Page 44 of 98 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 points from the bench tonight... come back soon Will. Thought I gotta say, I kinda like Remy Abell, team seems to play with a pep in their step when he's on the court.
    I'd rather see Abell in over Jones, to be honest. Though I know Jones tends to play the 2 and Remy the 1, would rather see Remy/Hulls than Hulls/Jones.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, the call that fouled out Zeller. Might have been the bigges tbunch of horse **** ever. Guess the B1G can't have their POTY get schooled by a frosh on one end and not let him "get it back" on the other side.
    What pisses me off about this, to expand a bit, is that Zeller's move on Sullinger was a thing of bball beauty. Heck, someone on twitter compared it to a move Hakeem would make and Sullinger's response was just a ******** back down and hope you get the call. Which the ref's obligingly gave to him. Just total insanity, and it deprived us of what was shaping up to be a great one on one finishing battler there between Zeller and Sullinger. I'm glad we won, and maybe we don't if Zeller stays in, but that call just really soured me. Even after the final whistle I was pissed about it. It was such a weak call.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I cringe every time Elston takes a jump shot. He did play some good D down the stretch though. Oladipo is turning into quite a player.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

What pisses me off about this, to expand a bit, is that Zeller's move on Sullinger was a thing of bball beauty. Heck, someone on twitter compared it to a move Hakeem would make and Sullinger's response was just a ******** back down and hope you get the call. Which the ref's obligingly gave to him. Just total insanity, and it deprived us of what was shaping up to be a great one on one finishing battler there between Zeller and Sullinger. I'm glad we won, and maybe we don't if Zeller stays in, but that call just really soured me. Even after the final whistle I was pissed about it. It was such a weak call.
    It pisses me off listening to Dakich go out of his way to assure viewers he's not an IU homer. The way he called that game, you'd think IU got every single call and OSU was completely hosed. In reality, terribly officiated for both teams. Guess he kinda grudgingly admitted that the Zeller trip was a bad call.

My reaction to it might lead to another ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I'd rather see Abell in over Jones, to be honest. Though I know Jones tends to play the 2 and Remy the 1, would rather see Remy/Hulls than Hulls/Jones.
    Jones, like Watford earlier in the season (though not quite the same), will likely win us more games than he will lose us. Heck, he made a key basket late in the game. At the moment, he's one of only two guys we have that consistently can beat their man off the dribble. That's just the way it is at the moment and we have to live with it. Jones makes 1 or 2 plays a game that remind you why he is out there and they have a knack for coming at pretty crucial points. Unfortunately we have to live through the boneheaded mistakes with him, but we also need to appreciate IMO that Verdell has really fought through a lot for IU. I like Remy and think he's actually going to be a bit of a steal for us. I sort of see a bit of point guard Oladipo in him, but right now Verdell has to play.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-05-2012 at 11:28 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It pisses me off listening to Dakich go out of his way to assure viewers he's not an IU homer. The way he called that game, you'd think IU got every single call and OSU was completely hosed. In reality, terribly officiated for both teams. Guess he kinda grudgingly admitted that the Zeller trip was a bad call.
    I thought he was fair. Very fair.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I cringe every time Elston takes a jump shot. He did play some good D down the stretch though. Oladipo is turning into quite a player.
    Also had a couple nice put backs down the stretch too, and can't be forgotten he played great post defense on Sullinger on OSU's final position. It was absolutely fabulous. He was ducking in and around Sullinger and just not allowing him to get ot a good spot or create a good passing lane. It was very well done and was the reason Craft even had to throw the ball to that freshman Thompson who promptly choked like a dog trying to eat the thanksgiving wishbone.

Also, on Thompson, I know everyone (ESPN and Matta) was jizzing their pants about his athleticism, but good Lord, he's a terrible BASKETBALL player. Didn't have the hands to catch a good pass by Craft and played some really lousy D down the stretch. Yeah he had a couple huge dunks but... so what? Those still only count for 2 points and he cost OSU way more than that with some of his mistakes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

To all the haters and doubters: IU has defeated the #1 and #2 teams in the country in the SAME SEASON.

IU BB is coming back a lot earlier than I thought it would.

They need to maintain their focus and intensity against a good Michigan team on Thursday.

Can't blame the refs. There were bad calls both ways. IU had a stretch where they were getting ALL the calls.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I thought he was fair. Very fair.
    Completely agree. Dakich is one of the best sports casters in America. He spoke out against the final Zeller call.

O$U was called for 22 fouls, IU 20. The refs did not favor IU at all.

The Buckeyes also shot more FTs than IU.

Jones, like Watford earlier in the season (though not quite the same), will likely win us more games than he will lose us. Heck, he made a key basket late in the game. At the moment, he's one of only two guys we have that consistently can beat their man off the dribble. That's just the way it is at the moment and we have to live with it. Jones makes 1 or 2 plays a game that remind you why he is out there and they have a knack for coming at pretty crucial points. Unfortunately we have to live through the boneheaded mistakes with him, but we also need to appreciate IMO that Verdell has really fought through a lot for IU. I like Remy and think he's actually going to be a bit of a steal for us. I sort of see a bit of point guard Oladipo in him, but right now Verdell has to play.
    Do those one or two plays offset the 4-5 turnovers and inability to see anything but the 5 feet in front of him on the court? He's a mediocre shooter (good mid-range, zero distance game) in the bad position of being a ballhandler. Not all his fault, but I'd rather see Abell handling the ball and not killing the momentum, jacking up bad shots or just making boneheaded plays out there.

It's hard to believe VJ3 is a senior sometimes. People give him WAY too much leniency for being with this team through tough times. It's one thing to appreciate that, it's another to believe it justifies his playing time.

Ohio State shot more free throws. Got more rebounds and shot a better percentage. But IU had 6 less turnovers and took advantage of the ones we did get. Including the go ahead bucket by Vic. Gotta give props to Crean on this, last year this team would absolutely murder themselves with turnovers in the Big Ten season. And they started to fall into that habit against MSU, pretty clear Crean got that straightened out immediately in practice the past couple days. Other than Verdell, whcih we expect based on the way he plays and we have him play, we did a fantastic job protecting the ball.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Completely agree. Dakich is one of the best sports casters in America. He spoke out against the final Zeller call.
    Dakich is a self-aggrandizing jerk who spends half his radio show talking about sandwiches and the other half hanging up on callers who even hint at disagreeing with him. Treats people like crap, has a remarkably inflated sense of self and is one of the few local radio guys I just can't listen to as a result.

Dakich is a self-aggrandizing jerk who spends half his radio show talking about sandwiches and the other half hanging up on callers who even hint at disagreeing with him. Treats people like crap, has a remarkably inflated sense of self and is one of the few local radio guys I just can't listen to as a result.
    I just completely disagree, did you hear how he handled himself on Kentucky Sports radio both before and after IU beat UK? (Also, I'm done calling it an upset. Assembly Hall is back as one of the most intimidating places in America to come and try to get a win.)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I just completely disagree, did you hear how he handled himself on Kentucky Sports radio both before and after IU beat UK? (Also, I'm done calling it an upset. Assembly Hall is back as one of the most intimidating places in America to come and try to get a win.)
    I stopped listening to him earlier this season after I heard how he treated a few callers who a) didn't have dumb questions or points and b) just happened to disagree with him. And then his 15 minute silent pauses and questions to ask if his producer got sandwiches for lunch. I want to hear about sports, Dakich manages to rarely talk about them, or talk about them so insufferably so his ego or self-asserted correctness (and no larger points) become the focus.

woman without a team

Don't know if anyone has brought this up but I just saw Dan Gottlieb say that Indiana isn't a top 15 team. As much as I hate IU even I have to admit if you beat the top two teams you should be ranked in the top 15.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Gottlieb openly hates IU on a national level. He has never given them an ounce of credit for anything, even when we weren't one of the worst teams in the Big Ten.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It will be interesting to see where we're ranked after this. Losing to Michigan State pretty much has to be offset by beating Ohio State. In fact, we may even gain a spot or two.

I would be shocked to see us drop. I don't know if we will move up, but it's very unlikely we will move down.

The curious person in me wonders how high we might have jumped had we managed to hang onto our 9 point lead with 10 minutes to go against Sparty...Luckily, I hold no real pain from that loss. Michigan State IMO is playing fantastic basketball and Izzo seems to have really figured this group out.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Don't know if anyone has brought this up but I just saw Dan Gottlieb say that Indiana isn't a top 15 team. As much as I hate IU even I have to admit if you beat the top two teams you should be ranked in the top 15.
    Andy Katz took a few jabs at him too. Gottlieb is a ****ing idiot. I said this in another thread, but he is an arrogant prick and the ESPN personality I hate the most this side of Skip Bayless.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the other half hanging up on callers who even hint at disagreeing with him..
    I've never heard him hang up on dissenting callers who weren't complete idiots. I can only wonder what would have happened had it been him and not Rakestraw at the mic the day when the guy called in to propose trading Roy and Paul for Ray Allen and Jermaine O'Neal.......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Andy Katz took a few jabs at him too. Gottlieb is a ****ing idiot. I said this in another thread, but he is an arrogant prick and the ESPN personality I hate the most this side of Skip Bayless.

Skip Bayless is definitely annoying but for me Stephen A Smith takes the cake. Take a downer or something and lose the know it all attitude. And when you get those two together I can't change the channel fast enough.

Bayless and Screamin' A Smith are what they are: pro trolls hired by ESPN to stir up conversation and get you talking about them/ESPN. It works. They do their jobs well, given what they're paid to do. Add Cowherd to that list. Others too, obviously. It's a recipe for success for ESPN that works every time someone says it doesn't.

Back to IU-OSU...how about the "rebound" efforts by some of these kids after the MSU game?! That's what impresses me most. Elston couldn't have been worse vs MSU...comes back and, a few bad jump shots notwithstanding, plays a smart, solid game and some incredible defense on Sullinger. Zeller couldn't have looked softer vs MSU, comes back and battles hard against the best big in the B1G, scores key buckets, may just have outplayed Sullinger actually. Hulls comes back after a nightmare game on both ends of the court, hits key shots, makes smart decisions and plays solid D down the stretch.

MENTAL RESILIENCY. Any sport with a long season requires it. These Hoosier kids are pretty mentally tough. That's going to pay dividends as they continue to grow. And it's going to set a great example for the talented incoming freshman class. I think people are overlooking that a bit: the talent is nice, but the example and work ethic need to be there. Hulls, Watford, Elston, Zeller (granted he'll on be a soph), Oladipo...these guys aren't going to let these freshmen come in and just try to get by on talent alone. I love what that means for IU's future.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post: