Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

  1. #1526
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno about a 1. I'm still taking this one game at a time. Winning @Iowa and @Minny is very important.
    Oh come on. We aren't players. We aren't coaches. We are fans. We don't take **** one game at a time. We deal in hypotheticals and dreams. This is a dream. Obviously winning all remaining games is very important (read: critical) to my fantasy scenario. I'm just asking if it did happen, would we be a #1 seed? None of us think it is actually going to happen, but again, I'm just asking for argument's sake.

  2. #1527
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Wow. I'll be shocked if Bruce Weber coaches another game for Illinois. They are getting walloped at Nebraska.

  3. #1528
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh come on. We aren't players. We aren't coaches. We are fans. We don't take **** one game at a time. We deal in hypotheticals and dreams. This is a dream. Obviously winning all remaining games is very important (read: critical) to my fantasy scenario. I'm just asking if it did happen, would we be a #1 seed? None of us think it is actually going to happen, but again, I'm just asking for argument's sake.
    I think it's certainly possible.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #1529
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I'll be shocked if Bruce Weber coaches another game for Illinois. They are getting walloped at Nebraska.
    Which is troubling because it's nice having him keeping that program at a level of perpetual mediocrity. Some Illini fans believe that they can get Stevens to leave Butler LOL

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. #1530
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,592

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I'll be shocked if Bruce Weber coaches another game for Illinois. They are getting walloped at Nebraska.
    It's almost become a mutiny at this point. Weber does need to go, but Illinois should be careful what they wish for, if the UCLA and UConn jobs open up it could be a long wait.

  7. #1531
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is troubling because it's nice having him keeping that program at a level of perpetual mediocrity. Some Illini fans believe that they can get Stevens to leave Butler LOL
    Yeah that program has a lot of potential, it should be a nice job for someone who wants it. I don't think Stevens wants it though. I've read some scuttlebutt on Peegs that Illinois fans want Stevens or Shaka Smart (shocker), but a more realistic target is probably Buzz Williams of Marquette.

  8. #1532
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Is Illinois a better job than Marquette?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #1533
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Illinois a better job than Marquette?
    I think so, yeah. Illinois has a certain amount of history and what should be a dominant recruiting pipeline in Chicago. The best thing that happened to the rest of the B1G was when Self left for Kansas. Illinois would have been scary with him and his "pay for play" philosophy.

  10. #1534
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    I'm just not sure it's really got that much more history than Marquette. Their history is pretty overrated.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #1535
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just not sure it's really got that much more history than Marquette. Their history is pretty overrated.
    Probably, but there is a lot to like about that job if you are a coach.

  12. #1536
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,592

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Illinois is absolutely a better job than Marquette. Marquette's a small private school, just the budgets alone make it better, let alone (potential) recruiting base, conference, and history.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  14. #1537
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Well I'll just have to say I disagree with that I guess. I'd say they are equal. Illinois is just an OK job IMO. It will always be a program that most coaches will see as a stepping stone.

    About the only thing Illinois has a clear advantage in is size. Big East is a fine basketball conference, and Marquette can recruit the Chicago area just as easily (Dwyane Wade anyone?)

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. #1538
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I'll just have to say I disagree with that I guess. I'd say they are equal. Illinois is just an OK job IMO. It will always be a program that most coaches will see as a stepping stone.

    About the only thing Illinois has a clear advantage in is size. Big East is a fine basketball conference, and Marquette can recruit the Chicago area just as easily (Dwyane Wade anyone?)
    Size, money, recruiting, alumni support, fan base...all in Illinois' favor. Illinois is the top dog (really, the only dog--I don't count Northwestern) in a state that produces pretty good talent. Marquette is second fiddle in a smaller state with less of a recruiting base. They periodically get guys from Chicago, but Wade is the ultimate exception and I don't think he was seen as an elite recruit. I think they just got kind of lucky with him.

  16. #1539
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    I think you are giving Illinois way too much credit.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. #1540
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    How did Thad Matta let Trey Burke get out of Ohio let alone go to a Big Ten rival?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. #1541
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are giving Illinois way too much credit.
    I'm not giving them any credit. Those things are all true. Their program has underachieved for years. It's got potential to be a good job is all I'm saying.

  19. #1542
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    It's more than just coaching as to why that program has under achieved.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #1543
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's more than just coaching as to why that program has under achieved.
    Okay, so what are the other reasons? Ones that don't pertain to the duties of the head coach.

  21. #1544
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Purely hypothetical and I estimate there is approximately 0% chance this happens, but if IU wins out (including the B1G tournament), can they get a 1 seed in the tournament? Currently we are teetering around a 3/4 seed, and a win streak that big at the end of the season, winning the best conference in the nation's tournament, and holding the most marquee win in the country (over juggernaut UK)...it just might do it. Kinda fun to think about.
    1) It won't happen.
    2) Hypothetically speaking, if they also beat Michigan State and Ohio State along the way, you could definitely make the argument that they should be a #1.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  23. #1545
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:1377369"
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1377369[/URL]"]1377369[/URL]]Okay, so what are the other reasons? Ones that don't pertain to the duties of the head coach.

    Lack of a committed fan base is a huge reason. I went to the IU vs. Illinois game in Illinois the year Gordon was playing at IU and the stadium wasn't even full. They didn't even travel well the year they made the national championship.

    Bruce Weber has only lasted this long because the fans don't care enough to complain.

    Another big reason is that Chicago produces about one big time recruit a year, and unless you get a very high profile coach, it's going to be tough to lock that guy down. Look at who they have to compete against for a recruit out of Chicago...IU, MSU, OSU, UK...just in the general midwest region. Kids in Illinois don't grow up thinking about playing basketball for Illinois.

    They had their chance with Bill Self and they let him get away. They'll never get another coach like that. If I'm Buzz Williams, I don't leave Marquette for Illinois.

    It was reported when Buzz re-upped with Marquette last year that he is making over $2 million a year. Bruce Weber only makes $1.5 million. So who really has more resources? Being a private school can actually be an advantage when it comes to how much money you have. You guys keep saying Illinois has some huge budget, but how do we really know that Marquette's isn't bigger? Marquette is a successful program that also is back by a great academic institution. It stands reason that they aren't exactly broke, and the fact that Buzz is already making more than Weber seems to back that up.

    Maybe Buzz would want to leave for Illinois, but I can't really understand why he would.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-19-2012 at 04:04 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #1546
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lack of a committed fan base is a huge reason. I went to the IU vs. Illinois game in Illinois the year Gordon was playing at IU and the stadium wasn't even full. They didn't even travel well the year they made the national championship.

    Bruce Weber has only lasted this long because the fans don't care enough to complain.

    Another big reason is that Chicago produces about one big time recruit a year, and unless you get a very high profile coach, it's going to be tough to lock that guy down. Look at who they have to compete against for a recruit out of Chicago...IU, MSU, OSU, UK...just in the general midwest region. Kids in Illinois don't grow up thinking about playing basketball for Illinois.

    They had their chance with Bill Self and they let him get away. They'll never get another coach like that. If I'm Buzz Williams, I don't leave Marquette for Illinois.

    It was reported when Buzz re-upped with Marquette last year that he is making over $2 million a year. Bruce Weber only makes $1.5 million. So who really has more resources? Being a private school can actually be an advantage when it comes to how much money you have. You guys keep saying Illinois has some huge budget, but how do we really know that Marquette's isn't bigger? Marquette is a successful program that also is back by a great academic institution. It stands reason that they aren't exactly broke, and the fact that Buzz is already making more than Weber seems to back that up.

    Maybe Buzz would want to leave for Illinois, but I can't really understand why he would.
    I just disagree. They aren't as rabid as the IU fanbase, but they are solid. I'll take this a different route. How would you rank the jobs in the Big Ten? If every head coaching position in the Big Ten were open after this season, which ones would be the most desirable?

  25. #1547
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Indiana
    Michigan state
    Ohio state
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Purdue
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Penn state
    Nebraska
    Northwestern
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. #1548
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Mine would go something like this:

    Indiana
    Michigan State
    Ohio State
    Illinois
    Michigan
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Penn State
    Nebraska

  27. #1549

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Refs doing an awesome job of keeping Iowa in this early.

  28. #1550

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

    Nevermind, I can't play the ref card. Apparently Crean still hasn't had his team practice against a 1-3-1 or something. Hulls and Oladipo are trainwrecks against this. Watford is his typical lazy self.

Similar Threads

  1. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  2. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  3. Washington at Indiana - Game thread - 12/22/07
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 10:18 PM
  4. Annual thread on when games start in Indiana
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 05:34 PM
  5. Extensive game 3 coverage from the Boston Globe.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •