Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012

Nobody ever had any faith in Lynch whatsoever. I was on campus at the time and everyone knew exactly how that was going to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I don't mean that to come off flippant, but look at all the other talent in the state. He's just barely in the top 100 nationally, it would take a truly unbelievable season for that to happen.

Yogi has the inside line, because he is a point guard and his team is probably going to roll to a state championship.
    I agree that Dunham has almost no shot at Mr. Basketball, and that is not an indictment on him. The state is loaded with talented players, and argue it all you want, but usually guys get a spike in the voting when they are committed to IU. Not a huge spike, but it certainly helps.

I'm with you--I think Yogi and Gary Harris are the two frontrunners for Mr. Basketball. I don't think Yogi and Park Tudor will roll to a state title though. Remember, Broad Ripple is now a 2A school and in Park Tudor's sectional. They are nothing to sneeze at.

With Yogi and Blueitt PT will roll 2A. Book it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

With Yogi and Blueitt PT will roll 2A. Book it.
    I'm not saying they won't and they are certainly the heavy favorites to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Broad Ripple tripped them up in sectionals.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Nobody ever had any faith in Lynch whatsoever. I was on campus at the time and everyone knew exactly how that was going to play out.
    We had discussions about it, on this very site. I remember thinking it was crazy talk, because I had witnessed Bill Lynch destroy a program and that was my entire argument.

If he couldn't keep a MAC program afloat, there was no way he could be expected to keep a Big10 program going.

I remember the discussions that were going on at the Ball State forum I frequent,

If no one had faith in Coach Lynch, then why did he get a contract? They gave him 3 years. It's not like they put him in for a replacement until they found someone better. They thought he could do the job, which is why they gave him the job.

And as far as Bama and them wanting Gunner. Kelly Page, a BSU QB, was also an Oregon Duck at one time. He lost his spot to a true freshman, when he was a Jr. Recruiting is a gamble. Big programs make mistakes too.

That Finch kid a couple years ago was recruited, and played for, Florida. That didn't work out for him very well either.

EDIT: And I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying you should atleast wait to crown him.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not saying they won't and they are certainly the heavy favorites to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Broad Ripple tripped them up in sectionals.
    Bowman Academy is now considered a 2A as well. They're a charter school from Gary, and they recruit basketball players heavily.

They won the 1A state finals two years ago, and were probably the best team in the state. Certainly one of the best.

I think you're being a little unfair saying we're crowning him. Just my opinion though. I think he's a great sign of Wilson's early influence, and that is hugely important.

No doubt there.

And I really don't doubt Wilson as a coach or even as a recruiter. Although I do doubt him as a coach/recruiter for IU. I just don't see IU moving up in the conference. Not until Indiana's high school football programs start taking off.

That's not an anti-IU or anti-Wilson thought either. I think Ball St. and Purdue are behind the same 8ball.

Any kid that's any good around here is going to have all kinds of pressure from OSU/Mich/ND. With a wider talent base in the state, you can afford giving up a few kids to the established programs, or the ones with the rich history. But when your talent pool is already thin, you can't really afford to let them slip away. Not the kids growing up IU/Purdue/Ball St fans.

We live in a time where coaches get two or three years tops to turn around a program before he's shown the door. And if he does he's got two or three years before another program swoops in and takes him away.

It was only three years ago when Ball St was undefeated and ranked. Coach Hoke didn't get the commitment level, so he went to SDSU for two years and now he's at Michigan. That's a pretty fast climb to the top.

All BSU has done in the meantime is win a measely 6 games total.

As hard as it is to build, it's 10x as easy to be torn down.

The Big East keeps trying, but that whole conference is in the same boat. All just my uneducated opinion though.

The bottom line is even becoming a yearly 7-5 time and getting to bowls is a massive imporvement for me as an IU fan.

Yeah he dropped in ESPN's ranking...big freaking deal.
    They probably dropped him down the second he picked lowly IU.

...No respect. But who cares, hes a beast and we got em!

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Gary Harris visiting October 15th, it's the second of his 3 scheduled visits

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do you guys think Hoosier Hysteria should be moved to Saturday night in order to accommodate Gary Harris? It seems a rather ingenious idea to me. One, Harris can then attend (he plays football so Friday is out); and two, IU will have obviously moved a major annual event for him, so that's something.

Nothing's confirmed, of course. Still, moving Hoosier Hysteria for one player? Yes, no, maybe?
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo

Pretty sure HH is already on Saturday, think I read so on InsideTheHall.com anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Pretty sure HH is already on Saturday, think I read so on InsideTheHall.com anyway.
    It was scheduled to be on Friday, but they moved it to Saturday, presumably for GH.

All of our 2012 class will be on campus that weekend, as well as GH and RJ Curington. That will be a hell of an atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Do you guys think Hoosier Hysteria should be moved to Saturday night in order to accommodate Gary Harris? It seems a rather ingenious idea to me. One, Harris can then attend (he plays football so Friday is out); and two, IU will have obviously moved a major annual event for him, so that's something.

Nothing's confirmed, of course. Still, moving Hoosier Hysteria for one player? Yes, no, maybe?
    I have no problem with it. At all. Don't know why anyone would.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...diana-football

Too long of an article to format.

Yeah I read that. It's neat that there is some buzz around IU football for the first time that I can really remember. I don't expect much out of this year's team. 4-5 wins and avoid any embarrassments would be a success as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know how much buzz there actually is though. I saw on twitter that IU only sold 6,000 tickets to the IU/Ball St game at Lucas tomorrow.

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but Ball St sold 25,000 for comparison.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...25-000-tickets

That link says IU sold 6,100 (as of tuesday 8/30) but also says that they're included in the 25,000. So maybe BSU has sold 19,000 to IU's 6,000.

Either way, it has to be pretty disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't know how much buzz there actually is though. I saw on twitter that IU only sold 6,000 tickets to the IU/Ball St game at Lucas tomorrow.

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but Ball St sold 25,000 for comparison.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...25-000-tickets

That link says IU sold 6,100 (as of tuesday 8/30) but also says that they're included in the 25,000. So maybe BSU has sold 19,000 to IU's 6,000.

Either way, it has to be pretty disappointing.
    I strongly doubt the validity of those numbers. I think you just like to come here and **** in our Cheerios to be perfectly honest.

Kravitz is the one who tweeted the 6,000 number earlier today. If you don't want to believe it, then that's fine.

I've been around IU enough to know that the actual football game takes a backseat to tailgating. And that's not just an IU problem, but a problem for Ball St. as well, considering we were last in attendance last season.

But if you would like to take everything personal, then that's your right I guess.

EDIT: And maybe IU sold a bunch the last 3 days, or maybe people are waiting for gameday to buy them.

But with the numbers being reported, that I have NO control over, I don't think IU has all that much buzz around their team.

The low ticket sales took me by surprise. I've been hearing nothing but positives from Bloomington. I figured they would sell more tickets with a new coach, playing in Lucas Oil, and the fact that IU will probably win.

I didn't think I said anything opinion based. It was more a statement about what is being reported.

And I said it during the entire "blue chip" argument. I'm an IU fan. Ball St. is #1 for me, but I will always root for an in state school over an out of state school. And I am a huge fan of Coach Knight.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-02-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Sports Logo

My buddy tried getting tix today and couldn't. Maybe he's an idiot (strong possibility), but seems like someone bought a bunch of tix in the last day o rso.

A couple things:

First, Indiana High School football talent has been on the rise, especially in the Indy area. A LOT more division one level talent this year than it was five years ago. No, it's not Ohio, but its a solid base to recruit from. Of course you have to compete with Cincy, who has been recruiting Indianapolis hard the last several years, Louisville, Notre Dame and the other Big 10 schools.

Coach Wilson currently has a class ranked 34 (6 in Big 10) by Rivals and 29 (5) by Scout. With probably at least 5 more scholarships available, they are in good shape with rivals/scout 4 star Dalvin Tomlinson, a DL, and are in the top few for Ron Thompson, a scout 4 star receiver/TE. They could finish even higher.

Second, IU sold all the tickets they were given. And I've seen reports of that being 10k. Expect, though, a fairly large walk-in crowd.

Go Hoosiers
    Last edited by Ozwalt72; 09-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As of Thursday evening IU had sold 7000 tickets to the game, surpassing their allotment of 6500.

Coach Wilson termed the number 'disappointing' but AD Fred Glass was very happy with it.

And, unfortunately, IU will continue to struggle until they are able to win the line of scrimmage, on both sides. The defensive line in particular was manhandled all game.

Coach Wilson made a coaching mistake, not settling for the FG. But it was an understandable risk, he wanted to put it on his offense to step up and make a play. It should have worked.

Defensive line manhandled = broken record for IU football since 1993.

I hope Wilson can solve this, but it won't be this year. He'll have to do what nobody's done in years at IU, recruit defenders with the actual size to play B10-level football. Actually, even MAC - level football for that matter.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata