Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 468692939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

I'm a little confused about what Dal's contention is after reading your post Cdash. That Crean should have bent the rules for Buss? They shouldn't have bent them, but probably has for others?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a little confused about what Dal's contention is after reading your post Cdash. That Crean should have bent the rules for Buss? They shouldn't have bent them, but probably has for others?
    What I gathered from what he was saying is something like this: These things happen all the time (agreed) and coaches can files waivers for players in order to keep them eligible/on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    What I gathered from what he was saying is something like this: These things happen all the time (agreed) and coaches can files waivers for players in order to keep them eligible/on the team.
    Yes, but he seems to be suggesting Crean did something wrong here. Which to me it seems to be he is suggesting that Crean applied some sort of double standard to BUss and screwed him over intentionally

Yes, but he seems to be suggesting Crean did something wrong here. Which to me it seems to be he is suggesting that Crean applied some sort of double standard to BUss and screwed him over intentionally
    Yeah, I got that impression too. Maybe not so much that Crean did anything wrong, but something a little slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    waivers for under-performing student-athletes are very common in big time sports.
    Maybe in SEC country, but not at Indiana under Tom Crean. It sounds like the kid DID GET a second chance, THIS SUMMER, and didn't do his job. Sad to see him go, but it sends the right message. We are the anti-UK. This is not a basketball finishing school, it's a university, with student-athletes.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The UK troll is just flaming. Patterson was only even allowed to take classes at IU because of a faculty sponsorship- his high school grades and test scores alone weren't good enough to get admitted.

THAT WAS THE "WAIVER" for lack of a better term. Patterson knew that he had to achieve a minimum GPA to get approval by the faculty council that determined whether or not he could go to IU and he did not achieve that minimum GPA. Crean has absolutely no say over whether or not one of his players gets admitted to IU NOR SHOULD HE.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-16-2012 at 07:46 PM.

The timing of this announcement was due to the fact that summer school only ended a couple of weeks ago and Buss appealed the faculty council decision to not admit him to IU. The appeal was denied only very recently which is why we all found out only yesterday.

There is no conspiracy people. My God.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Here is what I am saying:

1. There is no hard standard for admission to I.U.
    2. But there is a GPA + grade combination that the typical student--absent special circumstances--has to meet to be admitted.
    2a. A significant proportion of revenue sport athletes do not meet the standard in (2.).
    2b. Special circumstances include: "relative of big donor," "suffered incredible hardship" during high school years, and "recruited athlete that coach wants on team."
    3. It almost never happens that an athlete is not admitted to school because he did not meet (2.), although he met NCAA minimum requirements. Exceptions include Jeff Robinson and Patterson.
    4. When an athlete is not admitted solely because he did not meet (2.) it means that the school (read: coach) does not really want him there.

Conclusion: Patterson (and, in fairness, Robinson) were made exceptions of because of a scholarship crunch and a lack of development, respectively.

Now I get that many of you have talked yourselves into believing that all of Crean's player except for Patterson met/meet the standard in (2.), and I can't prove that they have not, but common sense suggests otherwise.

What I will be interested in is if Creek recovers at any point during the season. If he does not, then it raises the question of why not Crean* Creek instead of Patterson--and in that case I will re-evaluate my position.

(*Note that Creek would stay on a scholarship that does not count against the limit, so it would be barely be a Creaning, although it would deprive him of the opportunity to recover and play, which obviously a dude who has come back from this many injuries wants and likely deserves).
    Last edited by dal9; 08-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or Patterson was skipping summer classes. If he was skipping classes (purely theory), I wouldnt keep him either if I were Crean.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Here is what I am saying:

1. There is no hard standard for admission to I.U.
    2. But there is a GPA + grade combination that the typical student--absent special circumstances--has to meet to be admitted.
    2a. A significant proportion of revenue sport athletes do not meet the standard in (2.).
    2b. Special circumstances include: "relative of big donor," "suffered incredible hardship" during high school years, and "recruited athlete that coach wants on team."
    3. It almost never happens that an athlete is not admitted to school because he did not meet (2.), although he met NCAA minimum requirements. Exceptions include Jeff Robinson and Patterson.
    4. When an athlete is not admitted solely because he did not meet (2.) it means that the school (read: coach) does not really want him there.

Conclusion: Patterson (and, in fairness, Robinson) were made exceptions of because of a scholarship crunch and a lack of development, respectively.

Now I get that many of you have talked yourselves into believing that all of Crean's player except for Patterson met/meet the standard in (2.), and I can't prove that they have not, but common sense suggests otherwise.

What I will be interested in is if Creek recovers at any point during the season. If he does not, then it raises the question of why not Crean* Creek instead of Patterson--and in that case I will re-evaluate my position.

(*Note that Creek would stay on a scholarship that does not count against the limit, so it would be barely be a Creaning, although it would deprive him of the opportunity to recover and play, which obviously a dude who has come back from this many injuries wants and likely deserves).
    You honestly think Crean had a 1000 on the APR by being lax on his kids going to class?

The kid had no classroom work ethic and couldn't fake his way through well enough to pass high school. This isn't UNC, how exactly was he going to stay eligible. Why would Crean bend his rules, just so the kid could take the scholarship from somebody else only to have to bench him come January when he isn't eligible anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    You honestly think Crean had a 1000 on the APR by being lax on his kids going to class?

