Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading/ Last read?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What book are you reading/ Last read?

Just finished Coelho's Devil and Miss Primm. Up next is Coelho's Veronika Decides to Die.

Just read the One Minute Manager. Really good book to read even if you are not a manager. Easy/quick to read too.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This week I finished So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane and Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. Each are very good books, the former a fun fantasy adventure and the latter a well-written tale of the Antebellum South told by a modern-day time traveler.

Now I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I haven't read much Russian literature, so this is something different.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

I am reading a technical manual on how to rebuild the chevy LT1, LS, and newer style chevrolet v8 engines. I know it is boring but it is necessary in my line of work.

The Marriage Plot by Eugenides. Very meh. Not sure why I did it.

Currently re-reading The Recognitons, as I'm at an all-time low motivation-wise, and need some inspiration. Taking it slow and savoring any sentences that make me feel like my life isn't totally worthless crap. Thankfully Gaddis has a bunch of those. . .
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This week I finished So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane and Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. Each are very good books, the former a fun fantasy adventure and the latter a well-written tale of the Antebellum South told by a modern-day time traveler.

Now I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I haven't read much Russian literature, so this is something different.
    How do you go about choosing a new book. I love reading and used to read more, but I guess I've been having a hard time choosing new books.

Do you buy all your books? What if you buy a book and turn out not liking it?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Decided to jump on the bandwagon and read "The Hunger Games" before too many people start telling you "you have to read this book!" which immediately makes me not want to read the book, whether it's good or not.

I had never heard of it till someone decided this needed to be a movie and twitter blew up just gushing about these books.So I decided to see what all the fuss was about. So far it has lived up to it's hype haven't been able to put it down i'll probaby end up finishing the trilogy by next week sometime.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Just finished the Timothy Zahn Star Wars books. Also just finished the Ian Esslemont Malazan books.

Currently slogging my way through numerous titles, "The Greatest Show on Earth" - R. Dawkins, "The Demon-Haunted World" - Carl Sagan, "The Aspect-Emperor" - Scott Bakker, The Black Company omnibus #2 - Glen Cook

Waiting in line next to the bed is a stack of Robert Ludlum books my dad gave me to read.

So many good books to read, life's too short.
    I enjoyed the Dawkins and Sagan books you've listed. I learned a lot from "The Greatest Show on Earth," in particular last year.

I just finished up "The Drunkards Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives," - nice little book about probability and statistical thinking. Right now I'm reading back issues of "Analog," and am halfway through re-reading "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." Soon I'll start a history book of some sort.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post

It's been a busy reading year. So far in 2011, I've finished 88 books; they've kept me sane these long months. I love books.
    You lucky duck! Five plus years ago I tore through books at that kind of rate. Now there just isn't the time. If I could increase my lifespan significantly I would undoubtedly spend much of it reading.

Speaking of Octavia Butler (in a later post) - have you read the Xenogenesis series (aka Lilith's Brook)? It's her finest work, in my opinion - particularly the first book.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    You lucky duck! Five plus years ago I tore through books at that kind of rate. Now there just isn't the time. If I could increase my lifespan significantly I would undoubtedly spend much of it reading.

Speaking of Octavia Butler (in a later post) - have you read the Xenogenesis series (aka Lilith's Brook)? It's her finest work, in my opinion - particularly the first book.
    I was job hunting for three months in there, so that gave me more time than most to read. I ended up with 115 read for the year. Now that I'm gainfully employed again, my reading has dropped off considerably.

I haven't read the Xenogenesis books, but I will put it on the 'to-read' list. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

egyptian book of the dead

read the gilgamesh epic earlier today, and boy was that way more weird and more "arty" than I ever expected. I was left actually wishing there was more to it. Found myself reading the translator's notes because I was just that taken up with it.

Kinda into reading all these really old epics or religous texts. I'll probably try the koran after book of the dead.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-06-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Just started John Grishams "the Litigators"

Also received for Christmas (and waiting in the wings)

Dr. Michael Savage's..."Trickle Up Poverty" and "Abuse of Power".
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I haven't started reading it yet but my mom recommended that I read a book called "The Shack". She is mailing me a copy. She said it would change the way I look on life and religon. I myself am a spiritual person but not very religious. She is even sending one to a dear friend of mine that is incarcerated hoping it will turn her around. Has anyone on PD already read this book?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How do you go about choosing a new book. I love reading and used to read more, but I guess I've been having a hard time choosing new books.

Do you buy all your books? What if you buy a book and turn out not liking it?
    I still use the public library. I just got a kindle fire and I just finished my first book that I checked out electronically from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I haven't started reading it yet but my mom recommended that I read a book called "The Shack". She is mailing me a copy. She said it would change the way I look on life and religon. I myself am a spiritual person but not very religious. She is even sending one to a dear friend of mine that is incarcerated hoping it will turn her around. Has anyone on PD already read this book?
    I've read it, got it on my shelf with what I hope to start being a much larger library of books I have read. It was a good read and it is a very uplifting book. I think it took me 2 days to read that book in its entirety could not put it down. It pretty much runs the gauntlet on emotions. If you have any specific questions you can ask me in a pm, I could probably elaborate more but don't really want to ruin it for you or anyone else who might want to read it.
    Last edited by TheDon; 01-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Kinda into reading all these really old epics .
    If you're into that sort of thing I'd suggest also reading Dante's Inferno. I've read that 6 times and still find something new and interesting about it each time i've read it. Maybe that says something about my lack of comprehension or maybe that it was originally in Italian and then later put into English prose . I guess I should get around to reading purgatorio and paradisio but never really been motivated to read those other than to complete the divine comedy. Also Paradise Lost by Milton is worth a read and lots of good dialogue/quotes from that book imo.

Master of the Senate by Robert A. Caro

It is a biography of Lyndon Johnson's time as a Senator in the late 40's and through the 1950's. It is about 1200 pages, but a real page turner. As someone who works in government, while we all seem to cry for civility now, it seems by reading this that things weren't much different than they were now 50-60 years ago.

Mood

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    If you're into that sort of thing I'd suggest also reading Dante's Inferno. I've read that 6 times and still find something new and interesting about it each time i've read it. Maybe that says something about my lack of comprehension or maybe that it was originally in Italian and then later put into English prose . I guess I should get around to reading purgatorio and paradisio but never really been motivated to read those other than to complete the divine comedy. Also Paradise Lost by Milton is worth a read and lots of good dialogue/quotes from that book imo.
    I still haven't read Dante, although I had a roomie once who was obssessed the comedy, had a shelf of like all the different translations, was doing a big project on it.

Paradise Lost is maybe the coolest thing in the world. Went through a period where I kept reading that and Emerson's essays over and over and over. Satan is my homie.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I still use the public library. I just got a kindle fire and I just finished my first book that I checked out electronically from the library.
    How does this work? Is this common among libraries today? If so, I may need to update my membership.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I still haven't read Dante, although I had a roomie once who was obssessed the comedy, had a shelf of like all the different translations, was doing a big project on it.

Paradise Lost is maybe the coolest thing in the world. Went through a period where I kept reading that and Emerson's essays over and over and over. Satan is my homie.
    That is awesome about about your roomie. As far as satan being your homie, I actually did an inventory of all the books I read and a lot of them had to do with hell or satan and wasn't really bothered with it myself but others from the outside looking in might think I have some unhealthy obsession with the two . I've never heard of Emerson's essays but I'll look into it. I've also wanted to read the screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis but have yet to get around to it, I've looked for it in bookstores without much luck. I could probably find a copy through amazon but I still have a stigma about buying things online but might have to resort to that.

James Stewart
    Essential Calculas (gratefully my last semester with this thing)

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    How does this work? Is this common among libraries today? If so, I may need to update my membership.
    The Indianapolis Public Library has a good selection of audio books and e-books, although there can be a long wait for the more popular books. It's worth checking to see if you local library has them available.

Here's a link to the Indy library e-books, to give you an idea:
    http://ecollection.imcpl.org/A969379...en/Default.htm

IMCPL offers both Adobe ePub and Kindle formats.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

How does "checking out" work with e-books from the public library? I'm a little confused as to how the whole borrowing process works. How do you return a downloaded file?