Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

  1. #1
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/st...50335404322817

    I was scared to death they'd settle for Woodson.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Good hire by the Pistons. I really didn't want to see them hire Frank though.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,275

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Good choice, I think.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...pistons_072011

    Pistons poised to hire Frank as coach

    By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 21 minutes ago

    Lawrence Frank has emerged as the choice to become the Detroit Pistons’ next head coach and a formal contract offer is expected within the next day, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

    Frank, an assistant with the Boston Celtics, separated his candidacy in his first meetings with management and ownership, distancing himself from contenders Mike Woodson and Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

    The Pistons organization has been deliberate in the process, talking to several candidates. But barring unforeseen snags in contract talks, Frank figures to replace John Kuester, who was fired as coach on June 5.

    Frank has benefitted from the recommendations of Philadelphia 76ers president Rod Thorn – his old boss with the New Jersey Nets – and Celtics coach Doc Rivers. Pistons general manager Joe Dumars holds both Thorn and Rivers in high regard.

    In anticipation of an offer, Frank has been working on assembling a staff over the past two weeks, league coaching sources said. Celtics assistant Roy Rogers, who was on Frank’s staff with the Nets, is the most likely to join him in Detroit.

    Frank has thought that spending the past season under Rivers helped him greatly to further cultivate the dynamics of head coach-player relationships. This promises to be an important part of the Pistons’ coaching job, especially after the breakdowns between Kuester and several players.

    Frank had a successful run over six-plus seasons as Nets coach until owner Bruce Ratner’s cost-cutting moves gutted the roster. Frank won two Atlantic Division titles and reached the playoffs in four seasons , including the Eastern Conference semifinals three times. He holds the NBA record for the best coaching start in history, winning his first 13 games after taking over for Byron Scott in the 2003-04 season.

    Frank was the runner-up in the Houston Rockets’ and Toronto Raptors’ coaching searches this offseason.

    The Pistons also interviewed Woodson, Sampson, Bill Laimbeer and Patrick Ewing.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    I've never been the least bit impressed with him. For your sake K, I hope I'm wrong.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  8. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Truth be told, I wanted Ewing. But I was far less impressed with Woodson, so this is an acceptable middle ground.

    Devin Harris looked like an all-star playing in Frank's version of the princeton offense, so that is encouraging for a similar kind of PG in Brandon Knight.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,682

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    You guys could have done much worse.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys could have done much worse.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  14. #8

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Maybe Jim O'Brien can go back to Boston as Doc's lead assistant. JK but I am curious to see who Doc gets as his lead assistant.

  15. #9
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,428

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your Action Jackson and raise a
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-21-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,630

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Good hire, but the Pistons will still suck.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Our Frank is cooler than your Frank.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,600

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good hire, but the Pistons will still suck.
    Agreed.

    The Pistons are just in one of those unfortunate situations where the team is just so bad, that no coach is going to suddenly make them better.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  22. #13
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys could have done much worse.
    Was thinking exactly the same thing. In fact maybe only Addleman or Sloan could have been a better choice
    Sittin on top of the world!

  23. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good hire, but the Pistons will still suck.
    this season, I agree.

    I think we're only one more good draft pick away from having something to really build on, though.

    If we win %25 of our games next year and he's got Stuckey, Knight, Monroe and Jerebko all clicking, so be it. That's acceptable to me.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.

  24. #15
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our Frank is cooler than your Frank.
    That's not hard. Frank Gifford is cooler.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  25. #16
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,097

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That'll preach.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  26. #17
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,116

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    No one cares this is a Pacers board not a Pistons board no one likes them they suck

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    Rejuvinated dewman_32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Age
    42
    Posts
    157
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    This was a good hire by the Pistons. Aside from Adelman, I don't think there was a better candidate out there. Yes, the Pistons have a bad lineup right now, but they are where the Pacers were 4-5 years ago.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to dewman_32 For This Useful Post:


  30. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,630

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this season, I agree.

    I think we're only one more good draft pick away from having something to really build on, though.

    If we win %25 of our games next year and he's got Stuckey, Knight, Monroe and Jerebko all clicking, so be it. That's acceptable to me.
    Yeah I actually agree. Monroe, Knight, Jerebko, and maybe Daye is a decent core.

  31. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one cares this is a Pacers board not a Pistons board no one likes them they suck
    I disagree it is a NBA board and i like hearing about the NBA and the Pistons suck about as much as the Pacers did the past few years.

  32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  33. #21
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,810

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Interesting that Frank was getting his assistants in order before being officially hired - guess that's not quite the insult some were thinking when Vogel was doing it.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  34. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting that Frank was getting his assistants in order before being officially hired - guess that's not quite the insult some were thinking when Vogel was doing it.
    like i said in another thread it is common in the NBA Byron Scott had to fire all but 1 of his assistants when he went to the CAVS.

  35. #23
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,116

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree it is a NBA board and i like hearing about the NBA and the Pistons suck about as much as the Pacers did the past few years.
    I look forward to the day that I have been here long enough to have a reputation as a sarcastic poster.

  36. #24
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I look forward to the day that I have been here long enough to have a reputation as a sarcastic poster.
    Green font helps that reputation. Well, that shirt you wear in your avatar says a lot about you having a great sense of humor as a sports fan.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Pistons will hire Lawrence Frank as their next head coach...

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting that Frank was getting his assistants in order before being officially hired - guess that's not quite the insult some were thinking when Vogel was doing it.

    Might be a new trend, I suppose

Similar Threads

  1. comments from an O'brien supporter - warning its lengthy :)
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
  2. NBA Coach Power Rankings: O'Brien 23rd
    By Hibbert in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. Report: New Jersey Nets to fire coach Lawrence Frank [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 09:10 AM
  4. Nice Article On Coach Caldwell
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
  5. Lawrence Frank to return as New Jersey Nets coach [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •