Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading/ Last read?

Default Re: What book are you reading/ Last read?

I got a Kindle Fire for xmas and I have loaded up on the classics... for free! Anything that is free domain they let you just download at no cost.

I have the complete Charles Dickens collection, Mark Twain, Conan O'Doyle, Charles Darwin etc...

It feels great having a collection of all this amazing literature, now I just need some time to read them...

Recently I finished Joe Abercrombie's The First Law books, they were good fun. A nice easy read with great characters. I especially liked Inquisitor Glokta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does "checking out" work with e-books from the public library? I'm a little confused as to how the whole borrowing process works. How do you return a downloaded file?

There is DRM built in the files tied to the date/time on your computer/e-reader/smartphone. On the PC e-pubs are downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions and then transferred to an e-reader. For a Kindle it opens an Amazon page and you can choose to send it to your Kindle just like an Amazon purchased book.

They won't open after the expiration date and you just delete them. At the Indianapolis library you can check out as many as 9 at a time and choose 1, 2, or 3 week expiration.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Reamde by Neal Stephenson. It's great. Stephenson's a fantastic author if you're into technological fiction.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How do you go about choosing a new book. I love reading and used to read more, but I guess I've been having a hard time choosing new books.

Do you buy all your books? What if you buy a book and turn out not liking it?
    Sorry, I somehow missed this when you posted it. I have certain areas that I like best, (science-fiction/fantasy and mysteries) but I will read about anything. To find new titles, I ask my friends what they like, use websites like goodreads.com to browse lists, or I just browse the shelves at libraries or bookstores. There's lots of great stuff out there.

I very infrequently buy books, and when I do, it's usually from half-priced books. I borrow from libraries or friends. If I do happen to buy or receive a book I don't like, I either give it away to someone else or donate it; most public libraries have book sales periodically.

I have a Masters in Library Science (I'm an archivist) so I love talking about writing and books. Good stuff!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

I read the Hunger Games Trilogy.

Really interesting concept (although the first was, IMO, by far the best book). I'm not sure that they were amazingly written, but I definitely couldn't put the book down.

I'm really excited about the movie, because it's definitely the type of book that had the potential to be a great movie (and the girl who plays the lead, Jennifer Lawrence, is an excellent actress)

I've got The Purity Myth, and then The Lord of the Rings trilogy lined up next.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I read the Hunger Games Trilogy.

Really interesting concept (although the first was, IMO, by far the best book). I'm not sure that they were amazingly written, but I definitely couldn't put the book down.

I'm really excited about the movie, because it's definitely the type of book that had the potential to be a great movie (and the girl who plays the lead, Jennifer Lawrence, is an excellent actress)

I've got The Purity Myth, and then The Lord of the Rings trilogy lined up next.
    Just finished that trilogy myself a couple of days ago, is it just me or did the whole ending feel very rushed? I couldn't stop reading the stories either but that ending really bothered me. Not the best set of books i've ever read.

Mood

I picked up an old book that I have read in the past but it is still good- Misery. I loved the book but wasn't too impressed with the movie. Just finished up reading another good book in Thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Just finished that trilogy myself a couple of days ago, is it just me or did the whole ending feel very rushed? I couldn't stop reading the stories either but that ending really bothered me. Not the best set of books i've ever read.
    Yea, I thought the first half of the book was a little slow, and the second half was very quick. Particularly the ending scene where Katniss makes her decision about Snow and Coin.

It's the type of book that'll probably end up making a better movie than book.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

the books are pretty horribly written even considering its target audience (young teen), but yes the concept is interesting and similar to battle royale (the japanese novel). the movies will be better.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still working on Infinite Jest and also just received my first book from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, the very thrilling Basics of Relational Databases

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Still working on Infinite Jest
    that's a really, dense, book. i don't know how else to put it. it requires your complete concentration at all times. i think i had to restart reading the book twice before i managed to finish it.

Mood

I know this is a kind of boring book to the non mechanics but I have been reading a book on different things you can do to a chevy small block to get that little bit of extra horsepower when you are rebuilding it. The book is called "Chevy Performance Tips From Smokey Yunich. As is close in on my 200th engine that I have built there was a few things that I am going to try on the next engine.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Sorry, I somehow missed this when you posted it. I have certain areas that I like best, (science-fiction/fantasy and mysteries) but I will read about anything. To find new titles, I ask my friends what they like, use websites like goodreads.com to browse lists, or I just browse the shelves at libraries or bookstores. There's lots of great stuff out there.

I very infrequently buy books, and when I do, it's usually from half-priced books. I borrow from libraries or friends. If I do happen to buy or receive a book I don't like, I either give it away to someone else or donate it; most public libraries have book sales periodically.

I have a Masters in Library Science (I'm an archivist) so I love talking about writing and books. Good stuff!
    I basically only read scifi/fantasy.

My favorites are:
    Belgraid by David Eddings
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson
    The Kingkiller Chronicle series - Patrick Rothfuss
    Night Angel triology - Brent Weeks

Didn't really like the Shannara series or Game of Thrones (just barely made it through the first book, but at some point I'll go back and read after the HBO series).

Have never read Dune or LOTR. I keep meaning too, but I know the basic stories and I want to get to some good books that I don't know anything about.

What can you suggest for me?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I picked up an old book that I have read in the past but it is still good- Misery. I loved the book but wasn't too impressed with the movie. Just finished up reading another good book in Thinner.
    I tried to read Stephen King's books, but he just goes into too much mundane detail for me to enjoy them. First book I picked up was Insomnia, but never finished it. I wonder if they'll ever turn that into a movie though.

Now really free Lance!

I may go back and read my all time fav, Catcher in the Rye.

I'm so desperate for a good book right now. I'll check out the Hunger Games if there are a couple in here that like it.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dab View Post
    Still working on Infinite Jest and also just received my first book from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, the very thrilling Basics of Relational Databases
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    that's a really, dense, book. i don't know how else to put it. it requires your complete concentration at all times. i think i had to restart reading the book twice before i managed to finish it.

I love Wallace, and it's his obsessive attention to the sound and syntax of his sentences that first got me so interested in reading and writing. He was one of our best living writers when he died. I also went to college with his step-son, as it turns out, and he was scheduled to do a reading there (at my college) within a few months after his suicide. I had always hoped to see him read and have him sign my old battered duct-taped copy of IJ, so that was a bummer.

I've reread IJ 10+ times by now, and to date it's the only novel that's convinced me to come back to it that frequently. (There have been books of essays and poems that have also done that.) The parts of the book that consist of some of his cheesier gags don't really hold up to that kind of rereading (although as far as cheesy gags go they are top-notch, and the first few times through I loved them to death), but Wallace could frequently enter into the kind of eternal writing that never stops seeming fresh.

If you just want to see more of what he did and what he was interested in, his essays are really good, including one on Federer that's really great. If you're up for a challenge, I think he did some of his most dense and most rewarding stuff in his short stories, but the "barrier to entry" on those can be significantly higher. But he did some of his most beautiful stuff in that format.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 01-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    I have it on my kindle now as well, so I can read the hard copy and use the Kindle for the footnotes

Anybody read non-fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I basically only read scifi/fantasy.

My favorites are:
    Belgraid by David Eddings
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
    Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson
    The Kingkiller Chronicle series - Patrick Rothfuss
    Night Angel triology - Brent Weeks

Didn't really like the Shannara series or Game of Thrones (just barely made it through the first book, but at some point I'll go back and read after the HBO series).

Have never read Dune or LOTR. I keep meaning too, but I know the basic stories and I want to get to some good books that I don't know anything about.

What can you suggest for me?
    Yes,
    Read Dune, all of them. It's so different from other sci fi books and full of weird ambiguous characters. The first few books are the best, but once you get into them you will want to read them all.

Also, after you read the first book, watch the awesomely weird David Lynch version of the movie. Get the extended version, which adds another hour or so to it. It's a lot different from the books, but it's got all those great David Lynch scenes which really fit the Dune world so well.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Anybody read non-fiction?
    I'm working on Hitch 22 right now, by the late great Christopher Hitchens.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Yes,
    Read Dune, all of them. It's so different from other sci fi books and full of weird ambiguous characters. The first few books are the best, but once you get into them you will want to read them all.

Also, after you read the first book, watch the awesomely weird David Lynch version of the movie. Get the extended version, which adds another hour or so to it. It's a lot different from the books, but it's got all those great David Lynch scenes which really fit the Dune world so well.
    the David Lynch version is the only one I'll watch. It's so freaking awesome. But like i said, I have an inkling of knowledge of the books, so I just have stayed away trying to find new reads.

Now really free Lance!

The Bible.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    The Bible.
    The bestselling fiction of all time.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Just finished Vince Flynn's Pursuit of Honor.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Back in school, so back to reading fiction as an escape. Reading The Hobbit right now, I've never read the Lord of the Rings series or seen the films. Pretty cool so far.