Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Tough loss there. Those couple of possessions at the end where Purdue did nothing but dribble killed them. They waited too long into the shot clock to try something. They seemed to be playing not to lose.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Looked like Jackson was tripped there when he lost ball that led to the to the break away.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rough loss. No movement at all on those last two possessions. They had a great game plan, and they executed, but they couldn't seal the deal.

Upside is the returning guys got some great experience. Hopefully they can learn from it, and hopefully the signs of life we saw from Marcius and Carroll carry over to next season. And hopefully Terone figures out his free throw shooting.

Wow what a game. I don't think I have ever felt worse for a player than Robbie Hummel. After everything he went through and came back this year and played like he did it is sad to see his career end especially in such a heartbreaking fashion.

Matt Painter did a fabulous job this year. The Boilers had a great game plan tonight they just couldn't make the one or two more plays needed to put this one away. Tough loss.

They went balls out, can't ask for more. I've been critical of Painter, but these two games, he at least came close to earning that top-10 salary--with a big assist from Hummel.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Looking back, that ridiculous flagrant on Smith and uncalled goaltending on the AJ reverse really, really hurt

Are you guys really happy with Painter's late game coaching there? Everyone literally just stood there watching Lewis Jackson and you had gotten all your good looks off movement.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you guys really happy with Painter's late game coaching there? Everyone literally just stood there watching Lewis Jackson and you had gotten all your good looks off movement.
    Not sure how you're inferring that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So proud but so disappointed in the end. I hated the dribbling the clock out. Such a good game til then but did not get good looks on the last two possessions. Lew turning it over was about the worst thing that couldve happened and Robs shot was terrible but I think he could've gotten a better look than that 3. Then they go out on a break and we can't even foul them.

Very proud of the effort, but we should've pulled it out.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 03-19-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Great effort. Great game plan. Unfortunately just poor execution last two possessions. A performance to be proud of despite the loss and disappointment. I was pulling for you.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Robbie Hummel. You will be missed. What a great example for Purdue players now and in the future. Class act, all the way.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Not sure how you're inferring that.
    Dal9 said he felt like Painter had earned his salary, well and I'm not trying to start a war here or anything, but I thought Painter's coaching during the last two minutes (really more like the whole second half) of the KU game was the most pitiful thing I've seen all season. Purdue had been beating KU senseless with good movement at the top of the key and keeping KU's defenders chasing, and for the final ten minutes, it became a Lewis Jackson dribble fest and the last two minutes were just an unmitigated disaster IMO. I felt like there were quite a few times this season where Painter just didn't bring it in the last couple minutes of close games with his sets.

Anyway, Hummel had an amazing game and an amazing career. Great player and kid, wish they could have won for him yesterday.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm an IU fan and alumn, but I don't have the hatred for Purdue that many IU fans have. I wouldn't have minded seeing them win last night. It's nice to have successful Big 10 teams.

Those last couple of possessions were just pathetic and would make me want to beat my head into a wall if I were a Purdue fan. Purdue had a great possession towards the end where Hummel got the ball at the top of the key and then hit a guy cutting for a layup. But after that it was just awful offensive execution and that has to fall on the coach. They dribbled for like 25 second and by the time they figured out that they actually had to shoot the ball it was way too late. You would have thought that one failed possession would have made this clear but then they came right back and did it again, only this time they turned the ball over instead of forcing up a garbage shot.

You can't play scared like that against one of the best teams in the country in Kansas. If you play not to lose then you will in fact lose. You've got to go for the jugular and do what was working for you all game.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-19-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Looking back, that ridiculous flagrant on Smith and uncalled goaltending on the AJ reverse really, really hurt
    That was the big momentum change of the game, and it started with DJ saving the ball out of bounds right to a Kansas fast break. Horrible, horrible mistake, and a textbook example of how one little thing can snowball.

I watched the game on tape-delay, and since nobody called me I figured we lost. Don't think I could have handled that game live. Still, we left everything on the floor, that's all you can ever ask for.

Lastly, I think Painter has done an exceptional coaching job the last few weeks. I was down on the coaching, but the huge change after Barlow left really points to him being a toxic presence in the locker room. And I still can't believe what we saw from Sandi and Travis. Either that's exceptional game prep, or we've discovered some new super drug that instills ability and IQ overnight.

This all has proven to me the problem isn't coaching, it's recruiting. All these guards are nice and all, but we need some freaking beef, especially in the conference we play. I'm willing to accept Matt's spin on his power play last year, but we need to see some results from that now. Hopefully next year will be the last time we see a graduating class wholly equivalent of the likes of DJ Bird and John Hart.

