Page 90 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can think of Teague, and the big center from Lawrence North who passed away before he even played for UK (and was he more than 10 years ago now? He may have been I can't remember now)
    That's been more like 15 years. He was Mr. Basketball in 1997. We went and watched the Indiana/Kentucky All Star game that year and they had a moment of silence.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    That's been more like 15 years. He was Mr. Basketball in 1997. We went and watched the Indiana/Kentucky All Star game that year and they had a moment of silence.
    No. John Stewart died in 1999 and was runner-up for Mr. Basketball to North Central's Jason Gardner (Arizona).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...2/player_dies/
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    No. John Stewart died in 1999 and was runner-up for Mr. Basketball to North Central's Jason Gardner (Arizona).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...2/player_dies/
    I could have sworn it was 1997. We went to the state finals indiana/kent. all star game because Rob Robbins played in both. Maybe Rob was a soph in 1997 and a sr. in 1999, and I've just combined the two events.

I remember Rob sitting next to Jason Gardner, and me calling him Doug after a guy who went to my HS at the time.
    Last edited by Since86; 06-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I could have sworn it was 1997. We went to the state finals indiana/kent. all star game because Rob Robbins played in both. Maybe Rob was a soph in 1997 and a sr. in 1999, and I've just combined the two events.

I remember Rob sitting next to Jason Gardner, and me calling him Doug after a guy who went to my HS at the time.
    Could be. I don't remember Rob. But I loved Jason Gardner. I was always surprised he wasn't able to get a shot in the NBA after Arizona. I think he had a hell of an overseas career though. Too bad there is no way in hell that Nuntius or ballism will see this.

Although I suppose I could just use Google and find that out like the rest of society.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

ON NEUTRAL GAMES NOT BEING FAIR TO INDIANA STUDENTS: “They’re only two hours away. Are they that poor? They couldn’t get to that building? Our students are going. I mean, ours would go up there." -John Calipari

**** this guy

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukb...ll-everything/

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I can't wait for the inevitable NCAA investigation.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I am so tired of talking about Calipari/Kentucky. **** them. Who cares?

Trevon Bluiett (Rivals no. 47 for 2014) reportedly has Indiana at the top of his list right now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I am so tired of talking about Calipari/Kentucky. **** them. Who cares?

Trevon Bluiett (Rivals no. 47 for 2014) reportedly has Indiana at the top of his list right now.
    I agree. Surprised that so many IU fans are focused on UK:

Found online:

What does Indiana basketball do when it goes 27-9, reaches the Sweet 16, and finishes 16th in final poll? It commemorates the hell out of it, of course.
    Indiana basketball has a new display in Assembly Hall commemorating its magical mediocre 2011-12 season. The display features newspaper articles and game balls from three home wins (high-five!) and the jersey Christian Watford wore when the Hoosiers beat Kentucky four months before Kentucky beat Indiana in the NCAA Tournament.
    Is that a Sweet 16 shirt?????
    I think it is.
    Good job, Hoosiers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darren35; 06-05-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    I agree. Surprised that so many IU fans are focused on UK:

by Drew Franklin @ 11:46 am. Filed under Blue Blooded Opinions

(H/T @G2_Blog)
    What does Indiana basketball do when it goes 27-9, reaches the Sweet 16, and finishes 16th in final poll? It commemorates the hell out of it, of course.
    Indiana basketball has a new display in Assembly Hall commemorating its magical mediocre 2011-12 season. The display features newspaper articles and game balls from three home wins (high-five!) and the jersey Christian Watford wore when the Hoosiers beat Kentucky four months before Kentucky beat Indiana in the NCAA Tournament.
    Is that a Sweet 16 shirt?????
    I think it is.
    Good job, Hoosiers.
    We don't need you in here, either. Make a UK thread and post in that. I think all 15 of your posts have been in this thread, most of them in attempt to rile up IU fans. Post something that doesn't make you a troll or just leave this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    We don't need you in here, either. Make a UK thread and post in that. I think all 15 of your posts have been in this thread, most of them in attempt to rile up IU fans. Post something that doesn't make you a troll or just leave this thread.
    Disagree. I read these forums (Pacers, etc) and reserve the right to opine when KY is mentioned. Some of you can take it, and some are so thin skinned you cant. If you mention KY I'll respond in kind.

“They’re only two hours away. Are they that poor? They couldn’t get to that building? Our students are going. I mean, ours would go up there." -John Calipari
    Is he talking Indy? If so, don't tell him but Indy is only about an hour from Bloomington.

And honestly... If UK is willing to play 2 consecutive games at Lucas then IU should just sign the papers and do it IMHO. This is getting silly.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

ON NEUTRAL GAMES NOT BEING FAIR TO INDIANA STUDENTS: “They’re only two hours away. Are they that poor? They couldn’t get to that building? Our students are going. I mean, ours would go up there." -John Calipari

**** this guy

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukb...ll-everything/

It's the truth. Assuming he's referring to Indy, which he must be because the two games they offered us were in Indy, then he is exactly right. Virtually every IU student who wanted to attend that game could put a carpool together and go up 37 to Indy. He's right in that students from Lexington would certainly find a way to get to Indy.

Our proposal from Glass was very fair, but in UK's defense they are offering us two games in OUR state. We're starting to come across as a jilted lover who just can't let it go. And the series was at it's best IMHO when you had the battle of the flags on the neutral court. Like Calipari said, the neutral court thing was Knight's idea. But debating which setup was best really isn't very relevant here as we could debate that all day. The fact is we clearly are more obsessed with this game than they are and are refusing an offer from them in which we would play two games 50 miles from our campus.

Since we clearly seem like we want the game more than they do, we should have just taken their proposal for two games at Lucas which is a stone's throw from Bloomington. I don't see why we have this fixation on playing at Assembly Hall. Students have the rest of the season to get their Assembly Hall fix. I understand that a lot of people enjoyed the game on campus, but when you have a stronger desire to play the game than the team you are bargaining with like we do here then you have to be willing to take something that is a little less than what you might have initially wanted.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-06-2012 at 07:05 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Making a comment about the income level of the students is dirty poker. I mean granted, he spends most of his time around "student" athletes at Kentucky so he probably thinks all college students make that much money.

Look, I'm not losing sleep about Kenutcky at this point. As much as Coach Cal is making comments about Crean needing to let it go, Crean is not the one going off on it to the media every chance he gets. That would be Calipari. Whatever Crean is syaing behind close doors to Cal does not matter to me, because that is between the two of them, but when it comes to which one can't stop talking about it to the media, it is Cal. I think having a game in the recruiting hot bed of Indianapolis means quite a bit to good ol' Cal and I think it's chapping the hell out of his *** that for once somebody didn't just bend over and take it from him when it came to scheduling. I think he is pissed as all hell that IU had the "audacity" to not just immediately except his proposal to play mighty UK. Why else does he keep going off on these tangents with the media about it?

Cal needs to take his own advice and move on.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I was always surprised he wasn't able to get a shot in the NBA after Arizona.
    I remember reading that he had a VERY poor showing in the pre draft camps.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Making a comment about the income level of the students is dirty poker. I mean granted, he spends most of his time around "student" athletes at Kentucky so he probably thinks all college students make that much money.

Yeah that was a cheap comment on his part, but the point is valid. IU acts like the students are somehow getting screwed with the game being in Indy, which is a simple 50 mile trip. Most IU students have cars or at the very least know someone with a car. I'm sure the University could run some buses too.

The Fred Glass proposal was as fair as it gets. But I think at this point it's clear that we want the game more than they do, so we should have just accepted what they offered us. When you are bargaining with a party who doesn't care about the issue as much as you do then you have to bend a bit more than you might have initially wanted to. Cal can hang his hat on the fact that he offered us two games in our home state at an arena that is 50 miles away in a city that easily has the highest percentage of IU alumn of any major city in the country. He offered us a neutral site in a place where it worked very well for a long long time.

Seriously, are we not playing this game because we miss out on ONE game at Assembly Hall in the next four years? The Glass proposal was two games in Indy, one in Bloomington, and one at Rupp. So are we really this upset because we miss out on ONE game at AH in a four year span?

IU fixates so much on the students not getting a chance to see this game at AH. I say "so what?" to that. Everyone who attended IU from 1991-2005 didn't either. The neutral court setup worked and it worked for a very long time. There are plenty of games over the course of the season against quality Big 10 talent at AH. And what about the loyal alumn in Indy? Having the game there gives your Indy alumni base a great opportunity to catch a game in their backyard.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    Indiana basketball has a new display in Assembly Hall commemorating its magical mediocre 2011-12 season.
    Why does Kentucky commemorate Richie Farmer, Darren Feldhaus, John Pelphrey, and Sean Woods, calling them "The Unforgettables" for their 1991-1992 season where they were 29-7, even RETIRING THEIR JERSEYS?

A: Because many logically assumed their program was dead after they got caught cheating for the umpteenth time and the NCAA finally lowered the hammer, though it didn't make their best player Jamaal Mashburn transfer, even though he had received illegal benefits.

Pitino came in, streamlined the cheating process with efficiency engineering and stronger packaging that would not burst open and distribute money everywhere. Kentucky fans were thrilled that their program was not dead and that they could once again get away with anything.

After this last year, Indiana fans were thrilled that their program was not dead and that student-athletes with great basketball skills want to play instead of accepting cash and benefits from lying sleazeballs like John Calipari.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Why does Kentucky commemorate Richie Farmer, Darren Feldhaus, John Pelphrey, and Sean Woods, calling them "The Unforgettables" for their 1991-1992 season where they were 29-7, even RETIRING THEIR JERSEYS?

A: Because many logically assumed their program was dead after they got caught cheating for the umpteenth time and the NCAA finally lowered the hammer, though it didn't make their best player Jamaal Mashburn transfer, even though he had received illegal benefits.

Pitino came in, streamlined the cheating process with efficiency engineering and stronger packaging that would not burst open and distribute money everywhere. Kentucky fans were thrilled that their program was not dead and that they could once again get away with anything.

After this last year, Indiana fans were thrilled that their program was not dead and that student-athletes with great basketball skills want to play instead of accepting cash and benefits from lying sleazeballs like John Calipari.
    Plus, isn't my understanding correct that IU puts a display about that year's team up EVERY year?

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is he talking Indy? If so, don't tell him but Indy is only about an hour from Bloomington.

And honestly... If UK is willing to play 2 consecutive games at Lucas then IU should just sign the papers and do it IMHO. This is getting silly.
    This is about home court advantage IMO. THere is a clear whoopin that John is avoiding here in the next 2 years.

There would still be an advantage from IU's end by playing in Lucas but it wouldn't be as much and this is about saving face for Kentucky. They don't want to be killed in AH.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Plus, isn't my understanding correct that IU puts a display about that year's team up EVERY year?
    Yes. At the end of every season they put up a display about the teams accomplishments from the previous season. The display remains in place until the following season is over, when it's replaced by the dispaly for that season's team. Acting like it's a permanent display is serious bush league crap.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yes. At the end of every season they put up a display about the teams accomplishments from the previous season. The display remains in place until the following season is over, when it's replaced by the dispaly for that season's team. Acting like it's a permanent display is serious bush league crap.
    Kentucky bend the truth to fit their needs? NO WAI

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Every time Calipari talks it is a new set of conditions & excuses. Now he says that they will make no contracts lasting more than 2 years. If we agreed to the two year plan at LOS, he would say that things have changed in the meantime and that they will make no contracts lasting more than 1 year.

My hope: The Heat lose their next game, Calipari is recruited to Miami, the Heat get even worse next year since he is just a recruiter more than a game coach, and Kentucky brings in another cheater who likely cannot recruit as well.

of course you could say with Wade's influence they could make a run at Tom Crean, but hopefully that will not happen.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Also, I went to the UK/IU game in Atlanta, and while UK had more fans there due to the location, the bigger student area actually belonged to IU.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    There would still be an advantage from IU's end by playing in Lucas but it wouldn't be as much and this is about saving face for Kentucky. They don't want to be killed in Rupp Arena.
    Fixed.

Your Answer is incorrect. Pitino brought Mashburn in after the scandal. Mashburn rec'd illegal benefits?? Never heard that before.

While I cant stand Pitino, he hasnt ever been in trouble with the NCAA that I am aware of.

This is becoming typical from Hoosier fans- respond with emotion- not FACTS. When facts are not on your side....your post is all you got--nothing lol.

Yes, there's no way they could beat a traditional powerhouse such as IU in Rupp arena. That's why they schedule such historical lighweights such as UNC each year.

IU has what...one good year (by IU fan standards) and you guys are king of the world??? Thats just silly. Your much vaulted recruiting class is still ranked lower than UKs.