The kid had no classroom work ethic and couldn't fake his way through well enough to pass high school. This isn't UNC, how exactly was he going to stay eligible. Why would Crean bend his rules, just so the kid could take the scholarship from somebody else only to have to bench him come January when he isn't eligible anymore.
    hell, if the kid pulled a C- without even going to class, think of how well he could have done had he actually went!

but notice that the goalposts are already being moved from "Patterson wasn't admitted" to "Crean made a guess based on a C- in a single class that RP would become ineligible 1.5 years down the road, didn't want to risk it, and gave him the boot."

hell, if the kid pulled a C- without even going to class, think of how well he could have done had he actually went!

but notice that the goalposts are already being moved from "Patterson wasn't admitted" to "Crean made a guess based on a C- in a single class that RP would become ineligible 1.5 years down the road, didn't want to risk it, and gave him the boot."
    How is January 1.5 years down the road. And what proof do you have that he would have gone to class? He was getting a C- going to what amounted to high school coursework he had probably already taken. What was going to happen he was skipping college level coursework.

I get that you are a troll, but there are better things to troll about. Crean didn't make the kid be lazy. He just chose not to make an exception to cater to the kids laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    How is January 1.5 years down the road. And what proof do you have that he would have gone to class? He was getting a C- going to what amounted to high school coursework he had probably already taken. What was going to happen he was skipping college level coursework.

I get that you are a troll, but there are better things to troll about. Crean didn't make the kid be lazy. He just chose not to make an exception to cater to the kids laziness.
    you mad bro?

you sound kind of mad.

also your user name.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I just wish the NCAA required every team to in the tournament to prove its players were academically eligible immediately after setting the tourney bracket. All of those one-and-done guys that took 12 hours of gen-ed in the fall semester, got their 2.0, and never returned to class in the spring. Ah, semi-pro basketball at its worst. I don't care what the rest of the story was, if the guy floundered a shot to maintain (or attain, whatever, I don't care) academic eligibility then I hope that every institution of higher learning would kick the player out, not just Indiana.

We really need a minor league for these clowns and Calipari who aren't interested in classes, grades, graduation.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

It would have really sucked to have kept a non-student on scholarship, regardless of his athletic ability, and to make room for him yanked the scholarship of another guy who actually does go to class and gets good grades.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Honestly, the problem here, in my opinion, is the oversign rule. Most of the time it works itself out, but it can lead to undesirable situations--such as this one.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I just wish the NCAA required every team to in the tournament to prove its players were academically eligible immediately after setting the tourney bracket. All of those one-and-done guys that took 12 hours of gen-ed in the fall semester, got their 2.0, and never returned to class in the spring. Ah, semi-pro basketball at its worst. I don't care what the rest of the story was, if the guy floundered a shot to maintain (or attain, whatever, I don't care) academic eligibility then I hope that every institution of higher learning would kick the player out, not just Indiana.

We really need a minor league for these clowns and Calipari who aren't interested in classes, grades, graduation.
    there are a few exceptions...greg oden at OSU kept going to class all year, helping the Bucks out w/ APR....i think Koufous did too (maybe not)...BJ Mullens bounced right away though...

In the sake of fairness and impartiality--let's be serious people. If it were Yogi Ferrell in this predicament, do we really think he wouldn't be on the team? I would love to think this is a fair and equal world and the rule is the rule, but in big time collegiate athletics...well, nothing surprises me.

there are a few exceptions...greg oden at OSU kept going to class all year,
    Thats because Greg has a good head on his shoulders. One of the big reasons I really wanted to see him do well.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

In the sake of fairness and impartiality--let's be serious people. If it were Yogi Ferrell in this predicament, do we really think he wouldn't be on the team? I would love to think this is a fair and equal world and the rule is the rule, but in big time collegiate athletics...well, nothing surprises me.
    Yeah, but if the game we're playing is who is most talented? How does Patterson get cut over Etherington or heck even Remy?

There's a lot of reaching being done here IMO by Dal.

Yeah, but if the game we're playing is who is most talented? How does Patterson get cut over Etherington or heck even Remy?

There's a lot of reaching being done here IMO by Dal.
    I'm not paying any attention to what dal is writing. After his first two posts or so I stopped reading them. No offense dal.

I'm not sure how it happened. I'm just tossing the idea out there.

this pic just seems funny

Kinda needs an "equals sign" after the "ESPN"

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

That situation would never arise because Yogi is a good student that values education. Crean wanted Buss at IU but the decision to not admit him was completely out of his hands.

It's one thing for a PUke troll to suggest that Crean has some all-encompassing power to determine if his players are admitted to IU but I thought you were better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    That situation would never arise because Yogi is a good student that values education. Crean wanted Buss at IU but the decision to not admit him was completely out of his hands.

It's one thing for a PUke troll to suggest that Crean has some all-encompassing power to determine if his players are admitted to IU but I thought you were better than that.
    Well, I'm not. My track record around here clearly demonstrates that I am an *******

That situation won't arise in reality, obviously, but if the roles were reversed and Yogi was the one struggling with grades while Buss (the player with the much smaller impact on the team) was doing fine academically, do we really think Yogi would be booted?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

That situation won't arise in reality, obviously, but if the roles were reversed and Yogi was the one struggling with grades while Buss (the player with the much smaller impact on the team) was doing fine academically, do we really think Yogi would be booted?
    Of course not. Crean seems to be an honorable guy for the most part. But he's certainly not stupid. If there was an open scholarship right now, this would be a non-issue because Patterson would be at IU. There was a crunch, Patterson had an academic issue (which is relatively minor and in major college basketball, yes even IU, would never result a pulled scholarship) which made him the easy boot. It essentially gave Crean the out he was looking for. If it'd been a far more important player, like Yogi, the cut would would have come somewhere else and the academic issue wouldn't have even been mentioned anywhere.

While I don't care one way or the other, it would seem better if it would have happened sooner so that Patterson would have a real opportunity to land somewhere else this year. By taking it right to the deadline it basically forces him to attend prep school since he doesn't have the time to get to another 4 year school. This may end up being in his best interest anyway but he should have that choice.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: