Thread: Does Pacers future Lie in the Hands of Paul George and Roy Hibbert?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Does Pacers future Lie in the Hands of Paul George and Roy Hibbert?

Cain in New Zealand:
    As a Pacers fan I feel our future lies mainly with Paul George and Roy Hibbert as building blocks. Can a team built around them be a title contender?

Joel Brigham:
    If any players on this roster are ever going to be All-Stars, those are the two players with the best opportunities. I think we all know at this point that George is one of my favorite young guys in the league from a personal standpoint, and nobody is rooting harder for him to succeed than me, but the hype of him as some huge star... I just haven't seen the flash quite yet. Not saying he won't get there, just that I haven't seen it yet.

It's kind of the same thing for Hibbert. There are maybe two players in the league taller than him, and there are few guys in the league over 7-feet-tall that have his talent on both ends of the floor. I'm not sure what he's missing, but there's something just not clicking there yet. Again, would love to see it, but I don't know.

I still think signing David West and maybe Jamal Crawford would make Indiana one of the toughest teams in the conference. I really do. Collison's going to have a much better year, Hansbrough showed his flashes after the coaching change, and George Hill is a fantastic addition. With West and Crawford they've got playoff experience and All-Star level veteran help. I'm hoping those are signings they're able to pull off.

From there, yeah, George, Hibbert, Hill, Collison, Hansbrough... that's a core for the next eight years. Throw in West and Crawford for the first four of those eight, and you've got yourself something really, really interesting. And all of this without saying anything of Danny Granger... Looking forward to covering some more Pacers games next season, for sure...

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?c...#ixzz1S70WytME
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Does Pacers future Lie in the Hands of Paul George and Roy Hibbert?

I dont know if this dude from hoops world watch's every pacer game like I do or most of us do on this board but I've definitely have seen "flashes" of George last year that makes me believe he'll be a star very soon in this league.

But ya I dont no how good Crawford would fit into are system seeing how we got a 6th man already, named Hill.

As far as Hibbert goes, I certainly think he will be one of the best centers in this league. With his work ethic, just give it time. Most big men take atleast 3 to 4 years to unfold. I see him as a star in the years to come.
    Try hard-er or Die hard-er. In this to win it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bury Your Dead For This Useful Post:

Hibbert either dominates a game or does nothing. He gets in his head to much. I remember watching him in a game against Detriot last season and he was unstoppable in that game because he knew no one was big enough to guard him.

Definitely agree with the poster above about George.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Now I don't know how our lineups would look, but just throwing an idea out there, this lineup next year would make us a good team:

Starters

PG - Collison
    SG - Crawford
    SF - Granger
    PF - West
    C - Hibbert

Bench:

PG - Stephenson
    SG - Hill
    SF - George
    PF - Hans
    C - Stanko
    11th man - Foster
    12th man - D. Jones

You can call me crazy, but that's a lineup that can win games. I truly believe that. Yes Lance is an unknown still, and I don't even know about Stanko coming over/how he'd adjust, but that's a good looking lineup to me.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now I don't know how our lineups would look, but just throwing an idea out there, this lineup next year would make us a good team:

Starters

PG - Collison
    SG - Crawford
    SF - Granger
    PF - West
    C - Hibbert

Bench:

PG - Stephenson
    SG - Hill
    SF - George
    PF - Hans
    C - Stanko
    11th man - Foster
    12th man - D. Jones

You can call me crazy, but that's a lineup that can win games. I truly believe that. Yes Lance is an unknown still, and I don't even know about Stanko coming over/how he'd adjust, but that's a good looking lineup to me.
    I still think that we can possibly catch DeAndre Jordan, who I think would be the perfect/last puzzle piece to this roster, and a better replacement for Stanko and Foster. I still think that this specific roster change in itself may be achievable with the trade of Granger. I think this lineup would be great to have, but Granger will have to get lost for it to happen.

However, with Paul George and Granger in their starting positions now, I think it would be better for George Hill to be the first guard off the bench (backing up DC or George equally), and for Crawford to be the first wing off the bench (backing up Granger primarily and George second). I would still much rather have Lancelot pan out and be a superguard and not need Crawford, but he's one of the few available free agents/veterans who I'd want on the team.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

i fully agree that Collison is going to be awesome this year. hes gonna leap a few pg's in the power rankings for sure.

I think the future of the Pacers lies squarely on Larry Bird shoulders, not any current players on the roster. The brass has tons of money and more decisions on their hands than ever. Its going to take two years before the onus is on the players.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As of right now with our current outlook on this team's future, they largely affect what the Pacers do in the next 5-10 years or so.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joeco View Post
    i fully agree that Collison is going to be awesome this year. hes gonna leap a few pg's in the power rankings for sure.

I think the future of the Pacers lies squarely on Larry Bird shoulders, not any current players on the roster. The brass has tons of money and more decisions on their hands than ever. Its going to take two years before the onus is on the players.
    Larry did retire right? I mean the players do play the game. It rests on the players coaches and FO.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Larry did retire right? I mean the players do play the game. It rests on the players coaches and FO.
    Im not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, franchises are ran by players, coaches, and fo's. ok.

All Im saying is in regards to original post that the shot callers here have so many decisions ahead of them in so little time that the future is in their hands, even more so than some potential "allstars" on the current roster.

Does the pacers future depend on their young players?

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Hibbert either dominates a game or does nothing. He gets in his head to much.

From Karl in Slingblade:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117666/quotes

"he lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in. You take good care of that boy."

no one is pulling more for Paul George then me... Paul George
    I'm a Beast

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think the OP is pretty honest and realistic, even though you are a big fan of both players. I probably share your exact views.

Personally, I have reached the point of not seeing Hibbert as an All-Star or a key player in playoff wins. He doesn't seem to have the mental toughness. I think his ceiling is something like Ilgouskas—good and a contributor but no star. I think he likely sits in the last three minutes of games. Unless he shows me something different soon, I don't see him reaching Smits's level.

Paul George has all the potential to be great. But the biggest factor is between the ears, not shooting ability or wingspan or vertical leap. Just not enough data yet to know how good he will be. Although the fan in me has seen glimpses—nice plays at the end of quarters and a real clutch drive and sinking two clutch free throws at the end of one of our recent playoff games.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

19. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by joeco View Post

I think the future comes down to a few things:

1.) The coaching. IMO, this has really been lacking the last few years, and I am excited as all get out about the new coaching set-up. I believe the Vogel and Shaw will translate into an extra 5 wins easy with no change of any personnal over Jim. Also, I think it will create a better locker room and increase the player growth.

2.) What to do with cap space. This has to be really well managed. At first I thought the lockout could be a killer for the Pacers, but now I'm thinking it could work in our favor, especially with a very strong 2012 draft. Question though, if we're locked out all year, what happens with next year's draft, including draft order?

3.) Players really working hard when locked out. Now is the time for Hibbert, Geoge, Lance, DC etc... to really work on fundamentals of their game.

4.) Luck. Say what you want, in professional sports a lot of moves are a gamble, and you need some luck that things will work out, injuries won't derail a season, players will mature and find focus etc...
    Danger Zone

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    2.) What to do with cap space. This has to be really well managed. At first I thought the lockout could be a killer for the Pacers, but now I'm thinking it could work in our favor, especially with a very strong 2012 draft. Question though, if we're locked out all year, what happens with next year's draft, including draft order?

Good question, which has been discussed several times on hoopsworld

If the lockout causes a missed seasson, they will have to comprise some type of lottery system where all teams get an equal shot in the draft. It would be unfair to just keep the draft order form last year and gift wrap the number 1 pick to the cavs
    Last edited by 90'sNBARocked; 07-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we're still locked out come draft time, I don't believe there would be a draft at all, right?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    If we're still locked out come draft time, I don't believe there would be a draft at all, right?
    there is always a draft yes there would be a draft regardless of lockout. That wouldn't be fair for college players if there want.

i read somewhere that if we are still locked out by the next draft then it will be like the lottery but everyone has the same chance to win.... and knowing the system the heat lakers or knicks will get the 1st pick and the pacers will get in the late 20's

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post: