Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 906

Thread: Nirvana's place in the world of music....

  1. #1
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Nirvana's place in the world of music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kurt was a the "John Lennon" of the early 90's. He reached out to the the troubled youth in that era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but comparing Cobain to John Lennon is ridiculous.
    Read with more concentration instead of thinking of your next comeback Joe. Cobain reached out just as Lennon did for their genres.

  2. #2
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,524

    Default Nirvana's place in the world of music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read with more concentration instead of thinking of your next comeback Joe. Cobain reached out just as Lennon did for their genres.
    Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

    An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  3. #3
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

    An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
    Comments like these are exactly what I'm talking about. I don't care if you don't like him or you think he was "a ******** act". Who are you to even judge him? I love Nirvana's music. You don't. So don't come in here complaining about how much you hate his music while disrespecting others that do.

    Maybe you should read up on Cobain, before you go ahead and label him as being a fake tortured soul. Oh wait you already did that. Typical.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

    An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
    He killed himself.

    He was obviously a bit of a tortured soul. Happy people just don't kill themselves.

  5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kurt Cobain reached out by making numerous musics videos where all he did was blank stare at the camera while strumming his guitar and acting like he was a tortured soul. And everyone ate it up, it was a ******** act, you don't go around selling millions of albums and being the most successful alternative rock/grunge band of the 90's and act like you hate every minute of it. I find it hilarious that some newly rich druggie loser who took a shot gun to his head. Is paraded about music history as some tortured soul who was taken from us all too soon.

    An interesting fact finding mission. I wonder how many luxury sport cars Cobain owned or did he drive around in some beat up van while he was a millionaire.
    Are you ****ing serious? You really need to stop talking out of your *** so much.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you ****ing serious? You really need to stop talking out of your *** so much.

  9. #7
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a side-note, Dave Grohl was the star and talent of Nirvana. Cobain was just the frontman who received the fame and notoriety.

    I'll refrain from making any more comments about her death until the toxicology comes back from the laboratory. At that point, I'll see if I agree with the pathologist's determination of cause of death.
    I couldn't agree more on the talent, he's the star now, but wasn't then. Kurt was more talented than your making him out to be as well.

  10. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    I really like the Foo Fighters quite a bit, so I've retroactively gotten into a little bit of Nirvana, and I'll certainly nod in agreement that Grohl is talented. I can't really comment on Kurt as I haven't studied that history. Hell, until I watched that recent Foo documentary on their history, I had no idea Pat Smear was in Nirvana (I just don't study this stuff). I've always heard Nirvana launched (in terms of it becoming a big deal nationally and beyond) a type of rock (grunge?), and having heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, I can see why.

    Although I still can't understand WTF the lyrics are most of the time.

  11. #9
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,524

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comments like these are exactly what I'm talking about. I don't care if you don't like him or you think he was "a ******** act". Who are you to even judge him? I love Nirvana's music. You don't. So don't come in here complaining about how much you hate his music while disrespecting others that do.

    Maybe you should read up on Cobain, before you go ahead and label him as being a fake tortured soul. Oh wait you already did that. Typical.
    He wasn't a tortured soul, he was a heavy drug user. Big difference.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  12. #10
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He wasn't a tortured soul, he was a heavy drug user. Big difference.
    Therefore, you just made yourself look dumb.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Member tsm612's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Noblesville
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He killed himself.

    He was obviously a bit of a tortured soul. Happy people just don't kill themselves.
    And he was married to Courtney Love. If that's not torture, I don't know what is.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read with more concentration instead of thinking of your next comeback Joe. Cobain reached out just as Lennon did for their genres.
    You called him the John Lennon of the early 90's. I don't care how you qualify that, it's not true at all. John Lennon reached out to a lot more than "troubled youth". Cobain was just a product of a societal impetus. Lennon WAS a societal impetus.

    For me it's not about NIrvana's music, I like some of it just fine. But if anything Kurt Cobain was the Dave Matthews of his generation, he had a pretty good band, but he was a great front man that got people to buy into what he was selling, and now he's remembered as some musical savant and apparently capable of being compared to John Lennon whcih just isn't the case IMO, and that has nothing to do with his music or talent level.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. #13
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You called him the John Lennon of the early 90's. I don't care how you qualify that, it's not true at all. John Lennon reached out to a lot more than "troubled youth". Cobain was just a product of a societal impetus. Lennon WAS a societal impetus.

    For me it's not about NIrvana's music, I like some of it just fine. But if anything Kurt Cobain was the Dave Matthews of his generation, he had a pretty good band, but he was a great front man that got people to buy into what he was selling, and now he's remembered as some musical savant and apparently capable of being compared to John Lennon whcih just isn't the case IMO, and that has nothing to do with his music or talent level.
    I think your overall assessment of Cobain is from the standpoint of simply not facing the fact that he is a musical icon, the fact that he was indeed an addict is just an excuse. But who am I to judge whether or not your opinion doesn't hold any water.

    John Lennon never touched drugs, but he's still remembered as an icon, as he should be. He reached out to alot more in that time, but there wasn't much else to grab on to back then.

  18. #14
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    This isn't really about Cobain's drug use either, the debate is did he impact on a John Lennon type scale, and the answer is no.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    John Lennon was the front man for one of, if the the greatest bands of all time. Nirvana and the Beatles aren't even comparable.

    I mean, the Beatles held the top five positions on the Top 100 chart at the same freaking time. They have 20 #1 hits. They have 19 #1 albums. I can keep going and going and going and going about the accomplisments of the Beatles.

    Nirvana, while a good band, isn't anywhere near them. Not in the same discussion. Not in the same universe.

    It's not even close.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Lennon was the front man for one of, if the the greatest bands of all time. Nirvana and the Beatles aren't even comparable.

    I mean, the Beatles held the top five positions on the Top 100 chart at the same freaking time. They have 20 #1 hits. They have 19 #1 albums. I can keep going and going and going and going about the accomplisments of the Beatles.

    Nirvana, while a good band, isn't anywhere near them. Not in the same discussion. Not in the same universe.

    It's not even close.
    That's where you're wrong. Who are you to say? Nirvana was the #1 band in the rock world overnight with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's one hell of a statement.

    Believe me when I say, I have a very strong amount of respect for the Beatles, I do. But there wasn't as much competition at that time in music, and I'm not saying if there was that the Beatles wouldn't be as iconic and popular as they are.

    You're simply just not researching what Nirvana did.

    Typical person that knows of Nirvana (Kurt Cobain): A messed up dude who was a hardcore drug addict and got famous. Then spent more money on drugs and killed himself because he's weird.

    This is simply a Beatles person trying to not give any recognition to a band that deserves a hell of alot more than what you're giving, as well as 90% of non grunge, scene, rock fans.

  22. #17
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't really about Cobain's drug use either, the debate is did he impact on a John Lennon type scale, and the answer is no.
    Over time, absolutely. Look how famous he is now.

    Kurt is remembered by most people for the wrong reasons. That fact that he was a heavy drug user and he killed himself. Almost everyone never put the brilliant music he wrote on the table. Lyrically, he songs had hidden meanings, and powerful ones at that. He wasn't that most talented musician, but his talent to write catchy licks was above and beyond.

    Do you even know that Kurt was die hard Beatles fan? Listen to the song "About A Girl" and tell me who it sounds like.

  23. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's where you're wrong. Who are you to say? Nirvana was the #1 band in the rock world overnight with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's one hell of a statement.

    Believe me when I say, I have a very strong amount of respect for the Beatles, I do. But there wasn't as much competition at that time in music, and I'm not saying if there was that the Beatles wouldn't be as iconic and popular as they are.

    You're simply just not researching what Nirvana did.

    Typical person that knows of Nirvana (Kurt Cobain): A messed up dude who was a hardcore drug addict and got famous. Then spent more money on drugs and killed himself because he's weird.

    This is simply a Beatles person trying to not give any recognition to a band that deserves a hell of alot more than what you're giving, as well as 90% of non grunge, scene, rock fans.
    So one #1 song can overshawdow 20 #1 hits. That's good to know.

    I know exactly what Nirvana did. I listen to their music, I remember the mid 90's.

    What you're failing to do is recognize the historical heirarchy, and Nirvana isn't anywhere near the top.

    One freaking song, one album, doesn't trump 20+ years of being THE band. You can argue Nirvana would have destroyed the Beatles, Kurt wouldn't have died. I don't agree with it, but I could atleast understand the argument.

