Thread: Dwight Howard

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dwight Howard

I know. I know.

It is a slow summer. Give me a break. I was thinking about all the possible moves that we have available to us with our cap space. Here is something I wonder if the Magic would consider around next year's trade deadline.

IND Gets:

Dwight Howard
    Gilbert Arenas

ORL Gets:

Roy Hibbert
    Paul George
    Darren Collison (or Brandon Rush)
    James Posey (to make salaries work)
    2012 First round pick
    2014 First round pick

We take the risk of losing Howard obviously, but we would offer him a full extension once he got here. Gilbert would be owed roughly $50M still, but that I am sure would be the cost to any team trying to trade for Howard. I would prefer to take on Turkoglu, but the Magic would make Arenas the condition.

They get a youth infusion by replacing Howard with Hibbert. Paul George is a clear cut starter on that team. Then our 2012 first in a strong draft class. Add in another pick in 2014 when they will be having a lot of their contracts falling off the books as well. This deal would get them a solid young foundation moving forward with Bass, Anderson, and Orton also young players in their front court. They have Nelson at PG and the rest of the guys I really only consider contracts.

I doubt a move like this would happen. I don't think Bird would consider bringing in Arenas. Ever. Dwight could opt out shortly after he got here and Arenas would still be on our books for another $42 over two years. The only way we would even come close to considering this is if Howard would sign an extension for us before the trade. I would send them Collison or Rush as well if necessary. I think they might be interested in Rush as a SG option for a couple of months.

PG - Hill, Arenas, Price
    SG - Rush, Stephenson, DJones
    SF - Granger
    PF - Hansborough
    C - Howard

All of this depends on who we do or don't sign this off-season and we would have to defer our cap usage until next year for this to even happen, but trade proposals are all hypothetical.

Let me know what you think.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dwight Howard

Honestly, I'd have to say no.

*Edit: I wouldn't do it.

He's probably going to want to leave so we might be able to get some nice value for him like Amare (because the Knicks need to manage their cap) if he chooses to go there and we'd accept.

It's not going to happen anyway and I don't want to be stuck with Gilbert Arenas' awful contract and giving away Paul.

So no thank you.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 08-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

no thanks to that.

damn, I took a look at the NBA trade machine. Reddick makes almost $7M/year. lmao!!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Switch Paul George for Granger, and DC for Rush and a 2nd, and I'm in. But no way I wanna give up that many young guys for one player, no matter how great.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Dwight agreed to an extension than yes you do it. A dominate big is almost impossible to find. If you had to give that package for Melo I would probably decline but Dwight is a different beast you take Dwight and run.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Switch Paul George for Granger, and DC for Rush and a 2nd, and I'm in. But no way I wanna give up that many young guys for one player, no matter how great.
    guess you like being stuck in average land. Dwight would be worth every bit of what we give up and more. The guy would sell tickets something we haven't had in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    guess you like being stuck in average land. Dwight would be worth every bit of what we give up and more. The guy would sell tickets something we haven't had in awhile
    Well, we are on that track to selling more tickets again. Getting Dwight and selling out every game instantly would be great.

Guess we're all stuck in "average" land. There's only a few teams in this league who dominate. We had our time. We're trying to get back there and we're no doubt only going to improve.

A trade like this is possible if Orlando wants what we have to give, but that's unlikely. With the new CBA being put in place, Dwight won't be able to go to his big market as swiftly as he would like. He'd have to do a S&T if he wants to join a group with a bunch of stars. Orlando would probably benefit a lot. If Dwight wants to go to NY, Orlando can wind up with Amare just so the Knicks manage their cap.

Ok so let's say we get Dwight Howard and lose all of our young talent. You can't say we'd be better than Orlando now (with Howard). So we sacrifice young talent to have a ceiling of 3rd place in the Eastern Conference. I'd rather keep our young talent, see how it pans out, and go from their. Because I believe Roy + PG + Collison + our draft picks give us a higher ceiling than Howard and none of that.

Who I would really like to go out and sign is Kevin Love. That's probably more realistic than getting and actually keeping Dwight Howard.

Offer him a big chunk of our cap space and not settle on someone like David West.

I don't know what Minnesota will do and how much they'll match what we'd offer.

We still keep our core group and I think he'd be a great fit for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Who I would really like to go out and sign is Kevin Love. That's probably more realistic than getting and actually keeping Dwight Howard.

Offer him a big chunk of our cap space and not settle on someone like David West.

I don't know what Minnesota will do and how much they'll match what we'd offer.

We still keep our core group and I think he'd be a great fit for us.
    I definitely wouldn't mind a little K-Love. He would be a good fit next to Hibbert with his excellent rebounding.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thatch3232 For This Useful Post:

I would trade Granger + Hibbert + 2 first round picks for Howard
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    I definitely wouldn't mind a little K-Love. He would be a good fit next to Hibbert with his excellent rebounding.
    K-Love will be a RFA he wont be a Pacer

K-Love will be a RFA he wont be a Pacer
    Okay?

We're just mentioning how it would be nice to see K-Love in a Pacer uni. No one is guaranteeing it will happen like you're guaranteeing he won't be a Pacer.

We have a nice shot to get him though if Minnesota can't match our offer. Having 20M+ in cap and they have just over 5M.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Okay?

We're just mentioning how it would be nice to see K-Love in a Pacer uni. No one is guaranteeing it will happen like you're guaranteeing he won't be a Pacer.

We have a nice shot to get him though if Minnesota can't match our offer. Having 20M+ in cap and they have just over 5M.
    But being restricted they can match anything. And they will. Unless Kahn lets him go. I would try to trade for him. Come to terms on an extension for Love before agreeing to the deal. I would trade Granger and Hansborough for Love.

we can't do Areanas anyway you go. Best case I see to get Howard is giving up Granger,Hibbert,Posey and at least one first while also getting Turk. Let Orlando use the Amnesty clause to buy out Arenas and let them build a solid team. Nelson, Reddick, Granger, Bass, Hibbert not a bad start. Collison, Geroge, Turk, Hansboorugh, Howard could be Nasty. I'd really like to see Howard and Hansborough together I think they'be an intensity nitmare for teams. The Bench needs some Front court depth but it's out there.

Nice to dream no chance in hell but it's a nice dream.

Nerd.
    Mood

Arenas, no no no.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post: