Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Default Re: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...draft-combine/

Hummel's apparently impressing at the combine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully he makes it, he's got what it takes to be a good rotational player in the NBA if he keeps working at it.. Hopefully those knees hold up for him!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it is pretty big that he isn't wearing the brace. I don't think he really need him, but man I'd be happy if he were here!

Heard him on the radio the other day, Dakich I'm pretty sure, said his knee feels good as ever. Which makes sense now that he's so far removed from the last tear. Obviously it'll always be a concern but I'm really excited for him, I think he's going to carve out a decent little career in the NBA.

Also, Purdue's announcing a new president sometime this week. Potentially big ramifications for athletics.

^ Looks like Mitch Daniels. Don't know what this means for athletics--seems bad for academics though (no offense to any Daniels fans)

I really don't know what to think. On one hand, obviously plenty of legislative influence and corporate ties, those certainly don't hurt. On the other I'm a bit concerned that those ties could lead to potential cuts in programs other than hard sciences. I honestly haven't followed closely enough, but I hope there's no cuts to things like financial aid.

I could see it being a huge success and also a massive failure.

How could Daniels be anything but good news for Purdue athletics?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm talking about him in general as a prez. I guess it's probably a good thing for athletics, Daniels at least likes to watch a sporting event every now and then. That's an improvement over Cordova. We can forget those lights at Ross-Ade though.

Really? This is the governor that helped get Lucas Oil built and brought the Super Bowl here. I'd say this is brilliant news for Purdue athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? This is the governor that helped get Lucas Oil built and brought the Super Bowl here. I'd say this is brilliant news for Purdue athletics.
    You're not getting massive amounts of state funding and taxpayer support to build a sports facility at a state school. When I talked about the Ross-Ade lights it was because there's a big (at least online) push to get permanent lights there for night games. I agree it'd be fun, but I don't see it being cost effective (estimates are around 2 mil for lights). That's why I don't see it happening anytime soon, unless Danny Hope becomes, well, not Danny Hope.

From an athletic standpoint I do think it's a positive in that it seems Daniels values the exposure and appeal good sports teams can bring. I don't mean to say Purdue's got a bunch of banners (from generations ago ) to brag about, but they're certainly a very good program in a basketball mad state. It hurts that they aren't Indiana A&M or something, and I'm glad they aren't, but it does hurt recognition. But it's a historically respected program with plenty of success in their own right and the marketing ability of that really has been overlooked in my opinion, not even just hoops, just athletics overall. The school doesn't push the marketability of athletics like they could/should. Obviously IU's had greater hoops success, but if they can balance being a very good school in their own right with perpetually pushing the student environment type scenario of athletics Purdue could learn plenty from them.

Gonna be interesting that's for sure, I just hope it's not strictly a "let's get headlines" move.

Daniels is a heck of a spokesman. All it takes is finding the right donor. Heck, IU spent 50 million dollars on our football program. I think Daniels is more than capable of raising a couple million to put lights on the football stadium. I don't see any reason to think that wouldn't happen now.

I think Daniels will do well, it's a little amusing considering his stance on public education and leadership for public education in the state, but maybe this is a chance for Daniels to back up his talk and show how he thinks a public education institution should be run.

I am a Daniels supporter, so I wish he would have aimed for a slightly higher presidential office (you know, like one in DC ) but I think he will be good for Purdue and specifically for Purdue athletics. Daniels definitely likes making money and the best way to do that in college is to have a big time sports program.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

No idea what to think on the Daniels thing, but it is certainly interesting.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Kelsey Barlow just committed to Illinois Chicago. Coulda sworn he'd end up involved in the Dwight Howard trade.

Illinois Chicago is the perfect place for Barlow. That place runs such a scummy program, they will take anyone.

Another stupid **** got arrested at Where Else. Some backup DB (allegedly...probably from what I hear from friends, but yeah, allegedly) jacked a girl in the face, ran from cops, all the cool stuff kids are doing these days.

Don't blame the bar. Get your damn **** together Purdue, this is embarrassing. Kick one of these idiots off the team Hope, it's not like you've got anything but an Alamo Bowl on the line.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/201...ustration.html

I didn't know if you guys had seen this before. It is a blog written by Mark Titus, a bench warmer for OSU about two years ago. He talks about Purdue in this blog, and is a pretty funny read. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/201...ustration.html

I didn't know if you guys had seen this before. It is a blog written by Mark Titus, a bench warmer for OSU about two years ago. He talks about Purdue in this blog, and is a pretty funny read. Check it out.
    Mark Titus is a bad writer. It was cute when he was a benchwarmer with a blog and could give some glancing insights. Now he obviously can't do that. He's one of the terrible bloggers that grew up thinking Simmons was (sort of) respected because he was "hip" and threw in pop culture references as often as possible. It's not just a coincidence that he gets a bunch of crap published on Grantland next to such in depth analysis by this moronic generation's Bukowski wannabe Chuck Klosterman. I got high at a party once and talked to a random dude about how formulaic modern rock is too Chuck.

I don't want to rant, but I seriously cannot express how just low brow that **** is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mark Titus is a bad writer. It was cute when he was a benchwarmer with a blog and could give some glancing insights. Now he obviously can't do that. He's one of the terrible bloggers that grew up thinking Simmons was (sort of) respected because he was "hip" and threw in pop culture references as often as possible. It's not just a coincidence that he gets a bunch of crap published on Grantland next to such in depth analysis by this moronic generation's Bukowski wannabe Chuck Klosterman. I got high at a party once and talked to a random dude about how formulaic modern rock is too Chuck.

I don't want to rant, but I seriously cannot express how just low brow that **** is.
    ...however, until pynchon starts writing about middle of the pack Big ten teams, we are stuck...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

I agree with Titus. Massive tool. One of those guys who thinks its cool to talk **** about his hometown now that he didn't live there anymore. Constantly bashing us as fairweather hicks. Just rehashing old indiana rhetoric that is clearly dated. Anyone with half a brain could see that.

Klosterman on the other hand, I disagree. I like him. He probably wrote the best article I read all last year, about the Tim Tebow phenomenon.

Not saying it is in fact their fault, but it is odd that everything is happening at Where Else?

Remember Kyle Molock? He's a freshman at St. Joe's now and just tore his ACL AGAIN, that's 3 times before he even steps on an NCAA floor. Poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Not saying it is in fact their fault, but it is odd that everything is happening at Where Else?
    At what point are you going to start your Purdue 2012-2013 athletics thread? You started it last year, and I followed suit, so I will honor the precedent and wait for you. Summer before football season seems like when you did it last year.

Edit: Easy enough for me to check, it was August 25.

Well thanks, but you can feel free to when ever you want.

There's no point for me yet, the iu thread gets more traffic any way.