    But Nirvana's limited body of work isn't anywhere near the discussion.

    RollingStone ranked Nirvana 30th. They ranked The Beatles #1.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-time-19691231

    VH1 ranked Nirvana 14th. Beatles #1.
    http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-...all-time/list/
    Last edited by Since86; 07-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.

  24. #19
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,517

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Just for clarity's sake let's not forget John Lennon might've done a drug or two in his day.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Let's put it this way, if the Beatles don't exist, Nirvana doesn't exist, modern rock doesn't exist, music as we know it would be fundamentally changed FOREVER. Nirvana wasn't even the biggest music movement of the decade or the biggest death of an artist of that decade. That was the rap movement and the biggest musical death of that decade was Tupac. Nirvana was a good band. I liked them. They were not international superstars. They did not define a generation. They did none of these things, they maybe defined grunge music which does pale in comparison to what Lennon and the Beatles did. 40 years later you can throw on a song by the Beatles and everyone knows it. You can maybe do that with one song from Nirvana RIGHT NOW and it's only 20 years later.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-29-2011 at 04:19 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. #21
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for clarity's sake let's not forget John Lennon might've done a drug or two in his day.
    This is not about John Lennon's drug habit vs. Kurt Cobain's drug habit.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  28. #22
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So one #1 song can overshawdow 20 #1 hits. That's good to know.

    I know exactly what Nirvana did. I listen to their music, I remember the mid 90's.

    What you're failing to do is recognize the historical heirarchy, and Nirvana isn't anywhere near the top.

    One freaking song, one album, doesn't trump 20+ years of being THE band. You can argue Nirvana would have destroyed the Beatles, Kurt wouldn't have died. I don't agree with it, but I could atleast understand the argument.

    But Nirvana's limited body of work isn't anywhere near the discussion.

    RollingStone ranked Nirvana 30th. They ranked The Beatles #1.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-time-19691231

    VH1 ranked Nirvana 14th. Beatles #1.
    http://stereogum.com/495331/vh1-100-...all-time/list/
    Imagine Nirvana being around for as long as the Beatles. The work they could have done. Look what they did with 3 years. And it wasn't just one album, that ridiculous. I know you have to be talking about "Nevermind". Shall I point it out?

    In Utero Hits:
    1. Heart-Shaped Box
    2. Rape Me
    3. Dumb
    4. Pennyroyal Tea
    5. All Apologies

    Incesticide
    1. Sliver
    2. Been A Son
    3. Son of A Gun
    --------------------

    I have not claiming that Nirvana is better than the Beatles by any means, but look what Nirvana achieved with 3 years, think with what they could have done with the same tenure the Beatles. You just simply can't say they aren't even close.

  29. #23
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's put it this way, if the Beatles don't exist, Nirvana doesn't exist, modern rock doesn't exist, music as we know it would be fundamentally changed FOREVER. Nirvana wasn't even the biggest music movement of the decade or the biggest death of an artist of that decade. That was the rap movement and the biggest musical death of that decade was Tupac.
    The Beatles wouldn't exist if Johnny Cash and Elvis didn't exist.

  30. #24
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    BTW you want to have some fun, go to wikipedia, type in beatles. What is the first page that comes up?

    Go to wikipedia, type in nirvana, what is this first page that comes up?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  31. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,501

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Amy Winehouse has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine Nirvana being around for as long as the Beatles. The work they could have done. Look what they did with 3 years. And it wasn't just one album, that ridiculous. I know you have to be talking about "Nevermind". Shall I point it out?

    In Utero Hits:
    1. Heart-Shaped Box
    2. Rape Me
    3. Dumb
    4. Pennyroyal Tea
    5. All Apologies

    Incesticide
    1. Sliver
    2. Been A Son
    3. Son of A Gun
    --------------------

    I have not claiming that Nirvana is better than the Beatles by any means, but look what Nirvana achieved with 3 years, think with what they could have done with the same tenure the Beatles. You just simply can't say they aren't even close.
    Nirvana was an active band from 1987-1994 FYI

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 436
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
  2. The Real World Champion
    By mmpfm1 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
  3. Steve Nash to report on the World Cup
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
  5. music at Pacers games - suggestions? - extra stuff
    By 3ptmiller in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •