Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers and Herb Simon eye Reggie Miller to run team

Default Pacers and Herb Simon eye Reggie Miller to run team

Would love this to happen....

Reggie Miller played under Larry Bird during part of Miller's 18-year career in Indiana.

Simon has considered this possibility for several years, sources said, and thinks the timing could be right to groom Miller to run his basketball operations. This is likely Miller’s one chance to ever run a team. And where else would he rather do it, but in the city, the state, where he became basketball royalty?

Nevertheless, there’s risk for everyone. Miller has a cushy national TV analyst’s job with TNT, and he’d have to jeopardize his standing as an iconic Indiana figure. He’s the greatest, most beloved player in Pacers history. He’ll take hits upstairs that he never had to take on the court.

Simon has always been most comfortable hiring people he knows and trusts, people that resonate within the Indiana basketball culture. From French Lick’s Larry Bird to Indiana Hoosier legend Isiah Thomas, he’s never been afraid to take a chance with legendary names for his most important jobs. And the reason Simon could bring Miller, with no executive experience, to the Pacers is the same reason he brought Bird and Thomas to Indianapolis: the chance for Walsh to mentor Miller.

“Herb really wants that to happen,” says a league official with close ties to Miller and Walsh.

If Bird does leave, there’s momentum growing for Walsh to return to the Pacers with Miller. Strong ties still bind Walsh, Simon and Miller. Within weeks of his departure from the New York Knicks, Walsh had been telling confidants he was refreshed and eager to work again. He didn’t leave New York because he was tired of the job, but weary of the Garden culture. He’s 70 years old, but Walsh isn’t done with the NBA. He doesn’t want to leave Indianapolis again, and this could be perfect for him.

After all, Walsh and Miller are still close, and still closely tied in Pacers history. Walsh made the unpopular choice of taking Miller in the 1987 NBA draft, and yet ultimately Miller became the centerpiece for years of Eastern Conference contention. Once Miller retired in 2005, Walsh turned over the Pacers to Bird, and eventually made his move back to his hometown New York Knicks. After four years on the job, Walsh made the Knicks relevant again, but he missed Indianapolis and his life there. His wife and family had stayed back, and Walsh returned for good in June.

Walsh is extremely fond of Miller, and sources say Simon believes Miller could evolve into a good basketball executive. The possibility of teaching him the trade, the craft, and eventually handing the Pacers over to Miller is intriguing to Walsh too, sources said. Miller isn’t the only choice, because there’s one more ex-Pacer that the owner and Walsh have a fondness for: Chris Mullin. Walsh wanted to hire Mullin with the Knicks, but ownership wouldn’t allow it. Still, Reggie is Reggie in Indiana. There’s no more magical pro basketball name there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._miller_081811
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-18-2011 at 08:14 AM.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to granger33 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Owner eyes Miller to run team

I just hope he turns into Jerry West, not Isiah Thomas.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Owner eyes Miller to run team

I hope no one minds if I change the thread title a little, just to make it more clear.

This is baseless speculation. I don't have time to search for the quote, but I'm pretty sure Reggie has said in the past that he doesn't want any part of a front office job, that the commitment required doesn't fit his lifestyle. Plus, it's reasonable to assume that we brought Pritchard in so Bird can groom his successor. I love Reggie but moving him into the front office doesn't make sense.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor S For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers and Herb Simon eye Reggie Miller to run team

That day....WHEN it happens (and it will happen).....will be a truly great day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to makaveli For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is baseless speculation. I don't have time to search for the quote, but I'm pretty sure Reggie has said in the past that he doesn't want any part of a front office job, that the commitment required doesn't fit his lifestyle.
    People say contradicting stuff all the time so who knows. But there have certainly been quotes last season that he WOULD consider it.

Miller told USA Today that he'll "leave the door open to working in a front office."

And, of course, Miller would ideally like to do it with his former team.

"It would be an unbelievable opportunity to be able to go home," Miller told USA Today. "But (Pacers president) Larry Bird has those guys on the right track."
    http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/04/1...y.bird.indiana

There was even a topic on this forum about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    That day....WHEN it happens (and it will happen).....will be a truly great day.
    I've always expected to see Reggie in the FO and MJax on the bench. I'm not saying I want it to happen, but I've always thought it would.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    People say contradicting stuff all the time so who knows. But there have certainly been quotes last season that he WOULD consider it.

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/04/1...y.bird.indiana

There was even a topic on this forum about it.
    I stand corrected. Still, as much as I'd like to have Reggie involved with the Pacers, I hate the idea of potentially bringing Walsh back. I appreciate everything he did for us, but he has a ton of health concerns and his track record in New York has been mediocre at best (admittedly, he's been handcuffed by Dolan).

We've brought in Pritchard for a reason. Let's not completely rock this boat - we're finally getting the course righted.

I don't understand why an in-depth, randomly-timed article about one small-market team comes from outside Indianapolis media.

Well, I guess I do understand ... but it bugs me nonetheless.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    his track record in New York has been mediocre at best (admittedly, he's been handcuffed by Dolan).
    OK, yeah, I'm a Walsh Warrior (tm), and even I agree he is past his prime, but how is this in any way a fair statement?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Just...I dunno. I suppose Donnie's about as experienced as it gets but I had enough of the two headed monster guy in training stuff with him. Where the team's at right now I'd prefer a steady, experienced hand to build this thing back into true contender status. I suppose you get that with Donnie, but is his focus on making the team better or telling Reggie some embarrassing stories about GM X to push a deal over the edge.

You know what I mean, I just want whoever takes over for Bird to be completely focused on making the team better with no distractions. I'd personally have no problem calling Reggie an idiot for a bad trade or something (for some reason I feel like I'd be overly critical of him), but he gets the gig, thousands of Pacer fans of yore pay attention because of it. Then he fails, and him being Reggie is kept too long, and then all then the headlines read, "Indiana Pacers FIRE REGGIE MILLER." No one wants that, it could do a lot of damage.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

The idea of Reggie and Walsh coming back to actually run the team is at once thrilling and terrifying for me.

Reggie and Walsh coming home to finish the job of restoring the Pacers to their former glory has a very nice feel to it, and casual fans would respond very well to the idea. After all, that combination led the Pacers to elite status for several years when Reggie played.

That said, Walsh has shown a tendency to love talent more than team chemistry both here and in NY. Also, Reggie had a lifestyle when he was with the Pacers that would have a difficult time passing in the politically correct times of today's NBA. For me at least, I would wonder if the tendency would be to acquire more players full of a mix of potential and ticking time bombs, though Reggie did speak up in his first TNT broadcast about the difficulties the Pacers of that time were facing from a personnel standpoint in the lockerroom with personal agendas and cohesiveness, which indicates that Reggie does recognize those potential issues because he lived through them himself and likely cost him his ring(s?).

It has been a long, difficult road for the franchise, and I just wouldn't want to see that pair come back and end up with their legacies with the Pacers tarnished if things go south after having watched Bird and Morway rebuild the mostly solid foundation that the Pacers' currently have.

It could be a thrilling ride, no doubt. But, I fear that it could fly apart in an instant just as easily as it could end up wildly successful.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like it. A lot.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I think that Reggie coming back is definitely a real possibility. Let's look at the whole picture:

-- Reggie is a commentator for TNT, but has stated that he would enjoy working in the front office or with a team in some capacity. What better team to work for than the Pacers?

-- The Pacers are trying to lure the casual fan back to Conseco. What better person to help them do so than the man who helped build the Fieldhouse? I'm not saying Reggie will bring in an extra 1000 fans a game, but I think his name appeal and allure could help attract some fans and increase interest locally in the Pacers

-- Walsh is now living back in Indy. His wife never moved to New York and had no desire to do so as she liked living in Indy. Walsh used to come back to Indy quite regularly and during breaks, etc. Yes, he is 70 years old. But I think if he could work for the Pacers for a year or so to either help groom Reggie or serve as a consultant or senior adviser, that would be ideal.

-- Reggie still owns his house in Indy. Although it's back on the market for sale, I know that Reggie still spends a fair amount of time at his house in Fishers. He knows the Pacers, knows the organization and I think would be a natural leader in the front office.

-- Reggie can recruit. What better person to help attract potential free agents than the guy who spent his entire NBA career in Indy?

Even if Reggie is not offered the job, I could see Mullin as a possibility. He worked with Golden State's front office, I think, and Walsh could help groom him as well.

Obviously, I like Reggie a lot more than I like Larry. But the two-headed monster didn't work before, what makes Herb think it would work now?

The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. Reggie would not get nearly the free pass Larry gets. I'm afraid it would end really badly.

Lastly, the less said about Mullin, the better.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I wonder if anyone who wouldn't like this will voice their displeasure with Herb over it?

I love the spirit of this, but I'm not confident that it will be anything better than a mediocre move at best regarding the development of the roster.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't this best be done while Bird is finishing up his time as GM? Both Walsh and Miller hired as consultants or whatever title to start the instruction. Stay out of Larry's way for a year or two, and make it clear that is the case. Then Larry and Walsh retire for good (and maybe Bird buys him a share). And Reggie takes over.

And punch and pie is served to all of Pacerland, with magical streamers coming down over the city.

get it done!

Am I the only person who is perfectly comfortable with David Morway running the team?

I think he is brilliant G.M. who has both a vast understanding of salary structure & player talent.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Pregame intro: ".... And head coach Frank Vogel"

....."And starting at GM, REGGGGIIIIIEEE MILLLLLLEEEEEEERRRRR!"

REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE.

I wouldn't mind that. Haha, im not sure if he would be a good GM or not but i would love to have him back working at Conseco for the Pacers.

Banned

No thank you, I love the guy and I hope he gets a GM job in another franchise, if Larry's rope is long for been a legend and a Hoosier, I can't imagine how long Reggie's rope could be, not just that but the homers are not going to let anybody criticize any bad move he could make.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is my thing.... if Reggie does come into this franchise, it has to be as President of Basketball Ops. I cannot be as GM. Reggie is more figurehead than trade maker. Reggie knows who can play and who can't. He sees... well the same eight teams every other night. And an occasional extra team. I think he will do well as a talent evaluator, but at the same time, I think the onus needs to fall elsewhere for that pairing to work. Reggie is close to sainthood in Indy, why would we jeopardize that by making him the GM? Walsh can take "an advisory role". Let Morway (or Pritchard or whomever) be the GM.

P.S. - I am not ready by any means for Bird leave at this point. I think he needs to stick around at least another 2-3 years.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 08-18-2011 at 12:27 PM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I would be okay if Reggie was to return to the Pacers in some capacity...but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. There is simply too many conflicting stories that suggests that he would be willing ( or not ) to do something like that.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Am I the only person who is perfectly comfortable with David Morway running the team?
    The proof there will be what happens if/when it is Morway alone. Reports of his people skills still bother me, which makes me wonder if he might wear out his welcome with other GMs and the rest of the FO.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Please no