Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money

Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money - RealGM Wiretap

Nene is leaving open the possibility of re-signing with the Nuggets, but recently suggested one of the reasons why he opted out was for a better chance at a championship.

"After nine years, I have goals and I'm a team player," said Nene. "I'm very competitive. I want to accomplish everything. It's a big opportunity, and it's the only one in my life to be a top free agent. So I want to enjoy this moment. If people think it's about money, they're wrong. I've saved my money. I could retire today. I don't need to prove points. I like it a lot here."

Nene is uninterested in playing overseas during the lockout. He has been staying in Denver with his family and playing pick-up soccer to stay fit.

"I'll do my cardio here, see my baby," he said. "I saved my money. I don't want to go to Europe. I want to enjoy my offseason. It's a magical time (with the baby)."

Via Denver Post

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money

So, is our future core better than Denver's; better than other players(teams) in the market?
    Last edited by Richard_Skull; 08-17-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: punctuation error.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A good rule to live by: anytime somebody says it's not about the money, it's about the money.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A good rule to live by: anytime somebody says it's not about the money, it's about the money.
    ...unless it's about poaching a championship ring, which in my mind is almost worse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    ...unless it's about poaching a championship ring, which in my mind is almost worse.
    Poaching means going to a championship level team for little money when you can't really contribute much to a good team a la Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Mike Bibby. Nene wanting to go to a contender just makes sense. If you have a chance to sign one more contract, would you really want to go to a team that you think will never be very good?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Poaching means going to a championship level team for little money when you can't really contribute much to a good team a la Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Mike Bibby. Nene wanting to go to a contender just makes sense. If you have a chance to sign one more contract, would you really want to go to a team that you think will never be very good?
    The sports fan in me wants the "good old days" when a good player stayed (ok, was pretty much forced to stay) in order to try to make his team a contender.

The fair-minded person in me understands the desire and, at some level, supports it.

The Pacer Pessimist in me points out that this mentality is just as much responsible as $$ for any teams but the ones ALREADY good remaining as simply the "minor league" of the NBA.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

In just about every walk of life, we celebrate people bettering themselves, and bettering the situation around them. But when it comes to pro athletes, it seems to be the opposite. Why is that?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

I don't think I've ever heard an agent say that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    In just about every walk of life, we celebrate people bettering themselves, and bettering the situation around them. But when it comes to pro athletes, it seems to be the opposite. Why is that?
    Fans of losing teams want their teams to be better, not the individual players' situations. If players want to win they take less money. If they want more money they stay with their team. The league is not (and should not be, IMO) set up for everybody to go play in LA or Miami or New York or Boston. "Bettering the situation around them" is very arbitrary in that it could mean anything to different players. If every player moved around every year to better their situation, wouldn't that be worse for everybody long-term?

Hmmm...here comes the million dollar question. Does he believe that Indiana can contend for a championship in 2-4 years?

Real talk, I don't know with Miami, Chicago, OKC, and whatever team gets Howard. I believe that Indiana would be able to challenge those teams during a series, but....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Hmmm...here comes the million dollar question. Does he believe that Indiana can contend for a championship in 2-4 years?

Real talk, I don't know with Miami, Chicago, OKC, and whatever team gets Howard. I believe that Indiana would be able to challenge those teams during a series, but....
    If he does have interest in signing here, wouldn't the message be to him... "We have another $~15M to spend on a PG next year"?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post

By extension, assume Nene signs with us. Further assume that we re-sign Foster (2-yr, vet min), but not McBob.

Is there one additional non-superstar player who, if acquired, would make us true contenders this year or next?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    By extension, assume Nene signs with us. Further assume that we re-sign Foster (2-yr, vet min), but not McBob.

Is there one additional non-superstar player who, if acquired, would make us true contenders this year or next?
    More depth up front is the closest thing we will get to that. Contenders, doubtful, unless the CBA shakes out that a superstar must be moved. Then we have a prayer.

You ask a good question but I think the answer is fairly simple. These athletes already have it "better" than 99.9% of the world. The are rich, famous, and get that way playing a kids game. Another reason for resentment is that when a player leaves to "better" himself, he is actually admitting failure and insulting his team. He wasnt good enough to do it here so he went somewhere else. the perception is that this is the "entitlement" attitude whether it is true or not.
    I have more respect for guys like Reggie Miller who stayed and tried to win one rather than chase it like Malone and Payton did.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I have more respect for guys like Reggie Miller who tried to move but it didn't happen so sucked it up and stayed and tried to win one rather than chase it like Malone and Payton did.
    Fixed. We tend to forget that, even though Reggie did stay at the end of his career, he was testing the waters in greener pastures for a time.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Fixed. We tend to forget that, even though Reggie did stay at the end of his career, he was testing the waters in greener pastures for a time.
    Largely because someone burned his new house down.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Largely because someone burned his new house down.
    Not quite. He had been talking about testing the waters before the house fire (May '97). The talk began prior to the 96-97 season when he was making noises regarding his contract, and speculation was rampant that he would put himself on the market after his contract expired even during the season.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Fans of losing teams want their teams to be better, not the individual players' situations. If players want to win they take less money. If they want more money they stay with their team. The league is not (and should not be, IMO) set up for everybody to go play in LA or Miami or New York or Boston. "Bettering the situation around them" is very arbitrary in that it could mean anything to different players. If every player moved around every year to better their situation, wouldn't that be worse for everybody long-term?
    You could say that, I guess. But I hate that these players get treated like property (and I'm not going THERE) instead of people sometimes. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I agree, though, that it's tough as a fan to park on that point, when you're faced with being in a Cleveland situation (from top to bottom overnight).

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

in the words of the late great NOTORIOUS BIG

"Player...Hater" turn yourself around, open the door, you've been robbed
    Sittin on top of the world!

Banned
    Mood

To no surprise another pd thread gone off toopic

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    To no surprise another pd thread gone off toopic
    It's a discussion forum. What's the problem?

Question Re: Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Karl Malone ???
    Gary Payton ???

Surely, you must be speaking of their "twilight" years ... lol
    Because "The Mailman" and "The Glove" were BOTH awesome players in their prime..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Talking Re: Nene: Free Agency Wont Be About Money

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    More depth up front is the closest thing we will get to that. Contenders, doubtful, unless the CBA shakes out that a superstar must be moved. Then we have a prayer.
    I dunno about all that..

Me.... I'll just ride it out with our current young team, because I honestly think the Pacers have a real shot at some of our players becoming very very good..

So good ... in fact, YES I believe we WILL be legit contenders for at LEAST the ECF championship trophy... within the next 4 years..

I mean come on, what's not to get excited about with the potential these 6 young guys show??
    Roy Hibbert , Paul George , George Hill , Darren Collison, Lance Stephenson .. Tyler Hansbrough...

If even only 2 out of those 6 turn out like we think, and hope.... All I gotta say is ... LOOKOUT Eastern Conference.... There's a new sheriff in town ...

And that's not even including our main man Danny-freakin-Granger ..

So yes once again , I believe we will be ... within 4 years... but I'm betting on 3 .. maybe 2 years .. IF our guys play and grow into their potential..

Mind you , I didn't necessarily say we would win a championship, but I can definitely see an east coast semi-finals and a finals run within the 4 years time...

But can you imagine how damn good we would be if lightning struck and 3 or 4 out of those 6 players panned out to their potential ??

PLUS having DG33 ..

All I have to say to each and every one of you here on PD... is to be patient..
    This very next season of the NBA (barring the lockout) will be the season we see it all come together as far as chemistry, and getting back on track to winning and our team having the "winning attitude" ..

After this season of "gelling" , we are gonna be a very dangerous team that nobody wants to play...

Mark it down, take a picture, and send a postcard... lol

Because IMO , we potentially have a stacked deck , so to speak.. like I said , just give them time to build their chemistry and become a real "team" under our wonderful new HeadCoach Frank Vogel....... and I swear on everything sacred , that our boys won't disappoint ...

How's THAT for sunshiner? lol ..

Difference is ... I honestly believe it very well could happen ..

Last edited by Kemo; 08-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    You ask a good question but I think the answer is fairly simple. These athletes already have it "better" than 99.9% of the world. The are rich, famous, and get that way playing a kids game.
    I hate and despise that statement more than anything in the world. Basketball is NOT a kid's game.

I would LOVE to play basketball over my regular job. Heck, if I could keep my same salary to play basketball, then I would quit without giving it a second thought.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Karl Malone ???
    Gary Payton ???

Surely, you must be speaking of their "twilight" years ... lol
    Because "The Mailman" and "The Glove" were BOTH awesome players in their prime...
    Yeah, I am sure melli meant the LA years. They should have both just retired but came back to LA and they were less effective and couldn't get it done.