Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: So we're hiring Kevin Pritchard...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: So we're hiring Kevin Pritchard...

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you don't see Bird as "no nonsense" I honestly don't know what to tell you. Too loyal, too patient, unwilling to gamble (despite plenty of them), sure. But giving a guy that completely turned around the culture of this franchise, which JOB ABSOLUTELY DID, one last chance to capture the hearts and minds, I'm sorry, it's just obtuse. JIM O'BRIEN DESERVED HIS OPTION, and then he blew it.
    Not sure how you reconcile this with post #220 (which I thanked).

Loyalty is great, but coaching a team is at least 50 percent of the equation, even if JOB did indeed change the culture successfully.

The evidence was all there when Bird extended JOB that the bball side of the equation was severely lacking. Not to fire him a year later revealed that Larry Bird has a blind spot. I don't care how many rings he has.

I've theorized for years that the "no nonsense" player Larry Bird is different from the BBall Exec Larry Bird. When it comes to relationships (Artest, JOB, etc) Bird can be a softie, and it clouds his judgement.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 07-11-2011 at 07:58 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Toronto narrowing its list of GM candidates
    Don't expect any movement on the Toronto general manager's search for a couple of weeks. Team president Bryan Colangelo was in Europe last week and won't start whittling down his group of candidates until the middle of the month. Sixers GM Ed Stefanski, former Hornets GM and coach Jeff Bower and Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are among the candidates, but former Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard is also believed to be in the hunt and is a strong candidate. Pritchard took a player personnel job with the Pacers earlier this summer, but has an out in his deal that would allow him to leave if a GM job became available.
    http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Umm...I'd rather hold on to KP.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Umm...I'd rather hold on to KP.

Well duh, but it appears that it isn't entirely up to us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pritchard is staying!

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
    Ed Stefanski is expected be hired as the next general manager of the Toronto Raptors, according to league sources.
    22 minutes ago
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Pritchard will be OUR next GM I'm sure and David Morway will be promoted to president of basketball operations. (If/when Bird leaves.)

We have a quality GM already here in Pritchard so there's no reason to go find someone else again if/when Bird goes.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Nice.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Pritchard is staying!

AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
    Ed Stefanski is expected be hired as the next general manager of the Toronto Raptors, according to league sources.
    22 minutes ago
    not so fast Stefanski wont be there next GM. Kevin is still among the top candidates.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._search_101411

I still think Bower is higher on their wishlist than Pritchard is if Stefanski doesn't end up getting the gig.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

In the past several days, sources said, this development has caused former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower to re-emerge at the forefront of the search. Another candidate that shouldn’t be ruled out, sources said, is Indiana Pacers executive Kevin Pritchard, former GM of the Portland Trail Blazers.
    Considering that Bower left New Orleans over a year ago, I'd would think that hole has been filled, even for a team owned by the league.

Wasn't the new GM there the guy who claimed the player that Bower signed just before he left failed his physical even though he was fine (Luther Head I think)?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Considering that Bower left New Orleans over a year ago, I'd would think that hole has been filled, even for a team owned by the league.

Wasn't the new GM there the guy who claimed the player that Bower signed just before he left failed his physical even though he was fine (Luther Head I think)?
    My bad. Why would TOR want him? That guy ruined the Hornets signing bad deal after bad deal. Posey, Ariza, Peja the list goes on and on. My buddy worked with the Hornets with that guy and got fired along with him as the video coordinator.

also if Ed left did they already have a GM in waiting in Philly or who was taking over there?
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-14-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Ed hasn't resigned in Philly yet. If he doesn't get the gig in Toronto I assume he's going back at least for this year.

And Bower didn't do a half bad job with New Orleans. Of course CP3 also helps some.

Looks like Stefanski to Toronto is done:

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Y! Sources: The Toronto Raptors are finalizing an agreement with Ed Stefanski to make him VP of Basketball Ops.
    3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Stefanski will report to Raptors president/GM Bryan Colangelo, who will still run basketball operations.
    4 hours ago

Stefanski still has to meet with Toronto ownership, but a formality. Deal could be announced by late week. Stefanski had been GM in Philly.
    4 hours ago

Toronto is finalizing an agreement with Ed Stefanski to become Raptors Exec. VP of Basketball Operations, league sources tell Y!

http://tinyurl.com/6enpk3k

The Toronto Raptors are finalizing an agreement with former Philadelphia 76ers general manager Ed Stefanski to take over as the franchise’s executive vice president of basketball operations, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Stefanski, who was fired as the 76ers’ GM a week ago, will report to Raptors president-GM Bryan Colangelo, who will still have final say on basketball matters. Stefanski will ultimately replace Masai Ujiri, who left Toronto to become the Denver Nuggets GM last year.

Colangelo conducted a lengthy search and ultimately targeted Stefanski in recent weeks for the job. Former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower was the runner-up. San Antonio Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey had been a strong candidate, too.

By adding Stefanski and possibly another assistant GM and scouts, the Raptors are restructuring their player personnel department. After missing the playoffs for three straight seasons, Colangelo and new coach Dwane Casey are working with two-year contracts. The Raptors picked one of the world’s top young centers, Jonas Valanciunas(notes), with the fourth pick in the June NBA draft, and he’ll play one season overseas before he’s expected to join Toronto for the 2012-13 season.

Stefanski had been replaced as the 76ers’ top decision maker a year ago by Rod Thorn, and the franchise’s new ownership ushered him out a week ago. Stefanski had the GM title in Philadelphia and New Jersey. With both teams, he was credited with the drafting of several good players, including Richard Jefferson(notes) and Jrue Holiday(notes).
    Let's see what Pritchard will do for us this year!

Yeah, well, Holiday at #17 was a gift.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Let's see what Pritchard will do for us this year!
    Any change in our win-loss record this season, be it positive or negative, will have absolutely nothing to do with Kevin Pritchard.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Any change in our win-loss record this season, be it positive or negative, will have absolutely nothing to do with Kevin Pritchard.
    You thought he was suggesting otherwise?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You thought he was suggesting otherwise?
    That was how I interpreted it.

I could be wrong.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I would hope that any basketball-related hire by the Pacers is made with an eye towards improving the W-L record. Maybe not right away, but certainly down the road (isn't Pritchard supposed to help with scouting?). If Bird and Morway could do the same job without his input, what would be the point of paying him?