Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amir Johnson. Another option at Power Forward?

Default Amir Johnson. Another option at Power Forward?

Johnson is slightly overpaid, but is young, can rebound and block shots. The Raptors have his frontcourt of the future with Ed Davis and Valanciunas (Bargnani as a SF, or big from the bench). Can we trade for Johnson? Surely the Raptors want flexibility now.

Here his stats: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2769/amir-johnson

I prefer him than overpay for older players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Amir Johnson. Another option at Power Forward?

Don't know much about him, but from his stats he looks like a very efficient player. I like the BPG and SPG for how many minutes he plays, but would like a few more RPG from a player that would be in contention for our starting PF. I, like most posters around here, would like to have a defensive minded PF who also snags a lot of rebounds, so if Amir fits that bill then I would be more than happy to welcome him here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I would say it's not likely that Bargs would be able to slide to the 3 and he likely is paid too much and is too talented to have a bench role, so he's probably going to get moved. That might mean that Johnson isn't available anymore as well.

Isn't there some kind of bad rap about Amir's inability to stay out of foul trouble? From what I've seen from him is is a good defensive player and rebounder, but I'd be kind of concerned about paying a guy that much money if he's going to have trouble staying on the floor. If we're envisioning him as our third big, or at least in a timeshare at the 4 with Tyler, then I'd be okay with it if we were responsible with the rest of our cap space, but if this was the big move we make without any other major changes to the roster I would be a little underwhelmed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Mood

No thanks. He is not much, if at all, better than Tyler or Josh. His contract is also pretty ugly IMO.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I'd prefer Ed Davis since he can also spell Hibbert at the 5, but its probably not possible. Can anyone who watches the Raptors give some insight on Amir?

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No thanks. He is not much, if at all, better than Tyler or Josh. His contract is also pretty ugly IMO.
    He's a diferent kind of player. Not a shooter or a versatile player in the offense. Nonetheless, he is a much better defender, rebounder and shotblocker.

He would fit in nice here, but he is not available. Much much better rebounder and defender than David West. Reasonable contract for a defensive presence too. Could he be had for cap space - Posey? Probably going to require the 1st rd pick. He is interesting to look into if the price is right!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Well I would say it's not likely that Bargs would be able to slide to the 3 and he likely is paid too much and is too talented to have a bench role, so he's probably going to get moved. That might mean that Johnson isn't available anymore as well.
    Bargnani's contract is gonna be more difficult to move. I like to think of Johnson in a Gibson like role for us. A defensive minded power forward, some fouls and some toughness.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I keep finding myself going back to Dalembert.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I'd prefer Ed Davis since he can also spell Hibbert at the 5, but its probably not possible. Can anyone who watches the Raptors give some insight on Amir?
    I am not sure I would give a 1st rd pick for Amir. Not saying I wouldnt, I just dont know enough about him. However, I WOULD give the pick up for Davis. He would be a great addition and could backup both Tyler and Roy. He rebounds and blocks shots too!
    Add George Hill and Ed Davis to this core and we could have a really strong team for years to come!!!!

I wouldn't call Amir Johnson a good defender. When watching Raptors game, I've never ever thought "Amir Johnson would improve our defence". He has the tools on paper and he blocks a shot once in a while, that's it. And he's not cheap. And he has some pretty dunks. I'd rather stay with Tyler if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I am not sure I would give a 1st rd pick for Amir. Not saying I wouldnt, I just dont know enough about him. However, I WOULD give the pick up for Davis. He would be a great addition and could backup both Tyler and Roy. He rebounds and blocks shots too!
    Add George Hill and Ed Davis to this core and we could have a really strong team for years to come!!!!
    I tend to agree. Keeping in mind that next year's draft will be very deep our pick is worth a fair bit even if we're picking in the low 20s. There should be a number of guys available at those slots that can help immediately: Mason Plumlee, John Henson (He's supposedly up to 220 lbs), Tyler Zeller, CJ Leslie should all be there, and depending on how their season goes, Sullinger, Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, James McAdoo, and Andre Drummond might be around if we're picking closer to 15. I think Davis is worth it, but I don't know enough about Amir to hold a useful opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    I wouldn't call Amir Johnson a good defender. When watching Raptors game, I've never ever thought "Amir Johnson would improve our defence". He has the tools on paper and he blocks a shot once in a while, that's it. And he's not cheap. And he has some pretty dunks. I'd rather stay with Tyler if it comes to that.
    I dont think anyone on here was suggesting he would replace Tyler. I think the feeling is he would be a good backup. So the better question is: Is he an improvement over McBob? It seems like the answer would be yes, but I dont know enough about him!

I dont think anyone on here was suggesting he would replace Tyler. I think the feeling is he would be a good backup. So the better question is: Is he an improvement over McBob? It seems like the answer would be yes, but I dont know enough about him!
    I'd be bummed out if we spent 6-7 mil each year on Tyler's backup. Why not add 3 mil and get a quality starter, and have Tyler as the backup?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

I'd be bummed out if we spent 6-7 mil each year on Tyler's backup. Why not add 3 mil and get a quality starter, and have Tyler as the backup?
    Find a shot blocking, defensive presence type of big man out there for 9-10 mill then! I dont see one out there. Hey, I am a big fan of Tyler but get a defensive, shot blocking presence in the post and I am game!

With all the cap room, I would not be bummed at all with Johnson. Every good team has quality reserves - Jason Terry!!!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Find a shot blocking, defensive presence type of big man out there for 9-10 mill then! I dont see one out there. Hey, I am a big fan of Tyler but get a defensive, shot blocking presence in the post and I am game!

With all the cap room, I would not be bummed at all with Johnson. Every good team has quality reserves - Jason Terry!!!!
    I understand the logic but... you are talking about Amir Johnson. He's not a defensive presence.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I actually like Amir, but not enough to think he's worth his current contract.

Positives: still young at 24, quick, very athletic, shotblocking ability

Negatives: still horribly undeveloped after 5 years in the league, lacks strength, fouls too much, generally low bball IQ

In short, he's too much of a project player for a guy who's paid to be a contributor. I think we should pass.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I understand the logic but... you are talking about Amir Johnson. He's not a defensive presence.
    I honestly dont know much about the player. I do know that if his minutes were extended out to a typical starters he would average almost 10 boards and 1.5 blocks per game. He sounds a lot like Taj Gibson of the Bulls.
    I am not advocating him, I am open to learning more about him. People do tend to over-value other teams' players on this board while being to critical of their own!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I actually like Amir, but not enough to think he's worth his current contract.

Positives: still young at 24, quick, very athletic, shotblocking ability

Negatives: still horribly undeveloped after 5 years in the league, lacks strength, fouls too much, generally low bball IQ

In short, he's too much of a project player for a guy who's paid to be a contributor. I think we should pass.
    Let me ask all you you who are not in favor of Amir: Would you McBob for him? That is essentially what would happen. And he is only making 6mill. McBob could get close to that. Maybe a little under.

I honestly dont know much about the player. I do know that if his minutes were extended out to a typical starters he would average almost 10 boards and 1.5 blocks per game. He sounds a lot like Taj Gibson of the Bulls.
    On paper. But Gibson is not just a shot blocker. He's an overall quality defender. Amir Johnson is an athletic specimen who will block some shots. And not that many shots.
    Think Birdman-lite.

On paper. But Gibson is not just a shot blocker. He's an overall quality defender. Amir Johnson is an athletic specimen who will block some shots. And not that many shots.
    Think Birdman-lite.
    I would love to send Rush and a 1st for Gibson!

I would love to send Rush and a 1st for Gibson!
    Not a 2012 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    Not a 2012 1st.
    With the addition of Gibson and Hill along with the development of the core, that 2012 1st wouldnt be that good. Early 20's best. Very little chance a player selected that low will ever amount to anything. Even in a strong draft.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With the addition of Gibson and Hill along with the development of the core, that 2012 1st wouldnt be that good. Early 20's best. Very little chance a player selected that low will ever amount to anything. Even in a strong draft.
    no way you trade a 2012 pick for a guy you are gonna have to over pay next year.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: