Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798
Results 2,426 to 2,436 of 2436

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

I don't consider it "pathetically desperate" to criticize a school for forcing out a player who, by all accounts, was the absolute model student-athlete simply because they recruited a freshman who is better.

The fact that he was able to use his 1st four years to get two degrees shouldn't be reason to force his scholarship away from him. It should be a reason that the school should want him to stay in the program as long as the NCAA would let him. He had a 5th year of elgibility. He should have been able to use it. To force him out because they recruited over him, isn't right. The fact that he knew he was going to get a raw deal doesn't make it better.

I'd say this if it happened at Butler. I'd say this if it happened at Purdue. I'd say this if it happened at Wabash College. It's not some damn conspiracy against IU.

It's not just an IU problem. It's an NCAA problem.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Yes. This 1,000 times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I don't consider it "pathetically desperate" to criticize a school for forcing out a player who, by all accounts, was the absolute model student-athlete simply because they recruited a freshman who is better.

The fact that he was able to use his 1st four years to get two degrees shouldn't be reason to force his scholarship away from him. It should be a reason that the school should want him to stay in the program as long as the NCAA would let him. He had a 5th year of elgibility. He should have been able to use it. To force him out because they recruited over him, isn't right. The fact that he knew he was going to get a raw deal doesn't make it better.

I'd say this if it happened at Butler. I'd say this if it happened at Purdue. I'd say this if it happened at Wabash College. It's not some damn conspiracy against IU.

So instead of forcing out the kid who already got an education they should force out a kid who wants to come play here and go to school here.

Coaches are being forced to offer kids scholarships when they are sophmores in high school. How the hell are coaches supposed to factor in the potential situation of having two 5th year players on their roster. If Roth and Creek had never got hurt we would have been able to keep Patterson and we wouldn't even be having this conversation about Roth.

Not to mention who could have expected us to be the #1 team in the country, and thus have nobody leave the program. Usually you would have somebody transfer for more playing time. But not now, not when they see the chance to ride Cody Zeller to a National Championship game.

Roth came here, he got his 4 years of schooling. He got a fair deal. And don't tell me he was forced out, if somebody was going to be forced out simply because they were the lesser player, it wouldn't have been him.

I think the only fair way to deal with this would be to make it so that 5th year players don't count against the scholarship. They still get one, but you are allowed to offer 13 others. That way if a player gets hurt, it doesn't adversely affect kids who have already been offered, who want to come to the school.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Northwestern just signed a kid labeled "the Jewish Dwight Howard"

That makes about as much sense and calling a used car "the Hyundai Lamborghini"

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Just to be clear: Wabash, as DIII, can't give athletic scholariships and has an entire roster of true student-athletes. This would never be an issue at DIII because the availability (or lack thereof) of scholarships has no bearing on the team's roster.

Now some student-athletes may get better financial aid packages than similar-rated non-athletes. But even at DII or NAIA, you're talking about splitting a handful of scholarships across the entire roster.

I think we (NAIA) had the equivalent of one scholarship to split across the entire men's track team. And you couldn't get your hands on any portion of it until you were a letterman so it wasn't even a recruiting tool but a way to help a little bit with student-athletes paying a heavy load of private university cost.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Good lord there's a pic of Yogi on Crean's twitter that says Yogi has hit the weight room, dude is looking jacked!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

So i sorta called it but the NCAA completely folded for UNC. They cheated well enough to win so the NCAA does whatever it has to do to protect their title run

What a crock. Since when are players that have five years of eligibility entitled to receive the fifth year? Crean didn't force Roth to transfer while he was in the middle of pursuing his degree- in fact, he honored Roth's commitment despite the fact it was given when Kelvin Sampson was coach. Four years is standard and that is what Roth got. Crean's job is to win games and play by the rules, none of which were undermined by not giving a role player off the bench a fifth year of eligibility.

Again, how exactly did Roth get a raw deal? Four years of free education and a bachelors and masters degree is a raw deal? I'd sign up for that raw deal any day as would every sane person on the planet. You are desperately grasping for straws. But hey Trey Lyles visited Butler today, maybe he'll go play for the Bulldogs (excuse me while I contain my laughter).

Oh and PurduePacer- I can tell you are reading this thread because you thank everyone of this guy's posts but apparently you are too much of a coward to provide your own opinion. I'm sure Painter would love to have Roth considering how he can't even fill his roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Roth sets the record straight in interview

http://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1401618
    Roth obviously doesn't feel he got a "raw deal" but some posters want to continue to harbor their conspiracy theories.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I went ahead and started up a new thread for the upcoming year. Should be a great one.

2012-13 Discussion
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

Shakir Bell is running wild on the Hoosiers still can't believe dude didn't get D1 offers. He is so undersized but he is so skilled abd prodcuces his senior year at Warren he ran for more yards than anyone. I hope he gets his shot in the NFL in 2 years he is one tough SOB who knows how to play RB.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: