Page 24 of 98 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Really excited for tomorrow night's game. Should be a big test on the boards! Hope Oladipo can play with a little more control than he did vs Butler, would really help in dribble drive penetration.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My friends and I have been exchanging texts today and it's come up multiple times: Is this the biggest game of the Tom Crean era? This hasn't exactly been an era filled with big games, but this one could really give this team some legitimacy. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My friends and I have been exchanging texts today and it's come up multiple times: Is this the biggest game of the Tom Crean era? This hasn't exactly been an era filled with big games, but this one could really give this team some legitimacy. Thoughts?
    Seems fine to me, although It could potentially be eclipsed several times this year. And then next year most certainly should have several of the "biggest" games for the Tom Crean era

Butler fans have become delusional. I read their board. Some of their fans said some really terrible things. Apparently, they hate IU.

Let me make one thing clear Butler fans: The past two seasons are the exception, not the rule. Don't get used to **** like that happening, because you'd be lucky to ever make another Final Four. Enjoy your time as the darlings of the state, because it's over.
    That's just dumb to say. Those Butler teams were just flat out better then everyone except Duke and Uconn. They didn't luck there way to two title games. And honestly, they can make it back. Maybe not this year, but soon. They have one of the top five coaches in the country. I would take Stevens over Crean any day.

Until Butler upgrades their facilities, they cannot become the Duke of the midwest, which I think is sort of their hope. And I'm not talking about Hinkle specifically, but I am talking about their coaches offices, weight room, etc.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

They've already started that process, FWIW. They're in the middle of a $25mil fundraising campaign.

Here's an article talking about some of it.
    http://thebutlercollegian.com/2011/0...re-facilities/

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    That's just dumb to say. Those Butler teams were just flat out better then everyone except Duke and Uconn. They didn't luck there way to two title games. And honestly, they can make it back. Maybe not this year, but soon. They have one of the top five coaches in the country. I would take Stevens over Crean any day.
    They're going to have to get some crazy good classes in there then, because outside of Hopkins and Marshall, maybe Smeathers, there isn't a ton of talent on that team right now. I like that transfer who's sitting out the year to gain eligibility, and their 2012 class very well may turn them back into contenders. But still a lot of wait-and-see with them. Too many players like Butcher or Fromm or Stigall who just can't do enough to win against the better teams in the NCAA (and IU isn't even a top 25 team).

Would be awesome to see Watford step up tonight, because this is going to be a very tough one on the road. Think this game is won or lost on the boards, so Watford, Zeller, Elston need to show up huge. From what I've seen from IU this year, the defensive intensity is going to be there regardless. It all comes down to giving yourself opportunities from there.

It will be interesting to see who we match up against CJ Leslie. Too bad Hanner isn't on this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Really? Brad Stevens himself came out and said that last year's team was one of the most overachieving teams he's ever been around. Those Butler teams caught fire at the right time, played incredible defense, and just willed themselves to victory. Brad Stevens is an absolutely superb coach, but talent-wise, those teams (especially last year's) were not flat out better than everyone except Duke and UConn. You know it, I know it, hell, the players know it.

They do have one of the top 5 coaches in the country and I would absolutely, all day, every day, without thinking twice about it take him over Crean. If Crean underwhelms this year and next, that wish might be granted. I've heard it numerous times that if Stevens were offered the IU job, he wouldn't be able to say no.

Really? Brad Stevens himself came out and said that last year's team was one of the most overachieving teams he's ever been around. Those Butler teams caught fire at the right time, played incredible defense, and just willed themselves to victory. Brad Stevens is an absolutely superb coach, but talent-wise, those teams (especially last year's) were not flat out better than everyone except Duke and UConn. You know it, I know it, hell, the players know it.

They do have one of the top 5 coaches in the country and I would absolutely, all day, every day, without thinking twice about it take him over Crean. If Crean underwhelms this year and next, that wish might be granted. I've heard it numerous times that if Stevens were offered the IU job, he wouldn't be able to say no.
    I don't know...IU could throw more money at him than Butler, but he has it perfect at Butler. Working side-by-side with Barry Collier, running a fairly foolproof system, pretty much ensured a tourney bid every year, adored by the college bball masses. I think it would take a lot to get Stevens to move on from Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Until Butler upgrades their facilities, they cannot become the Duke of the midwest, which I think is sort of their hope. And I'm not talking about Hinkle specifically, but I am talking about their coaches offices, weight room, etc.
    They will never be the Duke of the Midwest. It will never, ever, ever happen. What they can be (and what they probably are pretty close to actually being) is the Gonzaga of the Midwest. Obviously, they don't crap the bed come tournament time like the Zags, but the Zags are a top 25 team year in and year out who attract high quality talent for a mid-major school. Butler has a tough hill to climb for that because recruiting for them is a severe uphill battle. You really think they can out recruit Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. for these Indiana kids? The Butler story has been nice, but consistently getting top talent to play in the Horizon League is going to be extraordinarily difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I don't know...IU could throw more money at him than Butler, but he has it perfect at Butler. Working side-by-side with Barry Collier, running a fairly foolproof system, pretty much ensured a tourney bid every year, adored by the college bball masses. I think it would take a lot to get Stevens to move on from Butler.
    I've heard it multiple times that the only job he would leave Butler for is the IU job. Will it ever happen? Probably not. But I don't think it's a big secret that Stevens has a soft spot for IU.

Stevens would absolutely leave Butler for IU. He grew up an IU fan, he and his Dad would drive from Zionsville to Bloomington for games. No doubt in my mind he would make that move. It's the only job I could see him leaving Butler for.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pushing us around like rag dolls inside. Need a tourniquet for to stem their offensive rebounding.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, that was an ugly way to close the half.

Watford invisible on the boards again. Jones terrible. Sheehey's play killing them tonight. Essentially, this team went back to the offense of last year and forgot Zeller was on the court. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Pushing us around like rag dolls inside. Need a tourniquet for to stem their offensive rebounding.
    This is going to be our major weakness all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This is going to be our major weakness all season long.
    Relying on guys like Jones and Pritchard to have solid games is going to be a weakness all season. As well as asking Hulls to defend.

**** YOU WATFORD. YOU ****ING SUCK YOU DO STUPID **** EVERY TIME YOU GET THE ****ING BALL AND YOU NEVER, EVER BOX OUT!

IU slipping a little after a good start. Need to keep NC State off the offensive glass. Seems that IU is losing every loose ball tonight. I hope that turns around in the second half.

I fully expect that last post to get deleted, but man Watford pisses me off.

I've heard it multiple times that the only job he would leave Butler for is the IU job. Will it ever happen? Probably not. But I don't think it's a big secret that Stevens has a soft spot for IU.
    Butler has had multiple successful coaches over the past decade. They've all left for larger schools when given the opportunity.

Butler has had more recent success, but IU remains THE big name school for college hoops in this state.

I fully expect that last post to get deleted, but man Watford pisses me off.
    I see nothing in your post that isn't true.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zeller needs a touch every time down.