Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Illinois is just terrible, they never had any business being ranked, I've been saying this all year. Not to take anything away from Purdue, they're playing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Illinois is just terrible, they never had any business being ranked, I've been saying this all year. Not to take anything away from Purdue, they're playing really well.
    I agree. They are a complete farce.

Mood

Indiana and Iowa or OSU and we will be going bowling... good times. Should have beat rice and PSU by the way could have been 6-1 right now.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Indiana and Iowa or OSU and we will be going bowling... good times. Should have beat rice and PSU by the way could have been 6-1 right now.
    This is surely how your AD sees it. Contract extension for Hope!

Mood

Lol I think if we can some how pull out 7 wins this season he will actually get an extension.

I doubt that with the play of the second half especially with the stalled offense that we even have a shot.
    Why so SERIOUS

So hyped about this win. News Flash, Purdue has a pretty damn good defense. Short has been amazing this season. Might be 1st Team All-American good.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    So hyped about this win. News Flash, Purdue has a pretty damn good defense. Short has been amazing this season. Might be 1st Team All-American good.
    They are getting better, but until they can prove it week in and week out, not sure that I am buying the good defense part. Anyways happy that we grabbed the win.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    They are getting better, but until they can prove it week in and week out, not sure that I am buying the good defense part. Anyways happy that we grabbed the win.
    Yeah I know this is going to come off as me trolling--but I wouldn't get too excited if I were you guys. IU even played Penn State close. They are easily the worst 1 loss team in the country. Their offense is abysmal. I'm still trying to figure out how they dropped 30+ on Northwestern. Illinois has been a farce all season. They had one decent win against Arizona State, an okay team, but the Sun Devils outplayed them that entire game. It's amazing the Illini won that game. Couple that with squeaky wins against teams like Western Michigan and such...yeah. They were a farce.

All that said, you guys are actually showing improvement as the season goes on. The hilariously named TerBush seems like he might be a decent QB for you guys.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed.

Purdue still isn't good at all.

Though, were it not for a blocked FG against Rice (amidst a comedy of errors by both the players and coaches) they'd be a bowl elgible team thanks to their schedule.

I originally said the Purdue/IU game was a toss up and I was leaning towards IU since they were at home. That's changed. Purdue is a markedly better team than IU. That doesn't mean they'll win. Purdue has certainly showed more than an ability to lose games it should win. But that IU game is one it should win. I'm not ready to put IU with Minnesota in the worst Big Ten team of all-time discussion, but they're close.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Agreed.

Purdue still isn't good at all.

Though, were it not for a blocked FG against Rice (amidst a comedy of errors by both the players and coaches) they'd be a bowl elgible team thanks to their schedule.

I originally said the Purdue/IU game was a toss up and I was leaning towards IU since they were at home. That's changed. Purdue is a markedly better team than IU. That doesn't mean they'll win. Purdue has certainly showed more than an ability to lose games it should win. But that IU game is one it should win. I'm not ready to put IU with Minnesota in the worst Big Ten team of all-time discussion, but they're close.
    Yeah, I agree. I actually think our offense is getting better with Tre Roberson at QB, but our defense is a complete mess and the more I watch, the more I agree that we are a poorly coached team. That's not necessarily an indictment on Wilson, but I question his coordinators, especially the defensive guys. Stupid penalties kill us too, and that's always a sign of a poorly coached/young team. Purdue should beat IU, but it's a rivalry game and it's in Bloomington, so anything can happen.

Sports Logo

Apparently one of Jacob Lawson and Donnie Hale MAY redshirt. Not too sure I agree with that. The froncourt's already thin on talent and experience. I know there's the annual report of Sandi Marcius progressing well and yada yada but until he actually shows it on the floor it's just more talk.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That would be rough for Hale . . . he's already waited a year to play.

I hear Bade's coming back

/green, fine.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah I know this is going to come off as me trolling--but I wouldn't get too excited if I were you guys. IU even played Penn State close. They are easily the worst 1 loss team in the country. Their offense is abysmal. I'm still trying to figure out how they dropped 30+ on Northwestern. Illinois has been a farce all season. They had one decent win against Arizona State, an okay team, but the Sun Devils outplayed them that entire game. It's amazing the Illini won that game. Couple that with squeaky wins against teams like Western Michigan and such...yeah. They were a farce.

All that said, you guys are actually showing improvement as the season goes on. The hilariously named TerBush seems like he might be a decent QB for you guys.
    I will say the difference to me with the Penn State situation is that Purdue went to PSU one of the hardest places to play, I think, and almost pulled out a victory. That says a lot more to me than coming close to beating them at home.

With that being said we can play this game with Iowa as well. They have put up points this year but do not have the typically strong defense that they normally have. Also their losses this year have came on the road, one come at the hands of those horrible Nittany Lions.

OSU is showing better but their offense is still a question mark, I still think they have a big upperhand on us for the matchup.

I think Mich and Wisconson will beat us up pretty good, which will help OSU out, I propose us beating Iowa at home and using that momentum to go down to IU and beat them to lock up a spot.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Apparently one of Jacob Lawson and Donnie Hale MAY redshirt. Not too sure I agree with that. The froncourt's already thin on talent and experience. I know there's the annual report of Sandi Marcius progressing well and yada yada but until he actually shows it on the floor it's just more talk.
    Yeah hopefully they don't. I mean bigs will be okay but i just like how many different lineups that gives us with both of those guys active.
    Why so SERIOUS

^^OSU offense has to improve dramatically before it can be called a question mark. If you haven't seen any of their games, it is bad beyond belief.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    That would be rough for Hale . . . he's already waited a year to play.
    Man, didn't even consider that. I don't mean to plant any seeds or anything, but if wanted to be a Boilermaker bad enough to go to prep school until there was a scholarship for me, then I got redshirted, I'd probably at least think about a transfer.

I'm just not really a fan of redshirting in basketball in general, an argument could me made sitting John Hart has put us in a tough spot.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Painter on the upcoming season:

Head coach Matt Painter addressed the 2011-2012 season outlook at Purdue Basketball media day on Tuesday. Here’s what he had to say:

On the team’s identity:

“We have three seniors that have started full seasons,” Painter said. “Our best offensive team and our best defensive team are two separate teams. That’s where we lie right now. You like one group at one end of the court and you like another group on one end of the court.”

On the defense:

“Our best defensive player is, without question, Kelsey Barlow,” Painter said. “Lew (Jackson) does a good job of putting pressure on the ball, but he’s very disruptive in the half court. Him and Rob (Hummel) were the only two guys that played at a high level in our scrimmage the other day. Terone (Johnson) is hampered by his injury, coming off the meniscus surgery in August, so he doesn’t have his conditioning, doesn’t quite move as much as he’s capable.

“I’ve always thought Rob Hummel was under-appreciated as a defensive player. But he’s a good team defensive guy. He knows what’s going on. He can communicate these things and does a good job stopping the basketball. Ryne Smith has had to work awfully hard to get in the game from the defensive standpoint. I don’t look at him as a stopper, but he’s a cerebral guy, knows what’s going on, knows the scouting report.”

On Lewis Jackson:

“He hurt his foot and why he’s out is he sprained his ankle,” Painter said. “He’s been able to push through some things and we took him out of some of the workouts in the fall. I’m not concerned with it as much. You just don’t want it to nag the whole year. It might be one of those things where it does nag him the rest of the year, with that being said, that’s kind of par for the course. It’s not enough to keep him out.

“Lew’s a competitor. He’s a tough kid. When you have those kind of characteristics, I normally don’t worry about you.”

On freshmen Donnie Hale and Jacob Lawson:

“They both can can help us with their athleticism,” Painter said. “They’re simply going to have to beat out some people ... There was a big recruiting tool in saying we were going to lose 35 minutes that now we haven’t lost. Both of them understand that’s their position.

“Trying to get figured out what’s best for them and what’s best for us might be two different things, because there’s only so many minutes at that spot unless we play incredibly small.”

On redshirting Hale or Lawson:

“Yeah, I would think so,” Painter said. “It’s something I don’t talk to those guys about until we get through the exhibition games. They both could play well in the exhibition games. As a coach, you want to do what’s best for them.”

On Lawson’s Achilles:

“I think the one thing that happens a lot with young guys is system overload,” Painter said. “You throw so many things at them in terms of your rules and your principles on defense. You’re making them run hard every time, you’re making them play hard on defense. You’re holding them accountable and it’s hard. You see the smoke coming out of their ears at practice.

“We recruited him for his motor, for his energy, for his high athleticism, but we just have to get him on the same page as everyone else. It’s hard for guys like that to make that adjustment. He’s got a long way to go, but all freshmen have a long way to go. I felt the same way about guys that have been All-Conference as freshmen. It’s a hard thing. The one thing about guys with athleticism and talent is you always want more from them. Jacob’s a very, very talented guy, but he still has to learn our system. His effects from his Achilles, you see the flashes. You don’t see it continuous.”
    http://www.purdueexponent.org/sports...acdd12cb3.html

I would think Lawson would maybe be redshirted before Hale, but ya the frount court is kinda iffy as it is.

Can Purdue beat Michigan? I'm not convinced they can't.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Can Purdue beat Michigan? I'm not convinced they can't.
    In the Big House? No chance. None.

There's something about this Purdue team. They have talent. The defense is really good. Terbush has grown from the first game. He's managing this team a lot better. I actually get what they're trying to do on offense. I don't think Terbush makes the best decisions with the option reads, but he's improving.

Purdue's defensive line, especially the DT's ,are really good.

Denard Robinson is great when he's running, but his passing sucks and Michigan let's him do too much of it. It finally caught up with him against MSU. I was telling my buddy who's a ND fan, that Robinson wasnt passing all over them because he's a great passer. He was passing all over them because ND's db's sucked. All his big passes were toss ups where his receivers went and got. He throws floaters. If he does that tommorow, Purdue can win.

Also, Purdue wasn't to phased by going into a hostile Happy Valley and playing in crappy wind. I doubt " The Big House " will overwhelm them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's something about this Purdue team. They have talent. The defense is really good. Terbush has grown from the first game. He's managing this team a lot better. I actually get what they're trying to do on offense. I don't think Terbush makes the best decisions with the option reads, but he's improving.

Purdue's defensive line, especially the DT's ,are really good.

Denard Robinson is great when he's running, but his passing sucks and Michigan let's him do too much of it. It finally caught up with him against MSU. I was telling my buddy who's a ND fan, that Robinson wasnt passing all over them because he's a great passer. He was passing all over them because ND's db's sucked. All his big passes were toss ups where his receivers went and got. He throws floaters. If he does that tommorow, Purdue can win.

Also, Purdue wasn't to phased by going into a hostile Happy Valley and playing in crappy wind. I doubt " The Big House " will overwhelm them.
    Are you watching the same team im watching??

... at least basketball starts Tuesday...

Speaking of basketball, this is absolutely ridiculous:

In a bit of stunning news Saturday, considering the personal battled endured over the last year, it was announced Saturday evening that Drey Mingo has torn her ACL and is likely out for the season.

The injury, which occurred during Purdue's closed Saturday's scrimmage vs. Indiana State in Terre Haute, is a huge blow to the Boilermakers, who opened the first Associate Press poll, released earlier in the day, at No. 17.

Although Purdue says it's not yet been determined whether Mingo will apply for a sixth year, the chances of success of such a venture would appear to be minimal; the senior's career at Purdue is likely over.

It's the latest in a trying past 11 months for Mingo. In November, she fell ill with bacterial meningitis, with doctors giving her a 50-50 shot at survival. She spent a week in the hospital, but lived, returning to the court to become one of the Big Ten's best post players for the last month of the season.

The injury is the second ACL to a Boilermaker in the last two seasons, and third in the last five. Point guard KK Houser tore hers in the third minute of the opener last season, sitting her for the year. Of course, Purdue had been besieged by ACLs in the last few athletic seasons, with Robbie Hummel twice on the men's basketball team; Robert Marve, Keith Smith, Ralph Bolden and Rob Henry and others for the football team; and Anna Drewry for volleyball.
    What. The. Heck.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 10-30-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Any one see the exhibition game? I think Hummel is back. Sandi, Carrol, and Hale looked like they could make a decent front court. Also, can't wait to see AJ in action more, that kid can score.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Any one see the exhibition game? I think Hummel is back. Sandi, Carrol, and Hale looked like they could make a decent front court. Also, can't wait to see AJ in action more, that kid can score.
    Didn't see it, just followed the gamecast. Carroll putting up a dozen in limited minutes was nice, but 0 boards ain't gonna cut it. Am pretty excited about AJ, does seem like he can fill it up.

Like I said though, didn't actually see it. It's on BTN Wednesday at 4pm, head's up.