Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 177

Thread: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

  1. #151
    The Sweet Sound Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might be on the wrong board then...the address I believe you are looking for is Madantsdigest.com
    If I had Mad Ants on my TV, I'd watch them before watching these spoiled "superstars".

  2. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had Mad Ants on my TV, I'd watch them before watching these spoiled "superstars".
    there is free feeds of there games online

  3. #153
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players aren't going to go to Europe. I will bet any amount of money, or whatever other prize you want. It's not going to happen.

    If they won't sign with the Pacers because it's in Indianapolis, they sure as hell aren't going to go play in Italy, or Greece, or where ever.



    The Euro is crumbling, and it's affecting every single nation's economy there. They do not have the funds to pay big name players a bunch of money, and they certainly don't have the funds to pay multiple big name players a lot of money.
    Well the Turkish club doesn't have to compete with the Pacers because there is a lockout and the Pacers can't even make them an offer. They're only doing this because of the lockout. They are purposely trying to put pressure on the Owners by threatening to go play overseas if they don't start negotiating in their favor. It could be a bluff but I think the players will go overseas if the league cancels games.

    Also, the Euro is still stronger than the dollar isn't it? One Euro will still get you $1.41 bucks in the US.

    5,000,000.00 EUR = 7,076,439.37 USD

    Plus they probably won't even have to pay income taxes or pay less taxes in Turkey than they would in New Jersey and other NBA cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  4. #154
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had Mad Ants on my TV, I'd watch them before watching these spoiled "superstars".
    No one is making you watch the NBA.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  6. #155
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,170

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had Mad Ants on my TV, I'd watch them before watching these spoiled "superstars".
    I would probably pull out a can of Raid...but that's just me.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  8. #156
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    One thing that has not been touched on in regards to superstars bolting for Europe and mid-level stars following them and thus diluting the league's talent is the the idea that sports, like politics is local. If Kobe left LA to go play in italy. There would be a huge backlash in this marketability. I'd imagine people would be burning his jersey on Rodeo drive. Money doesn't buy you respect, fans, sponsors, etc.. So you become a big star in a much smaller pond. ESPN is no longer playing your highlights every night.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  9. #157
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing that has not been touched on in regards to superstars bolting for Europe and mid-level stars following them and thus diluting the league's talent is the the idea that sports, like politics is local. If Kobe left LA to go play in italy. There would be a huge backlash in this marketability. I'd imagine people would be burning his jersey on Rodeo drive. Money doesn't buy you respect, fans, sponsors, etc.. So you become a big star in a much smaller pond. ESPN is no longer playing your highlights every night.
    If the stars go to Europe, ESPN will cover it.

  10. #158

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had Mad Ants on my TV, I'd watch them before watching these spoiled "superstars".
    Lucky you.


  11. #159
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the stars go to Europe, ESPN will cover it.
    How can you say for sure. Yes they will probably report on it for a handful of games, but look the stars become stars because people want to see them, part of that allure is because they can go a game and see them play. After about a year of not being able to see players like Kobe and Lebron actually play basketball in person, they will sure fade from their attention. THen they will turn their attentions and fandom to players they can go and actually watch. Relevancy is all about exposure. For example, I was a big fan of formula 1 for years when they US Grand Prix here in Indy. Thats because its something I could actually go and watch and be a part of. So I had a vested interest in the following the entire series so that I knew what was going on for the race. Once they ended the race here in Indy I just couldn't see myself caring anymore. I couldn't stay up into the wee hours of the morning on the weekend to watch the races. It will be the same thing for European basketball.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 07-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  12. #160
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you say for sure. Yes they will probably report on it for a handful of games, but look the stars become stars because people want to see them, part of that allure is because they can go a game and see them play. After about a year of not being able to see players like Kobe and Lebron actually play basketball in person, they will sure fade from their attention. THen they will turn their attentions and fandom to players they can go and actually watch. Relevancy is all about exposure.
    The whole idea of exposure brings up several options for ESPN though. ESPN typically hypes whatever sports they are playing on TV or have big deals with (think Nascar in the last 4-7yrs...they used to show a highlight or two at the end of Sportscenter on Mondays and now there are days when Dale Jr. or Danica has been one of the leading stories). In this case, ESPN can either keep up with some of the stars in Europe to try and maintain interest for a sport they broadcast, or they can instead use that time to hype a sport they currently air. Realistically, they'll probably go for the second option.

  13. #161
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole idea of exposure brings up several options for ESPN though. ESPN typically hypes whatever sports they are playing on TV or have big deals with (think Nascar in the last 4-7yrs...they used to show a highlight or two at the end of Sportscenter on Mondays and now there are days when Dale Jr. or Danica has been one of the leading stories). In this case, ESPN can either keep up with some of the stars in Europe to try and maintain interest for a sport they broadcast, or they can instead use that time to hype a sport they currently air. Realistically, they'll probably go for the second option.
    I see your point, but I wonder if the Team USA games this past summer got good TV ratings or not? Many of them were shown on ESPN.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  14. #162
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    It's hard to realistically gauge the interest for those games I think. I was very interested but wasn't looking to get up in the middle of the night to watch them live - and then I had usually seen a score by the time of the replay. Durant was the big draw but Love and DRose still weren't as popular then as they are at this point (you never would have seen something like the recent "Love in the Shower" ads then). People still regarded that team as the NBA's B squad.

    The one thing ESPN will do well at is hyping Lebron and the Heat when the league returns, and as much as I hate hearing about them, people are legitimately interested in watching the drama unfold and it promotes the league. The hype surrounding the NBA playoffs this year was great. Most of my friends who don't even watch basketball tuned in to the finals just to see if Lebron would win or lose (and in the process, many of them became Dirk fans).

  15. #163
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's hard to realistically gauge the interest for those games I think. I was very interested but wasn't looking to get up in the middle of the night to watch them live - and then I had usually seen a score by the time of the replay. Durant was the big draw but Love and DRose still weren't as popular then as they are at this point (you never would have seen something like the recent "Love in the Shower" ads then). People still regarded that team as the NBA's B squad.

    The one thing ESPN will do well at is hyping Lebron and the Heat when the league returns, and as much as I hate hearing about them, people are legitimately interested in watching the drama unfold and it promotes the league. The hype surrounding the NBA playoffs this year was great. Most of my friends who don't even watch basketball tuned in to the finals just to see if Lebron would win or lose (and in the process, many of them became Dirk fans).
    In your friends case, it was probably very easiy for them to tune into the finals because the NBA is a known quantity, they atleast have a inkling of knowledge of who the teams are. I would not see that happening with the Euroleague. Sports is local. The people who are really into Nascar, generally have a Nascar race that they can go to.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  16. #164
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    I agree, I'm just hoping they can settle this before the season starts because I feel the NBA has a great level of momentum right now and I fear the league will fade into obscurity again.

  17. #165

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...andal/#respond


    Report: Kobe Bryant was near deal with Besiktas in Turkey prior to match-fixing scandal
    Jul 16, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT
    Leave a comment
    Getty Images
    Hey, so that whole thing about Besiktas being in trouble for football match-fixing?

    Yeah, bad timing on that.

    Jonathan Givony from Draft Express reports that Besiktas was nearing a deal for Kobe Bryant for $450,000 a month. That’s a $250k increase over what Deron Williams is reportedly getting. Which makes sense, since Bryant is arguably the biggest internationally known basketball player in the world.

    So, yeah, having your account frozen, if the earlier report is accurate, that’s a bit of bad luck, that.

    Deron Williams and Kobe Bryant on the same team would be the biggest ticket in Europe for basketball. It would likely open doors to television opportunities and increase sponsorship exponentially. If Besiktas’ personnel is cleared of the charges and Bryant does agree to come over, that changes the whole complexion of their future. It also sends a strong message to the owners that the best players will be going over.

    The problem, naturally is that the $450,000 Besiktas would pay Bryant is money that could go to multiple members of the NBA non-elite, who are the ones that will struggle the most in the lockout. If the players are doing this only for themselves, great, should be a nice working vacation. But if this is being done to try and break ownership, some of that money needs to be spread to the rest of the players. Otherwise, all the stars will be doing is taking away more opportunities for the majority of the union to survive a prolonged lockout.

    Williams and Bryant. He’d finally have a point guard worthy of his talents.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  19. #166
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    It's a shame though. Two of best basketball players, together, in Europe. And we won't even see them against top teams in Euroleague.
    I'm not even sure how to watch full Besiktas games, maybe there'll be some net stream by local fans.

  20. #167
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    looks like it could still happen if they come up with the $, no?

  21. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a shame though. Two of best basketball players, together, in Europe. And we won't even see them against top teams in Euroleague.
    I'm not even sure how to watch full Besiktas games, maybe there'll be some net stream by local fans.
    NBA TV put all there games on when AI was there. I am sure there are streams also

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  23. #169
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    I saw Deron Williams today at the celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe and asked him if he was really gonna go oversea's. He said "we will see" and then gave me his autograph.

    I forgot to tell him to sign with the Pacers in 2012 though

  24. #170
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Deron Williams today at the celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe and asked him if he was really gonna go oversea's. He said "we will see" and then gave me his autograph.

    I forgot to tell him to sign with the Pacers in 2012 though
    u

  25. #171
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Report: Besiktas not after Kobe Bryant
    mark stein, espn link
    The Turkish team that recently reached an agreement to sign All-Star guard Deron Williams if the NBA lockout drags on has placed its pursuit of Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant on hold, according to an overseas report.

    Turkey's NTV Spor reported Monday that Besiktas' basketball funds have been tied up by the match-fixing scandal that has ripped through the Turkish soccer world, forcing Besiktas to search for outside funding to help with the further pursuit of NBA players.



    According to NTV Spor, Besiktas was initially prepared to offer Bryant a monthly salary of $500,000. But Bryant, according to the report, is seeking a monthly salary of $1 million to join Williams. Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard earlier this month that Williams' overall deal with Besiktas is worth $5 million.

    DraftExpress.com first reported over the weekend that Besiktas and Bryant's camp were exchanging financial figures before the growing soccer crisis intervened.

    Any further Besiktas basketball moves, according to the NTV Spor report, will depend on finding a wealthy outside sponsor. It remains to be seen, though, whether Bryant's own endorsement deal with Turkish Airlines can eventually help him land a deal with Besiktas or another Turkish club to give him a temporary new home should the lockout extend into October.

    Williams tweeted a picture Friday of his signed Besiktas contract. There has been no indication yet that the financial problems suddenly confronting Besiktas because of the soccer scandal will impact Williams' deal with the Istanbul club, which has faced FIBA sanctions as recently as the 2009-10 season for not paying American players (Lonny Baxter and Kevin Fletcher) on time.

    The deals Besiktas has offered Williams and Bryant include an out clause permitting the players to return immediately to the NBA once the lockout is lifted.

    Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
    looks like its not completely out of the question

  26. #172

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    According to latest news, Kobe Bryant is going to Besiktas...Kind of Besiktas found finances and the team will pay 300.000$ per month and Turkish airlines will pay the rest (700.000$)
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  27. #173
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Blazers pick Diebler signs 1-yr deal with Greek team. Unlike Moore's contract, no opt out.

  28. #174
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Jon Leuer, Bucks 2nd Rounder, to German team, with opt out clause (same agent as E'twaun).

  29. #175
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    summary of those signed so far, with contracts/teams.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_bf3_a2
    author unknown (SI.com)
    Jeff Adrien
    Old Team: Golden State Warriors (free agent) | Position: SF
    New Team: Benetton Treviso (Italy) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out clause


    David Andersen
    Old Team: New Orleans Hornets | Position: F-C
    New Team: Montepaschi Siena (Italy) | Reported Deal: Three years, no opt-out


    Hilton Armstrong
    Old Team: Atlanta Hawks (free agent) | Position: F-C
    New Team: ASVEL Villeurbanne (France) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Nicolas Batum
    Old Team: Portland Trail Plazers | Position: G-F
    New Team: SLUC Nancy (France) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Trevor Booker
    Old Team: Washington Wizards | Position: PF
    New Team: Bnei Hasharon (Israel) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Jon Diebler
    Old Team: Portland Trail Blazers | Position: SG
    New Team: Panionios (Greece) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Jordan Farmar
    Old Team: New Jersey Nets | Position: PG
    New Team: Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Israel) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Trey Johnson
    Old Team: Los Angeles Lakers | Position: SG
    New Team: Teramo (Italy) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Nenad Krstic
    Old Team: Boston Celtics (free agent) | Position: C
    New Team: CSKA Moscow (Russia) | Reported Deal: Two years, no opt-out


    Acie Law
    Old Team: Golden State Warriors (free agent) | Position: PG
    New Team: Partizan Belgrade (Serbia) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Jon Leuer
    Old Team: Milwaukee Bucks | Position: F
    New Team: Skyliners Frankfurt (Germany) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    E'Twaun Moore
    Old Team: Boston Celtics | Position: G
    New Team: Benetton Treviso (Italy) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Timofey Mozgov
    Old Team: Denver Nuggets | Position: C
    New Team: Khimki Moscow (Russia) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Chris Quinn
    Old Team: San Antonio Spurs (free agent) | Position: G
    New Team: Khimki Moscow (Russia) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Mustafa Shakur
    Old Team: Washington Wizards (free agent) | Position: PG
    New Team: Pau-Orthez (France) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Darius Songaila
    Old Team: Philadelphia 76ers (free agent) | Position: F-C
    New Team: Galatasaray (Turkey) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    DaJuan Summers
    Old Team: Detroit Pistons (free agent) | Position: F
    New Team: Montepaschi Siena (Italy) | Reported Deal: Two years, opt-out after one


    Garett Temple
    Old Team: Charlotte Bobcats (free agent) | Position: G
    New Team: Casale (Italy) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Sasha Vujacic
    Old Team: New Jersey Nets (free agent) | Position: SG
    New Team: Anadolu Efes (Turkey) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Von Wafer
    Old Team: Boston Celtics (free agent) | Position: G
    New Team: Venoli Cremona (Italy) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Sonny Weems
    Old Team: Toronto Raptors (restricted free agent) | Position: G-F
    New Team: Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania) | Reported Deal: One year, no opt-out


    Deron Williams
    Old Team: New Jersey Nets | Position: PG
    New Team: Besiktas (Turkey) | Reported Deal: One year, with opt-out


    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1UJEpd9jJ
    the NBA cannot survive the loss of Timofey Mozgorov. Thank God for the opt out clause/

Similar Threads

  1. Scott Van Pelt influence of Jordan Williams to go pro?
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
  5. Shawne Williams
    By reast57 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •