Thread: ESPN's New NFL QB ratings system

Default ESPN's New NFL QB ratings system

explanation:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...terback-rating

It seems to me like a good effort to take a lot of factors into account that are ignored by passer rating alone. The multifactorial approach makes it pretty complicated, though.

I like the 0-100 scale.

ESPN has a special about this tonight.

Default Re: ESPN's New NFL QB ratings system

Sounds like just another way for ESPN to self-promote themselves. And more fodder for their talking heads to talk about. Yawn. YAWN.

Some QBs are good, some aren't. Sometimes a good QB has a bad day. Sometimes a bad QB has a good day. I prefer to watch the games rather than involve myself in numbers that mean absolutely nothing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like just another way for ESPN to self-promote themselves. And more fodder for their talking heads to talk about. Yawn. YAWN.

Some QBs are good, some aren't. Sometimes a good QB has a bad day. Sometimes a bad QB has a good day. I prefer to watch the games rather than involve myself in numbers that mean absolutely nothing.
    I totally agree with your first sentence and how I would just rather watch superior athletes go at it then worry about some damn numbers game. But I sorta disagree with you on the good QB/bad QB subject. Here's how I look at it. If your good enough to make it to the big leagues be it basketball, baseball, football or any other sport were your facing top tear talent on an everyday base's. Then you cant possibly be bad/suck/no good. I mean there are less talented QB's out there but at the same time are they demanding the type of effort say Manning does? Or do they have an offensive line that can hold up a Freeney or Mathis from sacking there a**..... Do they have a defense that can hold off an offense that just got the ball on there side of the goal.... You get what Im say'n broski. Basically in a pro league any team can win any givin day. Thats just how I feel about said subject. And your right any QB can have a bad or great day.
    Last edited by Bury Your Dead; 08-05-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add on
    Try hard-er or Die hard-er. In this to win it.

Maybe I should have expanded on that. Some QBs are good given their talents, the talent around them and the system they play in. Sometimes it doesn't all fit together.

I just get tired of hearing all these debates / discussions about who is better than who. Football is a team thing. Golf, tennis .......... yeah those are individual sports and it's easy to say who is better than who. Team sports - I simply don't think you can isolate 1 person on a team and say he's the reason they win a given game.

I'm ready for FOOTBALL - not a rating system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

My problem is it's not a statistical rating, it's a statistical analysis. Two different analysts may divide credit differently or give a play a different clutch index. Of course, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they do have an exact model to break down numbers like that, but they're not telling. What's the point of a "stat" you can't compute, you have to wait 12 hours for ESPN to put it out? Lame.

I would have much rather they taken the Passer rating and updated it to include rushing yards, sacks, dropped balls, etc, instead of making it subjective.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

i like having another point of comparison for QB discussions

it is self-promotion and program creation by ESPN. They're a TV channel, no real sports are happening right now..what do you expect?

i think this is MUCH more about the popularity of fantasy football than it is ESPN desperately wanting to make Trent Dilfer look smarter

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    My problem is it's not a statistical rating, it's a statistical analysis. Two different analysts may divide credit differently or give a play a different clutch index. Of course, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they do have an exact model to break down numbers like that, but they're not telling. What's the point of a "stat" you can't compute, you have to wait 12 hours for ESPN to put it out? Lame.

I would have much rather they taken the Passer rating and updated it to include rushing yards, sacks, dropped balls, etc, instead of making it subjective.
    This is my problem with it too. Its adding subjectivity to stats and that really seems to be the opposite of what stats are, which is just straight up data with no interpretation. I think they do have an exact model to break everything down as each play has point values. This is certainly far from perfect.

I do like the concept of this QBR and it does seem to work rather well looking at the top games and top QB's last year and last 3 years. Michael Vick's MNF performance against the Redskins was the highest rated game in the last 3 years with a 99.8 and quite frankly that was one hell of a game.

Its really not a stat, and it shouldn't be looked at as a stat and ESPN shouldn't refer to it as a stat. They named it correctly in calling it a rating, because thats what it truly is. Its not great, but does seem better than the passer rating and I think the results of the top QB's in past seasons shows that it does work.
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 08-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.