Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Interesting, I agree we are not on their level, but I think we can get there. Will be interesting to see if anyone other than Cody goes this year.

Also, I would say our facilities are nicer, but that's probably picking nits. I would take Rupp over Assembly though just from the stand point of watching the game. Though I love Assembly's charm and it's ability to hold sound.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Cal did not put any of those players in the NBA- they would have all been drafted coming out of H.S. or playing for any other school.

At this point IU has a better team than Kentucky and split with them last season in two very highly competitive games. UK is not a better program than IU at this point.

While what you say about the kids being drafted out of HS might be true, there is not a single recruit in the country that will think like that.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UK is not a better program than IU at this point.
    That is just absurdly inaccurate.

I mean seriously, even you cannot actually believe that.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

hoosierguy is the best.

Between him and Ol' Blu, there could be a very heated trolling competition.

I admire his, um, dedication I guess, but personally I think saying we are not on UK's level right now will just make it all the more rewarding if we ever do knock them from their perch.

With UKs one and done philosophy I think the only way to gauge their program is by who has the better team that year. And UK seems to have the lesser team this year. So an argument could be made that IU has the better program.

Cal brings in the most talented team pretty much every year, but they don't have time to gel the way other teams do. At the moment they have more prestige because people perceive them as a better way to display their talent for the NBA. So they would get the edge now I suppose because of that. But I don't think that edge will last too much longer

And why is everybody treating it like a forgone conclusion that Zeller will go after this season?

I cant wait to see the both UK and IU play this year. While a berth in the final four is not a given, IU has a solid chance this year. I think UK has a very good chance to get back as well. While I wish all the bad luck in the world be thrown IU's way, this team could be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    hoosierguy is the best.

Between him and Ol' Blu, there could be a very heated trolling competition.
    Trolling? Is this a UK board?

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    That is just absurdly inaccurate.
    No it's not. Get back to me when the rankings come out. See which school is ranked higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post

And why is everybody treating it like a forgone conclusion that Zeller will go after this season?
    Zeller is going to graduate in 2 1/2 years. Crean has already said to enjoy him while he's here.

Well, in a bit of irony, IU was the beneficiary of a decommitment when 4 star DB Antonio Allen of Ben Davis joined IU football's 2013 recruiting class today. He had previously verballed to Ole Miss but wanted to be closer to home. This kid had some big time offers and is ranked #200 overall in his class by Rivals.

Well, in a bit of irony, IU was the beneficiary of a decommitment when 4 star DB Antonio Allen of Ben Davis joined IU football's 2013 recruiting class today. He had previously verballed to Ole Miss but wanted to be closer to home. This kid had some big time offers and is ranked #200 overall in his class by Rivals.
    Yeah, it's a welcome addition to our historically horrendous defense/program. I'm not sure what to think of Kevin Wilson yet, so this season will mean a lot. I expect to see real progress. 2-3 wins won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, it's a welcome addition to our historically horrendous defense/program. I'm not sure what to think of Kevin Wilson yet, so this season will mean a lot. I expect to see real progress. 2-3 wins won't cut it.
    Well this will be his first 4 star recruit. And frankly at this point 3 wins does cut it if he has a solid recruiting class coming in. He had a lot of young players playing last year though. I could see IU winning 4 games this year.

Wilson has what it takes to make this program not a joke, something I don't think I would have ever said about Lynch. But just like players tons of coaches fail to live up to their potential.

Mood

The fact we took hold of the medal count is a bit surprising. All I can remember hearing in interviews is that this Olympics would be dominated by the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I really like Wilson. He is very passionate about the game and about building a team at IU. Unfortunately IU is never going to have a great football team, they are a basketball school. You almost never get both to be dominant. OSU is the closest school I can think of that is balanced with those two, but even at that, I have no clue how good their other sports are, where IU dominates in some other things such as soccer. I think he has great potential to turn the program into a good one, but it's a big challenge, I mean just in the state of Indiana, if your a football player, what would you choose? IU, Purdue, ND? I would say for most IU would be second on that list at best. And those are just the in state schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    I really like Wilson. He is very passionate about the game and about building a team at IU. Unfortunately IU is never going to have a great football team, they are a basketball school. You almost never get both to be dominant. OSU is the closest school I can think of that is balanced with those two, but even at that, I have no clue how good their other sports are, where IU dominates in some other things such as soccer. I think he has great potential to turn the program into a good one, but it's a big challenge, I mean just in the state of Indiana, if your a football player, what would you choose? IU, Purdue, ND? I would say for most IU would be second on that list at best. And those are just the in state schools.
    Florida won both sports in the same year, its possible. And OSU lost both title games. Theres no rule that says you can't have a good program in each. It just seems like that because its so hard to be dominant in one that the odds of being dominant in both are even more extreme. But it is not out of the realm of possibility of Wilson building a perennial bowl game team. Especially Penn State being down for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Florida won both sports in the same year, its possible. And OSU lost both title games. Theres no rule that says you can't have a good program in each. It just seems like that because its so hard to be dominant in one that the odds of being dominant in both are even more extreme. But it is not out of the realm of possibility of Wilson building a perennial bowl game team. Especially Penn State being down for a while
    Ya i knew it wasn't illegal or anything, just that most schools are only able to get one of the two, for any extended period of time. Forgot about Florida, but they have fallen off a bit since then. I hope IU becomes a lot more than just the team at the bottom of the B1G!

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Ya i knew it wasn't illegal or anything, just that most schools are only able to get one of the two, for any extended period of time. Forgot about Florida, but they have fallen off a bit since then. I hope IU becomes a lot more than just the team at the bottom of the B1G!
    Yeah but just because IU has a good basketball team doesn't hurt their chances to get a decent football team. Its just the odds of having both teams be good is low. But they don't affect one another that much

Nearly 100 college coaches were interviewed by CBSSports.com and promised anonymity.

They were asked the simple question of what college basketball coach is the biggest cheater.

70% named one of two people: Calipari (36%) and Scott Drew of Baylor (34%).
    Another 20% named Ben Howland of UCLA or Jim Calhoun of UConn.

The last 10% was spread all over the place, including 3% picking Tom Crean. He probably got Bruce Webber's vote (He's likely ticked off at the EGordon recruitment still ) and Calipari's vote (Ticked off at IU's refusal to meet all of their scheduling demands) then maybe Matta.

Chicken John Calipari is probably so egotistical he voted for himself though... just to finish number one!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...r-in-the-sport

Interesting that there is a pretty broad consensus among peers that Calipari and Drew are the masters of sleaze.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 08-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

nice that baylor goes (directly?) from the coach that covered up a murder or whatever to the 2nd dirtiest (perceived) coach...

anybody know who the Pres of Baylor is? Hint: Drew will not be carrying on any affairs with his interns, that is for sure...

Woo Woo is a BEAST. Think Bob Sanders but no real injury history.

I saw BD - WC last year, Woo Woo hit a guy so hard that you could hear it clear across the field, at the top of the bleacher.

I'm surprised he decommitted though: Ole Miss's linebackers coach is the previous BD head coach.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 08-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I hate Cal but Drew should probably have gotten more votes than him. No one is sleazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I hate Cal but Drew should probably have gotten more votes than him. No one is sleazier.
    It's a legacy vote for Cal at this point. I've said this multiple times: I really don't think he has to do a whole lot of cheating anymore. At UMass and Memphis, no one was sleazier than Cal. I think other coaches get that and hence the reason he won the vote. This tells me a lot of what we already know: Scott Drew is despised among other coaches and is as sleazy as they come.

Between Baylor and TCU, what's up with the way private Christian universities in Texas run their athletic programs? As slimy as Scott Drew is it's crazy that his dad's Homer. I don't know a ton about the guy but everything I've heard is pretty much universal praise.