Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first car?

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What was your first car?

This my first, and only, car. A 1994 Ford Taurus. My grandma bought it brand new, and only put 33k miles on it up until the point where I got it. That was before my senior year of high school, so the summer of 2008 is when I got it I think. It has 57k on it now. Has had several issues, blown head gasket, hole in the radiator, had to replace some brakes, but overall it has been pretty good to me, and never left me stranded. I love this car so much.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What was your first car?

Holy orange.

2003 Silver Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 engine

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First car was a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. Dent in the passenger side door where my sister hit it with a lawn mower...passenger door didn't open from the inside, gear shift knob was missing, replaced with a tennis ball...driver's side window only rolled down halfway...AC only worked half the time.

Since then, I've told myself, I'm enjoying what I'm driving...never again (if I can help it), will I drive a POS...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

I know, I know. Do you know how many 2nd generation Tauruses there are? Plus my favorite color is orange. I paid $700 to get it painted and don't regret it one bit.

That's a nice first car.

Mood

My first car was a 1972 Chevy Nova SS. It was midnight blue and black interior with Torque thurst 2 rims (17x8 front and 17x10 rear). It had the 402 big block engine and a four speed transmission. Great car to drive but was a beast to try to parallel park when I took my driver's test. Engine had no chrome but everything was either black or aluminum. I bought it for $1800 and regret selling it to a friend for $2000 when I went in the military.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first car was a 1972 Chevy Nova SS. It was midnight blue and black interior with Torque thurst 2 rims (17x8 front and 17x10 rear). It had the 402 big block engine and a four speed transmission. Great car to drive but was a beast to try to parallel park when I took my driver's test. Engine had no chrome but everything was either black or aluminum. I bought it for $1800 and regret selling it to a friend for $2000 when I went in the military.
    My dad had a 72 Nova SS. I loved that thing. Had it well into the 80s.

My first was a 1999 Honda Accord.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

2000 Honda Civic.

LOL, I think I got you all beat in terms of a beater.

86' Pontiac Sunbird Sedan for $800
    Broken Water pump, I could only drive it 20 minutes at a time until it overheated. I carried about 6 jugs of water in the trunk to top off the radiator.

I basically drove that thing at the age of 16 until it wouldn't start anymore, infact the thing that did it in was a broken alternator.

No interior lighting to speak of, so at night I could not tell how fast I was going. Infact I had to wait until the street lights shined into my car at just the right moment so I could catch a glimpse at the dash. This led to some very bad habit which manifested with my next car. A 92 Pontiac Grand Am with a V6 and all the bells and whistles, one owner babied by an old lady. I got looking down at the dash as a force of habit and totally rear ended somebody in the rain with in a week of owning it. Smashed the front bumper good on that. I then ruined that car with in 2 years after forgetting to change the oil a couple times. Cracked the cylinder head and coolant got into the head. Ahh to be a young and dumb teenager.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

1996 Pontiac Grand Am.

1987 Dodge Daytona.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

'65 Dodge Dart. Slant 6. 500 bucks in '73. Cranked it with the radio on low, and couldn't even hear the idle over the tunes. Drove it 'til it died. RIP.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    You win the thread.

My first car is still my current car, 1998 Ford Contour SVT. Love the car to death. Even joined a contour club and went to some shows as she is a bit rare. Here she is before the cross country trek:

She is still in PA though so I'm stuck driving dads 2000 Mustang GT and she isn't so stock:

Mood

Wow....PP, as an added bonus you'll be able to sell that ride to a local taxi company "as is" when it's time to let her go. I agree though, for a first car, that is a nice one. Hell, there's a lot of people that go through their whole life and never own a car that nice. You see people with rusted out fenders, missing bumpers, no mufflers, and different colored doors every day.

My first car that I had was an '87 Pontiac Sunbird. I drove it from the time I got my license in '93 to the time it died in '99. It had 127k on it when I got it and when she finally rolled over and died she had 221k. I sold it to a junk yard for $250, which is the automotive equivalent of taking her out back and shooting her.

Now, the first car that I bought was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner with the Coyote Duster package, so yes, that means it had the 440ci motor with the 6 pack carb. When you put your foot in it on the highway, you could watch the gas guage move. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I still had that car.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    You win the thread.

My first car is still my current car, 1998 Ford Contour SVT. Love the car to death. Even joined a contour club and went to some shows as she is a bit rare.
    Kind of reminds me of a Taurus SHO. A lot of people probably just think, 'Oh, another crappy Taurus/Contour,' but they're really pretty nice/rare cars.

I wish my car was a SHO

1990 Honda Accord. It was back when gas was in the $1.50 range, but I could put $5 total in gas and drive the entire week. Now, I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 $x$, and $5 is burnt up just by turning the damn thing on.

I would like to have a more fuel efficient car for sure. Or just cheaper gas.

1981 Ford Mustang. That was during the bad Mustang model years, plus it was handed down from my two older brothers.

Drive it for 5 years through HS and college though. Never got stranded, although there were a lot of problems. Sold it for $100 and was excited to get that

1988 Mercury Sable. No A/C but only had something like 56k on it. Drove that thing through high school, got new brakes and a couple of new tires after I blew one in a chuckhole that proceeded to disappear into thin air (seriously, I blew the tire on a COLD Friday night in January after calling a basketball game, and NEVER found the pothole. They must have filled it on a Saturday morning ) (The other tire was on Race Day 2006, I get into the car after it sat all day in a parking lot, turned the key, and BOOM!)

I leave it at home when I go to college and by the time my brother was done with it (less than 2 years later), it had radiator problems, and was driving crooked after he bent something when he put it in a ditch - the second time. I swear he intentionally destroyed it.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1992 Honda Accord. I upgraded to a 2003 Grand Prix GT a year ago. After it was all said and done, my Honda had 280,000 miles on it. It had a ton when I first got it, but I added quite a few as well.

Many good memories in my old car, but I like my new a little better.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A 67 Chevelle was my first car, back in 1980. I had a 64 Comet before it, but I don't count it, I bought and sold it before I ever got my license, so I only drove it around the block once and didn't like it to start with.

Me and my Dad redid the 67 Chevelle ourselves. It was junk when we got it. I did the body work myself and a friend painted it cheap, we rebuilt the engine, swapped out the trans and rear end ourselves. It had a hot little 283, Muncie M21 4 speed and a 12 bolt read end with 3.73 gears. I had a lot of fun in that car. Been into hot rods and street/strip cars ever since.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Kind of reminds me of a Taurus SHO. A lot of people probably just think, 'Oh, another crappy Taurus/Contour,' but they're really pretty nice/rare cars.

I wish my car was a SHO
    Yeah, not many people realize how quick the CSVT is. She is a blast to drive. She sounds so beautiful, nothing like a Duratech engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Yeah, not many people realize how quick the CSVT is. She is a blast to drive. She sounds so beautiful, nothing like a Duratech engine.
    Sorry I'm gonna have to disagree with the overall theme here. Any car that needs 3 shifts from 0-60 is not quick. Also a V6 that only puts out 200hp is lacking in power.

I don't doubt that it sounds nice and is fun to drive, but quick does not match those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Sorry I'm gonna have to disagree with the overall theme here. Any car that needs 3 shifts from 0-60 is not quick. Also a V6 that only puts out 200hp is lacking in power.

I don't doubt that it sounds nice and is fun to drive, but quick does not match those specs.
    Whoa, you have to put it in perspective. An American made V6 from 1998 that puts out 200HP is actually pretty darn good. American engines over the past 20 years are notoriously underpowered and under-tuned. They're really poorly engineered in many instances to be honest, but a 200HP V6 from 13 years ago is pretty good example of solid engineering.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Whoa, you have to put it in perspective. An American made V6 from 1998 that puts out 200HP is actually pretty darn good. American engines over the past 20 years are notoriously underpowered and under-tuned. They're really poorly engineered in many instances to be honest, but a 200HP V6 from 13 years ago is pretty good example of solid engineering.
    I see your point but I don't totally buy it. in 1998 Honda/Acura was getting 180HP out of a non turbocharged 2.0L 4 cylinder in the Integra Type R.

I just think 3 gears to get to 60MPH is pretty bad for a V6.