Thread: Roy Hibbert to appear on "Parks and Recreation"

Default Roy Hibbert to appear on "Parks and Recreation"

Probably the only Pacer we'll see on TV for a while......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp7391

Roy Hibbert will appear on NBC’s “Parks and Recreation”
    By Eric Freeman
    On a random Thursday night in winter, I look forward to two things: good NBA games on TNT and NBC's Thursday night comedy lineup. So, after watching Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith make fun of each other's advanced ages, I flip over to The Peacock to catch up with the hilarious comedy "Parks and Recreation," in which the employees of small-town Indiana government contend with bureaucracy and their own personal hangups. It is one of the best comedies on TV right now and you should definitely watch it if you don't already.

The series also has a basketball connection. Former NBA great Detlef Schrempf has appeared twice as himself, first as a special guest on a city-wide telethon and second as an in-house consultant/basketball player for Tom Haverford's Entertainment 720 media group. In the fourth season, Schrempf will be joined on the show by a current NBA player. He tweeted the news on Tuesday while filming another appearance:

Lots of fun on the set of Park & Rec. Aziz Anzari & Ben Schwartz are hilarious! Gotta give it up for Roy Hibbert(notes) for his first acting gig!

Indeed, let's give it up for Roy! Based on the events of the third-season finale, I am going to guess that Tom and his Entertainment 720 co-mastermind Jean-Ralphio bring in Hibbert as yet another in-house consultant/basketball player, perhaps so Schrempf will not get bored as he shoots baskets. It's a genius move, and exactly the kind of move that can turn a boring old office into a fully functional interactive workspace and dreamatorium.

Hibbert cultivates a serious, no-nonsense manner on the NBA court, but his Twitter account proves that he's actually a laidback guy with a good sense of humor. "Parks and Rec" showrunner Michael Schur (aka Fire Joe Morgan's Ken Tremendous) likely hasn't asked him to be any more than a straight man in this episode. Whatever the case, he should handle it well.

I, for one, await this episode's air date with bated breath. If only because Hibbert may be the only NBA player on Thursday TV for quite some time.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert to appear on "Parks and Recreation"

If he's wearing an Area 55 shirt, that'd be EPIC.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Way to go big Roy! Like the show even more now. love the Pacers connection.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

great. show, great guy. cant wait for the new seasons of several shows to start!

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I'm definitely going to try to watch it when it airs, then. I'll take any publicity of the Pacers that they can get (as long as it's positive publicity)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's wearing an Area 55 shirt, that'd be EPIC.
    Be even more epic if he broke out the Area 55ber shirt.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Ken Tremendous is their showrunner? That explains why there's finally a show on network TV that's funny.

Straight from the man himself: NEXT WEEK!

Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
    September 29th at 8:30 on NBC I am make a cameo on Parks and Recreation. I need all of you to tune in and watch to see my acting debut.
    43 minutes ago

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony show up on the next Law & Order SVU September 28.

Pfft. SVU is getting overhauled. Roy got the better gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Straight from the man himself: NEXT WEEK!

Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
    September 29th at 8:30 on NBC I am make a cameo on Parks and Recreation. I need all of you to tune in and watch to see my acting debut.
    43 minutes ago
    Wow that quick

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony show up on the next Law & Order SVU September 28.
    What are they arrested for? I hope their defense in court is better than their defense on the court.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    What are they arrested for? I hope their defense in court is better than their defense on the court.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

They make cameos as part of a basketball team

Born Ready

Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
    I need every1 to get the word out. 830 sept 29th NBC Parks n Recreation. Come on pacersdigest hoyasaxa.com guhoyas.com espn.com. It's funny.
    The Brawl set our franchise back years but it was a hell of a lot fun to watch!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewEra For This Useful Post:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...reation-cameo/

Roy Hibbert reflects on his Parks and Recreation cameo
    Eric Koreen Dec 28, 2011 – 5:58 PM ET | Last Updated: Dec 28, 2011 9:54 PM ET

John Gress/Reuters
    When Roy Hibbert, left, learned Derrick Rose had planned to make a TV appearance, Hibbert start thinking about what show he would like to be on.

.Comments Email Twitter inShare.0.NBA players had different ways of staying busy during the lockout. Roy Hibbert decided to try his hand at acting. The Indiana Pacers centre played himself on two episodes of Parks and Recreation, the NBC comedy that a few different critics (here and here) have called the best show of 2011. On the show, Hibbert played an employee of Entertainment 720, the ill-defined, money-bleeding company co-owned by Tom (Aziz Ansari) and Jean-Ralphio (Ben Schwartz, whom he helped dunk). Before his team played against the Toronto Raptors, Hibbert talked with Post basketball writer Eric Koreen (also a fan of the show) about the experience.

NP How did the role come about?
    RH My fiancée and myself watch this show called The Good Wife. I read somewhere that Derrick Rose was supposed to be on an episode, but I guess after a game he came back and was tired. The network, CBS, sent out a limo and had a flight already set up for him. But he missed the limo, missed the flight, overslept. I started thinking to myself, ‘What TV show do I watch that I want to be on?” I watch Parks and Rec. It’s set in a fictitious city in Indiana. I called my agent. He called [Saturday Night Live creator] Lorne Michaels. And we went from there.

NP Did you have a good time on set?
    RH I had a great time. I was only in three scenes. But I was there for 10-11 hours. It was so fun. Hopefully I can go back.

NP Had you caught up on what was happening on the show?
    RH Oh, yeah. I’ve seen every episode. At that point in time, I’d watched every season, every episode. I knew what was going on. They threw a couple of angles at me — maybe a love interest — but I liked what they had me do.

NP There was a bit of a lockout joke in your first appearance. Were you worried about that?
    RH I didn’t even know. Half of the stuff that they said wasn’t even on the script. They just went off the top of their heads. They’re such great comedians that they decided to roll with it. I was laughing half of the time I was there.

NP Who’s your favourite character on the show?
    RH I’d have to say Ben Schwartz, who plays Jean-Ralphio. He’s a close friend of mine now, too. We talk all the time. I go see his comedy shows whenever I can in L.A. I like him a lot.

NP Did your phone blow up after the cameo?
    RH I got a lot of Twitter messages. That was fun. Seriously. I did two episodes. Hopefully I can go back and do a third.

Never watched the show but might have to watch that episode. Interested to see Roy act.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose