Thread: {NBA.com} $160 million in escrow money to be returned to players

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default {NBA.com} $160 million in escrow money to be returned to players

So, I guess the owners can exercise self-control after all

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...ate/index.html

$160 million in escrow money to be returned to players
    by Steve Aschburner
    Posted Jul 12 2011 12:14PM

Escrow money withheld from all NBA players' paychecks each season will be returned to them this offseason for the first time, providing a $160 million infusion of cash in the midst of the league's labor lockout.

The escrow funds -- representing eight percent of each NBA player's salary -- are held back each season to ensure that the players' share of basketball-related income does not exceed the contractually agreed-upon percentage, currently 57 percent. This year, for the first time since the system was introduced in the collective bargaining agreement that came out of the 1998-99 lockout, the cut to players will fall short, sources with the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association confirmed.

When a final audit is completed later this month, the players will have been paid less than 57 percent of BRI and will be due the entire $160 million. It's the first time the players will have the full escrow returned, a union spokesman said.

That cash could ease or delay the point at which some players begin to feel financial hardship from the lockout. Based on the "average" NBA salary of $5.7 million, the escrow rebate would be worth $456,000. A minimum-salaried player ($473,604) would be due $37,888 while a $16 million superstar could expect $1.28 million coming back.

A majority of NBA players are paid from November through April, while those on a 12-month payment plan receive checks through the summer for the just-completed season. A check for 8 percent of their annual salary could put off any money pinch they eventually feel.

Traditionally, the annual July audit is the time when BRI is defined, along with the salary-cap and minimum payroll figures.

Default Re: {NBA.com} $160 million in escrow money to be returned to players

Well ............. THIS will certainely add leverage to the players union, and put added pressure on the NBA. Putting added stress on them to get a deal done , so a full season is not lost .

A lost season would cost both the players and the NBA billions of dollars .. I don't think either side wants to lose that much money.. So I think a deal will get ironed out..

Realistically , the worst case scenerio that is most likely to happen, in my opinion , is that nothing will get worked out till late December. The season would end up starting 2 weeks into January. I just don't see either side willing to lose a whole season.

I think what will probably end up happening, is the season starting the end of November .. Like Friday Nov 25th , a day after Thanksgiving. When all seems at peace in the universe; Simply because as fans we will have been withdrawing all summer/fall .. ; and we will get the treat of Pacer's Basketball while being able to enjoy the delicious plethora of leftovers ...

LOL ..
    Last edited by Kemo; 07-13-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's starting to look more and more like this season will be completely lost.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

MTM

If the players can hold out financially, then the holdout will extend as long as they don't blink. They want so many things that appear to be fundamentally opposed to what owners are willing to continue happen under the existing CBA. Owners have the money and access to other revenue streams that they can continue to hold-out for the deal they want. Players need to be willing to do the same - this, along with playing over seas as an option, are examples of how I think players are in it for the long-haul this time, not like in 1998 when the season was partially salvaged. I think we lose at least one season, and maybe part of next.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This certainly tilts the scales back in the NBAPA's favor.

They can now argue that the league made more money than expected and that the owners are crying poor at a time when they turned a big enough profit to warrant the release of escrow funds to the players.

IMO, the Owners should just work towards a 51/49% split of BRI with a hard cap of 75 million per team. The Owners will be getting 49% of BRI as opposed to the 43% they got in the previous CBA. That should be enough to eliminate most of the Owners claims that they are losing money and it will balance out the revenue split.

They should keep the MLE and increase the Veteran Minimum to 1.5 million which along with a higher hard cap of 75 million should make the players less worried about their abilities to move around via free agency.

That's a fair deal IMO. The Players have to give up more than they want in BRI and the Owners have to give up more than they want in the way of exceptions and Salary Cap limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it tips the scales in anyone's favor. To me, considering this is the first time ever the players have gotten it back means that the owners stopped spending money this last year.

There's a reason why this is the ONLY year they've ever had to release that money.

I think it shows that the owners started saving money at the beginning of the year, trying to cut down expenses and get into lockout mode, just like the players should have quit spending and started saving money.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think it tips the scales in anyone's favor. To me, considering this is the first time ever the players have gotten it back means that the owners stopped spending money this last year.

There's a reason why this is the ONLY year they've ever had to release that money.

I think it shows that the owners started saving money at the beginning of the year, trying to cut down expenses and get into lockout mode, just like the players should have quit spending and started saving money.
    I don't think that follows. Since it is Basketball Related INCOME, and one of the owners' bargaining issues is to add more expenses to that calculation, I don't think it has anything to do with owners saving money at all.

I could have my mind changed if someone has a list of expenses that are CURRENTLY allowed against revenues to create BRI, but my feeling is that this kind of release isn't based on savings in those areas.

I'd be more interested in understanding what % of BRI the $160M represents so we know how much it really says about the overall league income. I also thought that the escrow was taken from a player's contracted salary, not saved by the teams and added to salaries - is this correct? If so, this really just represents players getting closer to their full salaries for the first time.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Oh you're right. One of those days.

I certainly don't think it's a game changer - that is chump change for the players.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I don't think that follows. Since it is Basketball Related INCOME, and one of the owners' bargaining issues is to add more expenses to that calculation, I don't think it has anything to do with owners saving money at all.
    Exactly, the money is in ESCROW, which is not their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I certainly don't think it's a game changer - that is chump change for the players.
    Exactly, which makes their sweetheart deal even that much more ridiculous. The players are already well paid. The owners should not be forced to pay what is essentially a bonus check, to an employee while the company is losing money. And two-thirds of the league just did.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 07-13-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Exactly, which makes their sweetheart deal even that much more ridiculous. The players are already well paid. The owners should not be forced to pay what is essentially a bonus check, to an employee while the company is losing money. And two-thirds of the league just did.
    If what I understand is correct (and I'm still waiting for confirmation or refutation), that escrow is not additional money the owners put in an account, it is a percentage of the players' salaries that is held until it is confirmed how much of BRI they got in salaries that year. That means, if I remember correctly, it comes out of the players' pockets, not the owners'.

Now, that makes me revisit what I said to since86, because if the owners didn't pay as much in total salaries through 2010-2011 season, it WOULD in fact reduce the % of BRI the players got and therefore lead to the fund release. Saving money on salaries such that players get some of their escrow for the first time doesn't somehow prove that the owners are making more money than they said, but it also doesn't somehow help the owners by proving they can't cut their costs. It's a push.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

If what I understand is correct (and I'm still waiting for confirmation or refutation), that escrow is not additional money the owners put in an account, it is a percentage of the players' salaries that is held until it is confirmed how much of BRI they got in salaries that year. That means, if I remember correctly, it comes out of the players' pockets, not the owners'.

Now, that makes me revisit what I said to since86, because if the owners didn't pay as much in total salaries through 2010-2011 season, it WOULD in fact reduce the % of BRI the players got and therefore lead to the fund release. Saving money on salaries such that players get some of their escrow for the first time doesn't somehow prove that the owners are making more money than they said, but it also doesn't somehow help the owners by proving they can't cut their costs. It's a push.
    I thought it was on the owners paying for taking in more than their 43%. My mistake.

A 57-43 pie is still a pretty sweet deal for them. It probably should come out of the players pockets with that kind of split.

Mood

Okay, I'll ask.........................what the **** is esgrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Okay, I'll ask.........................what the **** is esgrow?
    Escrow is basically a withholding account. The players have to put a certain percentage of their salary into the escrow for the year. Its designed to keep their portion of the BRI at the 57% of league revenue. If at the end of the year, the total combine salaries of all players is under 57% of league revenues then that amount in Escrow goes back to the players. If the Salaries total more than the 57%, then the owners get it.

If you own a house you most likely have an escrow account set up to pay your yearly insurance policies and stuff like that. So you continually fund the escrow so that you dont' have to worry about paying a some large insurance premium every year along with your mortgage payment, since many people in this country stupidly live paycheck to paycheck.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the way it works it that a certain amount (I think 8% this past season) is withheld from each player's paycheck. Previously, at the end of the season, the league totals up the amount of BRI and divides that amount by the total of Player's salaries. If that sum is more than 57%, the owners get to keep that Escrow money and the money is split between the teams.

This is the first time that the NBA generated so much revenue that the Players get the Escrow money refunded back to them. Sure it's chump change but it's a bonus above the amount that they made this past season. It's more money to live off of for the next 3-6 months so if they miss game checks, they can still make ends meet for a while.

The main way this helps the players is that they can now say that hey you Owners have miss managed your money if you can still lose money during the highest revenue influx ever. Of course, this isn't exactly accurate but that's how the players will spin it in their favor.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    since many people in this country stupidly live paycheck to paycheck.
    You act like this is an elected thing..
    For the majority of us, we are 1 or 2 paychecks from living out our vehicle ..

I'd say a very very small percentage live paycheck to paycheck on purpose..

That's just how it is .. economy is so bad, money is so tight, and unemployment is through the roof..
    Last edited by Kemo; 07-13-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I'd be more interested in understanding what % of BRI the $160M represents so we know how much it really says about the overall league income. I also thought that the escrow was taken from a player's contracted salary, not saved by the teams and added to salaries - is this correct? If so, this really just represents players getting closer to their full salaries for the first time.
    Well, let's see...

If the escrow is 8% of the players' income, then their full income would come out to $2 billion. The players get 57% of the BRI, which means the owners get approximately $1.5 billion (43%). So, that would equal a total BRI of $3.5 billion. The $160 million would represent about .46% of the total BRI.

Of course, since the $2 billion didn't reach 57% of the BRI this year, that means the total income generated was greater than $3.5 billion, which in turn makes the escrow lower than .46% for this past season, though probably not by a huge amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Well, let's see...

If the escrow is 8% of the players' income, then their full income would come out to $2 billion. The players get 57% of the BRI, which means the owners get approximately $1.5 billion (43%). So, that would equal a total BRI of $3.5 billion. The $160 million would represent about .46% of the total BRI.

Of course, since the $2 billion didn't reach 57% of the BRI this year, that means the total income generated was greater than $3.5 billion, which in turn makes the escrow lower than .46% for this past season, though probably not by a huge amount.
    An interesting note about that 1.5 Billion the owners get. If you split that up evenly amoung 30 teams you get like 75 million per team. I'd say the league as some serious work to do on the revenue sharing thing.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Well, let's see...

Yeah, I missed where in the article it explicitly said "the full escrow"
    BillS

Yeah the way it works it that a certain amount (I think 8% this past season) is withheld from each player's paycheck. Previously, at the end of the season, the league totals up the amount of BRI and divides that amount by the total of Player's salaries. If that sum is more than 57%, the owners get to keep that Escrow money and the money is split between the teams.

This is the first time that the NBA generated so much revenue that the Players get the Escrow money refunded back to them. Sure it's chump change but it's a bonus above the amount that they made this past season. It's more money to live off of for the next 3-6 months so if they miss game checks, they can still make ends meet for a while.

The main way this helps the players is that they can now say that hey you Owners have miss managed your money if you can still lose money during the highest revenue influx ever. Of course, this isn't exactly accurate but that's how the players will spin it in their favor.
    disclaimer: If any of this is explained in the full article sorry I didn''t read the full article.

It didn't say the first time they got escrow back, just the first time they got the full amount back. They could have gotten 7% back every year since 1999 for all we know.

How do we know it was because of an influx of revenue?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

You know, there's no need to discuss hypotheticals. Larry Coon (as usual) has the escrow data.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q15

Since 2005, the players have gotten back $38m, $22m, $21.5m, $0, and $21.6m. This year, they're getting back the full escrow amount of $160m. Things are different this year, no question.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

according to earlier publications the total players salaries were 2.18 billion

i got this from the articles describing the plaeyers proposals.

if 57% of bri = 2.18 billion then 100% of bri =3.825 billion, leaving 1.645 billion to the owners.
    160 million= 4.18% of bri,

1.645 for 30 teams = 55 million per team still a good chunk.

just some calculations to clarify

btw 8% of your annual income equals a full month wage, nothing to describe as chump change, on any income level that is substantial, think of your boss keeping it from your salary to make sure his wage cost stay in percentual ratio to his company's result.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    disclaimer: If any of this is explained in the full article sorry I didn''t read the full article.

It didn't say the first time they got escrow back, just the first time they got the full amount back. They could have gotten 7% back every year since 1999 for all we know.

How do we know it was because of an influx of revenue?
    Good points. Thanks to Wintermute (and Larry Coon) for clearing this up.

So with this added clarification, do you think this helps the player's Union in negotiations?
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 07-14-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    btw 8% of your annual income equals a full month wage, nothing to describe as chump change, on any income level that is substantial, think of your boss keeping it from your salary to make sure his wage cost stay in percentual ratio to his company's result.
    In the Real World it is called "pay for results" and happens all the time.
    BillS

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Good points. Thanks to Wintermute (and Larry Coon) for clearing this up.

So with this added clarification, do you think this helps the player's Union in negotiations?
    I think this only helps the players in that it makes it easier for them to hold out longer.