Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BRush is saying Crean intentionally broke the rules, and considering our history from the Sampson saga, is questioning Crean's judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyStar
    According to the report filed by IU on Thursday, assistant coach Tim Buckley advised Crean the previous day that he could have an off-campus contact the next day. Buckley thought Thursday was the final day of the contact period. It was the first of the evaluation period.
    It's impossible for me to believe that they did not know the recruiting calendar. Every single coach in America knows the schedule! You're telling me two guys whose only job in the offseason is to recruit, do not know when they are allowed to do so? You don't think a copy of this calendar is in every basketball office in the country? The explanation just doesn't make any sense.

I do not care one bit that he did it. I think it is poor judgement but it's not like he walked into HSE with a stachel of money with the initials GH on it. However, I cannot be convinced this was an honest mistake and they just didn't know the schedule. The next time Matt Painter or Brad Stevens or Coach K or whomever commits a secondary violation, I won't care about that just as I don't care about this. If their excuse is that he didn't know the recruiting schedule, I'll say the same thing. ********.

It's not the fact that a violation occurred. It's the fact that the only easy to understand portion of the NCAA's retarded rulebook was violated. Thus, the excuse is either an outright lie or IU has the dumbest staff ever. I don't believe Crean and company are that stupid.

And fair or not, and it's clearly not, but it is amplified because of IU's history and probationary status.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't disagree really with anything you're saying.

However, like I said, the punishment has been handled the NCAA has accepted it. I don't see why the UK blogger brought it up to begin with. Just to stir the pot I guess.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't disagree really with anything you're saying.

However, like I said, the punishment has been handled the NCAA has accepted it. I don't see why the UK blogger brought it up to begin with. Just to stir the pot I guess.
    If it had been Cal or Painter, you're really naive if you don't think all the IU nut jobs would have been up in arms too.

It's the nature of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    If it had been Cal or Painter, you're really naive if you don't think all the IU nut jobs would have been up in arms too.

It's the nature of the business.
    Although I don't like the "nut jobs" shot, he's right. It's the nature of the beast. I can't wait for the day when Calipari vacates last year's Final Four.

Obviously, I get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kravitz in 10/13/11 IndyStar
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...t|IndyStar.com

For Christmas, I'm going to buy Indiana University basketball coach Tom Crean and his assistant, Tim Buckley, calendars. Maybe one of those cute kitty-cat calendars, like the one my wife has attached to our refrigerator. I might even go to the trouble of color-coding them: red for no-contact recruiting periods, yellow for evaluation periods, green for contact periods.

Granted, this isn't the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby: the secondary violation IU's basketball program reported almost immediately this week regarding the recruitment of Hamilton Southeastern's Gary Harris. The cutthroat world of high-stakes basketball recruiting is rife with egregious forms of cheating. Some schools are engaging in grand larceny; this goof-up is like failing to come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign.

But it's puzzling.

And a little bit hard to get your head around, especially for a staff that has a solid history of compliance and walked into a situation in which circumventing the rules became a way of life.

Help me out here: Was this a leap year? Are they using the Mayan calendar in the Bloomington offices?

"We had a miscommunication on Oct. 6 as to what the last day of the contact period was," Crean said Wednesday on Dan Dakich's show on WFNI-1070 AM. "My thought was that the last day of the contact period was Thursday."

How does that happen?

Two days ago, several members of The Star sports staff received information from a blogger -- he said he was a blogger, although I haven't seen the blog yet -- showing a paper trail of emails that confirmed Crean was at HSE talking to Harris on Oct. 6.

So I started to follow up and immediately searched for "NCAA basketball recruiting calendar." In a nanosecond, I found this: "Contact period is the time when a college coach may have in-person contact with a prospective student-athlete and the prospect's parents on or off the college's campus . . .''

This period ends Oct. 5.

The evaluation period begins Oct. 6.

"Evaluation period is the time a college coach may watch a prospective student-athlete play or visit the high school but cannot have any in-person conversations with the possible recruit or the parents off the college's campus . . .''

We understand the NCAA rulebook is longer and less readable than "War and Peace," and we understand that there are some picayune and generally bizarre rules that defy comprehension.

This wouldn't seem to be one of those rules, though, would it?

Shouldn't those dates be etched in the brains of every college basketball coach in America?

"It just happened; there's no excuse or let's try to rationalize it," Crean told Dakich.

"It just happened. We got screwed up on what the last day of the contact period was and it was a mistake. That's not how you break a rule if you're looking to break a rule. . . . If you're looking to circumvent something, you don't do it that way. As direct as I can put it, it was an honest mistake."

If this was a coach with a history of working the gray area of the rulebook, I would question that. And I'm guessing some of the coaches who are fighting over Harris, notably Purdue's Matt Painter and Kentucky's John Calipari, aren't sloughing this off as an innocent little administrative mistake.

If one coach gets an additional day to woo a prospect, that looks to me like someone who is getting a small competitive advantage.

If the tables were turned, you can be sure IU fans would be trashing Painter or Calipari and painting them as scofflaws.

But look at Crean's record, and it is good. He took compliance seriously all those years at Marquette. He has played by the rules since coming to Bloomington, following Dakich's noble lead and cleaning up a program that had careened out of control under former coach Kelvin Sampson.

Is this embarrassing? Absolutely. Sloppy? Clearly. Inexcusable? That, too.

But in the end, it's a secondary violation, and secondary violations happen at every school in every sport in every year. According to the NCAA, there were 3,041 secondary violations committed by Division I schools in 2010. Even Duke's Mike Krzyzewski got popped for one. They are parking tickets; you pay them and they go away. Last year, IU's athletic department committed 18 secondary violations, two by the hoops program.

This won't have any impact on the Harris recruitment, and it's hard to imagine the NCAA is going to spend more than a half-second reviewing this case. NCAA President Mark Emmert has made it clear: He doesn't want his enforcement staff wasting time chasing litterbugs.

Ultimately, IU handled this correctly; most schools don't even go public with news of self-reported secondary violations.

I'm not turning this into the college-basketball Crime of the Century, but I'm not ready to dismiss it as some kind of (oops!) minor administrative error that should be swept under the rug and ignored, either -- not with IU's recent history.

Question: If I send Crean and his staff those cute kitty-cat calendars, and they accept them, is that an NCAA violation?
    Written like a true Boiler fan.

-Lance Stephenson

I didn't know Kravitz liked any Indiana sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Written like a true Boiler fan.
    There's a difference between that article, and what you said. One word: Intentionally. You repeated that Crean did it on purpose. I don't see where Kravitz says that in his column. I don't disagree with anything Kravitz says.

Kravitz is saying he's either a total idiot, or he did it on purpose. Either one you choose isn't good.

I'm more inclined to believe that he is a total idiot. I've watched him coach this team for three years.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

It's interesting to me that you consider Crean to be such a terrible coach cdash, when his national reputation among most writers is that he is one of the better basketball minds in the country.

I haven't thrown my hat into either ring yet, but I have been preaching to wait til 2012 to make a final decision.

Mood

I know I am not a IU fan, but I would hope any coach would be able to win with the group that is coming in 2012, most have played on the same AAU team and already have chemistry. I do not think that will really say much about how effective he can be as a coach, but if he does somehow lead them to a lackluster season then, he will definitely have to go, there should be no excuses for that.

I hope that that does not turnout to be the situation though.
    Why so SERIOUS

It's interesting to me that you consider Crean to be such a terrible coach cdash, when his national reputation among most writers is that he is one of the better basketball minds in the country.

I haven't thrown my hat into either ring yet, but I have been preaching to wait til 2012 to make a final decision.
    I call it like I see it. I have been over this a hundred times before, I am not going to rehash it here. Suffice to say I expect real progress this year and major progress next year. Anything less than 20 wins with our schedule, experience, and the weaker Big Ten is a major letdown in my book. Time will tell.

20 wins this year huh?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Look at our schedule. Go through it game by game. There are 20 wins there. I also factor in that last year's team underachieved. I fully expect 20 wins this year.

Well, if we don't go into the Butler game undefeated I'll probably be in a pretty bad mood. I'll admit that.

Well, if we don't go into the Butler game undefeated I'll probably be in a pretty bad mood. I'll admit that.
    With what Butler has coming back, if you don't come out of the Butler game undefeated you should probably be in a pretty bad mood.

-Lance Stephenson

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Don't necessarily disagree with that, just didn't want to rile up the Butler fans.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I call it like I see it. I have been over this a hundred times before, I am not going to rehash it here. Suffice to say I expect real progress this year and major progress next year. Anything less than 20 wins with our schedule, experience, and the weaker Big Ten is a major letdown in my book. Time will tell.
    IMO 15 would be success and then next year jump to the 20+ number. I will be watching the most IU b ball this year than I have since Sampson's last year.

18 has been my goal for some time now. I can't bring myself to tack on those last two

Just got back from HH...

All I can say is wow. Great atmosphere. Oladipo came out performing "You got it bad" and the rest of the team as backup dancers. It was awesome and hilarious.

Attendance was 16,100...largest in the history of IU midnight madness/hoosier hysteria events.

Quick reaction from a talent standpoint is that, obviously the team is more talented than years past. Abell gives us a nice athletic combo guard, Etherington can shoot, and well, Zeller is Zeller, plus he looks jacked.

Biggest thing that stuck out? The team can shoot. Even Elston has developed a 3 point shot. He won his first round 3 point shoot out matchup and almost took Hulls out in the semifinals. Etherington won the 3 point contest.

Sheehey won the dunk contest with a dunk that probably could win the NBA contest if the right player did it.

No doubt there should - there almost HAS TO BE - significant improvement this season. We're getting into the time frame where Crean really does have to show he's got the player development and coaching chops to go with the recruiting job he's done.

Assuming Zeller can contribute, even if far from his eventual zenith, then I think the question still rests with who will be the complementary front-line guy to him. Some experts claim Zeller's presence will mean major improvement from Watford. I hope that's right, but at the same time, we'll still need some help for Z inside and I view Watford as a perimeter big.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Another year, another 50+ point thrashing at the hands of Wiscy...

Quick reaction from a talent standpoint is that, obviously the team is more talented than years past. Abell gives us a nice athletic combo guard, Etherington can shoot, and well, Zeller is Zeller, plus he looks jacked.

Biggest thing that stuck out? The team can shoot. Even Elston has developed a 3 point shot. He won his first round 3 point shoot out matchup and almost took Hulls out in the semifinals. Etherington won the 3 point contest.

Sheehey won the dunk contest with a dunk that probably could win the NBA contest if the right player did it.
    Elston is the X factor this year for us. I keep hearing how he is finally fully healthy, he's been working hard, etc. I always thought he could be better than he has shown, so I'm hoping he can give us more this year.

I'll be watching the development of Sheehey and Oladipo closely too. We need VO to be our defensive stopper. That is going to be his main responsibility imo. I think Remy Abell could also fill a role as a defensive ace, but I'm less confident because he's a freshman playing at a deep position and I haven't seen much of him.