Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 83

Thread: What was your first car?

  1. #26
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Japanese 4 cylinders are quite often better than Japanese 6 cylinders it's all in how the engine was developed and what it was developed for.

    Granted I drive a 2011 Audi S4 now, and I have a deposit down to trade it in for an RS5 next year. So I don't really have much love for American or Japanese cars

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #27
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,444

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Japanese 4 cylinders are quite often better than Japanese 6 cylinders it's all in how the engine was developed and what it was developed for.

    Granted I drive a 2011 Audi S4 now, and I have a deposit down to trade it in for an RS5 next year. So I don't really have much love for American or Japanese cars
    RS5 is an awesome car. Best looking Audi outside of the R8.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  3. #28
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    1995 Toyota Camry. Solid car. I got it when it was 9 years old and drove it for almost 6 years. Aside from routine maintenance, the only thing I ever had to fix was the radiator, IIRC. That car was bulletproof.

  4. #29
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,094

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RS5 is an awesome car. Best looking Audi outside of the R8.
    Oh ya, it sucks seeing so many around campus.

  5. #30
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh ya, it sucks seeing so many around campus.
    ?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. #31
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,094

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Because they aren't mine and I drive a 17 y.o. Taurus.

  7. #32
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    How could you be seeing a lot of RS5s and R8s around campus?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #33
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,094

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Not R8s. Have you ever been to WL? Lots of Asian kids have BMWs, Audis, Benzs, etc.

    One kid had a Nissan GT-R one year; next year he had a Maserati. It is ridiculous.

  9. #34
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point but I don't totally buy it. in 1998 Honda/Acura was getting 180HP out of a non turbocharged 2.0L 4 cylinder in the Integra Type R.

    I just think 3 gears to get to 60MPH is pretty bad for a V6.
    I'm sorry, have you driven a csvt? Cause if not you should just stfu. The car isn't made for straight line accelerating. Its made for tracks and curvy roads. That's why it does so well in auto cross. And its not a huge v6, its only 2.5 liters. The 0-60 time is the worst thing you could use to judge the csvt's speed as its not made to be a 0-60 car.

  10. #35

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    1965 Mustang fastback. 289. 4 sp. An absolute POS, but it was MY POS.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  12. #36
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not R8s. Have you ever been to WL? Lots of Asian kids have BMWs, Audis, Benzs, etc.

    One kid had a Nissan GT-R one year; next year he had a Maserati. It is ridiculous.
    The RS5 isn't sold in America yet.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #37
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,094

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    S5 whatever.

  14. #38
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,561
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?



    This is a different color version of my first car.

    1973 Olds 98 4 door with a 455 Rocket engine and a 4 barrel stock carburetor. Metallic rootbeer brown with beige vinyl seats and a brown vinyl top. Passed down to me by my parents.

    As a young man with a lead foot, I could squeal the rear tires with ease (gas prices around .75 to 1.00 then), and surprised a few people with impromptu standing start shows of brute muscle car like performance despite the car being the size of a cabin cruiser. Even won a couple of illegal county road races with it, once against a similarly aged Barracuda, and another against a Dodge Dart from a similar vintage that had once been outfitted as a police cruiser. Fun times!

    I drove a professor of mine to a presentation we were making in Detroit back in 1984, and he told me that he was amazed with the power of the car, and that I was able to handle it as if it were a small car despite its size.

    I really miss that car.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 07-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.

  15. #39
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,094

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    You could house a family of 5 in that trunk.

  16. #40
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,444

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, have you driven a csvt? Cause if not you should just stfu. The car isn't made for straight line accelerating. Its made for tracks and curvy roads. That's why it does so well in auto cross. And its not a huge v6, its only 2.5 liters. The 0-60 time is the worst thing you could use to judge the csvt's speed as its not made to be a 0-60 car.
    LOL, dude its not the time, its the amount of gears you have to row through. Just as you are getting some decent speed, your at the end of the powerband and have to shift. Honestly that would just suck the life out me in terms of driving. Honestly please answer, whats your 2nd gear get you to when you step on it.

    As far as the whole made for curves bit, what suped up compact car isn't?
    Hey sorry I struck a nerve with you.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 07-27-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  17. #41
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, dude its not the time, its the amount of gears you have to row through. Just as you are getting some decent speed, your at the end of the powerband and have to shift. Honestly that would just suck the life out me in terms of driving. Honestly please answer, whats your 2nd gear get you to when you step on it.

    As far as the whole made for curves bit, what suped up compact car isn't?
    Hey sorry I struck a nerve with you.
    Once again you make a post where you don't know what you're talking about, not surprised really.

    2nd gear gets close to 60, probably hits 55. I haven't driven it in 7 months so I cant give the exact number, but its right around there.

    Have you driven a csvt? The car doesn't bog down when you are shifting at the end of gears like you seem to think it does. It accelerates very well and loves the higher rpms. And when shifting at the limit it doesn't drop out of the power band. If you shift early, then yeah it will bog down, but that's why you don't shift early.

    If acceleration and shifting were so terrible, it wouldn't do so well in autocross. If you haven't driven one, you really shouldn't talk.

  18. #42
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,444

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once again you make a post where you don't know what you're talking about, not surprised really.

    2nd gear gets close to 60, probably hits 55. I haven't driven it in 7 months so I cant give the exact number, but its right around there.

    Have you driven a csvt? The car doesn't bog down when you are shifting at the end of gears like you seem to think it does. It accelerates very well and loves the higher rpms. And when shifting at the limit it doesn't drop out of the power band. If you shift early, then yeah it will bog down, but that's why you don't shift early.

    If acceleration and shifting were so terrible, it wouldn't do so well in autocross. If you haven't driven one, you really shouldn't talk.
    Hey i'm sure its a great car, I just don't like gearing that takes 3 gears to reach 60mph, nor do I like underpowered V6 engines. I didn't call it a crap wagon or anything. Just because I haven't driven a car does not mean I can't have an opinion about it. I don't need to drive a neon to know that a neon sucks. Just like I don't need to drive your car to know that its underpowered. I read alot about cars as they come out or if i see a special tuned version of a car out there that i've not seen before i definitely look them up to see what its all about it.

    Hey I'll give Ford's tuning team some credit for turning that crap wagon Contour into something people would actually like to drive. I don't blame you for being so protective of your cars rep though. I'd probably be the same way about my ride.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  19. #43
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,339

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    1986 Ford Escort Wagon...bought that piece of ***** for $650 as it was all I could afford at the time. Last me till my second year of college in which it completely and utterly died. Sold it to a junk yard for $75, and was glad to be rid of it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  20. #44
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,328
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    91 Ford Tempo, not the one that Vanilla Ice rapped about...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  21. #45
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey i'm sure its a great car, I just don't like gearing that takes 3 gears to reach 60mph, nor do I like underpowered V6 engines. I didn't call it a crap wagon or anything. Just because I haven't driven a car does not mean I can't have an opinion about it. I don't need to drive a neon to know that a neon sucks. Just like I don't need to drive your car to know that its underpowered. I read alot about cars as they come out or if i see a special tuned version of a car out there that i've not seen before i definitely look them up to see what its all about it.

    Hey I'll give Ford's tuning team some credit for turning that crap wagon Contour into something people would actually like to drive. I don't blame you for being so protective of your cars rep though. I'd probably be the same way about my ride.
    Sure you can make an opinion, but its completely uninformed. 60mph is such an arbitrary number and it the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

    And it wasn't underpowered, especially for 1998. It was made to compete with the BMW 3 series and Audi A4. The 3 series had a 2.8L v6 with 190hp and the same for the A4. The Contour took a smaller engine 2.5 v6 and hit 200hp.

  22. #46
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    94 Honda Civic. Bought it in 1998. Paid $2900 in cash. It was so cheap because hail damage ravaged it. I just wanted something that would get me from point A to point B without fixing it every week. It did that for many years. Awesome first car.

  23. #47

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Come on guys.

    Torque >>> RPM.

    Give me a tree stump pulling big block Chevy over a high winding 4 or 6 any day.

    Size matters.

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  25. #48
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on guys.

    Torque >>> RPM.

    Give me a tree stump pulling big block Chevy over a high winding 4 or 6 any day.

    Size matters.
    I wanted a Mustang, but mom wouldn't approve when I was 16. Its ok cause I drive my dad's all the time.

  26. #49
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure you can make an opinion, but its completely uninformed. 60mph is such an arbitrary number and it the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

    And it wasn't underpowered, especially for 1998. It was made to compete with the BMW 3 series and Audi A4. The 3 series had a 2.8L v6 with 190hp and the same for the A4. The Contour took a smaller engine 2.5 v6 and hit 200hp.
    Not completely true the Contour CSVT would have been competing with the M3 specifically and there would have been completely outclassed. Just as a regular Contour would have been against an A4 or a regular 3 series.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  28. #50
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What was your first car?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not completely true the Contour CSVT would have been competing with the M3 specifically and there would have been completely outclassed. Just as a regular Contour would have been against an A4 or a regular 3 series.
    It was not made to compete with the M3. It was for the 328 actually. You have too look at the costs of these cars too. The SVT was still a good $5-6k less than the A4 2.8 Quattro and the 328. The M3 was a good $40k, almost twice the cost of the SVT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •