Thread: Prediciting Free Agency

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Prediciting Free Agency

First the standard caveat this summer - lockout, unknown rules, all that . . .

A hard cap might change the system dramatically but it also appears to be a position the NBA Players Union won't accept.

Assuming the owners and players eventually agree on how to split up the pie before losing a season, at some point the enjoyable off-court part of the NBA will resume (free agency, trades, etc.)

Last week's report on trade targets (On The Block: Who Should Be Ready to Move?) and HOOPSWORLD's always-thorough Jason Fleming put together a list of free agents to work of off (2011 Free Agents: Position-by-Position) and a list of Who's Got Space?. . . so once the league is back in business, what should happen?

Keep in mind what's to follow is completely hypothetical and there's no way to address every single issue with every single free agent on every single team:

David West to the Indiana Pacers - West is one of the top free agents this offseason despite a knee injury (ACL) that ended his season in March. The Pacers made the playoffs this past season and have been targeting this summer with cap room for a number of years.

The Pacers are a young team. For now, they're committed to building around Danny Granger which means Indiana needs to bring in a veteran.

West is a former All-Star. He's not a beast on the boards but he has a very steady face-up jump shot that should mesh nicely with center Roy Hibbert and point guard Darren Collison (his former New Orleans teammate).

Although Tyler Hansbrough had some strong moments at the four this past year, against the Chicago Bulls in the first round he needed 60 field-goal attempts to score 56 points (33.3%) from the field.

Hibbert, Hansbrough and West would make a solid tandem inside to go with Granger, Collison and the recently acquired George Hill from the San Antonio Spurs. The team is eager to see Paul George develop into a core piece.

The Pacers are open to moving James Posey's expiring contract, Brandon Rush and Dahntay Jones for complementary parts.

It might make sense to keep Mike Dunleavy at a good price, to help flesh out the roster. He's not spectacular but he's solid enough.

One thing about West, he can be very humble and unassuming. Playing in Indiana might appeal more to him than in a glitzier market like New York or Los Angeles. More importantly, the Pacers may have a ton of cap room . . . whatever that means post-lockout.

Losing West means the Hornets re-sign Carl Landry and land Reggie Evans.

Nene Re-signs with the Denver Nuggets - The rules may change. Teams may find ways to open up additional cap space but going by the list of teams projected to have cap space, Denver seems the inevitable answer for Nene.

The Pacers have Hibbert and now David West. The Sacramento Kings already have DeMarcus Cousins and now J.J. Hickson.

The Minnesota Timberwolves are Ricky Rubio and like two dozen big men. The Los Angeles Clippers are well-stocked at the four and five.

The Washington Wizards are rebuilding and have JaVale McGee. The only competition might be the New Jersey Nets but they may look to mind their finances closely with an eye ahead to Dwight Howard.

If the sign and trade survives the new CBA, Nene can try and force something but even that seems a stretch.

The Nuggets, post-Carmelo Anthony, were much, much better than people expected. The team needs him back and, in order to get paid, that's where he'll turn to stay.

Denver also keeps restricted free agent Arron Afflalo. Kenyon Martin ends up somewhere else. Where? How about the New York Knicks on a one-year?

Kris Humphries and Andrei Kirilenko to New Jersey Nets - It's not quite clear how the money will break down given the new rules, but Humphries is the kind of banger/rebounder Brook Lopez needs alongside him.

The Nets have literally no one at the four and the duo of Hump and AK will be strong in the East.

Does Kim Kardashian want to be a Jersey girl? No, but the Nets are moving to Brooklyn, so it will do.

Kirilenko will give fellow Russian Mikhail Prokhorov a discount (although the market for Andrei won't be nearly as high as his just-expired contract).

Andrei can play also play the three if the Nets want to go big and Travis Outlaw struggles again in his second season with the team.

DeAndre Jordan Re-signs with the Los Angeles Clippers - D.J. is a restricted free agent but more importantly he's Blake Griffin's best friend on the team. That's not to suggest Jordan hasn't earned a big deal without putting in the work. He made great strides this past year as a starter, especially defensively.

Keeping Jordan allows the Clippers to trade Chris Kaman at a later date.

If the long-term answer doesn't appear at the three over the offseason, Shane Battier would be an economic pickup

A Number of Re-signings - Most restricted free agents, like Jordan, will stay home. The Boston Celtics gave up too much (Kendrick Perkins) not to keep Jeff Green. Figure the Celtics keep Delonte West as well and lure a big man like Joel Przybilla for a couple of years.

Greg Oden has nowhere else to go but to Portland for the $8.8 million already offered (for one year).

The Miami HEAT have no one at the point but rookie Norris Cole and will have to make sure Mario Chalmers sticks around. There's a chance the Mid-Level Exception goes away in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) but the players are adamant it stays. If the HEAT can generate some level of spending power, Samuel Dalembert will sign.

The Philadelphia 76ers will keep their restricted free agents as well (Spencer Hawes and Thaddeus Young). Look for Andre Iguodala to be shopped but there may not be enough time post-lockout for Andre to be dealt before the season.

Marc Gasol will stay with the Memphis Grizzlies. If budget doesn't get too out of control then O.J. Mayo will be shopped. If money is an issue, then Rudy Gay may end up on the block but the safer bet is Mayo.

Nick Young will stay with the Washington Wizards. So too will Rodney Stuckey (and Jonas Jerebko) in Detroit with the Pistons and Marco Belinelli with the Hornets.

Mark Cuban will keep the band together with Tyson Chandler, J.J. Barea and even Caron Butler. DeShawn Stevenson may need a new home but he could re-sign for the minimum and an even smaller role.

Vince Carter Waived by Phoenix Suns, Signs with the Charlotte Bobcats - The Suns will try to trade Carter but instead will cut him for $4 million instead of paying him $14.3 million. The Bobcats need a vet two-guard and Vince won't mind going home in his old age. The Bobcats also need a five but that's going to have to come in trade.

Lack of depth at the position would mean Kwame Brown back to Charlotte for another year.

The New York Knicks Sign Troy Murphy to a One-Year Deal - Ever mindful of the 2012 free agent class, the Knicks pick up Murphy who is a solid rebounder and a decent shooter (after an off season). Money isn't clear exactly because Kenyon Martin as noted above goes to New York as well, but put it down.

Yao Ming Retires. The Houston Rockets Re-Sign Chuck Hayes - He may be way, way too short to be a center but it's worked for him in Houston. Long-term the Rockets need to reshuffle the deck . . . and they will via trade.

Jeff Foster Signs with the Los Angeles Lakers - L.A. needs a backup to Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol and Foster has played for Coach Mike Brown in Indiana. The Lakers also sign a younger power forward prospect instead of Derrick Caracter.

L.A. could use a combo guard to back up Kobe Bryant. How about Willie Green?

They will shop Lamar Odom but the timing may have to wait until the season starts.

The Lakers are another team looking at the 2012 free agents and Odom happens to have a very attractive, partially guarantee contract that year.

Jamal Crawford Re-signs with Atlanta Hawks (reluctantly) - It comes down to teams with the resources to spend and Crawford, after looking around extensively, takes the best he can get financially in Atlanta.

Trade Market Too Confusing to Even Guess On - Before teams make blockbuster deals, they typically look to solve their problems via free agency. When they get shut out on their targets, then they act.

While there's just too much up in the air to make any bold predictions, the Orlando Magic need to land Josh Smith from the Hawks. He's not even the perfect fit next to Howard but he's a guy Dwight is close to.

Jameer Nelson and Brandon Bass would appear to be the most attractive pieces but isn't Jeff Teague emerging in Atlanta? If the Hawks move Smith, while Bass might help, they need a true center to allow Al Horford to play the four.

Kaman would make sense in Atlanta except thus far L.A. hasn't any interest in Smith.

The Clippers would like Iguodala but the Sixers (so far) want more than Kaman.

Regarding Jameer, not many teams need starting caliber point guards. The Lakers, HEAT, Knicks (thinking beyond Chauncey Billups, although Nelson's extra year could be an issue), Phoenix (anticipating Steve Nash moving on), San Antonio Spurs (if Tony Parker ends up back on the block), Toronto Raptors (if Jose Calderon finally moved) and possibly a couple of other teams might.

The Bucks have a point guard to spare in Beno Udrih, Shaun Livingston, Keyon Dooling . . . or even Brandon Jennings although if he's dealt, it's probably not during the offseason.

The Suns may move Nash at some point or let him finish out his contract. Aaron Brooks is a restricted free agent who will draw some interest around the league but may end up staying in Phoenix (possibly on a short-term deal). Grant Hill stays to finish out his career. Michael Redd seems a natural fit.

The Bobcats can offer Boris Diaw, D.J. Augustin and others to try and get a center although Bismack Biyombo may end up a Ben Wallace-like starter at the five.

The Chicago Bulls need a two but may go short-term and preserve their spending power in 2012 as well.

Could the Bulls go Sasha Vujacic on a one-year deal?

Who is Left?

The Magic need to improve but given the options, letting Jason Richardson go for nothing may not make enough sense.

How about Tayshaun Prince to Golden State? Dorell Wright is the starting three so there's that concern, but Prince would add size and defense to a team that badly needs it.

The Sacramento Kings have to pay someone but who and at what position? They've got a sizable investment now in John Salmons and the rest of the starting lineup includes young, promising kids.

Ink restricted free agent Marcus Thornton back to Sacramento.

Another quandary - the Detroit Pistons. Where do you start?

Big Baby Davis? He had a terrible playoff but he may end up sticking Boston.

J.R. Smith? Somewhere else. Call it Minnesota Timberwolves. No it doesn't make sense to put Smith next to Michael Beasley and the impressionable Ricky Rubio, that's why it's as good as a lock.

Wilson Chandler? He could end up staying in Denver for the one-year tender.

Tracy McGrady? Shannon Brown? Aaron Gray? They'll find jobs but the crystal ball is running low on juice.

What about amnesty if that comes into play?

Players like Rashard Lewis, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas (or Hedo Turkoglu), Marvin Williams, Brendan Haywood, Al Harrington, Rip Hamilton, Andris Biedrins, Travis Outlaw, Josh Childress could all hit free agency and mix up an already complicated, shortened off-season.

Of course if the lockout lasts a full year, the 2012 class of free agents may have already played their final games for their current teams . . .
    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1RYQlKFTU
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Prediciting Free Agency

West is on the downside of his career. I like him as a player, but probably not for what we would have to give up to get him. Lets not spend money for the sake of spending money. Let someone else overpay for West.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

TBH I would assume Kris Humphries is higher on our wish list than West, but he's close to a mortal lock to return to Jersey if you ask me.

No.

Jeff Foster can not go to the Lakers. I won't allow it.

He's ours LA! YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!!!!!
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.

Jeff Foster can not go to the Lakers. I won't allow it.

He's ours LA! YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!!!!!
    Of all things Sacred. LA has the 2000 Finals on us and now this?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    TBH I would assume Kris Humphries is higher on our wish list than West, but he's close to a mortal lock to return to Jersey if you ask me.
    I'd rather just give more mins to Hansbrough than sign Humphries.

The only good that can come out of Humphries in Indy is that Kim Karsasian (sp?) will be at our games
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And the fact that Humphries is a better player than Hans at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    West is on the downside of his career. I like him as a player, but probably not for what we would have to give up to get him. Lets not spend money for the sake of spending money. Let someone else overpay for West.
    Who is going to overpay West? The nets? He has to be 3rd on their list behind Nene and Humph. Lets face it there are very few teams with money this year and we are going to offer a contract to someone.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Who is going to overpay West? The nets? He has to be 3rd on their list behind Nene and Humph. Lets face it there are very few teams with money this year and we are going to offer a contract to someone.
    It depends on the CBA and possible luxury tax implications. But one of those big market teams will. If the Lakers give up Gasol and Bynum they could make a play at him, the Nets could, Portland is never shy about spending. Sure, if we could get him for 6 million dollars per year go for it. I just don't see that happening. West will want to get paid like a 20/10 guy and if he was 25 I wouldn't be opposed to it. He is a few years older than the guys we are building around and he is on the downward slope of his career. I don't feel like giving the guy 8-10 million per year considering we won't contend with or without him for the next 3 years.

Mood

Jesse in Vancouver:
    The Grizzlies have made it clear they will match any reasonable offer given to Marc Gasol. What yearly salary would it take for Memphis to pass?
    Susan Bible:
    I'd say they wouldn't go over $7.5-8M....however, it's very hard to speculate until the new CBA numbers are settled.
    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1Rn1EzbJF

wow that seem really low to me i think the Grizz will match whatever they cant afford to lose Gasol.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1Rn1EzbJF

wow that seem really low to me i think the Grizz will match whatever they cant afford to lose Gasol.
    Unless 7.5-8 in the new CBA world is worth 12-15 million, I'd say this is off. I'd guess he'll get between 10-12 on average under the current system.

I still don't see how Memphis keeps everyone. If Marc can be gotten for 9 million a year, I'd do it, then move Roy for one of Utah's Power Forwards or for David West in a sign and trade. If 9 million is really what 9 million means now under the salary structure/cap.

I keep thinking if one of these centers become attainable, you can do it this way. Sign Chandler or Marc Gasol or trade for a Bynum, then use Roy as your main chip to bring in a PF.

Not advocating it, but I think its an avenue to look at.

I'm just saying you aren't limited to strictly look at Power Fowards, other moves can happen.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I keep thinking if one of these centers become attainable, you can do it this way. Sign Chandler or Marc Gasol or trade for a Bynum, then use Roy as your main chip to bring in a PF.

Not advocating it, but I think its an avenue to look at.

I'm just saying you aren't limited to strictly look at Power Fowards, other moves can happen.
    I'm not in the camp to ship Roy out just yet, but let's say we're able to sign Gasol to a somewhat decent contract, would it be able for us to land Josh Smith in some sort of trade for Roy and a couple less significant players to us? They'd be able to move Horford to the 4, so from that perspective Atl might be a bit intrigued. Would there be any possibility?
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

I'd like to sign Tracy McGrady to backup Granger. Can he play SF? I'd prefer Tracy to Duns.

I'd rather save the money. Look to trade Rush for a guy like Jordan Hill.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Unless 7.5-8 in the new CBA world is worth 12-15 million, I'd say this is off. I'd guess he'll get between 10-12 on average under the current system.

I still don't see how Memphis keeps everyone. If Marc can be gotten for 9 million a year, I'd do it, then move Roy for one of Utah's Power Forwards or for David West in a sign and trade. If 9 million is really what 9 million means now under the salary structure/cap.

IF we could get Marc Gasol for 10 million then we have to do it. That would be a very safe move and Hibbert is very movable for a quality pf in return.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    It depends on the CBA and possible luxury tax implications. But one of those big market teams will. If the Lakers give up Gasol and Bynum they could make a play at him, the Nets could, Portland is never shy about spending. Sure, if we could get him for 6 million dollars per year go for it. I just don't see that happening. West will want to get paid like a 20/10 guy and if he was 25 I wouldn't be opposed to it. He is a few years older than the guys we are building around and he is on the downward slope of his career. I don't feel like giving the guy 8-10 million per year considering we won't contend with or without him for the next 3 years.
    Assuming that the there are still sign and trades in the new CBA then your right that more teams could make a play for him but I can't think of one big market team/contender that needs him.
    LA- Gasol, Odom
    Knicks- Amare
    Portland- Aldridge
    Boston-KG
    Houston- Scola
    Dallas- No chance

Not all these teams are even contenders or big markets and he would have to be fine with coming off the bench. Again most teams are well above a projected cap of even 60 mill. I just think its highly unlikely that a contender makes a play for him.

I still don't know if we will but that doesn't change the fact that very few teams from a salary/asset stand point can offer him a reasonable contract.

If we got Marc, I'd be very interested in acquiring his brother to play along side him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If we got Marc, I'd be very interested in acquiring his brother to play along side him.
    At 31 and at his price I am not sure I would. I think Marc needs an athletic pf to play along side of him. A Josh Smith would be ideal or someone like him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I'd like to sign Tracy McGrady to backup Granger. Can he play SF? I'd prefer Tracy to Duns.

I'd rather save the money. Look to trade Rush for a guy like Jordan Hill.
    Tracy played pg all of last season. Tmac is going to a contender IMO. He spent last season rehabbing and getting stronger better month by month he looked good towards the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    At 31 and at his price I am not sure I would. I think Marc needs an athletic pf to play along side of him. A Josh Smith would be ideal or someone like him.
    They were a nice tandem for Spain in the Olympics. And it's not like Pao is a stiff.

As for the age, well first of all I put more stock in mileage than I do age, so I'll go with that: He's played for 10 seasons, and since he doesn't exactly play like Gerald Wallace or Josh Smith, I can easily imagine him being about as good as he currently is for at least a few more years. That's all you need if you're going to acquire him; it's not about a guy who will give you 10+ years. The NBA overhauls itself in about half that amount of time, generally speaking.

A common sentiment I'm seeing on PD is that no one is acceptable who isn't going to be in the same "prime window" as the rest of our core. Well, I don't want a guy on his last legs, but I see no problem in getting a guy who can fit in nicely for at least 3, if not closer to 5, years now, and then worry about replacing him around 2016 or so. The league is fluid; there's going to be more fish in the sea by then to find a suitable replacement.

Kind of like how we "rebuilt on the fly" after 2000. Sure, there's a lot of asterisks to go along with that, but it's possible to reload, as they say, without totally bombing out. And that's referring to an entire team, whereas I'm just arguing that it's okay to get one guy now, and be ready to replace him later (in 4 or 5 years).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    They were a nice tandem for Spain in the Olympics. And it's not like Pao is a stiff.

As for the age, well first of all I put more stock in mileage than I do age, so I'll go with that: He's played for 10 seasons, and since he doesn't exactly play like Gerald Wallace or Josh Smith, I can easily imagine him being about as good as he currently is for at least a few more years. That's all you need if you're going to acquire him; it's not about a guy who will give you 10+ years. The NBA overhauls itself in about half that amount of time, generally speaking.

A common sentiment I'm seeing on PD is that no one is acceptable who isn't going to be in the same "prime window" as the rest of our core. Well, I don't want a guy on his last legs, but I see no problem in getting a guy who can fit in nicely for at least 3, if not closer to 5, years now, and then worry about replacing him around 2016 or so. The league is fluid; there's going to be more fish in the sea by then to find a suitable replacement.
    Looking at his mileage the guy has averaged close to 36 mpg. Thats a lot for a 7 footer over a 10 year span. I agree that he plays a style of bb that helps prevent wearing down but overall at 31 he will wear down. I am more opposed to doing the deal though because it would require a lot to get him. Like Danny or Roy + plus more and he won't be worth 19 mill per year under a new CBA. If it was just ROy then I would do it but I doubt the Lakers would.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

7.5 - 8 million for Gasol? How quickly can we make this happen? Good god man thats an amazing deal IMO.

Trade Hibbert and Price for Josh Smith and I am the most excited for a Pacers season in nearly 10 years.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Does this pretty much drop us down the probability list for David West? It doesn't seem that this qould quite be the type of situation he's looking for.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/...g-lockout.html

RALEIGH Few NBA players are facing more uncertainty than David West.
    Like the rest of his pro basketball brethren, West is not sure when the 2011-12 season will begin, or if there will even be one.
    An unsigned free agent, the two-time NBA All-Star and former Garner High standout isn't sure for which team he'll be playing. He could return to the New Orleans Hornets when all is said and done, or he could be headed elsewhere.
    But coming off surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament, West is not sure how wary teams will be of signing a 6-foot-9 power forward who turns 31 in August.
    "It's a tricky time right now" said West, who has been rehabilitating his damaged left knee at the Athletic Performance Center in North Raleigh.
    For now, all he can do is work to strengthen his knee. And wait.
    The ongoing dispute between the NBA and the NBA Players Association over a new collective bargaining agreement has resulted in a lockout. Unlike the NFL, which appears to be closer to a CBA agreement, the NBA's issues could be thornier to resolve, and the work stoppage could be longer.
    "Any time you get in labor disputes, you have to make sure cool heads and right minds prevail and work out a deal that's fair and that reflects where the league is now," West said last week. "From my perspective, the longer the lockout lasts, the more opportunity for me to get healthy. But from the players' perspective, we want to play, but, again, we have to make sure the deal we put in place - we're talking about six-, eight-year deals - reflects where the league is now. It's not something where we, as players, are making concessions out of a position of weakness."
    West was putting together another strong season with the Hornets - averaging 18.9 points and 7.6 rebounds a game - and helping push them toward the playoffs before a March 24 road game against the Utah Jazz. Late in regulation, he powered in for a dunk but landed awkwardly.
    West's left knee buckled. Everyone sensed immediately it could be a season-ending injury, and it was.
    After the season, West opted out of a final year with the Hornets that would have paid him $7.5 million. But he said he isn't ruling out re-signing with New Orleans, rejoining his good friend, point guard Chris Paul.
    "I have to do what's best for me and my family," West said. "(Chris Paul) understands it's all about winning, and as the years go, by you can't get them back. I want to win and win big, win a championship.
    "But you've got to find the right situation, where it's reality and not fantasy. I just want to be on that stage, have a shot at (a title) and see what happens."
    It would be hard to leave New Orleans, West agreed. A first-round draft pick of the Hornets in 2003, he has played for them for eight seasons, in good times and bad. He also has invested a lot in the New Orleans community, working with his wife, Lesley, to aid hurricane victims after Katrina struck in 2005 and performing other community service.
    "It's a place and a team that gave me the chance to prove myself and make a name for myself in the NBA," he said. "The city has a special place in my heart. But again, it's a business."
    West has an offseason home in Raleigh. He still chuckles when it's mentioned that ACC schools missed on him at Garner High and that he ended up playing collegiately at Xavier for the late Skip Prosser after spending a year at Hargrave Military Academy.
    West was named Atlantic 10 Conference player of the year three consecutive seasons and was the AP national player of the year in 2003.
    "I was right there, at Garner," he said, shrugging. "I just got overlooked. The rest is history."
    The ACL tear was his first serious injury, West said. Dr. David Altchek performed the surgery April 12 in New York, and West has been pushing himself since, putting in three workouts a week at the APC facility in North Raleigh while also using the underwater treadmill at N.C. State's Murphy Football Center and working out with a trainer.
    "It was a clean injury, with no other damage to the knee," said Jaime Holt, the APC physical therapist overseeing West's workouts. "It was a 'good' injury, great surgery, and he's doing well in rehab.
    "He went back and saw Dr. Altchek a few weeks ago. They were thinking it would be January when he'd be cleared. After that visit, they're thinking November."
    For West, it could be perfect timing.
    chip.alexander@newsobserver.com