Thread: Jalen Rose Sentences to 20 Days in Jail for Drunk Driving

Default Jalen Rose Sentences to 20 Days in Jail for Drunk Driving

Default Re: Jalen Rose Sentences to 20 Days in Jail for Drunk Driving

Former Pacers guard Jalen Rose...
    Thank you Jeff.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I am in no way shape or form saying drunk driving is not serious, but either is this judge. Jalen has been a prime exmple of someone who had a very difficult upbringing but has made not only a solid citizen, but given to others time and time again

The fact that he didnt hurt anyone, he was barely over the limit and had no prior dui conviction makes it ludicris what this judge did

shame on her
    Sittin on top of the world!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am in no way shape or form saying drunk driving is not serious, but either is this judge. Jalen has been a prime exmple of someone who had a very difficult upbringing but has made not only a solid citizen, but given to others time and time again

The fact that he didnt hurt anyone, he was barely over the limit and had no prior dui conviction makes it ludicris what this judge did

shame on her
    I agree, most people get off with community service and probation and lose their license. The idea that he has to serve time for this is ludicrous.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

Jalen may have chose to do his time and get the case over with. Why do a year probation, pay fees (alchol classes/drug test) if you can just serve a few days and be done with the situation.

I know he didnt get convicted in Indiana but a person can serve 5 months of 6 months of probation violate for a failed drug test & get hit with all their back up time. PROBATION is the Biggest Money Racket in INDIANA!!!!

shame on her
    Depends on the rules of the state. I don't know where this happened, but some states require automatic jail time for a DUI (Arizona definitely does)..even if it's the first time.

Shockingly, I disagree with you. A DUI is a DUI, you could kill someone. It's so incredibly stupid and selfish, that I don't think jail time is too harsh. I think people learn from their mistakes if they pay for their mistakes. And I felt this way when one of my favorite players of all time (Taurasi) got a DUI as well.

^^No, this judge sentences every first time offender to week(s) in jail for DUI...
    (except one time when a second-offender's sister was a friend...ahem.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Shockingly, I disagree with you. A DUI is a DUI, you could kill someone. It's so incredibly stupid and selfish, that I don't think jail time is too harsh. I think people learn from their mistakes if they pay for their mistakes. And I felt this way when one of my favorite players of all time (Taurasi) got a DUI as well.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to mount a pro-DUI argument here but.....

The law used to be .1 in order to be a DUI. Did more/better research come out and show that the difference between the levels is so great that the laws needed to be changed for safety purposes? Or was the law changed to try and grab more revenue from it?

Honestly, I don't know the answer. But I bet money had alteast a small part in the decision making.

Also, I haven't read the article, so Jalen might have tested out at 0.11 anyways, which renders the argument moot. I'm just providing a different way at looking at the situation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

The law used to be .1 in order to be a DUI. Did more/better research come out and show that the difference between the levels is so great that the laws needed to be changed for safety purposes? Or was the law changed to try and grab more revenue from it?

Honestly, I don't know the answer. But I bet money had alteast a small part in the decision making.

Also, I haven't read the article, so Jalen might have tested out at 0.11 anyways, which renders the argument moot. I'm just providing a different way at looking at the situation.
    The .08 alcohol limit has always seemed a bit strange to me. Seems a bit arbitrary and can change from person to person. I'm pretty sure you can drink a few beers after work and be right at the legal limit.

That said, that's the rule of the land and I'll never understand rich athletes that don't just get someone to drive them where they're going.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Depends on the rules of the state. I don't know where this happened, but some states require automatic jail time for a DUI (Arizona definitely does)..even if it's the first time.

no worries

Yes Arizona is rediculous with their law. I heard a lawyer wass arrested for DUI after having literally 1 glass of wine (I realize he could be lying but he seemed adamt and took the case to higher courts) Sherrif Joe Arpario is a complete wack job and one of the most blatant abusers of power I have ever seen

Arpaio promotes himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff."[1][2] He is well known for his outspoken stance against illegal immigration.[3] Arpaio has become a flashpoint for controversy surrounding Arizona's SB1070 anti-illegal immigration act.[4]

Arpaio is currently the subject of FBI,[5] United States Department of Justice,[6] and Federal Grand Jury[7] investigations for civil rights violations and abuse of power, and is the defendant in a federal class-action suit for racial profiling.[8]

Arpaio has become controversial for aggressive publicity-seeking,[9] retaliation against political enemies,[10] abuse of power,[11] civil rights violations,[12] and financial mismanagement
    In 2008 a federal grand jury began an inquiry of Arpaio for abuse of power, in connection with an FBI investigation.[68][69] Arpaio is being investigated for politically motivated and "bogus" prosecutions, which a former US Attorney called "utterly unacceptable".[68][69] Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon has called Arpaio's "long list" of questionable prosecutions "a reign of terror".[69]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Authorities say Rose had an 0.088 percent blood-alcohol content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Mood

From ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/68...runken-driving
    Jalen Rose to do jail time for DUI
    ESPN.com news services

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. -- Jalen Rose was sentenced Wednesday to 20 days in jail for a March drunken-driving crash near Detroit, despite a recommendation that the ESPN analyst and former NBA player not serve jail time and the public support of several prominent figures, including Detroit's mayor.
    When he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in May, Rose told the judge he drank six martinis before crashing his SUV along a snowy road in West Bloomfield Township. He apologized in a brief statement after Wednesday's hearing.
    "I'm humbled, I'm embarrassed, and I'm very apologetic. I can assure everyone that nothing like this will ever happen again," he said.

One of his attorneys, Keith Davidson, wasn't so contrite, railing against the sentence handed down by 48th District Court Judge Kimberly Small.
    "This was nothing less than an elected judge legislating from the bench," Davidson said. "This is a man who has given millions of dollars to charity, started schools around the world and worked endlessly for the community, yet her average sentence is 17 days, and she sentenced Mr. Rose to 20 days."
    Small, who is known for coming down hard on drunken drivers, lectured the former University of Michigan star for 15 minutes before delivering her sentence.
    "I don't think you have an alcohol problem, and I sincerely believe you when you say this will not happen again," she said. "But there are issues of punishment and deterrence. The one thing that people never want -- that they will hire expensive lawyers to avoid -- is jail time. That's why I believe it is the right punishment."

Several prominent figures, including Detroit mayor Dave Bing, wrote letters to the court asking for leniency. Rose, who is from Detroit, is opening a school that will bear his own name in Detroit.
    When another of Rose's attorneys, James Burdick, pointed out that the probation department did not recommend jail, Small wasn't having any of it.
    "The people have hired me, not my probation department," the judge replied.
    Rose's actual sentence is 92 days in jail and one year's probation, but Small suspended 72 days of the sentence. The maximum penalty for the charge is 93 days, but Rose received credit for the night he spent in jail after the crash.

ESPN released a statement Wednesday, saying "the incident was regrettable and we've dealt with it internally. Jalen has expressed remorse and we all are looking forward to putting this behind us."
    Rose is scheduled to begin serving his 20 days in jail Aug. 2, although Davidson said they might appeal before then.
    "There were two crimes committed in this case. The first was when Jalen got behind the wheel, and the second one was today," Davidson said.
    Small granted Rose the six-day delay so he could attend a birthday party for his 93-year-old grandmother this weekend.
    Rose played for six teams during his 13-year NBA career, including six years with the Indiana Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

*in my best Pwee imitation* ...

Who's the idiot, now?!!?!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

When is this judge up for re-election?

^they say no one ever loses an election for being too tough on crime, but this judge is pushing her luck...

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Unless he has some priors, this seems a bit harsh. Maybe the judge is "anti-celebrity". When I lived in Indy, I knew several people with multiple DUI's that only spent one night in jail for each arrest. And that was the night that they were arrested.

Men typically have had to have drunk at least 5 drinks in a span of two hours to have a .08 level. And I'd wager Jalen had significantly more than that, seeing as he's bigger than the average man.

The reason it's at that level is because, at that level of "drunk" a lot of people think they are fine, but they aren't. And shouldn't be driving. All 50 states have made the law .08. And I'm sorry, anyone who has had 5 drinks (at least) in two hours, shouldn't be driving. Remember, Jalen was caught because Jalen crashed his car..

That doesn't make him a bad person. It means he made a mistake. He made a really REALLY stupid and selfish decision. And yea, he gets punished for it. A year is excessive. 20 days...he'll probably be out in 3. Not really excessive. And I bet he won't do it again.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Wow, I'm a pretty open minded, forgiving and empathetic person but...

HOW THE **** DOES SOMEONE WITH THAT MUCH MONEY GET A DUI???

Seriously, I've just never understood this. Why don't you have a paid guy on standby to drive you around when you need it? Are these people that stupid? I mean you really gotta be dumb to get a dui when you could easily afford an alternative to driving yourself. What the hell is wrong with people man, I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywoode Workman View Post
    Wow, I'm a pretty open minded, forgiving and empathetic person but...

HOW THE **** DOES SOMEONE WITH THAT MUCH MONEY GET A DUI???

Seriously, I've just never understood this. Why don't you have a paid guy on standby to drive you around when you need it? Are these people that stupid? I mean you really gotta be dumb to get a dui when you could easily afford an alternative to driving yourself. What the hell is wrong with people man, I swear.
    Liquid courage bro

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Men typically have had to have drunk at least 5 drinks in a span of two hours to have a .08 level. And I'd wager Jalen had significantly more than that, seeing as he's bigger than the average man.
    Just to clarify, in the article it states Mr. Rose had consumed six martinis prior to his accident.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    Just to clarify, in the article it states Mr. Rose had consumed six martinis prior to his accident.
    As I believe I've stated before, you would think that Jalen would know that 5 is Fab, but Six is just dumb...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

For whatever reason, this judge is too biased to be handling DUI cases.

"There is no reason for a lawyer to be there because no matter how strong you advocate, regardless of the facts of your case, they're still going to jail," Hall said. "I'm not going to take a client's money when I know I can't help."
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

20 days...he'll probably be out in 3. Not really excessive. And I bet he won't do it again.
    Technically he was sentenced to 93 days (the max).
    Rose's actual sentence is 92 days in jail and one year's probation, but Small suspended 72 days of the sentence. The maximum penalty for the charge is 93 days, but Rose received credit for the night he spent in jail after the crash.
    How does this even make sense?
    Small, who is known for coming down hard on drunken drivers, lectured the former University of Michigan star for 15 minutes before delivering her sentence.
    "I don't think you have an alcohol problem, and I sincerely believe you when you say this will not happen again," she said. "But there are issues of punishment and deterrence. The one thing that people never want -- that they will hire expensive lawyers to avoid -- is jail time. That's why I believe it is the right punishment."
    She believes he doesn't have an alcohol problem and this won't happen again so he deserves a sentence higher than she normally hands out... when she normally hands out some of the harshest sentences in the country to first time offenders??
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. He shouldn't be in a jail cell at all for this.

shame on her
    Wrong. If you get behind the wheel after six drinks, you deserve jail time. It doesn't matter what his role in society is. A terrible decision is a terrible decision and the punishment fits the crime.