Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I Thought

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I Thought

If there is a 2011 free agent class. Attached is a link to a Sport's Illustrated gallery of the top 2011 NBA free agents.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Default Re: Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I Thought

it seems pretty weak sauce to me. Grant Hill for MDJr swap would be sweet though.

but why is DeAndre Jordan's qualifying offer 1.1 mil? Is that a typo? What kind of contract is he going to get?

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it seems pretty weak sauce to me. Grant Hill for MDJr swap would be sweet though.

but why is DeAndre Jordan's qualifying offer 1.1 mil? Is that a typo? What kind of contract is he going to get?
    He was the 35th pick, that's why. One of those crazy draft slides. He was getting hyped as a top 10 guy then rumors came out, can't remember about what. "Terrible work ethic" or something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You posted a link to something that shows Nene as the #1 free agent available and Thaddeus Young as the #5 free agent available. How much worse does a free agent class get? You're really not making a good argument for your thread title.
    Grown Man Ball

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an overpriced forward that will be solid, but not a star this is a great FA market. If you are looking for what the Pacers are looking for there aren't many good options.

There are some good bench options. If you are looking to fill out your starting 5 with that list then you have some problems.

I would take a look at DeAndre Jordan if it didn't take much to get him as a back up big man. Other than that teams will overpay for Nene and West. Just save the cap space and try to make a couple upgrades via trades.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thefeistyone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I Thought
    Yes, it is. At least for the Pacers, what they need to do, what they need financially ................. there's hardly anything/anyone that fits.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I won't mind to sign Jeff Green or Battier for the backup small forward position. Green doesn't fit in Boston, but is a good player. Battier is above average defense and pedigree.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:

I keep forgetting about Shane Battier. He would be an excellent addition to our bench.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Even though our current wing situation is a little convoluted, I think Jamal Crawford would be quite an excellent pickup. With DC/GH, PG/GH, and DG/PG, we've still got Rush, Jones, and Stephenson to fit in somewhere. Now, the Pacers aren't done with their roster changes and such, so we should expect some more moves to happen post-lockout to clear up some space.

Crawford would bring great clutch, veteran leadership, and IQ to the team. He could be a third swingman between George, Hill, and Granger (PG/GH at 2, DG/PG at 3). On the chance Granger actually IS moved after gameplay begins this season, or if Hill was playing point guard, Crawford would become incredibly useful (Hill-Crawford-George).

Besides him, if DeAndre Jordan was actually only offered $1.1m from the Clippers, there is absolutely no reason the Pacers shouldn't try to pick him up. He's got a ton of potential, could be a smashmouth backup center behind Roy, and could be much less expensive than most expected him to be. And maybe if we bring DJ over, Blake will miss his BFF and want a trade. Then EJ will just walk on over when he realizes his team is dead.

EDIT: in addition to being a strong roster piece, maybe Jamal Crawford could help improve Paul George's handles. Can you imagine seeing Paul master Crawford's Shake-and-Bake and making it into something of his own? Besides that, Crawford's also a quick shooter who may even be more clutch than George Hill; he'd immediately be the person to shoot the last shot in close games. If PG could work on his jumper with Crawford, too, it could only make him better.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 07-10-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Even though our current wing situation is a little convoluted, I think Jamal Crawford would be quite an excellent pickup. With DC/GH, PG/GH, and DG/PG, we've still got Rush, Jones, and Stephenson to fit in somewhere. Now, the Pacers aren't done with their roster changes and such, so we should expect some more moves to happen post-lockout to clear up some space.
    I would've agreed before we acquired George Hill. Now, Crawford would just be redundant.

For whoever mentioned Battier, I'd really like that pick-up. He seems like the type of player that Bird would simply love. Problem is, I don't know if he'd have a big enough role with us here to make him want to sign.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not bad in terms of solid role players and depth. This is the perfect FA class to pick up a quality bench guy on the cheap to replace Dunleavy and to ensure that Posey never logs another minute in a Pacers uni.

PS. Deandre Jordan is a starter in LA, why would he sign to be a back up here. I believe if we signed him, he'd start next to Roy as a shot blocker/rebounder then move to the 5 when Tyler comes in. He'd be cheaper than Nene but doesnt score as well, mostly put backs and ally oops but he's a nice defensive presence.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I would've agreed before we acquired George Hill. Now, Crawford would just be redundant.
    I couldn't agree more. But IF trading Granger for a star PF is part of Bird's current offseason plans, I'd be happy to pick up Crawford to play his "usual" 6th Man position. The starters would be DC/GH/PG/(PF)/Roy, Hill and Lancelot playing both guard positions, Crawford playing the swingman spot behind Hill and PG. Again, I don't really see us ridding Granger for anyone this offseason, but if I was picking a 2011 free agent to fill the spot, it'd be Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Not bad in terms of solid role players and depth. This is the perfect FA class to pick up a quality bench guy on the cheap to replace Dunleavy and to ensure that Posey never logs another minute in a Pacers uni.

PS. Deandre Jordan is a starter in LA, why would he sign to be a back up here. I believe if we signed him, he'd start next to Roy as a shot blocker/rebounder then move to the 5 when Tyler comes in. He'd be cheaper than Nene but doesnt score as well, mostly put backs and ally oops but he's a nice defensive presence.
    I agree on most of this. I'm sure DJ can play one helluva starting PF, especially alongside Roy, and would make Tyler look great off the bench. Not only would we have our new Twin Towers, DJ would almost perfectly compensate for Tyler (tall, long, defensive, at-the-rim play vs. undersized but strong "beast mode" post play). Besides that, he's young (which is an advantage compared to Nene and David West), so if he remains loyal, he could be a very good long-term investment.

As far as this FA class being "deep" in the terms of role players and MDJ replacements, this couldn't be any truer. There are several good players in this class who we can pick up for less than MDJ's $10.6m he "earned" last year. Hell, we could use that $10.6m/year alone to sign two or three better players, if we wanted to (though unnecessary and not advised).

All in all, I just hope we have enough time before the season starts to make ANY moves. But even if we were "stuck" with this roster for this season, I believe we'd still make much more of an impact than we did last season. However, I'm still very sure that, FA "period" or not, Rush will at least be traded before the deadline.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

As painful as it may be to some members of PD, its darn near a guarantee that the FO will sign atleast one FA this year.

Heck two years ago they signed Earl Watson and Dahntay with virtaully no money to spend. Now they have a boat load of cash and some are expecting (more like hoping) that the FO sits on it? I dont think so.

While I agree that trade is the best route for improving this team, I am almost certain that one, possibly two FA will be signed, whenever the FA occurs.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Meh. We've got bench players. I could care less about getting guys of similar quality. Trade. Cap room gives some flexibility.

There's a chance that the new CBA will have a version of the Alan Houston rule -- that might create some decent free agents. Current crop is terrible.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

I agree, when I was looking through the list Jordan was the guy I wanted most because of his talent, age, and price I think he brings the most bang for your buck. Guys like Nene and West may be better they will just cost too much for what they bring.

As painful as it may be to some members of PD, its darn near a guarantee that the FO will sign atleast one FA this year.

Heck two years ago they signed Earl Watson and Dahntay with virtaully no money to spend. Now they have a boat load of cash and some are expecting (more like hoping) that the FO sits on it? I dont think so.

While I agree that trade is the best route for improving this team, I am almost certain that one, possibly two FA will be signed, whenever the FA occurs.
    Yeah, but both Watson and Jones were cheap. Considering how this board thinks of Jones you would think he was making $8 million a year not $2.5 million. Watson at least was more to just fill out the roster. Anyways I don't think anyone is saying no to any free agent as it is they just don't want to overspend on a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post

For whoever mentioned Battier, I'd really like that pick-up. He seems like the type of player that Bird would simply love. Problem is, I don't know if he'd have a big enough role with us here to make him want to sign.
    I completely agree about battier. He would be an excellent pick-up, but you are also right that we don't really have the PT for him to want to come. Danny is always going to get 36 to 40 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He was the 35th pick, that's why. One of those crazy draft slides. He was getting hyped as a top 10 guy then rumors came out, can't remember about what. "Terrible work ethic" or something.
    my bad, i forgot how the qualifying offer works.

clips can match anything, so the 1.1 mil is what he gets only if no team offers him a better offer sheet...obviously, he will get more...though i don't know how much more....

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Where's Carl Landry in this list? xD

This list is really ordered terribly.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

As for who I'm interested in, I'll go with either of Nene/West/Landry at the four (I've been convinced that Landry would be a solid addition to be a stop gap). Nene would be the best option, if he can play the four. West is the biggest risk, but he also has the best chance of having the biggest impact on the team. West can potentially be our most consistent player next season. As for Landry, he is just a very solid stop gap solution, a lot like Andre Miller in Portland a couple years back.

I don't think we have a need for a backup three, as Granger/George/Hill/Lance will consume the wing spots. There won't be many minutes left. I'd love to have Battier/Grant Hill/Prince on our team, but we don't have minutes because the backup three spot is consumed by Paul George.

I AM interested in DeAndre Jordan. He is the yin to Roy's yang. He does everything that Roy doesn't, and Roy does everything that DeAndre doesn't. Plus he has room to improve. He'd be a huge piece in building the best bench in the league. A bench of Lance/Hill/George/Hansbrough/DeAndre is just flat out sick.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    Meh. We've got bench players. I could care less about getting guys of similar quality. Trade. Cap room gives some flexibility.

There's a chance that the new CBA will have a version of the Alan Houston rule -- that might create some decent free agents. Current crop is terrible.
    Yes, I hope they have some sort of Amnesty Clause. If so, Rashard Lewis would be an interesting player to take a look at. He can play PF alongside Danny and provide some added spacing, scoring, and rebounding. He's like Troy Murphy with defense which is the same as saying he's nothing like Troy Murphy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Yes, I hope they have some sort of Amnesty Clause. If so, Rashard Lewis would be an interesting player to take a look at. He can play PF alongside Danny and provide some added spacing, scoring, and rebounding. He's like Troy Murphy with defense which is the same as saying he's nothing like Troy Murphy.
    Not saying he's not capable, but the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play, he's really not good. Not like not good for what he's paid, but not good, like not good, like not a rotation player on a good team. He looked disinterested to me. I like the idea of even a 75% of a Good Rashard, but man thats not what I saw.

Yeah Glen Davis on a top 10 anything good list is pretty awful, this class is one of the worst ever, if not, the worst ever....

What is Deandre Jordans price tag. IS it 8 mill per year or 10. The difference is that we still don't know if he is a quality starter or if he just a quality backup.

I have to big concerns about DJ that I think someone could help me out with. One is his jump shot range and the other is his defensive awareness. I know a lot of posters get all excited over potential but he fouls a lot for a big man and putting him further away from the basket with quick pf's would concern me overall if he has a low BBIQ

IF you put him next to Hibbert then he also needs to be able to hit a jumper to keep defensives honest. It seems to me also that teams would foul him a lot because his free throw shooting is terrible. Its worse than Shaq terrible which would kill us in the playoffs.

If the price is right then I would like DJ but he isn't worth what I think the Clippers would match.

Banned
    Mood

RealGM • View Topic - Most Underrated Pending Free Agent?

I thought some here might enjoy reading the above. There may not be any superstars, and few major impact players, but there will be a lot of very solid, above-average players available.

Nene and Battier. Done.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!