[edit] As for the late game criticism, I understand it, but too many people on this board act like play-calling is all there is to coaching. That makes some sense in the pros, but come on. What it took to get to those last two minutes dwarfs that completely. At some point you have to put the ball in your seniors' hands and say it's up to them.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 03-19-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

First off I am really proud of our guys, they really put it all out there, I am proud of our coach as well, he really got creative and got the most out of his players in this game.

Disappointed that some of the possessions did not go like I would have liked near the end, but DJ got a good look and did not make the shot, Hummel got a good look at the end of the game and did not make the shot, but that is basketball, Painter had faith in his players and just because those last couple of drives did not turnout the way that I would have liked he still did a wonderful job coaching, I am glad that Robbie got to taste success in the tourney for his final year, it really sucked that he could not be with the guys last year, but this has to help.

All and all good job, now I am ready to cheer for the woman tonight.... BOILER UP
    Why so SERIOUS

The final possessions looked bad, but one of several things could have gone wrong, not necessarily due to MP.

The other thing is that "spread the floor and let LJ take his guy to the hoop" has been one of the most successful crunch-time "plays" this year (as sad as that may be).

----------------------------------

EDIT: Nice article by Doyle at CBS:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sketballs-loss

This is line from it is great:
    Put it this way: Hummel's been through so much, I'd forgotten about his broken back.

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2: NBA Draft.net has Hummel going to the Pacers at 52. Would be fun.

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft
    Last edited by dal9; 03-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Love that line dal9.

Also LOVE this video. Makes me sad:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    The final possessions looked bad, but one of several things could have gone wrong, not necessarily due to MP.

The other thing is that "spread the floor and let LJ take his guy to the hoop" has been one of the most successful crunch-time "plays" this year (as sad as that may be).

----------------------------------

EDIT: Nice article by Doyle at CBS:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sketballs-loss

This is line from it is great:

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2: NBA Draft.net has Hummel going to the Pacers at 52. Would be fun.

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft
    Yup but we no longer have that pick... I think depending on who slides we could try to buy a pick though, a lot of quality guys that could add depth to teams should still be there.
    Why so SERIOUS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

After last year, I seriously have no interest in watching the 2nd round ever again. Of course, I remember how shocked I was when Brad wasn't drafted, but it ended up being the best thing that could have happened for him.

It's been a while, but I haven't had the opportunity to write much.

One of the things that I enjoy about the NCAA tournament and the NBA playoffs is that I actually get to talk basketball with the guys I work with. I eat lunch with the basketball coaches at the school where I teach every day, but they never watch the Boilers or Pacers play unless it's a post-season game.

That being said, they were incredibly impressed with Painter's coaching during the Purdue game. They perceived, correctly, that Purdue had a significant talent deficit compared to Kansas, and they attributed the close nature of the game largely to Painter's ability to manipulate match-ups and force Kansas into a style of game that suited Purdue rather than Kansas. They also thought his use of time outs and set plays at the end of the game was excellent. One of them also swears that just as Jackson loses the ball on the final play Hummel slips a screen and is wide open cutting to the hoop for an easy lay-up. I was as upset as anybody at the Lewis Jackson dribble-fest at the end of the game, but I suppose there's something to be said for trusting your 4-year starter, senior PG who also happens to be the best shot-creator on your team. More than anything, Jackson pissed down his leg, and it's hard to blame Painter for that.

Overall, I was more impressed with Painter's coaching this season than ever before. He had a team that was pretty low on talent and had no ability to succeed with a traditional style. Yet even with a starter getting kicked off the team, they only had 2 bad losses (Penn State & Butler) all season.

I'm fascinated to see what he does next season. I'm also playing mental games trying to guess the starting lineup. It seems like you've got 3 freshman who should be good enough to start (Johnson, Davis, Hammons) and 2 incumbents who've earned starting positions or big minutes (T. Johnson, Byrd). However, they'll also finally have enough talented bigs to play a more traditional lineup. In that case, I could see Lawson starting alongside Hammons and Terone, D.J., or Raphael Davis being the 6th man.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Posted a status yesterday about how I was rooting for UK over iu, and my iu friend thought that was ridiculous. I get that uk is kinda a slimey school, and I hate them too, and I do want Indiana and the Big Ten to be represented well, but I could and would never ever root for iu under any circumstance.

I don't know if I hate iu more than most, or they just don't understand the rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I don't know if I hate iu more than most, or they just don't understand the rivalry.
    I was like that when I was your age, but I eventually grew out of it. Of course, it helps that Knight's not there anymore.

I could see that. I find crean very dis-likable too.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I'm going to miss Robbie. He was just so fun to watch. Purdue was Final Four bound in 2010 before he got injured.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

IU is like the bossy older brother who always brags, Purdue is the middle child who can never really achieve much, Butler is the youngest who can eventually top his older brothers.

Notre Dame is like the weird cousin who you don't really care happens to them.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post: