Thread: Plaxico Burress is now a Jet

Default Plaxico Burress is now a Jet

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-one-year-deal

Plaxico Burress will sign with JetsEmailPrintComments1155By Rich Cimini
    -- Forget about Braylon Edwards. Forget about Randy Moss. The New York Jets stayed local, signing former Giants Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress to a one-year contract, the team announced Sunday morning.

Burress Spurns Giants For Jets
    Was Plaxico Burress using the Giants as leverage for a deal with another team? It sure looks that way, writes Dan Graziano. Blog

Burress' deal is worth $3.017 million, fully guaranteed, league sources told ESPN Insider Adam Schefter.

The Jets, who showed interest two years ago before Burress served a 20-month prison sentence on gun charges, stepped up their pursuit Friday, the same day Burress visited the Giants to discuss the possibility of playing there.

On Saturday, Burress visited the Pittsburgh Steelers, his first team, where he told former teammates that the Jets wanted him badly. He also reportedly met with the 49ers.

Burress will team with another former Steeler, Santonio Holmes, in what should be one of the most compelling receiving tandems in the league.

The Jets re-signed Holmes to a five-year, $50 million contract and decided to move on from Edwards, who refused to lower his asking price.

NFL Transactions Analysis
    ESPN.com's division bloggers react to all the big NFL free-agent signings and trades throughout the frenzied post-lockout period. Blog

Insider: Instant analysis
    Scouts Inc.: Free-agent tracker

Burress hasn't played since the 2009 season, which ended abruptly for him when he accidently shot himself in the leg at a New York City nightclub.

Burress, who turns 34 on Aug. 12, caught the game-winning touchdown in the Giants' upset of the unbeaten New England Patriots in the 2008 Super Bowl, before his career derailed.

His second chance at the NFL comes with a team that was interested in him a few years ago before he went to prison. Now, he'll likely join the recently re-signed Holmes as Mark Sanchez's top receivers.

Because of the NFL post-lockout rules, Burress can't practice with the team until Thursday. But clearly, the Jets were confident the former Pro Bowl receiver has a lot left as they try for a Super Bowl run. Burress gives Sanchez a big receiver -- he's 6-foot-5 -- to complement Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and a solid running game with Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson.

Plaxico In Photos
    With Plaxico Burress ready to return to the NFL, let's look back on the ex-Giants wide receiver's career. Photo gallery

Burress has 505 catches for 7,845 yards and 55 touchdowns in his NFL career with the Steelers and Giants.

He caught 35 passes for 698 yards and five touchdowns in his final year with Pittsburgh in 2004 as the Steelers slowly broke in Ben Roethlisberger, a rookie at the time. Burress moved on to New York, where he thrived catching balls from Eli Manning, but often ran into trouble with Coughlin.

The move softens the blow for the Jets after losing out on getting cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who was New York's top priority after re-signing Holmes. But Asomugha surprisingly signed with Philadelphia, and the Jets were forced to turn their attention elsewhere.

Burress wrote on his Twitter page: "East Coast here I come!"

Default Re: Plaxico Burress is now a Jet

It will be interesting to see how well he does. I wonder if he lost a step over the past two years. Still one of the best options for the Jets in terms of talent and money at the WR position.

I was hoping that my Rams would get him...we have no one near his talent but have tons of role type receivers (amendola Avery and Clayton) maybe we could get moss and he would fill a need till next year which looks like it will be a strong receiver draft

We couldn't throw 3.5 mil his way? He should of been a Colt. We are going into next season almost exactly the same. It's a shame we have the best QB in history and we can't get him great receivers. Brady's now even has ouchcinco to through too. I think this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if he lost a step over the past two years.
    In prison ?? He probably picked up a step or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We couldn't throw 3.5 mil his way? He should of been a Colt. We are going into next season almost exactly the same. It's a shame we have the best QB in history and we can't get him great receivers. Brady's now even has ouchcinco to through too. I think this is ridiculous.

I rather have a DT instead.

But yeah as far as WR's I rather have Plaxico than Moss(which has been heavily rumored by some guy named incarcerated Bob who has been accurate so far in this FA frenzy)