Thread: Breaking News: Manning agrees to 5 year/ $90 million deal

Default Breaking News: Manning agrees to 5 year/ $90 million deal

per Adam Schefter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Re: Breaking News: Manning agrees to 5 year/ $90 million deal

Good enough for me. I like that he took the same amount as Brady, just an extra year.

Yeah according to Mort, Peyton was willing to take less than Brady but Irsay refused?

WTF?!

Putting that aside lets see what the Colts FO does now because they can't pin this on Manning anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah according to Mort, Peyton was willing to take less than Brady but Irsay refused?

WTF?!

Putting that aside lets see what the Colts FO does now because they can't pin this on Manning anymore.
    Since when has anyone in the Colts organization tried to "pin" anything on Manning? It has generally been just the opposite. They seem to think he can do no wrong.

If Irsay insisted that Peyton take more money then he is crazy. If Peyton would have been happy taking less then why in the world would they not let him?

Even if it was just a couple million less whats wrong with that? Does Irsay just want to be able to say he has the highest paid player in the league or something? I don't understand it.

I'm just happy its done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when has anyone in the Colts organization tried to "pin" anything on Manning? It has generally been just the opposite. They seem to think he can do no wrong.

Really? I guess you forgot Irsay's " We can't afford to pay Peyton Manning $25 million a year and field a decent team" just a few days ago.

Then when Manning offers to take even less than Brady if Mort's report is to be believed Irsay says no way.

Really?

Manning took less like he said he would and apparently said he got assurances from Irsay he'd spend it for FA now lets see Irsay put his $$$ where his trap is.

If they do nothing significant they can't say it was Manning's contract that got in their way.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SI_PeterKing Peter King
    Now we see the Manning deal come into focus. $69m over next 3 ($23m per); new TV deal in 2014 will allow the team to re-do it. Sensible.

The Colts have reportedly reached an agreement with franchise QB Peyton Manning(notes). According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it is a five-year, $90 million deal.

That's an $18 million-a-year average, equaling the deal the Patriots gave Tom Brady(notes) last offseason.

Manning had been given the exclusive franchise tag before the lockout, but owner Jim Irsay had made it clear the team was going to try to sign him to a long-term deal, with a goal of getting it done before Sunday.

Manning, who had neck surgery on May 23 to remove a portion of a bulging disk, has not begun practicing. He told The Indianapolis Star this week, "While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player, I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is." Manning referenced RB Joseph Addai(notes) and OLT Charlie Johnson(notes).

"I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players," he added.

According to Mortensen, Manning told Irsay that a five-year, $100 million deal was not necessary. That would have made him the highest-paid player in football; instead he is at the same average as Brady.

The 11-time Pro Bowler threw 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, while many of his skill players battled injuries.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...90_million_dea