View Poll Results: If the situation in the OP was true, would you have wanted Bird to become the HC?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 43.48%
  • No

26 56.52%

Thread: Hypothetical Poll: Would you have been happy if Larry came down as coach?

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hypothetical Poll: Would you have been happy if Larry came down as coach?

Lets just pretend for a second that last year Frank did such a terrible job that there was no way in hell that we would have hired him. We would have been in the coaching chase and all the other names that were on the market were still there. Would you have been okay with Bird stepping down and taking over as coach?

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Hypothetical Poll: Would you have been happy if Larry came down as coach?

No

Bird has been doing to good of a job the last couple years. Bird and Morway have a plan and it doesn't involve Bird being Coach Bird, but it does involve the Pacers being championship contenders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Default Re: Hypothetical Poll: Would you have been happy if Larry came down as coach?

Without a complete overhaul of the roster to a veteran laden team that can run things themselves, coupled with better communicators as assistant coaches, Bird wouldn't be very good as a coach, and he has said as much himself at various times in the past few years.

No. Lots of good reasons why, but I'll go with his health as the main factor.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I would have been fine with it. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but you could do far worse than Larry Bird as your coach.

Mood

If I knew Larry wanted to do it and knew that Larry was physically capable of doing it, of course I'd be fine with it because I thought he did a very good job from 1997-2000 in that role. I am not one who subscribes to the theory that the head coach must be the master X/O guy, the details guy, the everything guy. Those guys are great too, but I'm equally fine with a smart, delegating, leader of a head coach who is capable of surrounding himself with the right "instruments" as his assistant coaches to get high quality results.

So, yeah, if he could re-produce the kind of staff and setup he had in place in the late 90's, I'd be completely cool with that.

All that said, that's not reality, and that ship sailed a decade ago.

Mood

I don't want to see Lance play 48 minutes per night so no

If Frank had failed miserably, then the 3 year plan would be a failure and Larry should then have been out on his behind.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!