Thread: Colts sign linebacker Ernie Sims

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts sign linebacker Ernie Sims

ANDERSON, Ind. – The Indianapolis Colts continued to pluck former first-round draft picks from the veteran free-agent market.

Their latest acquisition: linebacker Ernie Sims. Todd France, Sims’ agent, confirmed the signing.

Sims was a first-round pick of the Detroit Lions in 2006, the ninth overall pick. The Colts earlier signed defensive end Jamaal Anderson, a 2007 first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons.

In five seasons with the Lions (2006-09) and Philadelphia (2010), Sims started 71 of a possible 80 regular-season games. He had a career-high 134 tackles in 2007.
    The 6-0, 230-pounder has 4 1/2 sacks and five interceptions in his career.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...t|IndyStar.com
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Default Re: Colts sign linebacker Ernie Sims

I don't know much about Sims, but if I remember correctly the big worry on him coming out was that he was concussion-prone. That said, he has seemed to stay healthy over the years. If he can stay healthy then there is no reason why he can't come in and help us, we do need linebackers.

Mood

Nice pick up.

LOVE this- http://insider.espn....cker-ernie-sims/

"YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW the man with the large jaw, but Adrian Peterson does. When we asked our guest editor in chief which opposing player he hates facing most, a guy who deserves more pub, Ernie Sims was the first name he gave. "He's like the Tasmanian Devil," says Peterson, who faced Sims twice a year when both were in the NFC North. "He's extremely athletic, he's in on every play and he's a huge hitter."

If that praise comes as a surprise, blame Detroit. In Sims' first three years, the 2006 first-rounder led the NFC with 370 tackles. He did it playing weakside linebacker (or "Will"), a position known for smaller 'backers who specialize in pass coverage. But the Lions also won just 10 games in that stretch. With that kind of futility comes anonymity, even after Sims was traded to Philadelphia last April.

Colleagues, though, have known Sims as a streaking game-film blur for the past five years. He earned his rep by being one of the league's best linebackers at avoiding congestion, spotting the ball and then tracking down runners. "He has to be one of the most acrobatic players in the league," says Lions running back Kevin Smith. "Sideline to sideline, he's a beast. You can size him up all you want, but if he wants contact, he'll find it. And he hits like a freight train." Adds Eagles center Jamaal Jackson, "Ernie's the fastest linebacker I've ever seen."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBones19 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JBones19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOVE this- http://insider.espn....cker-ernie-sims/

"YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW the man with the large jaw, but Adrian Peterson does. When we asked our guest editor in chief which opposing player he hates facing most, a guy who deserves more pub, Ernie Sims was the first name he gave. "He's like the Tasmanian Devil," says Peterson, who faced Sims twice a year when both were in the NFC North. "He's extremely athletic, he's in on every play and he's a huge hitter."

If that praise comes as a surprise, blame Detroit. In Sims' first three years, the 2006 first-rounder led the NFC with 370 tackles. He did it playing weakside linebacker (or "Will"), a position known for smaller 'backers who specialize in pass coverage. But the Lions also won just 10 games in that stretch. With that kind of futility comes anonymity, even after Sims was traded to Philadelphia last April.

Colleagues, though, have known Sims as a streaking game-film blur for the past five years. He earned his rep by being one of the league's best linebackers at avoiding congestion, spotting the ball and then tracking down runners. "He has to be one of the most acrobatic players in the league," says Lions running back Kevin Smith. "Sideline to sideline, he's a beast. You can size him up all you want, but if he wants contact, he'll find it. And he hits like a freight train." Adds Eagles center Jamaal Jackson, "Ernie's the fastest linebacker I've ever seen."
    link...http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/s...ker-ernie-sims
    Why so SERIOUS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

lol just read the whole thing... sucks he wanted to go to the Bears though, lol... He will love the Colts though and the way they play... so no worries...
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    lol just read the whole thing... sucks he wanted to go to the Bears though, lol... He will love the Colts though and the way they play... so no worries...
    im glad he isnt a bear the guy is terrible but so is Vernon Golston and every 1 the Bears signed

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    im glad he isnt a bear the guy is terrible but so is Vernon Golston and every 1 the Bears signed
    He beasted his first 3 years... playing the Will for the Colts I expect him to get back to his 100 plus tackle numbers... Didn't know that over his first 3 years in the NFL that he led the NFC in tackles..

I'm assuming they will have him at WILL, Angerer at SAM and Bracket at MIKE...

As far as Golston seems like he has decent potential but just seems like he can't get it going.... wish him the best with his new team though...
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    He beasted his first 3 years... playing the Will for the Colts I expect him to get back to his 100 plus tackle numbers... Didn't know that over his first 3 years in the NFL that he led the NFC in tackles..

I'm assuming they will have him at WILL, Angerer at SAM and Bracket at MIKE...

As far as Golston seems like he has decent potential but just seems like he can't get it going.... wish him the best with his new team though...
    Donta Whitner had 120+ tackles last year it wasnt because he was that good the Bills were just that bad. Same with Sims when in Motown.

Mood

Donta Whitner had 120+ tackles last year it wasnt because he was that good the Bills were just that bad. Same with Sims when in Motown.
    IDK... I think Whitner is okay as well just not a play maker... I will say when you have a teams leading tackler as a safety that isn't as good of a thing, unless he plays in the box all the time like Bob did.... but when u have a LB that can do that I have no problems with that because that is what he is supposed to be doing.

I think with his style and the way that we play he will fit very well...our defense is focused on SPEED and he has tons of it, along with being a sure tackler and being able to play in coverage... we will see though...
    Why so SERIOUS

I'll take the word of Adrian Peterson and other NFL players over that of a kid posting on the internet.
    Grown Man Ball

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

This made me feel good about Lefeged:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ed-free-agents
    Undrafted free agents were among the biggest victims of the NFL lockout, as they were unable to have contact with teams or sign contracts while owners and players worked out a new collective bargaining agreement.

However, with free agency set to begin this week, that state of limbo is ending and undrafted players will finally know where they're headed.

Here's a look at the top 40 undrafted free agents in Scouts Inc.'s 2011 prospect rankings and what they have to offer NFL teams. Those who have signed contracts are noted.

1. Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers (Scouts Inc. grade: 73)
    Lefeged possesses a nice combination of size and straight-line speed, and the range, discipline and toughness to contribute as a sub-package safety and special-teams player early in his career. He also has the skills and potential to develop into a starting strong safety in time.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I'll take the word of Adrian Peterson and other NFL players over that of a kid posting on the internet.
    P4E isn't the only guy that thinks Ernie Sims sucks. Personally, I'm a fan of the Sims signing. But there are plenty of detractors out there. Since we always use fast LBs, I'm hoping it's a good fit, but I won't be surprised if we're disappointed.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    P4E isn't the only guy that thinks Ernie Sims sucks. Personally, I'm a fan of the Sims signing. But there are plenty of detractors out there. Since we always use fast LBs, I'm hoping it's a good fit, but I won't be surprised if we're disappointed.
    ya if im a Colts fan i like the signing because they may do better with a change of scenery and you got him pretty cheap. bringing in Tommie and Ernie can only help not hurt.

I just dont get why the Colts didn't go and get Albert if they take on Harris any ideas why?

ya if im a Colts fan i like the signing because they may do better with a change of scenery and you got him pretty cheap. bringing in Tommie and Ernie can only help not hurt.

I just dont get why the Colts didn't go and get Albert if they take on Harris any ideas why?
    Injured Tommie > Lazy Albert

That's why right there. Tommie Harris injured was better than any Colts DT last year. And Albert is just hard to motivate. Frankly, I'd rather have Harris.

As far as Sims goes:

Sims is a beast. He's a perfect 4-3 fit and a perfect fit for this defense who has too many players who can't solo tackle.

Sims has his haters, and that's fine. But I liked him in Detroit. I liked him in Philly last year. And I'm sure I'll like him here.

"Hi Haters"

That is all.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

I'm friends with a lot of Bears fans and I know you guys hate Tommie (understandably to a degree) but from a league-wide perspective, Tommie is way less of a risk and way less of a distraction. We gave Tommie a 1-year deal and we'll cut him loose if he sucks, no harm no foul. Haynesworth would have been a completely different situation. Also, on a fan base level, most of our fans hate Haynesworth from his days with the Titans.

The Colts are making some outstanding signings.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

If you told me 3 months ago that I could have Sims or Sessions, I'd take Sims in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    If you told me 3 months ago that I could have Sims or Sessions, I'd take Sims in a heart beat.
    I hope you're right.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Injured Tommie > Lazy Albert

That's why right there. Tommie Harris injured was better than any Colts DT last year. And Albert is just hard to motivate. Frankly, I'd rather have Harris.

As far as Sims goes:

Sims is a beast. He's a perfect 4-3 fit and a perfect fit for this defense who has too many players who can't solo tackle.

Sims has his haters, and that's fine. But I liked him in Detroit. I liked him in Philly last year. And I'm sure I'll like him here.

"Hi Haters"

That is all.

I will give Tommie that Tommie plays though injuries and plays well. I will always love Tommie for what he meant to the Bears when he was here. Like I said he is proablly my gavorite Bear behind Lance Briggs. I understand why he *****ed a lot last season. Lovie didnt play him much due to his injurys but when he went out there he gave 1000% and that's all you can ask from a player.

I am glad he is a Colts though I watch almost all the Colts game or Tivo them if I am watching a Bears game online. Like i said if his knee is right no one in the NFL is as good as Tommie at DT(just my opinion)

and about Ernie I think he sucks but with that said. If im a Colts fan I would much have Ernie Sims for cheap than a way overpaid Clint Session.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-03-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Mood

Personally I think the reason the Colts didn't go for Albert was because no one knew they could get him for a 5th round pick... lol

If that was the case I could have seen the Colts bring in Albert and Tommie...

I wouldn't worry about Albert as much as most, when he played with the Titans he gave a lot on most plays... he didn't put out the lazy effort that he did with the Redskins...
    Why so SERIOUS