Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colts Preseason Games All In One Thread

Default Re: Colts Preseason Games All In One Thread

There's nothing wrong with the way the Colts use the preseason.... except that they actually charge admission to the 'games'....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm 100% certain Painter will be cut and we'll go into the season with Orlovsky backing up Manning. Complaining about a contingency plan for the Colts regarding Manning is pointless. Who could the Colts get as a back up? Forget about getting a QB as good as Manning as there are maybe only two or three other guys in the league that good. Most of the teams in the league have starting QB's that would be a HUGE dropoff from Peyton and we're supposed to worry about getting a backup? No, if the unthinkable happens and Manning does get significantly injured, you just accept it and move on. There's no point in hoping there's a savior out there to make up for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm 100% certain Painter will be cut and we'll go into the season with Orlovsky backing up Manning. Complaining about a contingency plan for the Colts regarding Manning is pointless. Who could the Colts get as a back up? Forget about getting a QB as good as Manning as there are maybe only two or three other guys in the league that good. Most of the teams in the league have starting QB's that would be a HUGE dropoff from Peyton and we're supposed to worry about getting a backup? No, if the unthinkable happens and Manning does get significantly injured, you just accept it and move on. There's no point in hoping there's a savior out there to make up for something like that.

So this team should just be dependent on one player? That's always been my biggest issue with the Colts they insist on having everything dependent on him rather than being you know a balanced team. As great as Manning is he shouldn't have to do everything and he's at the age where he can't either.

The Pats as much as we loathe them are a balanced team that's why they can win games without Brady.

I just want a backup that's at least better than Painter and sadly I think we're stuck with him. The Colts won't cut him anytime soon.

Bad as Painter is, he was pretty clearly the best Colts QB last night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yes how dare some of us fans actually expect more out of a team that has the potential to actually be considered a dynasty.

Manning is a once in a lifetime player when he's gone barring some Aaron Rodgers/Steve Young type situation the Colts will be irrelevant for a very long long time. We will never see anything like this ever again.

The Colts want to settle for being good enough and think that's enough to win multiple SB's but its not and never will be and its irritating that they think otherwise. There's nothing wrong with wanting them to improve if everything was perfect with this team we'd never lose and win multiple SBs but they don't. And we're not the Bengals and Lions for a reason because we expect more than they do. They're willing to settle for mediocrity and that's a large part of why they're garbage organizations.

Instead they'll end up being another Favre led Packers which is fine for most teams but really they could've been more. You apparently expect less that's your problem.
    Everything you just said is a good reason to appreciate what we have, not whine and fail to fully appreciate it. We agree on everything, just have different takes on how to approach it now.

Your problem, is that you think not whining about something you can't do anything about is a problem at all. You enjoy never being satisfied.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So this team should just be dependent on one player? That's always been my biggest issue with the Colts they insist on having everything dependent on him rather than being you know a balanced team. As great as Manning is he shouldn't have to do everything and he's at the age where he can't either.

The Pats as much as we loathe them are a balanced team that's why they can win games without Brady.

I just want a backup that's at least better than Painter and sadly I think we're stuck with him. The Colts won't cut him anytime soon.
    yes the Colts should depend on one player. Just face it if you guys have a good back up like a Shaun Hill it wont make a difference. If #18 isnt playing QB you guys have no shot.

The Pats weren't gonna win a SB without Brady they had a decent season but they weren't a threat. They didn't run the ball good enough. If you build a team like Pittsburgh(who run it down your throat) does than a QB doesn't matter as much but teams who air it out need their great QB.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Everything you just said is a good reason to appreciate what we have, not whine and fail to fully appreciate it. We agree on everything, just have different takes on how to approach it now.

Your problem, is that you think not whining about something you can't do anything about is a problem at all. You enjoy never being satisfied.

Yes because apparently stating the obvious is considered "whining" to you. Just what exactly is the definition of a fan to you?

Accepting everything is peachy keen with a team even though the team has obvious flaws that they don't address all that well if at all. Then have the management of the team full of arrogance to be upset when they're called out for their incompetence?

I'm not exactly seeing how we agree on anything at all its not like the Colts of the mid 90's where getting to the AFC Title game was the greatest accomplishment the team has ever had. And back then it was acceptable I had no problem with it. An above .500 record and a playoff berth was fine.

Its a different team now more is and should be expected of them.

Any other market it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    yes the Colts should depend on one player. Just face it if you guys have a good back up like a Shaun Hill it wont make a difference. If #18 isnt playing QB you guys have no shot.

The Pats weren't gonna win a SB without Brady they had a decent season but they weren't a threat. They didn't run the ball good enough. If you build a team like Pittsburgh(who run it down your throat) does than a QB doesn't matter as much but teams who air it out need their great QB.
    That's stupid as great as Montana was it wasn't dependent on him they did have a decent run game and a great defense to go with it.

Even the Broncos near the end of Elway's career had a decent defense and a run game to help him get the rings that kept him from being another Dan Marino.

Why can't the Colts?

Yes because apparently stating the obvious is considered "whining" to you. Just what exactly is the definition of a fan to you?

Accepting everything is peachy keen with a team even though the team has obvious flaws that they don't address all that well if at all. Then have the management of the team full of arrogance to be upset when they're called out for their incompetence?

I'm not exactly seeing how we agree on anything at all its not like the Colts of the mid 90's where getting to the AFC Title game was the greatest accomplishment the team has ever had. And back then it was acceptable I had no problem with it. An above .500 record and a playoff berth was fine.

Its a different team now more is and should be expected of them.

Any other market it would be.
    You're not complaining about everything not being "peachy keen", you're simply complaining about EVERYTHING.

That's the difference you're not getting. You don't sound like a fan at all, more like an angry ex lover talking about their ex. As far as 'stating the obvious is whining to me', it's not so obvious, you just think it is. Regardless, if I sit around all day complaining about how my neighbor bought a Lamborghini and I can't afford one all the time, it's obvious, and after a point can come across whiny.

You've crossed that threshold a long, long time ago. It's a never ending whine fest. It's like reading vnzla post about Mike Dunleavy to be quite honest.

Either way, enjoy your silly whining. I'm through reading it. This is only about the 59594958th thread you've whined down the same path.

An argument to having an acceptable backup for Manning-

What if the backup just needs to keep the team in the playoff hunt while Manning recuperates?

So far the argument seems to be centered on losing Manning for the season and the backup meaning the team won't be winning the SB anyway. But what if the backup just needs to be able to win a few games so that when Manning returns the team is still in the playoff hunt (or at least still has a shot at the playoffs that might be lost with an 0-6 or 1-5 run in the middle of the season)?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

One big thing I noticed:

Castonzo really has a thing for blocking thin air

I know he doesn't know the playbook entirely and that was likely what caused it, but I can't count the number of times that he was literally blocking thin air.

Other things I noticed:

- Was that really supposed to be the new and improved Curtis Painter....?

- Drake Nevis is a beast on pass rushes. Needs some work on run stopping.

- Delone Carter is going to be a really good running back for us.

- Chad Spann is no longer allowed to return kickoffs (Devin Moore will anyways)

- Donald Brown actually can run the football (Who knew?)

- Mike Pollak still sucks (That's a shocker)

- Our punt and kickoff coverage looked pretty good

- Our first team defense looked good (Only got scored on because they were put in a bad spot due to interceptions)

- Jerry Hughes still can't beat someone off the edge to save his life
    Last edited by Psyren; 08-14-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    An argument to having an acceptable backup for Manning-

What if the backup just needs to keep the team in the playoff hunt while Manning recuperates?

So far the argument seems to be centered on losing Manning for the season and the backup meaning the team won't be winning the SB anyway. But what if the backup just needs to be able to win a few games so that when Manning returns the team is still in the playoff hunt (or at least still has a shot at the playoffs that might be lost with an 0-6 or 1-5 run in the middle of the season)?
    Thats a solid point Bball. The real reason why we don't have a solid backup is because we would rather pinch a penny and use the money else where or not at all. IMO there are very few things that would keep Manning out for 4-5 games. A broken jaw didn't do it and the only thing I could see "making" him hold a clip board for a few games is a shoulder sprain (knock on wood). Their hedging their bets that the least sacked quarterback won't get hurt and if he does then its going to have to be a season ending injury.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have zero expectations for the Colts this season and that's the same stance I've taken the last 3 seasons. Each time they've really surprised me but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again this season.

On paper, they look very mediocre on defense and the offensive line has a lot of question marks but that's not any different than how I felt this time last year. If Peyton, Addai, Clark, Wayne, and Bethea are healthy, they'll always have a chance to win enough games to make it to the playoffs. If any of them miss significant time, they'll struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

We win 10 games again this year Peyton deserves to have the MVP trophy named after him. This is pathetic, the D's just dreadful.

Observations in no particular order ..............

Painter is horrible. If he's not waived, it's a damn shame to waste a roster spot on him.

O-line isn't THAT bad, but they need to grow up fast. REALLY fast.

Painter is horrible.

Mark Herrmann is a pitiful announcer. After a horrendous half of football by Painter, his comments are "I'm sure Curtis is a little disappointed with the way he played." And Custer was a little disappointed that there were so many Indians.

Drake Nevis is big. He may not make a lot of tackles, but he makes the runner go elsewhere. He's going to be a player.

Painter is horrible.

Good to see Dallas out there. Looks ready.

Painter is horrible.

I'm at the game and I have been eyeballing a couple of players instead of watching the plays. I really like Castanzo. Jerry Hughes looks better than I have ever seen. I liked Kevin Thomas as well today. RB Carter looked good too.

Oh and Painter sucks.

I'd rather have freakin' Jamarcus Russell at back up qb at this point.....that tells you how bad Curtis Painter sucks.
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Yes. Let's keep harping on how bad a guy that'll never see the field is when there's obvious gaping problems with the 1st team defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes. Let's keep harping on how bad a guy that'll never see the field is when there's obvious gaping problems with the 1st team defense.
    It's not so much Painter flat out sucking that has people pissed off.

The problem is this:

1) Brandstater outplayed Painter last year. Painter still made the team.
    2) Orlovsky has outplayed Painter this year. In all liklihood (Due to managements stubborness), Painter won't be the one getting cut, which is complete crap.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Orlovsky is nothing to write home about, but he's obviously light years beyond Painter. I'll take him and cut Painter ASAP for the love of God. All the guy does is throw picks and waste reasonable protections looking like he has no idea where the hell anybody is. Has he completed a pass of at least 10 yards in his career?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Also, the front line defenders made the Beck guy look like Joe Montana and Hightower and the rookie Helu look like Tony Dorsett. I am extremely concerned about our defensive secondary.

There were some young guys who looked good, particularly in the second half. But they'll really have to develop fast to be significant in non-preseason comp. Agreed - if we win 10+, another MVP for Manning.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's not so much Painter flat out sucking that has people pissed off.

The problem is this:

1) Brandstater outplayed Painter last year. Painter still made the team.
    2) Orlovsky has outplayed Painter this year. In all liklihood (Due to managements stubborness), Painter won't be the one getting cut, which is complete crap.
    Who cares? Throw out all the hypotheticals you want with Peyton going down, the guy's missed one play in his entire career, that's the reality. The Colts clearly don't care how good their backup is on the field, maybe Painter's a good film study partner, maybe he's the real father of Manning's twins, we'll never know. They clearly favor him for what they ask for from a backup QB and that's good enough for me because he'll never see the field.

In no way am I saying Painter's an NFL football player. I'm just tired of anywhere I go online or anyone I talk to on the street the first thing I hear is OMGZ PAINTER BLOWS. No one cares about our frontline D getting gashed for 2 50+ runs and multiple other big gains from the likes of Tim Hightower and some rookie named Halu or something? Or Bethea getting hurt? Or the kick return team being the worst it's ever looked (which is saying a lot)? Curtis Painter sucking should be the least of anyone's worries but it's all anyone talks about.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-20-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Mood

Yes, they looked bad last night but I saw some positive. Angerer looked good, I really like Nevis and our rookie RB looks like he could potentially be pretty good as well. I am gonna wait on my how far I think we can go until some of our new free agents see more field time.

The player that has impressed me the most during preseason is Nevis. He is exactly what the Colts have needed at DT for years. Him, Mathis, and Freeney are going to get a ton of pressure on the QB. Not sure how I feel about him in run support, but I like that he can push linemen back.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who cares? Throw out all the hypotheticals you want with Peyton going down, the guy's missed one play in his entire career, that's the reality.
    Not so fast my friend .

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...s-opener-doubt

Now, about Curtis "I should be a house" Painter.................