Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're hiring Kevin Pritchard...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So we're hiring Kevin Pritchard...

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/30520342

Posted by Matt Moore

Kevin Pritchard has surprisingly been out of pro basketball for a bit. The assistant GM and later General Manager of the Blazers' resurgence was known for his uncanny ability to create beneficial trades that netted good young asset after good young asset for Portland. He was fired in 2010 for, well, whatever it is Paul Allen fires people for (also known as the Cho Effect). Perhaps his most notable mistake was drafting Greg Oden over Kevin Durant, which wouldn't have been so bad were the Basketball Gods not have it in for Oden. Or at least his knees.

Pritchard didn't pop up in a new position right away, fueling talk that it was his stubborn approach and "arrogant" attitude as several Portland reports suggested that talked his way out of a job. But it would appear that his time in purgatory has come to an end. Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star reports that the Pacers are "in the process of hiring" Pritchard to work with President of Basektball Operations Larry Bird and General Manager David Morway.

Pritchard has worked with the Pacers in the past, including in the past year. He's very tight with that organization so this isn't really a shock. It's conceivable that with Larry Bird very much on the fence about his future past this season, that Pritchard could be being put in line to take the reins once Bird retires. Morway would head to the President of Basketball Operations position and Pritchard would then handle GM duties.

It gives the Pacers a more forward-thinking element in the front-office compared to Bird's very old school approach. And having someone who can handle the media without looking like he wants to stab all of them can't hurt either. The Pacers in the past 30 days have hired the coach that helped get them to the playoffs and about as impressive a five-game series loss to the top overall seed as you can find, the former assistant coach under Phil Jackson in L.A., and Pritchard. The infrastructure is there. The talent core is there (even if a star is still missing). Now they just need a season to test the new engine.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I thought we'd already hired (I don't know his name) one of the top advanced stat guys out there already; a couple of years ago, I think?
    And Pritchard isn't the guy to do the math behind the statistics. He's the guy that uses those statistics.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Seriously guys, screw this lockout. I'm pretty damn excited, whole new era on the horizon.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I am excited that the Pacers have been able to recruit some quality people in Brian Shaw and Kevin Pritchard. Brian Shaw could easily be a head coach and KP has proven himself worthy to be a general manager. This says a lot about this organization.

I feel great about a lot of the players the Pacers have. I really believe this team is close to being one of the best teams in the league. When the Pacers were one of the best teams in the league they had depth and that is what they need again.

A lot of good pieces are in place. Most are still on their rookie contracts. The difficult part will be keeping everyone together. The new CBA might make it impossible for the Pacers to keep some of the guys.

KP got things done while he was in Portland. Overall I think he did a good job. It is easy to say what he should have done after the fact but I think most GMs would have done the same things as KP as far as draft Oden and re-sign Roy.

I have some concerns with how everyone will work together but I do trust Larry's judgment. Most coaches usually improve from each job to the next and I hope that KP does the same moving from one front office to another.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

It's a risk when you think there's a chance his knee is done. It's just dumb when you KNOW his knee is done.
    Did they? They knew this player was done, yet gave him a massive contract? I can't believe that.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

But I thought we'd already hired (I don't know his name) one of the top advanced stat guys out there already; a couple of years ago, I think?
    That was Kevin Pelton, who did some consulting for us.

I think it's different though when it's a key member of the front office who's a stat guy. Like Morey in Houston. Or Cuban driving advanced stats in Dallas. Not the same sort of emphasis that a part-time consultant can give you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

And from everything I've come across on it, this is as close to 100% as you can get short of his leg falling off.

maybe now, but they re-signed him two years ago. Sure they new he had knee problems, but it doesn't seem to me that they knew the extent of the knee problems two years ago

They did not know two years ago that his knee was done

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...tract/related/

Pritchard told listeners that the Blazers were aware of Roy’s knee issues (read: meniscus=over, long-term implications= very yes) prior to the signing and elected to grant Roy the extension anyway.

The decision seems curious at this point, because Roy has missed so much time and had surgery on his knees now, and there have been questions about whether Roy will still be able to play even five years down the line. But if we back up to 2009, it seems less crazy. Roy had just come off his best season in 2008-2009, and looked every bit the franchise star.

Pritchard said part of the decision to re-sign Roy was based off of his free-agent eligibility the following year. If Roy had stayed healthy in 09-10, he would have garnered a longer-term contract for the max, so in reality, the Blazers were getting a deal there. Second, Pritchard revealed that the portion of Roy’s contract that isn’t guaranteed was used to purchase a secondary insurance option, which covers Roy in entirety. As such, that mitigates the financial impact of having to pay Roy that contract, though the money counts against the cap all the same.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-08-2011 at 11:49 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
    You know, if Oden and Roy were healthy, I actually that's a team that could have been a contender.
    I agree.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

My guess is that while the long term medical outlook on Roy was bad, they had information saying that he could play at his All Star level for at least over half the contract. Or maybe they were looking ahead to the amnesty clause in the next CBA to potentially be able to knock him off the cap. It definitely won't hurt Paul Allen any.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Did they? They knew this player was done, yet gave him a massive contract? I can't believe that.
    I think the information that tells me he was done was known, but I don't think they wanted to believe it. Roy was so important to them.

We've had more exciting changes and progress in the past four months than the past three seasons combined.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

WojYahooNBA

As @MikeWellsNBA reports, Pacers hiring ex-Portland GM Kevin Pritchard in front office. He'll be Dir. of Player Personnel, sources say.

WojYahooNBA

Pritchard will work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway. Pritchard and Bird go back to the Boston Celtics together.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

I think the information that tells me he was done was known, but I don't think they wanted to believe it. Roy was so important to them.

Read the articlew I just posted a few posts back. They didn't know two years ago that his knees were done, he was coming off his best season

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Read the articlew I just posted a few posts back. They didn't know two years ago that his knees were done, he was coming off his best season

Even if Pritchard knew, these are the risks you take if you're Portland, or Indiana, or Minnesota. You're not luring in big free agents, so the only way you build into contention is through the draft and trades. And if you're in Portland's position, you're not building anything through the draft.

The potential loss of Roy to free agency might be the bigger risk to the franchise than the potential loss of Roy to injuries.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Pacers definitely serious about building on their recent foundation, assembling a championship contending squad within the next three or four years. If Larry's original three year plan was to make the playoffs again, Larry's/Pritchard's next three year plan should be building a legitimate contender.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I am excited that the Pacers have been able to recruit some quality people in Brian Shaw and Kevin Pritchard. Brian Shaw could easily be a head coach and KP has proven himself worthy to be a general manager. This says a lot about this organization.
    I agree. Not too long ago, the Pacers were mired in mediocrity. And before that, we were the Jail Pacers!

Now, it seems like we've turned the corner and are attracting quality front office and coaching talent. Could quality players be next? Exciting to think about.

WojYahooNBA

Pacers have an excellent scouting staff, and that's a strength of Pritchard's. Will be interesting to see if, at all, chemistry is affected.

WojYahooNBA

Pritchard's now in enviornment where owner isn't going to buy a draft pick for $3M every time you want to move up. This is the real world.
    Last edited by BPump33; 07-08-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    WojYahooNBA

As @MikeWellsNBA reports, Pacers hiring ex-Portland GM Kevin Pritchard in front office. He'll be Dir. of Player Personnel, sources say.

WojYahooNBA

Pritchard will work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway. Pritchard and Bird go back to the Boston Celtics together.
    More from WojYahooNBA:

Pacers have an excellent scouting staff, and that's a strength of Pritchard's. Will be interesting to see if, at all, chemistry is affected.
    Well, if Pritchard's heading up our scouting department, that's a great place to use him, I think.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The Trail Blazers were aware that Brandon Roy had bad knees when they drafted him in 2006, and they knew he had no meniscus left in either knee when they gave him a five-year, $82 million maximum contract last summer, team president Larry Miller said on Thursday.

Roy, 26, is sitting out the second of three consecutive games tonight because of swelling and pain in his left knee. Roy revealed last week that after his 2008 surgery on his left knee, and the 2010 surgery on his right knee, he no longer had meniscus in either knee.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._miller_1.html

no way in hell i would of resigned Reggie with no meniscus. I mean every time he jumps or moves his knees hurt. Just bad business. I understand how hard it would be because he is the franchise. I mean they are in a situation that we were in with JO terrible business move Now Roy will probably be hated in Portland after his career is done for being so over paid for so long like JO. I would offer him a deal for some money like MLE money but no way in hell a max level deal

That is a terrible move by Pritchard that makes me if i am a Blazer fan!!!!!!

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

This is very exciting indeed. The fact that we're attracting this level of leadership talent is a very, very good sign indeed.

Neither Bird nor Morway are data guys. This is where basketball is headed, and so having him behind the scenes is fantastic, IMO.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1201676&

FWIW, I talked with someone pretty high in the organization recently, and when asked directly, they had the following opinions:

1) It's clear that Morway would like to continue working for the Pacers, but it's almost certain that he will not be retained after this year

2) The chances of Pritchard coming in as GM are "50:50"

3) Bird continues to keep his cards close to his chest as to whether he'll come back or not, and most people in administration don't know one way or the other

4) If we make the playoffs this year, there's a "strong chance" that Vogel will be retained, especially in a lockout constrained circumstance.

5) The Collison trade was almost 100% Morway's doing. Bird said he liked Collison, Morway took care of the rest. In fact, this is typically how trades go down. Bird states the talent that would help rebuild the team, and Morway finds a way to make it work.

Was neat to get into some of these specifics. Remember, this is an opinion from someone in the org, not fact.
    Looks as if most all of this is coming to fruition.
    Last edited by docpaul; 07-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

WojYahooNBA

Huge time for Pacers. Strong young roster. Great pickup in George Hill. Salary cap space. They have a real chance to make a move in East.

Man, I love reading stuff like this.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

I knew this would happen, seem all too easy for them to just say Pritchard was just scouting for them on that West Coast road trip. Who does that? And why would it even be reported? And why haven't we heard about similar things in past years.

I'm a happy Pacer fan now. He is a really good GM and he is gonna help turn all that cap space into some really creative trades for a good PF.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in..._miller_1.html

no way in hell i would of resigned Reggie with no meniscus
    Reggie? No, but then again we're talking about Reggie in the 90s and if you even tore your ACL it was a pretty devestating injury that might even end your career.

But this is the 2000's and meniscus replacement surgery is pretty common, and isn't that big of a deal.

They can give you two completely brand new (to you atleast) menisci if you injury both beyond repair.

The damage he's done to his knees are fixable, but he continues to inflict more damage, which IMO means it's more of a mechanics issue more than merely his body breaking down for some reason.

These aren't cut and dry scenarios. They're fixable, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Say Portland went the other way, and let Roy walk. What would have happened if he would have stayed healthy?

Obviously Portland thought the reward was bigger than the risk. But let's not act like he's had a career ending injury and Portland was just too dumb to acknowledge it.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

UB this is what a no meniscus does.......

but having no meniscus means that he has nothing to absorb any shock to the knee,

so best case scenario is he can play part time at 80% IMO

really you cant put your team in cap hell like that. I don't care if it was Jordan with the Bull who had the same problem. This is a move that potentially ruined the Blazers championship hopes. You just cant give him a big contact that is one of the worst contracts of all time. Because the BLAZERS KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO. Whats the point of having a team doctor if your just gonna ignore him?

MikeWellsNBA

Pritchard is one of the people Jim Morris called about when looking at potential replacements for Bird a few months ago.