Thread: Contender/Pretender Vol. 28 - Toronto Raptors - Bonus: Predict the Atlantic Division

Default Contender/Pretender Vol. 28 - Toronto Raptors - Bonus: Predict the Atlantic Division

Starters:

PG: Rafer Alston
    SG: Jalen Rose
    SF: Vince Carter
    PF: Chris Bosh
    C: Loren Woods (I don't believe this)

Bench:

Rafael Araujo
    Matt Bonner
    Ousmane Cisse
    Donyell Marshall
    Roger Mason
    Jerome Moiso
    Lamond Murray
    Milt Palacio
    Morris Peterson
    Norm Richardson
    Alvin Williams

Coach: Sam Mitchell
    Here, everyone have a : on me

sweabs

Default Re: Contender/Pretender Vol. 28 - Toronto Raptors - Bonus: Predict the Atlantic Division

The Raptors will make playoffs this year.

I know that you are probably laughing about Loren Woods - but I've seen this guy play in preseason and he is all the Raptors needed - a big body to go in the middle, alter shots, get some rebounds and blocks...and that is exactly what Woods does.

Now, Bosh is playing at the 4 spot which he really does a nice job of - and this gives the Raptors guys like Donyell Marshall, Morris Peterson, Alvin Williams all off the bench for some nice depth.

One other guy on that roster - Matt Bonner - he will be a player to look out for in my opinion.

Default Re: Contender/Pretender Vol. 28 - Toronto Raptors - Bonus: Predict the Atlantic Division

Well, the EC is so pathetically weak past the top 3 spots ... er, I've said this before.

For the first time, someone other than Vince is the key to their season. I think if Bosh turns into a superstar this year they'll make the playoffs. I happen to think he'll turn into one next year and they'll just miss though if Vince starts attacking the basket again instead of doing his Allan Houston imitation that would change.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aren't they renaming this the "Pretender" division... at least for this season?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Philly will win the division with a 37-45 record, and there will be a four-way tie for second - every team with a with 36-46 record.

I agree that the Raptors' season depends on Bosh's development and agree, too, with the belief that he is a year away from stardom.

Most of the teams I don't think of as being horrible on talent as much as they are horribly mismanaged. I expect 3 to make it into the playoffs.

For the Division I'd go with Philly because they have the best coaching. I'd give consideration to Boston as well because they have the best player in Pierce. (I think Kidd will still be hobbled and discouraged by management this season).

Philly
    Boston
    NY
    Toronto
    NJ

"They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet another preseason, yet another "Loren Woods could be the next great thing at center"posting. I love it. There's a reason he never does anything in real games...........
    I'm not saying he will be the next great thing.

All I'm saying is the Raptors just needed a guy who could alter shots in the middle, get some rebounds and take the load off Bosh so he could go back to his natural position of Power Forward. Now is when you will see Bosh flourish as a player.

Raptors could be good enough to make the playoffs

Philadelphia
    New York
    Toronto
    Boston
    New Jersey
    Here, everyone have a : on me

sweabs

They will make playoffs - and this will be Bosh's year.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Yet another preseason, yet another "Loren Woods could be the next great thing at center"posting. I love it. There's a reason he never does anything in real games...........
    I'm not saying he will be the next great thing.

All I'm saying is the Raptors just needed a guy who could alter shots in the middle, get some rebounds and take the load off Bosh so he could go back to his natural position of Power Forward. Now is when you will see Bosh flourish as a player.
    And if he were that guy, he wouldn't be on his 57th team in 3 years.......
    Well, from the 3 preseason games I have watched him play thus far for the Raptors, he has altered shots, and he has gotten rebounds, and Bosh is now able to play the 4...

sweabs

btown - I know there is a big difference between preseason and regular season. I'm not saying this guy is the next Shaq - he just fills a role that the Raptors DESPERATELY needed - and basically anything would be better than their options from last year. A guy who can pick up a few rebounds and is 7'2 in the middle, and allows Bosh to score is Loren Woods - I'm sure there are other 7'2 guys out there who can pretty much do the same thing!

sweabs

I think he will see a lot more playing time on this Raptors team for one last chance to prove himself. The only other 2 options they have at the C spot are Jerome Moiso and Rafael Araujo.

I know this is very out-of-character for me to say...

Perhaps Loren Woods has grown up and is now ready to contribute in the regular season.

Anyways, wasn't he the guy that fell out of the lottery and all the way to the second round because he flunked everybody's psychology tests?

I understand rcarey's point - a "true" center, even a bad one like Jerome James, could really help a team if its best player is a natural "4" and playing out of position.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I know this is very out-of-character for me to say...

Perhaps Loren Woods has grown up and is now ready to contribute in the regular season.

Anyways, wasn't he the guy that fell out of the lottery and all the way to the second round because he flunked everybody's psychology tests?

I understand rcarey's point - a "true" center, even a bad one like Jerome James, could really help a team if its best player is a natural "4" and playing out of position.
    I don't disagree with that point, but this is just the wrong player to count on. He slipped to the 2nd round because of a back problem. Hasn't seemed to flair up in his time floundering throughout the pros. He's just counting on the wrong guy to make a difference for any team....
    I'm not sure if you were referring to me "counting" on Loren Woods to be a difference maker for the Raptors.

I'm not "counting" on anyone to help out the Raptors! I'm not a Raps fan by any means

Plus, I still think he will help them, for the sole purpose that Bosh can now play the 4. Like I said, and what Jay pointed out - stick any centre in there - they don't have to be great...but at least it allows Bosh to play the 4.
    [edit=290=1098402545][/edit]

I think he's generally agreeing with you, btown. What he's saying is that Woods is just a warm body to stick at the 5 so Bosh isn't there, not that Woods is going to DO anything at the 5.

I think they're disagreeing on the "warm body" part - I think Btown believes Bender is more durable than Loren.

Is that why. I've never been more draft shocked then that night.

Well, that and when Brad wasn't even stinking drafted. Idiots. They're all just a bunch of ****ing idiots.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Is that why. I've never been more draft shocked then that night.

Well, that and when Brad wasn't even stinking drafted. Idiots. They're all just a bunch of ****ing idiots.
    No, that isn't why. He had a rather worrisome back injury, and a total lack of ability.
    I was in Tucson for the game his senior year where he had 16, 10, and 14, so don't tell me he has a total lack of ability.

(And those 14 aren't assists, they're blocks. As in tying David Robinson for most blocks ever in a college game.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I still think he filled in the wrong ovals on the psychology test.