Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

Default Re: Purdue 2011-2012 Athletics thread

So, I can't say I'm really sorry to see Barlow himself gone, he was always more trouble than he was worth, but Jesus, what the **** kind of team are we gonna field next year?

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

It does open a scholarship for next year. Don't know if there's any out there but maybe we could go for another Brandon Wood situation (but actually have him enroll) and take a mid-major guy that's already graduated. Maybe a JuCo, though Painter doesn't seem to have any interest in them.

Probably it just goes to Dru Anthrop though.

Damn, I went to look up Barlow's birthday (I read his 21st was Tuesday), and he's already been removed from the roster. Cold.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m...askbl-mtt.html

I can't believe I'm sticking up for this kid of all people, but if you have one night in your life to have a license to **** up, it's when you go out to celebrate your 21st. I'm guessing that was the case here, and he waited until after Wednesday's game.

Of course, he could have just been on a three day bender. Or a three year bender for that matter.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, I can't say I'm really sorry to see Barlow himself gone, he was always more trouble than he was worth, but Jesus, what the **** kind of team are we gonna field next year?

good question.

start with the "twin towers" of Chooch and Carroll at the 5 & 4...

More seriously:

C: Carroll
    PF: Byrd (?)
    SF: Hart (???)
    SG: AJohnson
    PG: Terone

ugly.

Backups at the 5/4:Chooch, Lawson, Hale, Hammons

At the 1/3: Ronnie Johnson, Davis(??), scrub graduate transfer?

At least it opens up quite a few minutes for Davis and Ronnie right away. Wouldn't be surprised if Davis starts from day one.

Come on. Purdue can't catch a break. Why are these guys partying like they're a top 5 seed in the dance??? This is.a bubble team, out drinking it up before a huge game. ****ing stupid. Seriously. If Hummel and Jackson were there too, they need to sit out. That's horrible leadership.

If Carrol wants to redeem himself this season, put Dawson on his *** a few times.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow Barlow is gone, that really sucks...
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    At least it opens up quite a few minutes for Davis and Ronnie right away. Wouldn't be surprised if Davis starts from day one.
    That's what I was thinking.

If any of the bigs can manage to walk and chew gum at the same time, I'd much rather start a tradional lineup as opposed to Byrd at the 4. (Hell, in a perfect world Byrd woudn't start at all, but lord knows that ain't gonna happen.) We'll have enough bigs, I think I'd rather just rather rotate them all through the 4 and 5 than play small ball. I don't think we can do that anymore without Robbie there to clean up the boards.

My concern with Ronnie is he'll make the other Johnsons look like Dale and Antonio Davis.

Mood

A couple of things, Purdue still had/have a good shot at making the tourney, there is nothing wrong with them going out as a team and having a good time, The game was not the next day, and at this point any positive thing that can happen for the team should be a source of celebration, i.e. Illinois win.

Also I do not think the team next year will be that bad, I think Hammons has a good chance to start over Carroll, Sandi as well.

I could see the line up as:

PG Terone, possibly Ronnie
    SG AJ possibly Hart
    SF Donnie possibly Raphael
    PF Lawson
    C Hammons

Our bench has potential as well

PG Ronnie
    SG Hart
    SF Raphael
    PF Sampson
    C Sandi, Carroll

We will have a young team but it should be more of a fresh start, we won't be dominate but we should a decent team with a lot of potential.

I would have liked Barlow at the point instead but oh well it is what it is, not sure he would have made it through the off-season anyway.

Also not sure Bryd will be around, if so then the SF situation changes obviously.
    Why so SERIOUS

Hammons is going to be critical for you guys the next couple of years. If he is as good as I think he can be (motor is reported to be an issue), and Painter gets the most out of him, then you guys are going to be pretty good. I am a big Ronnie Johnson fan too.

What kind of Dumb *** leaves his wallet at a bar? Stupid.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    What kind of Dumb *** leaves his wallet at a bar? Stupid.
    A drunk dumbass?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

If any of the bigs can manage to walk and chew gum at the same time, I'd much rather start a tradional lineup as opposed to Byrd at the 4. (Hell, in a perfect world Byrd woudn't start at all, but lord knows that ain't gonna happen.) We'll have enough bigs, I think I'd rather just rather rotate them all through the 4 and 5 than play small ball. I don't think we can do that anymore without Robbie there to clean up the boards.

My concern with Ronnie is he'll make the other Johnsons look like Dale and Antonio Davis.

Sure, we have lots of bigs, but how many of them can start right away? I'm not sure I feel safe putting one of the newcomer bigs in at the 5/4 (not that I've seen any of them play--just based on history). Who was the last big who started/played significant minutes as a C/PF? Was it Kiefer? Cardinal?

edit: and Carroll, Chooch, and Hammons seem to have to play 5. There is no way I see any of them at the 4.

There is no way and I repeat no way Hammons doesn't start right away next year. If he doesn't that is a major red flag.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Sure, we have lots of bigs, but how many of them can start right away? I'm not sure I feel safe putting one of the newcomer bigs in at the 5/4 (not that I've seen any of them play--just based on history). Who was the last big who started/played significant minutes as a C/PF? Was it Kiefer? Cardinal?

edit: and Carroll, Chooch, and Hammons seem to have to play 5. There is no way I see any of them at the 4.
    Jajuan Johnson started 17 of 34 games as a freshman, and he was a little rough around the edges as well. I believe they went to the tourney that year as well.
    Why so SERIOUS

^Good Call.

This second half is nasty. None of these clowns can make a layup.

Lawson has the worst hands I have ever seen.

edit: Next year is going to be really bad. The Johnsons don't do anything out there. Carroll is physically outmatched.

edit2: I take it back AJ!
    Last edited by dal9; 02-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Mood

Not getting a break today are we.... 1/20.. wow
    Why so SERIOUS

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Article featuring quotes from Ken and Kelsey Barlow:

http://www.purdueexponent.org/sports...r-comment-area

That's how you answer questions about it Ryne Smith. You don't say it's "addition by subtraction."

So Gary Bush, the football WR, apparently tried out for the team yesterday. Guess he was an all-county PG back in Miami. Doubt it'd be for anything but depth the rest of the way, but interesting nonetheless. Bush is also on the track team, which is in season right now. Seems like a pretty big load.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That would be interesting just for the story. Doubt he would do much, but it'd still be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg
    That's how you answer questions about it Ryne Smith. You don't say it's "addition by subtraction."
    Glass houses and all.

So Gary Bush, the football WR, apparently tried out for the team yesterday. Guess he was an all-county PG back in Miami. Doubt it'd be for anything but depth the rest of the way, but interesting nonetheless. Bush is also on the track team, which is in season right now. Seems like a pretty big load.
    Well, he plays the right position. If he outperforms Bade, it is a net gain.

Charles Davis set the bar pretty high for mid-season "switchers." I remember fools on the other teams were just scared of him.

EDIT: Pretty inane column in the J & C today about poor Bruce Weber:
    Thompson seems awful confident that Painter's approach is going to pay off in the long-term...

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Thompson
    This is a tale of two coaches.

Both were tutored by a man who learned the fundamentals of honesty, integrity and doing things the right way on and off the court growing up in a small Kansas town in the 1930s and '40s.

Before it was called tough love, Gene Keady had these characteristics instilled by his parents. Many years later, he coached his Purdue basketball players with a mixture of toughness and affection. No short cuts to doing the right thing, whether it be the fundamentals of man to man defense or going to class every day.

Keady's eldest coaching son, Bruce Weber, spent 18 years at his side at Purdue before finally getting his head coaching break at Southern Illinois. In Carbondale, Weber applied what he learned from Keady and forged a 103-54 record in five seasons along with two NCAA tournament berths and two conference championships.

That success, plus his association with Keady, made Weber the choice to take over at Illinois when Bill Self left for Kansas. The first two years were magical for Weber in Champaign, a Big Ten championship and NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in 2004, followed by an NCAA runner-up finish in 2005.

But as Self's recruits departed and Weber pursued the players who suited his style of play, decay set in slowly. A 26-7 record in 2006 was soured by a second-round NCAA exit. The next season, one and done to finish 23-12. Then the Fighting Illini hit bottom in 2008 with a 16-19 overall mark and 5-13 in conference play.

At a crossroads, Weber had a choice. Either his recruiting had to improve and compromises had to be made to his basketball philosophy ingrained in him by Keady, or he could continue on his current path and likely lose his job.

Turning assistant Jerrance Howard loose, Weber was determined to close Illinois' borders and land those four- and five-star recruits that chose the likes of Memphis, Duke and Indiana in the past. The results were instant gratification. Brandon Paul, D.J. Richardson and Joseph Bertrand led a top 10 Rivals.com class in 2009.
    continued at link

EDIT 2: Byrd with the .229 BAC...and he bit the bouncer (allegedly)...even in my most unruly days, i don't think I ever bit anyone in a fight...
    Last edited by dal9; 02-21-2012 at 11:20 PM.

So Painter offered Sam Cassell, Jr. Yes, that Sam Cassell. He's a 2012 G that's got some decent offers (UConn, Maryland), but another guard? In 2012? That's not some super high ranked guy?

I don't get it.

So Painter offered Sam Cassell, Jr. Yes, that Sam Cassell. He's a 2012 G that's got some decent offers (UConn, Maryland), but another guard? In 2012? That's not some super high ranked guy?

I don't get it.
    If we were going to offer a member of the 2012 class whose father was on the 2000 Milwaukee Bucks, we picked the wrong one.
    Last edited by dal9; 02-25-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: gramer