Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

I'd guess Harris comes here, but that is based off nothing. I think it is pretty close though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the same token, who has Crean really had to develop while at IU? At Marquette Crean was viewed as an average recruiter who landed a ton of 3 stars and still competed in the Big East.
    Well anyone I guess, not necessarily developing to the NBA level but I mean Verdell Jones has not got better since he has been down here. The big man have not really progressed.

But I am also not watching as close as a die hard IU fan is.

Also yeah Hollowell.

So their line up that year will be Ferrell/Harris/Hollowell/Panar(however you spell it)/Zeller

With Patterson and Creek contributing. Best wishes to Creek by the way. I know they should also have a good backup center.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Also for some reason I just do not have a good feeling about him coming to Purdue. I just think Purdue has too much going for themselves with him, and for him to have not signed yet does not seem like a very good sign.

He has probably been visiting there since he was a kid, both parents played there, he was born there. He has had a ton of visits since he has been in HS, it is in-state. One of his AAU teammates are going there.

I think I have just seen so many people recently that have been thought to be close to locks for Purdue turn away that I have weak feelings about big recruits signing with us.

Actually I can not think of one big recruit that signed with us.(Not thinking of Hummel, Martin, Johnson, Moore as big recruits)
    Why so SERIOUS

2012 4* 7 footer AJ Hammons committed today. Much as I want Harris, a true post with actual basketball skills was sorely needed, really nice get. Haven't seen Hammons play, just read reports, apparently has a "questionable motor." Either that's been corrected in his time in prep school or it soon will be under Painter, that or he just won't play. Still a scholarship open for Harris if he wants it.

Far as Harris, he's not your average 5* gimme the spotlight kinda recruit. He and his family're doing everything possible to be proof positive they find the right fit. There's nothing to read into about leans or anything, just stuff you read from "experts." I think he winds up in black and gold, but I'm a bit biased.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 10-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Purdue's 2012 class up to 9th on ESPN

Hammons is the kid who was originally at Carmel right? If so, I've heard a lot of mixed stuff about him. From a lot of what I read, he certainly doesn't seem like a "Purdue" type though. However, if I'm thinking of the right guy his talent is through the roof so if he pans out he's probably worth the risk, the old rule of you can win as long as you only have one crazy person on the team.

Also, it'd be sort of shcoking to me if Harris ends up at Purdue, they've been pretty firmly #4 on the list every time you check on him. Granted IU has pretty much been firmly #4a so I don't think he'll end up in state.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Well anyone I guess, not necessarily developing to the NBA level but I mean Verdell Jones has not got better since he has been down here. The big man have not really progressed.

But I am also not watching as close as a die hard IU fan is.

Also yeah Hollowell.

So their line up that year will be Ferrell/Harris/Hollowell/Panar(however you spell it)/Zeller

With Patterson and Creek contributing. Best wishes to Creek by the way. I know they should also have a good backup center.
    I think Verdell is a lot better than he was as a freshman...he still sucks though for the amount of time he has the ball. I think Hulls took some big leaps last year as well. Plus Elston was siginificantly better from freshman to sophomore. Watford has shown steady progression.

The proof will be in the pudding for Crean the next two years, we're either a top 3 or 4 Big Ten team in 2012 or he's gonna be in trouble.

Hammons is the kid who was originally at Carmel right? If so, I've heard a lot of mixed stuff about him. From a lot of what I read, he certainly doesn't seem like a "Purdue" type though. However, if I'm thinking of the right guy his talent is through the roof so if he pans out he's probably worth the risk, the old rule of you can win as long as you only have one crazy person on the team.

Also, it'd be sort of shcoking to me if Harris ends up at Purdue, they've been pretty firmly #4 on the list every time you check on him. Granted IU has pretty much been firmly #4a so I don't think he'll end up in state.
    Yeah, Hammons is the Carmel kid that went to Oak Hill in VA for his senior year. I don't know what you mean by "crazy type," just seems kind of lazy from what I understand, not mentally unstable or something. Some AAU message board watchers (always reliable) sorta make it sound like Hammons needs a fire lit under his ***, just not a self motivator. We all know Painter has no problem making his guys earn court time, probably the single thing I like most about him. Don't see any "risk" with him, not anymore than those that come with any recruit anyway.

On Harris, #4 on whose list? The order they're listed on Scout/Rivals/ESPN? Like I said before, there's absolutely no way to get a credible read on the kid. The kid could go to Wabash and it wouldn't shock me. OK, it would, but I'm just saying there's nothing to do but guess. Ronnie Johnson (who I think I'm going to adore as a PG) and Rapeal Davis as AAU teammates can't hurt though.

No, not the order they're listed, just the inside scuttle butt. You say Harris has kept his recruitment under wraps, I say that for the most part he's been considered a pretty out in the open Michigan State lean for most his recruitment. I have access to the Peegs paid board, and while I'm not always the biggest Peegs fan there is no doubt the guy is connected and a lot of what I have read on there suggests Michigan State all the way. Kentucky is a late pusher and don't be surprised if he becomes this years "Teague".

Also, I've heard more about Hammons than just lazy, maybe crazy is the wrong way to put it, but the kid has been rumored to have some serious 'tude problems. I'm not doubting that Painter can control him, but the kid's definitely got some question marks around him. It's why he is a 4 star and not a 5 star because he has 5 star talent.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-14-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    What on Earth makes you think that?
    PSU offense if horrible. They're not in the top 50 in passing or running. They are 93rd in points scored ( 21.5 ) . You would think that's because they played great defenses, but actually, they only scored 16 against IU and 13 against Iowa, 10 against Temple.

Terbush might be the best QB on the field.

PSU might be without there best receiver, Derrick Moye

I'm not sure what offense Purdue runs, but it looks like the one Florida ran with Percy Harvin being the focus playmaker. I think Purdue needs to get Antavian Edison involved more. Get the ball to him on more down screens and let him make plays.

I feel like if Purdue doesn't turn the ball over, 20 points could win this game. Field Goals will feel like touchdowns, because PSU has an outstanding defense, but there offense is bad, so field goals will add up.

Mood

@Trader Joe

I think Hulls was better than most of the people on the team his freshman year but did not get the PT he should have at first, he is actually and has been my favorite player on their team. I just do not see it with Jones, seems his shot selection still sucks, he is still turnover prone, he dribbles to much, and he luckily does not get called for carrying the ball as much as he does.

@everyone

Hammons from what I seen is pretty much what you guys have mentioned, a lot of talent, and questionable motor. I think he likes basketball though, and if he wants to continue to get time playing in Painters system then that definitely will change.

Harris, I know the family is looking for the best fit but I mean I just think that if the choice were Purdue he would have made the jump. As far as who ranks highest on his list, no one really knows at all, I mean it is writers ideas to assume and try to put together things that suggest a player will do this or that. I think in the next couple of weeks we will have a good idea, everyone though player X coming to Purdue and then he went to a school up in Michigan. Just saying.
    Why so SERIOUS

The school up in Michigan also gave away a scholarship to a PG buddy that didn't deserve it. Just syaing.

Are you guys speaking in code? haha

infiltratorway! opstay ethay andenbray awsonday alktay!

I'm late to this, but I think Hammons is a great pickup for Purdue. He seems like the type of guy who has all kinds of potential, he just needs someone to get it out of him. Painter showed with JaJuan Johnson that he can develop big men. Great pickup for the Boilers. I really like that one.

Hammons is actually more polished than JaJuan was from a talent stand point.

Mood

They are also two different style of big man, Purdue has been looking for this for a long time now. Johnson was decent in the low post but did not have the strength or build to compete down there like Hammons does. Hammons is a true center while Johnson is more of a 4 almost 3 position.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Just thought of something, I will be excited for 2012

Line up

Barlow/Johnson/Hart(Hale)/Lawson/Carroll

With Backups being

R Johnson/T Johnson/Davis/Hale/Hammons

I like how that group sounds.

Of course if Harris comes then things will be a little different.
    Why so SERIOUS

I'm just excited that the IU/Purdue rivalry has a chance to be the other premier rivalry in the country alongside UNC/Duke again. IU/UK could be really good too. Ah, give me some hoops!

EDIT: I think Hammons will start.

Hammons is actually more polished than JaJuan was from a talent stand point.
    Honestly, JJ had pretty close to no basketball talent as a freshman. Insane athlete, but that was really about it. The year to year improvements that kid made were incredible. I don't mean to diminish Painter or anything, clearly he played a huge role in JJ's development, but not ever kid's going to have a work ethic like that. Once is a point, two's a trend.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 10-14-2011 at 06:03 PM.

you forgot Jay Simpson Really? He's probably (should be) better than either of Hale and Lawson. Between Hale, Lawson, Simpson, and Hammons there should finally be some nice depth with the bigs.

Mood

Yeah sure did forget about Jay, I think he will come off the bench his first year for sure, he is still learning how to play effective with his asthma. If Lawson can get back to the athletic form he showed before the injury I think he has potential to be very good, more of a tweener though, him and Hale.

I also think at the beginning of the season Carroll will be starting, I could see Hammons possibly making a push for a lot of playing time near the end of his freshman year. With his work ethic I could see his first year a s a long learning experience.

Different topic but I hope that Jay working with Hanner and Raphel will really help him out and get him into better shape. He could turn out to be the best player in the recruiting class, I still think Hammons is the only one with NBA potential though.
    Why so SERIOUS

Predicting - Purdue 13 PSU 21

Wow. Danny Hope is so horrible.

That was not an interception. I can't believe that ruling stood.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post: