Thread: Bruno's QotD > Should Jackson be Starting?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bruno's QotD > Should Jackson be Starting?

Should Jackson be Starting?

Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conrad Brunner

Q. I'm sure my question is much easier to ask than it is to answer, but it really is the question on nearly every Pacers fan's mind in my neck of the woods (there are so few of us in L.A.), so here goes:

The triple offensive threat of (Jermaine) O'Neal, (Ron) Artest and (Stephen) Jackson all on the floor at the same time is an exciting proposition for any Pacers fan. Based on their performances so far in camp and in the first few preseason games, will Jackson be seriously considered to replace (Reggie) Miller in the starting lineup?

While I'm at it, here's a follow up: Would a reduction in Miller's role on the floor hurt his role as a team leader, and therefore hurt the team's chemistry? (From Kent in Venice, CA)

A. The more Pacers fans see of Stephen Jackson, the more this question comes up. It seems the newest acquisition has opened quite a few eyes as to his all-around abilities. It was fairly well known that Jackson was a solid threat from the perimeter and off the dribble, but even Coach Rick Carlisle has been surprised by his ability to get things done from the low post. That doesn't mean, however, the team would be better off with Jackson starting and Miller coming off the bench.

With the second unit, Jackson is the go-to guy. The offense can run through him, which in fact offers him more scoring opportunities than he'd likely get with the first unit, which runs through O'Neal and Artest. In Tuesday night's game, for example, Jackson took over in the second half after O'Neal had left the game with a back injury, and when it was obvious Artest was struggling.

As the team is presently constructed, chemistry would be best served by the status quo. Miller has been a starter for 16 seasons. It's a role he has earned and in which he is the most comfortable and productive. Jackson is perfectly willing to come off the bench. He's done it before and done it well. It's also important to understand that, though O'Neal, Artest and Jackson aren't on the floor together at the start of a game, that doesn't mean they won't be on the floor together at the finish, as needed. If Miller is happy, Jackson is happy and the team is thriving, there is no need to fix what isn't broken.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bruno's QotD > Should Jackson be Starting?

Does this mean Bruno is suggesting that Reggie be 'on the bench' at the finish?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well, his assessment is pretty similar to mine. Except for the end of the game part...

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The more I think about it , I think Jackson is a better option off the bench , really isn't going to hurt if Reggie Starts

This is all just happy talk that we use in Pacerland whenever we have somebody who should start but for some sentimental reason we won't.

Whether it's Al Harrington, Jalen Rose (way back in the day) or now Jackson. It's just another in the long list of excuses.

Soon someone on here will bring out the old tired cliche of "it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes".

It's pure & simple B.S.

Stephen Jackson is our best shooting guard. He should be our starter.

Any reason for not starting will be countered with "if it doesn't matter who starts or we need his offensive punch off of the bench then O'Neal would be a lock for 6th man of the year.

It's simple, people will not let Reggie Miller go. That's fine btw, but let's just be honest about it.

If you think that Jackson would be a detriment because he & Artest couldn't fit together on offense then may I suggest that Artest come off of the bench.

I bet that idea doesn't go over well with a couple of you. But your own ideas will be used against you. He would be the go to guy off of the bench, which should thrill him to no end. He could finish games.

But how much you wanna bet that idea is not going to fly with some people?

If we just wanna say Reggie should get a legacy start then let's just say that. Let's not try & fool people into thinking that he actually deserves to start based on today's production.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

I would imagine that we will see a finishing lineup depending on the situation.

Situation A: (need a three and defend)

Tins
    Miller
    Jax
    Artest
    Oneal

Situation B: (need to rebound and defend.)

Tins
    Jax
    Artest
    Oneal
    Foster

Situation C: (Need a rebound and a three)

Tins
    Miller
    Jax
    Oneal
    Foster

Situation D: (blowout win)

F.Jones
    J.Jones
    Cro
    Pollard
    Harrison

Situation E: (winning big but still need to rebound the ball well so that the win does not go away)

Johnson
    J.Jones
    Artest
    Cro
    Foster

I really hope we win the championship this year. If Reggie hangs 'em up, then next year Jackson can start and Freddy can be the backup.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!