chauncey Billups, and Houston's Kyle Lowry. Memphis forward Zach Randolph, who continues to deal with the fallout of an alleged drug-related assault at his home in West Linn, Ore., called to reserve his spot on Wednesday.

According to Abunassar, it remains undecided whether the public will be able to watch for free at his facility or possibly be charged with the proceeds going to charities of the players' choice. There may be a need to move to a larger venue as well, and the games may be streamed online.

The officiating is expected to be based on NBA rules and there will be a 24-second shot clock.

Abunassar has spoken with National Basketball Players Association president/Lakers guard Derek Fisher and vice president/Knicks guard Roger Mason about the league and been given their support. "It's a natural deal," Abunassar said. "Guys want to play, so this is a great service for guys. It keeps them in shape. They don't mind coming to Vegas. The difference between what we're doing and what other leagues are doing is that all five guys on the floor will be pros.

"It'll keep them in shape. It's a good thing for the NBPA."

Okay, so I'm cool with Danhtay remaining on the team, as long as he gets the team (or at least DC, Paul, Lancelot, Hill, Hansbro, and Roy) to grab a spot in the league. Any practice is good practice.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 08-25-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: something wrong with posting...?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: don't delete

Off-season much?

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: don't delete

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    Off-season much?
    Ha, right? I'm having the same posting issues some others seem to be having; anything containing a link, or any kind of formatting, it seems, won't post at all. I tried clearing caches, restarting browsers and my laptop, and nothing worked besides the "fix" of posting simple and editing complex.

Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vegas "Post-Summer League" (Pacers mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Okay, so I'm cool with Danhtay remaining on the team, as long as he gets the team (or at least DC, Paul, Lancelot, Hill, Hansbro, and Roy) to grab a spot in the league. Any practice is good practice.
    I'd like Dahntay to remain on the team regardless. He frustrates the hell out of me offensively, but his defense, leadership and energy provide us with something that nobody else on the team does.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post

LOL so if Dahntay DOESN'T get the team (or at least DC, Paul, Lancelot, Hill, Hansbro, and Roy) to grab a spot in the league, you'r NOT cool with him remaining on the team???

LMAO

Those are some awful steep conditions/requirements that he has to pull off there, in order to gain your approval to remain a Pacer...

hehe

I'm just givin' you a hard time man... but in essence that is pretty much how you came off ...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'd love for our guys to participate, and get a feel for some of the strides certain guys have made over the summer. I'd imagine our core would be cool playing in it, they seem pretty tight.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I don't want Lance in Vegas

Far as Dahntay, I'd be cool with him never playing another minute and becoming a Player Relations guy or something. Seems like a great guy and teammate and one of the most frustrating players ever.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    LOL so if Dahntay DOESN'T get the team (or at least DC, Paul, Lancelot, Hill, Hansbro, and Roy) to grab a spot in the league, you'r NOT cool with him remaining on the team???

LMAO

Those are some awful steep conditions/requirements that he has to pull off there, in order to gain your approval to remain a Pacer...

hehe

I'm just givin' you a hard time man... but in essence that is pretty much how you came off ...

If Free Agency happens to bring around a scoring SG, we'll have Rush, Jones, George, Hill, and that player at the two, not to mention Lance, DC, and AJ at the one. We don't need 8 players for our backcourt. I suppose, of those players, the only ones we'd be interested in keeping this season would be Lance, DC, George, Hill, and that mysterious, undefined SG.

Honestly, however, I don't really mind who we keep on the team (besides Posey, Solo, and Dunleavy), as long as we're prepared, and able to play well and go farther this season.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't want Lance in Vegas

Far as Dahntay, I'd be cool with him never playing another minute and becoming a Player Relations guy or something. Seems like a great guy and teammate and one of the most frustrating players ever.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...we would never hear about his daliances, would we?

Dahntay could run the practice squad during scrimmages and teach the practice squad his style of play. This would force the rotation players to set harder and more effective screens to shake free of the grabbing of jerseys or the quick shots to the body or head designed to knock them off balance and out of their offensive flow while the rough play goes undetected by the officials. Ultimately, that would make play during actual games seem easier, as long as injuries don't result. If he could end up doing that, he could be very valuable.

Mood

As annoying DAhntay's offense is on the court he seems like a really A-plus teammate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

I don't think Lance would have much problem in Las Vegas. He knows he's on a short leash. If he gets into trouble, with all that's happened, he can kiss his career goodbye. (Atleast his career with the Pacers)

But he'll be surrounded by other players, and more than just his teammates. That's a good thing. Lots of basketball, lots of basketball talk. Plently of things to do in Vegas that doesn't revolve around trouble, or really have all that much room to find trouble with.

He can get in trouble in Indy. I don't think he needs to live in a glass box, free from all the outside influences. He just needs to be smarter about what impact his decisions will have, instead of just being in the moment.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    But he'll be surrounded by other players, and more than just his teammates. That's a good thing. Lots of basketball, lots of basketball talk. Plently of things to do in Vegas that doesn't revolve around trouble, or really have all that much room to find trouble with.
    Have you ever been to Vegas?!?!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post: