Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Quit making excuses and turning this around on IU... IU has plenty of reason not to play on neutral turf... There is nothing better than a huge game ON CAMPUS. What reason does UK have to not want to play at home or at Bloomington?? The games are amazing when played on either one of those campuses... Zero reason to change it besides KY not wanting to play IU anymore. Thank you to Indiana for not bending over to please KY. They want to make things difficult, so go ahead, tho they won't be in Bloomington or KY, they can't hide in the tournament.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quit making excuses and turning this around on IU... IU has plenty of reason not to play on neutral turf... There is nothing better than a huge game ON CAMPUS. What reason does UK have to not want to play at home or at Bloomington?? The games are amazing when played on either one of those campuses... Zero reason to change it besides KY not wanting to play IU anymore. Thank you to Indiana for not bending over to please KY. They want to make things difficult, so go ahead, tho they won't be in Bloomington or KY, they can't hide in the tournament.
    The neutral tradition started because Bob Knight pushed for it.

Both schools are equally to blame for this ridiculousness. Putting it on one or the other is just blind homerism.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Both schools are equally to blame for this ridiculousness. Putting it on one or the other is just blind homerism.
    Just because Bob Knight once wanted it doesn't mean it's right... I think neutral court can be interesting if it's an in-state thing (a PU/IU game at BLF for instance), but other than that, just play at your own court! ...KY is the team that wanted to change it and wouldn't accept anything less, put the blame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Just because Bob Knight once wanted it doesn't mean it's right... I think neutral court can be interesting if it's an in-state thing (a PU/IU game at BLF for instance), but other than that, just play at your own court! ...KY is the team that wanted to change it and wouldn't accept anything less, put the blame on them.
    It's both schools faults that this great tradition is ending. I feel like a compromise of a four year contract where two are neutral and two were home was the way to go...makes both happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

I would say that playing on a neutral site started in the 90s because both parties found it to their liking and also the city of Indianapolis gave a very favorable deal on using the Hoosier Dome, because Indy was trying to establish itself as a "big event" town, which was a very successful effort.

I don't recall that Bob Knight stamped his foot and said "we have to do it this way, or else."

In this case, UK's athletic director gave the ultimatum: "we will play on a neutral site, or else". Indiana picked "or else".

Sure, Indiana could have replied "please, let's talk about this some more and find a compromise" but who knows, maybe KY had already made it clear that it was their way or the highway. That is what makes the most sense.

Kentucky has already been caught in some lies about this, saying Lucas Oil stadium was on board with being a neutral site host, when a LOS representative contacted by the Star said that there had been no discussions with Kentucky.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 05-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    It's both schools faults that this great tradition is ending. I feel like a compromise of a four year contract where two are neutral and two were home was the way to go...makes both happy.
    Calipari REFUSED to play in Bloomington so any compromise was impossible. That's fine. IU and Kansas were in discussions to begin a series and perhaps that will come to fruition now.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Calipari REFUSED to play in Bloomington so any compromise was impossible. That's fine. IU and Kansas were in discussions to begin a series and perhaps that will come to fruition now.
    My stance is: I don't give a crap about playing Kansas or any other blueblood program. I want Kentucky. They are our traditional rivals, our fanbases hate each other, our states border one another, again they are our RIVALS. We can start a series with Kansas but to me that is just two great programs playing each other. It's not the same. It won't compare to IU/UK.

Simple fact is this to me, IU/UK were playing a home and home series these past few years, while IU was down and UK was up the Cats had no problem with it. It was the standing setup of the way the series was played, IU was more than happy to take what really is the easiest route and continue to play the series that way, UK tried to change it, so that IMO is why UK must carry more blame. If the game was still being played on a neutral site and Crean wanted to change it to home and home then he would carry more blame.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I agree with Crean that it is good to have these games on the school's campuses. For the students, having big games in their backyard, at their house is a hard proposition to beat. IU vs KY is a big rivalry game so it's a big game any time they meet.

That said, if the only way the series can continue is the neutral site format, then just disgruntingly sign the paperwork and keep the series alive... as long as the financials make sense. Run a shuttle for the students.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

i agree with this. this is acceptable. both teams are to blame and this is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i agree with this. this is acceptable. both teams are to blame and this is just stupid.

That just isn't true. What a limp wristed cop out response.

UK refused to play IU in Assembly Hall anymore and wanted only neutral site games. They left no room for compromise.

That just isn't true. What a limp wristed cop out response.

UK refused to play IU in Assembly Hall anymore and wanted only neutral site games. They left no room for compromise.
    It is absolutely true. Both teams are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It is absolutely true. Both teams are to blame.
    No UK is to blame. They demanded a change to the existing setup and left no room for compromise. Is IU just supposed to bend over, grab their ankles, and let Kentucky unilaterally dictate the terms of the series?

Reality: it wasn't a HUGE change and a compromise could have been made...both parties are to blame...

Reality: it wasn't a HUGE change and a compromise could have been made...both parties are to blame...
    A compromise could NOT have been made because UK refused to play anywhere but a neutral site. Any agreement that would have led to UK playing in Assembly Hall was unacceptable to them so there was no ability to play the series on neutral sites and on campus.

A compromise could NOT have been made because UK refused to play anywhere but a neutral site. Any agreement that would have led to UK playing in Assembly Hall was unacceptable to them so there was no ability to play the series on neutral sites and on campus.
    Link where it says that? They wanted some neutral site games like IU and UK did from 1991-2005... I don't think there is a devil here. I think there are two schools and both of them are at fault.

Link where it says that? They wanted some neutral site games like IU and UK did from 1991-2005... I don't think there is a devil here. I think there are two schools and both of them are at fault.
    Read any story covering the matter and it will explain that Calipari would not play an away game in the series. He wants only home and neutral site games in the pre-conference schedule.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ng-preferences

Read any story covering the matter and it will explain that Calipari would not play an away game in the series. He wants only home and neutral site games in the pre-conference schedule.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ng-preferences
    This is the bottom line...crean wasn't willing to compromise and neither was calipari. That's EXACTLY my point. You have to compromise as adults...it's on both schools.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

What's up with that potential Kansas series? Any progress on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What's up with that potential Kansas series? Any progress on that?
    Yeah, word on the street has the two sides "talking" again after they had initial discussions that went nowhere after the Final Four.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I think that would be the preferred way to always deal with the crooks, thieves and cheaters at IU... Remember, I even root for Kentucky when they play IU (the only time I root for KY)......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I think that would be the preferred way to always deal with the crooks, thieves and cheaters at IU... Remember, I even root for Kentucky when they play IU (the only time I root for KY)......
    No one gives two ***** what you think about ANYTHING. Get the hell out of this thread and root for your mediocre PUke squad that will be IU's ***** for the foreseeable future.

No one gives two ***** what you think about ANYTHING. Get the hell out of this thread and root for your mediocre PUke squad that will be IU's ***** for the foreseeable future.
    I don't like the guy either but that's a wee bit harsh.

Banned
    Mood

I don't think so. I think Kentucky has this thing with getting three or four first round draft picks playing every year down pat.... IU will have all they want trying to be competitive in the Big Ten..... And I simply hope they fall on their cheating faces........

Banned
    Mood

You at least make interesting arguments and I sometimes agree with you and sometimes you have even changed my mind. I just hate IU when it comes to athletics. I used to be a fan who attended games and rarely missed one. They destroyed that........ and I thank them for showing me what they were really about.....