Thread: Stampede Blue update

Default Stampede Blue update

On a conference call to media yesterday (again, bloggers not welcome... we must smell or something), Colts general manager Chris Polian said that the current period of free agency was 'organized chaos.' On Twitter last night, owner Jim Irsay wrote:
    Tough n difficult decisions 2 b made n Coltsland..over the cap n Vet.and Rook.players 2 try to sign,not an easy puzzle 2 solve,but we will
    The news then surfaced, via Jason Cole at Yahoo! Sports, that the Colts were one of six teams trying to ink Chargers safety Eric Weddle. We also have a somewhat interesting report that Indy might try and land Donte Whitner.
    If you were hoping (as I was) that the Colts would sign Quintin Mikell or Barry Cofield, sorry. Mikell signed with the Rams and Cofield the Redskins. But, if you are a Kelvin Hayden fan, you should feel good this morning.

My friend JMV of 1070 The Fan in Indianapolis tweeted me last night and said, according to his 'sources,' that Kelvin Hayden will not be cut. Knowing this, when you see or hear Jim Irsay and Chris Polian using the salary cap as an excuse for why they can't do what they want, feel free to laugh. Hayden is, arguably, the third best corner on this roster. He's injury prone and grossly overpaid. Cutting him could free up money for a true starter at another position who can, perhaps, play more than ten games a season.

Ryan Diem, on the other hand, is as good as retired.
    Yes, it's unfortunate that the Colts did not make a run at someone like Cofield. We can juggle scenarios all we want, but the reality is that this team is not championship caliber if it is trying to sell us on the notion that a DT rotation of Daniel Muir, Fili Moala, and rookie Drake Nevis can stop the run. The Colts desperately need an upgrade at DT, and free agency is the only way to do it, aside from a major trade. Unless we see an upgrade, we can look forward to more loses like last years playoff game against the New York Jets.

Despite this, the news on the team trying to get Weddle is encouraging. The Colts, as currently constructed, are not a Super Bowl team. And if this team is not actively working to get to a Super Bowl, then perhaps that is why Peyton Manning hasn't signed the contract Jim Irsay so desperately wants him to.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/

Of all people to keep I didn't think Hayden should be one of them. Hopefully we can still resign Bullit and Johnson.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Stampede Blue update

#Bears traded 37th overall pick in 2007 to #Chargers who drafted Eric Weddle. Bears got back 2nd, 2 3rds and a 5th rd pick from SD.

#Bears turned those picks into Dan Bazuin, Garrett Wolfe, Kevin Payne, Marcus Harrison. Weddle just agreed to richest safety contract in NFL

God i hate Jerry Angelo he does **** like that every year. Eric Weddle is a hell of a player and he just traded him for **** on draft day. The Bears cant draft 4 ****.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    #Bears traded 37th overall pick in 2007 to #Chargers who drafted Eric Weddle. Bears got back 2nd, 2 3rds and a 5th rd pick from SD.

#Bears turned those picks into Dan Bazuin, Garrett Wolfe, Kevin Payne, Marcus Harrison. Weddle just agreed to richest safety contract in NFL

God i hate Jerry Angelo he does **** like that every year. Eric Weddle is a hell of a player and he just traded him for **** on draft day. The Bears cant draft 4 ****.
    You're right in the fact that Weddle is very good player.

But I would NEVER, EVER pay him that kind of contract that he just got.

Doesn't he have like 6 picks in 4 years? I like Weddle, but he shouldn't be getting that kind of money IMO.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You're right in the fact that Weddle is very good player.

But I would NEVER, EVER pay him that kind of contract that he just got.

Doesn't he have like 6 picks in 4 years? I like Weddle, but he shouldn't be getting that kind of money IMO.
    lol at picks as a measure for a safety. He got over paid a bit but he is a pro bowl caliber safety IMO and vets are gonna start getting more money now that the rookies aren't getting way over paid. Everyone said the Panthers over paid for Johnson something like 72m. But in all actuality they just gave Cam Newton's money to him. Now vets are gonna get the money instead of rookies which is great for the NFL IMO. This will likely become the norm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    lol at picks as a measure for a safety. He got over paid a bit but he is a pro bowl caliber safety IMO and vets are gonna start getting more money now that the rookies aren't getting way over paid. Everyone said the Panthers over paid for Johnson something like 72m. But in all actuality they just gave Cam Newton's money to him. Now vets are gonna get the money instead of rookies which is great for the NFL IMO. This will likely become the norm.
    Still wouldn't pay him that much.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Well if the Colts want to get back to the super bowl they are gonna need more than just keeping Bullet. You may have to over pay to get a good free agent but IMO the Colts have tons of holes to fill on their team.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Weddle's very good. Not highest paid safety in the history of the league good. That contract is ludicrous. If that's what it would've taken to get him I'm very happy we didn't chase him beyond gauging some initial interest.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Weddle's very good. Not highest paid safety in the history of the league good. That contract is ludicrous. If that's what it would've taken to get him I'm very happy we didn't chase him beyond gauging some initial interest.
    I agree i wouldnt of gave him that much either but he is a hell of a player.

The guy the Colts should target IMO is Daniel Manning he is done in Chicago he is a good fit because he can KR which was a major weakness IMO and is a decent safety. But IMO he needs to go to a 3-4 not a cover 2 so he isnt the ideal fit in Chicago or Indy

More news.. Session probably gone and Muir
    As we said back in January, Clint Session is as good as gone from the Colts roster in 2011. While he was a solid contributor for the Colts as a back-up and, eventually, starting WILL backer, the reality is the Colts cycle through WILL backers the way Charlie Sheen cycles through hookers and mountains of cocaine.
    The WILL backer spot is simply not valued by the Colts front office (see David Thornton, Cato June, Freddy Keiaho, etc.), and with the emergence of Kavell Conner last year, the writing was on the wall for Session.
    However, it seems that, like Freddy Keiaho and David Thornton, Clint might find a happy home with a division rival. According to multiple sources, including SB Nation's own Big Cat Country, the Jacksonville Jaguars are close to signing the former-5th round pick out of Pitt. Jacksonville is also negotiating with CB Chris Carr, S Dawan Landry, and have already inked linebacker Justin Durant Paul Posluszny.
    Add Session to that mix, and the Jags have a nice defense going. Meanwhile, we have Kelvin Hayden and his $9 million dollar cap hit. Yay.

Other news to pass along is the St. Louis Rams are sniffing around Daniel Muir. They are also looking into getting Brandon Mebane and Darren Sproles. I'll remind everyone that, like the Colts, the Rams are very tight against the cap due to significant money invested in Sam Bradford, Jason Smith, and Chris Long. Yet, they are still able to make deals for players like Quintin Mikell, who they signed yesterday to a four-year deal.
    If the Rams manage to get Mebane and Sproles to go with Mikell, I might just punch a dolphin or a small baby panda at the zoo.

Weddle ranked 14th in the league in tackles out of all defensive backs in the league. He had the same amount of INT's as any Colt player did last season (2). He had more PD's than any other Colt player last season (10). He also had as many STF's as any Colt player had last season (4). Plus he is only 26 years old which makes him younger than any Colts safety. I think he would of been a great addition. About the pay.....most pro athletes are overpaid as it is though I agree the Colts are better off not getting him since we still have some of our own FA's to sign.