Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance Stephenson Showing Signs Of Progress This Summer

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Lance Stephenson Showing Signs Of Progress This Summer

http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/7/1...ss-this-summer

With the Kevin Pritchard news breaking last Friday, I was looking forward to hearing Mike Wells discuss the news with Michael Grady on the Grady and Big Joe Show.

Since the news was so fresh, Wells didn't have much more insight on the hire than he had already shared but he did have some interesting things to say as the discussion continued to other offseason topics. In fact, I was taken aback to hear Wells speak so positively about Lance Stephenson and the changes he's noticed in the young Pacers guard this summer.

I'm gonna say this, and Grady you know, you've seen people get mad at me for criticizing Lance Stephenson. I have heard nothing but good things about Lance so far. I talked to him at the Pro Am. We went the whole season where he would not acknowledge and speak to me first, not that he has to do that. He came up to me, shook my hand asked if I had any questions and before the lockout talking to people with the Pacers, they said he was committed to coming in throughout the whole thing and working out and stuff and now you gotta hope that now that there's nobody watching over Lance that he can continue this trend because he has the potential to be good.
    Even his father spoke to me during the draft party. I don't think he even said two words the whole season. I think the maturity is starting to slowly trickle down to Lance. Now, just hope that it carries over to after this lockout happens because if it doesn't happen it's a bad indication on Larry because he has stuck up for Lance and he has been adamant that he wants Lance on his team, so he has to hope that Lance is mature enough to handle this throughout the whole process and is responsible in working out.

As he mentioned, Wells is nowhere near a Stephenson apologist which is why this was news to me. MG went on to verify Stephenson's reluctance to say anything during the season, especially without Clark Kellogg monitoring his actions.

Of course, being a professional working on your game and learning to handle your business with the media remains a Chris Rock, what do you want, a cookie?! situation. It has to be an everyday way of life thing for Stephenson, putting in the work over the long haul so that eventually his showing the basic signs of progress isn't considered news.

One bad decision in less than a minute's time can wipe away months of hard work and professional behavior. So on some level, I'm kind of glad Stephenson is forced away from the Fieldhouse and the team's advisors during the lockout. Seriously, it's not that tough to remain self-motivated and take care of your business so we'll see what happens when Stephenson returns from the lockout with any additional progress solely on his shoulders.
    Does that constitue praise? Find it interesting that I used the word praise and a poster said something like "How is Lance being prasied" which was "Thanked" on that post by the above article's writer.

I think this is a nice piece which should give people who wish for Lance to succed, sincere hope
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Default Re: Lance Stephenson Showing Signs Of Progress This Summer

He will not have a bigger fan if he backs it up...but this is just more talk. Let's see what he does this coming season (if they even play one).

Don't take this wrong but did we really need another seperate thread for this? Couldn't this have gone in the other thread as a counter point to say that this is praise for Lance?

Just my

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't take this wrong but did we really need another seperate thread for this? Couldn't this have gone in the other thread as a counter point to say that this is praise for Lance?

Just my

So over under 15 more threads about Lance between now and the end of the lockout

Just my
    I thought about that but wanted to point it out specifically after a few had an issue of the title being misleading , I thought it to be ironic that I found an article that was even more explanatory than the previous one I posted

So yes , you are correct my ego allowed me to make a second post, but I have no problem closing and combining if thats the thought

And Peck, you never offend bro so no need to quanitfy your statement

but thanks

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I thought about that but wanted to point it out specifically after a few had an issue of the title being misleading , I thought it to be ironic that I found an article that was even more explanatory than the previous one I posted

So yes , you are correct my ego allowed me to make a second post, but I have no problem closing and combining if thats the thought

And Peck, you never offend bro so no need to quanitfy your statement

but thanks
    Let's just let this thread ride out, no need to combine.

I can totally understand wanting to get a point across so I'm cool with that. However to be honest I understand where Brushwithdeath was coming from with his question. I think it was a postive statement about Lance but I'm not sure I would say praise, although it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Either way all it good.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

LOL at the Second "Thanks" utilized

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    So over under 15 more threads about Lance between now and the end of the lockout
    WAY over...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I have no problems with multiple threads as Lance has the most unknowns/what-ifs out of anyone on our team and therefore is a popular topic of discussion. I believe everything Bird says and pray that he turns out to be our best player. We all think P.George is gonna be great and I'm excited to think we have two players that have a chance to be that good. The fact that both have ridiculous upside excites me more than anything Pacers-related since the brawl. Worthy topic of discussion IMO.

Edit: I did not mean the brawl excited me. Having possibly the best team in the league that year excited me.
    Last edited by HickeyS2000; 07-12-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Additional Explanation

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Based on everything I am hearing from Bird and other posters I expect Lance to be nothing less than the second coming of Kobe Bryant.

In all seriousness, does anyone else think the "Lance hype" is bizarre?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

I am rooting for the kid. Even if he never plays well for us, I just hope he gets his act together. It would be nice if he became a great player too.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

combination of things : off season is already slow, yet add a lockout and you struggle for info to discuss. Also, as Pacer fans we have had very few superstars and even though it is a lot of hype surrounding Lance , he is one of the few players on the team with the potential to be that. Add in quotes by Bird of "most talented on the team" and various similar quotes, hence the multiple posts

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    In all seriousness, does anyone else think the "Lance hype" is bizarre?
    Me too. I can accept that he's capable of maturing. I can imagine him learning the concept of defense and becoming a legit NBA player. But what kind of ceiling are we talking, here? J.Jack? Ty Evans? Can he ever become a true point guard?

It's hard for me to imagine the kid ever becoming a player at Granger's level, let alone better. I'll be happy if he can hold a spot in the rotation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Just my
    Sure, but it's not uncommon for a new article to get a new thread.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

He's got All Star potential. If he uses his abilities right and doesn't get in trouble , he's going to be special.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

He's doing everything he should to get better this offseason and I tip my hat off to him for putting in the hardwork and effort.

It'll pay off and it appears it has been considering he's been tearing it up in the camps and such.

His head's been on basketball and is making his new home Indy which is great.

He's a nice guy. I just felt that he was a little confused last season and now that he's in the pros, that immature nature will not be tolerated. Especially by the Pacers.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Me too. I can accept that he's capable of maturing. I can imagine him learning the concept of defense and becoming a legit NBA player. But what kind of ceiling are we talking, here? J.Jack? Ty Evans? Can he ever become a true point guard?

It's hard for me to imagine the kid ever becoming a player at Granger's level, let alone better. I'll be happy if he can hold a spot in the rotation.
    This statement puzzles me. Do you think Bird would say he was our best player is he was a Jarrett Jack level talent?

Lance has the size and all the skills to be a dominant PG.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This statement puzzles me. Do you think Bird would say he was our best player is he was a Jarrett Jack level talent?

So you are basing this off of a guy who drafted Shawne Williams and traded to get James White. Remember him saying great stuff about them? Lets not make Larry out to be the Nostradamus of projecting young talent in the NBA. I mean where on earth do you get off Lance has the ability to be a "dominant" point guard? For goodness sakes, he was drafted what? 43? Lots of dominant players have went that late I suppose.

I am with Anthem. What is Lance's ceiling? I have no idea. But if he was the next Kobe Bryant and his talent level was so great wouldn't he have got some time in front of the immortal Brandon Rush, AJ Price or Dhantay Jones?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

To go along with what joew has said he's also said things like we're going to get "one of the best shooters in the league" or something along those lines and that turned out to be travis diener.

I don't fault Larry for saying these things though it's something to have someone of Bird's stature to have that kind of belief in you to motivate you. It really is not that different than say Rex Ryan every year saying the Jets are going to win the super bowl, except Larry isn't a loudmouthd blowhard like Rex is

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    So you are basing this off of a guy who drafted Shawne Williams and traded to get James White. Remember him saying great stuff about them? Lets not make Larry out to be the Nostradamus of projecting young talent in the NBA. I mean where on earth do you get off Lance has the ability to be a "dominant" point guard? For goodness sakes, he was drafted what? 43? Lots of dominant players have went that late I suppose.

I am with Anthem. What is Lance's ceiling? I have no idea. But if he was the next Kobe Bryant and his talent level was so great wouldn't he have got some time in front of the immortal Brandon Rush, AJ Price or Dhantay Jones?
    You realize Kobe Bryant was traded for an aging Vlade Divac

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

You realize Kobe Bryant was traded for an aging Vlade Divac
    comparing trading for james white the same as trading divac for kobe?

**clears throat to sing**

one of these things is not like the other....

Because Kobe's agent made it pretty clear that Kobe wanted to go to LA, and they would hold out on it. John Calipari, as the coach of the Nets, wanted to select Kobe earlier in the draft, but didn't because of it.

Only Bryant wasn't about to wait years for his liberation. He called Calipari after the coach's lunch with Taub, and Bryant's agent, Arn Tellem, called Nash. Prospect and agent declared they wanted no part of Jersey; Tellem even threatened that his client would play in Italy if the Nets ignored their wishes.

Nash met with a panicked Calipari and tried to calm the coach. The GM made some phone calls and figured out that the Lakers' Jerry West had reached an agreement with Charlotte, holding the 13th pick, to trade Vlade Divac for Bryant; West was confident that Kobe would make it to No. 13 if the Nets passed at No. 8.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ian&id=6255802

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Because Kobe's agent made it pretty clear that Kobe wanted to go to LA, and they would hold out on it. John Calipari, as the coach of the Nets, wanted to select Kobe earlier in the draft, but didn't because of it.

That story has been pushed around a lot, but LA was getting Charlotte's 13th pick, regardless of whether it was Kobe drafted or not. That deal was made in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

I understand , my point was two fold.

Kobe was not that highly thought of (as far as a potential superstar) and drafted 13th

Lance, had he come straight from HS, without baggage would have been a lottery pick I believe.

Maybe not the best example but point being he generatedd enough interest that I dont think its outrageous to think he could one day be a star

36. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

I understand , my point was two fold.

Kobe was not that highly thought of (as far as a potential superstar) and drafted 13th

Lance, had he come straight from HS, without baggage would have been a lottery pick I believe.

Maybe not the best example but point being he generatedd enough interest that I dont think its outrageous to think he could one day be a star
    Ok, there is a big difference between 13 and 42, big.

You can believe what you want, but Lance was a 42nd pick. I hope you are right, and Lance is a cross between Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson. But right now he is a young kid who can't get time with some pretty medicore talent in front of him and apparently smells bad to his teammates.