Page 66 of 98 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

  1. #1626
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    I think the big ten is like the big east and ACC used to be. The teams are good enough and the league play is tough enough that they beat the **** out of each other every night in league play so their overall records look worse than they really are. Most every team in the big ten has suffered an unexpected loss, just as most every team has had an unexpected win.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  2. #1627
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useless Post: dal9.
    It's true. If you don't like that then go cry somewhere else. Must be hard for you boilers to see IU ascending back to elite status, a place PU will NEVER be.

  3. #1628
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Easy there cowboy. Never is a long time.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  4. #1629

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, I didn't over-react it does crack me up, everybody acts like IU is the only team in the Big Ten that has had bad losses this season.
    All in interpretation I guess. Light heartedness doesn't read well on a message board I suppose. I don't get why since some of us are Purdue fans and some IU fans it needs to be this perpetual sense of "anything you say about my squad is negative and ignorant!" deal, not talking about just you, you live in Indiana (I think?), you know what I mean.

    Anyway, clearly every team has their bad losses. But the UK and MSU games specifically were games I watched and said man, this is a Final 4 team. Then there's Nebraska and Iowa where they looked like a first round out. There're really big swings in the quality of their play and it's been weird to watch and makes them a tough team to peg, that's all I'm saying.

  5. #1630
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All in interpretation I guess. Light heartedness doesn't read well on a message board I suppose. I don't get why since some of us are Purdue fans and some IU fans it needs to be this perpetual sense of "anything you say about my squad is negative and ignorant!" deal, not talking about just you, you live in Indiana (I think?), you know what I mean.

    Anyway, clearly every team has their bad losses. But the UK and MSU games specifically were games I watched and said man, this is a Final 4 team. Then there's Nebraska and Iowa where they looked like a first round out. There're really big swings in the quality of their play and it's been weird to watch and makes them a tough team to peg, that's all I'm saying.
    Yeah, and with the exception of the Minnesota loss, all of those came on the road. I'm fine with a few stinkers, I really am. At the time I wanted to commit a homicide, but everyone but the truly elite have games like that.
    Last edited by cdash; 03-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.

  6. #1631
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Whoa.

  7. #1632
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    SWEEP. 24-7. What a year. I am smelling a 3 seed.

  8. #1633
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SWEEP. 24-7. What a year. I am smelling a 3 seed.
    We beat Penn State and Wisky in the tournament, and I have to think we would get a 3 seed.

  9. #1634
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,170

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Three seed would be awesome. Depending on how we play in the tourney, as well as other teams, will pretty much decide whther we're a 3-5 seed. Would prefer to stay away from the dreaded 5-12 matchup.

    If we beat Penn St. The Wisconsin game could determine seeding

    I'm just happy to be back in the tourney

  10. #1635
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Wow. Branden Dawson tore his ACL today. Crushing defeat at home made 100x worse. Damn. Poor guy.

  11. #1636
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,170

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Branden Dawson tore his ACL today. Crushing defeat at home made 100x worse. Damn. Poor guy.
    That is terrible. Hate to see that happen for any kid. Especially this time of year.

    Could affect their seed as well, depending on how they're playing in Big 10 tourney

  12. #1637
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Dawson's injury really sucks.

    However, if we beat Penn State our path to the championship game is Wiscy and MSU and I think you have to like our chances.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  14. #1638

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Really proud of the IU team. I still have my gripes, of course, like any overinvested fan who never played ball at that level will. Watford still dribbles too much, takes too many bad shots. VJ3 is still careless. Elston has a very low bball IQ. Oladipo still shoots threes.

    But damn, that's nitpicking, almost. This team is just fun to watch, even if prone to lapses at certain points. It's so weird going from the wide-eyed, scared-of-their-own-shadow Hoosiers of even last year to the confident, high octane (relatively) Hoosiers of 2011-12. This team isn't afraid of anyone, and clearly displays a special kind of unity.

    Even if this team doesn't win another game for the rest of the year, what they've accomplished in terms of a one-year turnaround is nothing short of remarkable. The "Tom Crean can't develop players" crowd can shut it, after the improvements we've seen with Sheeladipo, seen even in players' games within the season itself (notably Hulls' on-ball defense, which has gone from horrible to passable, if still slightly below-average).

    My one major disappointment yesterday came with the students, not the team. The "f*** Purdue" chant was totally unnecessary, trashy, unoriginal and dumb. Yes, I understand every school does it. I don't care. Elite programs shouldn't. It adds nothing. It's embarrassing, for this alum at least. Think of something original. That garbage adds nothing to the game, to the atmosphere, but detracts from the image of IU fans. Those students won't be embarrassed, but they should be. That was pitiful. Come up with something better than that. Anything better than that.

  15. #1639
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My one major disappointment yesterday came with the students, not the team. The "f*** Purdue" chant was totally unnecessary, trashy, unoriginal and dumb. Yes, I understand every school does it. I don't care. Elite programs shouldn't. It adds nothing. It's embarrassing, for this alum at least. Think of something original. That garbage adds nothing to the game, to the atmosphere, but detracts from the image of IU fans. Those students won't be embarrassed, but they should be. That was pitiful. Come up with something better than that. Anything better than that.
    Meh, the "**** Purdue/Kentucky/whoever" chant doesn't bother me. Yes it's juvenile and stupid and all that high horse stuff, but most of us did it when we were in college and drunk. I know I did. So it would be hypocritical for me to lambast them for doing so. We see that all the time. I'm not going to get on a soapbox about it. It is what it is.

  16. #1640
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    I'm upset we don't play Nebraska in the first round and then Wisconsin in the second round. I want two revenge, FU games. That Wisconsin game was one of the poorest officiated games I've seen all season (watching B1G all year, that's saying something). I hope we beat Pennsylvania State and get the chance to exact some revenge upon the Badgers.

  17. #1641
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Zeller all-Big Ten second team. congrats!

  18. #1642
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Zeller all-Big Ten second team. congrats!
    Yeah, I'm okay with that. Hummel got the career achievement award/heartwarming comeback vote, which is fine. He deserves that. Purdue is an awful team without him.

    IU in general didn't get a whole lot of love from the coaches/media. Crean might very well be the national coach of the year yet Izzo wins the B1G COY? Zeller probably should have swept the freshman of the year awards (he shared it with Burke, who won the media vote).

    I don't really care much about this sort of thing. It's nice for our guys to get recognized, but doesn't mean much for me as a fan.

  19. #1643
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IU in general didn't get a whole lot of love from the coaches/media. Crean might very well be the national coach of the year yet Izzo wins the B1G COY? Zeller probably should have swept the freshman of the year awards (he shared it with Burke, who won the media vote).
    No. Just...no.

    John Beilein did more with a lot less.

    Also, Cody Zeller is an exceptional player. Really like him as a future pro. But he did not shoulder the burden that Trey Burke did.

    Burke was the best freshman PG in the country this season.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-05-2012 at 08:16 PM.

  20. #1644
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Just...no.

    John Beilein and Trey Burke did more with a lot less.

    Cody Zeller is an exceptional player. Really like him as a future pro. But he did not shoulder the burden that Trey Burke did.
    No. Just...no.

    Indiana won 12 games last year. We have the same team that we had last year, with Cody Zeller added. We have 24 wins. Michigan was a tournament team and had expectations this year. How in the world did Beilein do more with less? Trey Burke was great and had big shoes to fill, but Zeller had a bigger impact on his team.

  21. #1645
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Michigan was a tournament team last year that unexpectedly lost its best player to the NBA. Trey Burke (a player Ohio State never recruited out of its own backyard) not only duplicated what Morris did, he exceeded it.

  22. #1646
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Michigan was a tournament team last year that unexpectedly lost its best player to the NBA. Trey Burke (a player Ohio State never recruited out of its own backyard) not only duplicated what Morris did, he exceeded it.
    That's great. How exactly did John Beilein do more with less again?

  23. #1647
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Go back and find me anywhere in this thread (or any other thread) where anyone said Michigan had more overall talent than Indiana.

    I'll wait.

    All I read all season was that U-M was a gimmick team and how Michigan wasn't a threat unless they had a hot night from the 3-point line.

    Now, with the season over and Michigan a big ten co-champ (with IU 5th), this was somehow pre-destined? Seriously?

    Can't have it both ways.

    Going back to the start of the season, other than trey burke, was there one player on Michigan's team anyone here would have taken over his counterpart in Indiana?
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-05-2012 at 08:32 PM.

  24. #1648
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go back and find me anywhere in this thread (or any other thread) where anyone said Michigan had more overall talent than Indiana.

    I'll wait.

    All I read all season was that U-M was a gimmick team and how Michigan wasn't a threat unless they had a hot night from the 3-point line.

    Now, with the season over and Michigan a big ten co-champ (with IU 5th), this was somehow pre-destined? Seriously?

    Can't have it both ways.
    If you go by the media and coaches preseason votes, I'd say people thought Michigan was going to be a hell of a lot better than Indiana this year, which would indicate to me that the general opinion was that Michigan was a more talented team than Indiana.

    What you have read (and are almost certainly referencing) is the opinions of us in this thread, and me specifically. I won't back down from what I said: I think Michigan relies heavily on the three point shot. It's always been the centerpiece of Beilein's system dating back to his West Virginia days. If they are missing their threes, they are probably going to get beat. Next season, that changes a bit with a true post threat like McGary coming in, but Beilein rarely ever has a true post up player in his system. Obviously you follow his teams closer than I do, so correct me if I'm wrong there.

    Again--Michigan was supposed to be better than Indiana this season. They finished all of two games better in the conference, but I like what you did there with the 1st and 5th thing.

  25. #1649
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Beilein did more with less than what Crean did? Don't think so. Beilein's offense may be a gimmick offense, but that doesn't mean you can't have talented players in a gimmick offense.

    Wish Zeller had been first team Big Ten over Hummel but what can you do. Also think he should have had the frosh of the year to himself, but at least this is more motivation for him next year when he will likely take POTY as long as he is back here.

    Anyway, is anyone else not thrilled about playing Penn State in the first round? not because I don't think we can beat them easily, but because I think they play a dangerous, reckless brand of basketball as I mentioned repeatedly when we played them at Assembly Hall this year. It gets branded as "effort", but in reality they dive through knees and lots of other dangerous stuff that would get you kicked off a court in a pickup game. I'll be holding my breath that whole game.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-05-2012 at 10:04 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. #1650
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyway, is anyone else not thrilled about playing Penn State in the first round? not because I don't think we can beat them easily, but because I think they play a dangerous, reckless brand of basketball as I mentioned repeatedly when we played them at Assembly Hall this year. It gets branded as "effort", but in reality they dive through knees and lots of other dangerous stuff that would get you kicked off a court in a pickup game. I'll be holding my breath that whole game.
    Yeah, that's the other reason I wanted Nebraska instead of Penn State. The Nittanys are frisky and reckless. Dangerous recipe for a tournament type game.

Similar Threads

  1. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  3. Washington at Indiana - Game thread - 12/22/07
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 09:18 PM
  4. Annual thread on when games start in Indiana
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM
  5. Extensive game 3 coverage from the Boston Globe.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •