Thread: Clinton Portis, Indy is one of his options ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Clinton Portis, Indy is one of his options ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

With Clinton Portis about to turn 30 and coming off two injury-riddled seasons, it'd be fair to conclude that the running back's best days are in the rearview mirror.

Don't tell Portis that. He'll be a free agent when the NFL lockout is lifted, and he's confident he has quality football ahead of him.

"I think (age is) just a number," Portis told WTEM-AM in Washington D.C. on Friday. "You're saying I turned 30 (he'll be 30 on Sept. 1), but I had a slate of two years where I really haven't done anything. So right now, I feel good and feel better at this point than I have in a long time, just feeling like I'm completely healthy, just feeling like things are totally healed. And now that I know what I need to do and what I need to get accomplished, I'm fine with that."

Portis enjoyed several elite seasons with the Denver Broncos, who drafted him in 2002, and the Washington Redskins, who acquired him in a 2004. But the NFL grind seems to have worn on Portis, with injuries limiting him to just 13 total games in 2009 and 2010.

And while durability concerns -- one of the reasons the Redskins released Portis in February -- now are part of the package, the two-time Pro Bowl running back looks at the missed time as a blessing in a way.

"The injuries the last two years has really been a lot of rest for myself," Portis said. "And with the lockout going on this year, I had the opportunity to go out to Arizona and fully recover and train and straighten out some of the things that were ailing me that I didn't even have a clue of."

Portis has an open mind about where he'd like to play next season, though years of losing in Washington have him itching to join a contender.

"Any team I can help. I think I have choices, but any team that I can help that's really a contender," said Portis, who boasts six 1,000-yard seasons. "I would love to go to ... I've always been a fan of Drew Brees, I've been a fan of Philip Rivers, I think the young kid down in Tampa (Josh Freeman) is going to be great. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Michael Vick, it's a lot of guys.

"I just want to go to an organization that's kind of stable and going to have a set offense and running with what they're familiar with."

Should the Colts make a run for him, or is he too much of a risk like Bob Sanders was to us ?
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Default Re: Clinton Portis, Indy is one of his options ?

If the Colts decide to spend some money in free agency (other than their own) i'd much rather see them use the money on the defense.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Portis won't cost that much since there are injury concerns and he's ring chasing. I'd be willing to be bring him in for a year or two if Addai doesn't come back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

My gut says pass, but then again, I think it's tough to be worse than Brown.

I'd be okay if we were to have our 3 RB's be Addai, Portis, and Delone Carter. Or if Addai leaves I'd like to go for Deangelo Williams
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he'd be a funny guy to have around the locker room and would give interviews that weren't so damn boring. For sure id give him a chance.
    Try hard-er or Die hard-er. In this to win it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Clinton is a GREAT pass blocker, and he might be a decent 3rd down back, but can the Colts handle his ego? If he can keep it in check, then if nothing else he is a great pass blocker who can catch dump passes out of the backfield.

Of course, he also had Dan Snyder in his back pocket. If Clinton Portis did not want to practice one day, the coaches were not happy but they knew Snyder would take Portis's side 10 times out of 10.

One of the fun guys to watch in person, and definitely had a great personality. Would love to see him have a good post Washington career, just not sure his body could handle another season of serious wear and tear.

Mood

For the right price I think it would be a worthy risk.

It's not like Addai is not an injury risk at this point himself...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

However, we still need to be spending money on defense IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The defense just needs to be healthy, really. You don't need to throw a ton of money at anyone on defense, just get depth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Maybe 'throwing money' is the wrong term... but I agree with any premise that says the Colts don't need to be neglecting the defense. It should be a priority.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

A healthy defense for the Colts is still far below average.

Freeney, Mathis, Antonio Johnson, Dan Muir <--- Can't stop the run

Brackett, Session, Conner <--- Small and tends to not stop the run

Powers, Hayden (Yuck), Bethea, Bullitt (Yuck) <--- Again, nothing more than average, outside of Bethea

Don't get me wrong, we need offensive upgrades. But if we don't upgrade our defense, we'll again be in for a long season of missed tackles and getting abused in the run.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Portis is an intriguing stopgap at RB. Say what you want about the defense, but Polian hasn't seen the need to improve it since he got here, he won't start now.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Portis is an intriguing stopgap at RB. Say what you want about the defense, but Polian hasn't seen the need to improve it since he got here, he won't start now.
    That's the sad part. Polian doesn't realize how weak our defense really is. There's a few big name players on it, but for whatever reason he fails to see that our defense is far below average.

And I agree with your statement. In all likelihood, he won't fix it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's the sad part. Polian doesn't realize how weak our defense really is. There's a few big name players on it, but for whatever reason he fails to see that our defense is far below average.

And I agree with your statement. In all likelihood, he won't fix it.
    Yeah, I mean maybe my comment was a bit harsh, he did give us the book ends, Freeney and Mathis, who have been spectacular. But have we had one LB, DT, S, or CB that you could consider even somewhat better than average since Polian took control of the team? People will say Bob Sanders, but Bob Sanders was vastly overrated when he played for the Colts and even when he was healthy he frequently got lost in coverage. The next guy that comes to mind is Gary Brackett, who is a solid player, but after that I'm at a loss. You could argue Booger McFarland as well but he was only around for half a season.

I wish the Colts well and was there during the dark days, but I wish we had a team built more like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and less like a finesse team. It's hard to be picky after all the success we've had, but still.

Default Re: Clinton Portis, Indy is one of his options

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I wish the Colts well and was there during the dark days, but I wish we had a team built more like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and less like a finesse team. It's hard to be picky after all the success we've had, but still.
    I don't think it's really being picky though.

The Colts have had lots of teams that were Superbowl caliber or very close. A lot of the time defense and special teams has let them down though. Yes Peyton and the offense has had their mistakes but a lot of them would not have mattered if the defense/special teams did a little more.

The Colts went 14-2 (could have been 16-0 as we all know). What many people don't bring up is just how close those games were. 7 of the 14 wins were decided by a touchdown or less. Then last season they went 10-6. 4 of those losses were decided by a touchdown or less with one of the games going to overtime (vs the Cowboys). Of the 10 wins 5 of them were decided by a touchdown or less. A loss in the playoffs to the Jets that should have been a win.

I went on a rant there but it's frustrating to see a team that could win even more (especially in the postseason) if Polian would just upgrade the defense/special teams play.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My gut says pass, but then again, I think it's tough to be worse than Brown.

I'd be okay if we were to have our 3 RB's be Addai, Portis, and Delone Carter. Or if Addai leaves I'd like to go for Deangelo Williams
    Brown, disappeared right after he showed a spark. I would not count anybody out in the backfield. , Devin Moore may come out on top. The competition is going to be fierce for roster spots.

Id rather roll the dice on Brown one more year and go balls out for Nnamdi.

Also, I don't think Jerraud Powers is average. I think he's really good. Just battled injuries.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Bethea and Powers are both outstanding. Bethea's a proven top 5ish safety in the league, Powers played at a Pro Bowl level before his arm injury, see if he can do it again. Still, without someone having a come out of nowhere breakout (I'm looking at you Kavell Conner), our defense is going to be pretty bad, in the bottom 3rd of the league if not lower. Who knows, maybe Hayden'll earn his contract, if he doesn't get cut.

The window's closing fast, and it's not just Peyton getting older. Freeney, Mathis, Wayne, Saturday, Brackett, Clark, basically every big name on the team is north of 30 and some of them are fading fast or really aren't that great in the first place. Collie's really the only legitimate replacement for any of those positions and obviously he has the concussion problems, maybe Tamme I guess but similar production to Clark doesn't mean he gave the same impact. We've GOT to spend money on FAs, we don't have the time to wait and hope we stole someone in the draft. Bring in an Eric Weddle or Quitin Mikell, I'd be cool with Portis on a cheap 1 year deal if Addai's gone. A big DT like Brandon Mebane or Barry Coefield.

As constructed, I just honestly don't think the team's that good. Put us in a division other than the South and I think we'd struggle to make the playoffs, we already did last year.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-21-2011 at 01:42 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: