Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 177

Thread: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

  1. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Im sorry forum Police that we didn't do it EXACTLY your way. Christ.
    PD's Police calling another person forum police?

  2. #77
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    A lengthy lockout with the hard cap in place will definitely be a huge positive for us in having a shot at landing Deron Williams.

    He said he wouldn't mind and would listen about re-signing with the Nets.

    I'm not thinking too deeply into his signing with Turkey.

    Either he'll not be in the NBA for a season with a season causing the Nets really suck or there won't be an NBA season at all.

    Either way, he's still going to be one of the big names in the FA market in 2012 and I'd love to get.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................... .

    New Jersey is a hop skip & a jump away from NYC, so I'm not sure that your use of Jersey is proper.
    Although my use of the pronoun "I" was proper because I was talking about myself. If I had the choice I'd rather live in Istanbul than New York as well, so your point is moot.

  4. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,917

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    It will be interesting to see if FIBA allows this. If they choose to not allow players under NBA contract to play even though they are locked out, then the union has no power in this. FIBA could care less about the NBA players union.

  5. #80
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,178

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club


  6. #81
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,141

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although my use of the pronoun "I" was proper because I was talking about myself. If I had the choice I'd rather live in Istanbul than New York as well, so your point is moot.
    Just curious. Have you been to both Istanbul and New York? Just to be clear, I wonder if I would prefer Istanbul as well.

    I've been to New York and New Jersey and I have no interest in returning there. But I am certain there are far worse places to live all over the world. What we may think as run down, hectic and densely populated is hardly that compared to many other parts of the world.

    BTW, my brother-in-law lives in Chicago (a very nice city IMHO) and his standard of living and quality of life is not as good in some ways compared to Indy. He could double the size of his house and halve his commute if he moved to Indy. His life is simply more stressful there than it would be in Indy. JMHO.

  7. #82
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    I think some poster's brains joined the players in being locked out.

  8. #83
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    406

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW, my brother-in-law lives in Chicago (a very nice city IMHO) and his standard of living and quality of life is not as good in some ways compared to Indy. He could double the size of his house and halve his commute if he moved to Indy. His life is simply more stressful there than it would be in Indy. JMHO.
    If it were in any way possible for me to do my job in Indy, I would move back from Chicago in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it is not. Chicago is a fine city, I just prefer Indy in many ways.

    The bottom line here is that these preferences are very personal. I am not sure what kind of progress we can make debating which city people we have never met would prefer to live in.

  9. #84
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,141

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it were in any way possible for me to do my job in Indy, I would move back from Chicago in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it is not. Chicago is a fine city, I just prefer Indy in many ways.

    The bottom line here is that these preferences are very personal. I am not sure what kind of progress we can make debating which city people we have never met would prefer to live in.
    Agreed. There are some very interesting opportunities in Chicago that simply do not exist in Indianapolis. Depending on your situation, you might find one or the other the better way to go. My particular background and education would open untold avenues if I moved to the Windy City...

  10. #85
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although my use of the pronoun "I" was proper because I was talking about myself. If I had the choice I'd rather live in Istanbul than New York as well, so your point is moot.
    Fair enough.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  11. #86

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    I remember reading this article in print at the library by "Player X" indicating several NBA stars fully intend to go overseas.

    I fully expect more names to come up over the next few months.

  12. #87
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Paul George just tweeted this, "Just signed my deal to play overseas baby!!!!!"

    Is this a joke? (Edit - It was a joke! Sorry!)

    Source: http://twitter.com/#!/King24George
    Last edited by 317Kim; 07-08-2011 at 01:01 AM.

  13. #88
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Broussard:
    Sources say Deron Williams' one-year deal in Turkey is worth $5 million.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussar...78020253548544

    That's more like it. Still, lowish.

  14. #89

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    It's a brilliant move by Williams..if a couple of more stars do this..the owners are going to have to crack a bit.

  15. #90
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a brilliant move by Williams..if a couple of more stars do this..the owners are going to have to crack a bit.
    Why? Deron is going overseas to go play for 5 mil. The owners can offer him 8 mil and they would end up saving MORE money than they're shooting for now.

    All this is doing is cutting the players throat, because they're showing they're willing to play for less. A LOT less.

    EDIT: I mean even at 5mil for the entire season, instead of the reported 2.4mil he's still taking an 11mil per season pay cut. If he did that here in the States, the owners would sign off on that deal in less than a second.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  17. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Deron is going overseas to go play for 5 mil. The owners can offer him 8 mil and they would end up saving MORE money than they're shooting for now.

    All this is doing is cutting the players throat, because they're showing they're willing to play for less. A LOT less.

    EDIT: I mean even at 5mil for the entire season, instead of the reported 2.4mil he's still taking an 11mil per season pay cut. If he did that here in the States, the owners would sign off on that deal in less than a second.
    it is more like 10m IMO it is tax free with housing and a car and i assume other expenses .

  18. #92
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Deron is going overseas to go play for 5 mil. The owners can offer him 8 mil and they would end up saving MORE money than they're shooting for now.

    All this is doing is cutting the players throat, because they're showing they're willing to play for less. A LOT less.

    EDIT: I mean even at 5mil for the entire season, instead of the reported 2.4mil he's still taking an 11mil per season pay cut. If he did that here in the States, the owners would sign off on that deal in less than a second.
    It really makes no sense. They are over here arguing over having to take pay cuts, but then they go overseas where they take...a huge pay cut.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  20. #93
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Why would the owners crack? If stars keep playing, it doesn't really hurt the owners...
    Maybe a particular owner if their player gets hurt.

    The stars preserve their brands by playing overseas, maybe even attract new fans.
    Long term, that only helps NBA to recover from the lockout faster.
    It's a star driven league, and when stars work on their brand during NBA's offseason instead of eating vaseline or getting arrested - that's always a good thing for business.

    Owners always knew some guys will find jobs overseas. If Kobe and Deron stay in the center of attention for basketball reasons, it's not a bad thing for the owners.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  22. #94
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it is more like 10m IMO it is tax free with housing and a car and i assume other expenses .
    I think you have it backwards. He's getting $200,000 per month, which equals 2.4mil for the year. When you add in all the extra crap he's getting that $2.4mil turns into $5mil.

  23. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really makes no sense. They are over here arguing over having to take pay cuts, but then they go overseas where they take...a huge pay cut.
    I wouldn't call this a pay cut. Less money than he would be getting in the NBA season, sure, but it's not like its an either or option right now.

  24. #96

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Deron is going overseas to go play for 5 mil. The owners can offer him 8 mil and they would end up saving MORE money than they're shooting for now.

    All this is doing is cutting the players throat, because they're showing they're willing to play for less. A LOT less.

    EDIT: I mean even at 5mil for the entire season, instead of the reported 2.4mil he's still taking an 11mil per season pay cut. If he did that here in the States, the owners would sign off on that deal in less than a second.
    No, it's showing that they'll go play elsewhere if they don't get what they want. It's also showing that the players won't crack if they run out of money..they'll go get a job overseas.

    "Fine, you don't want to pay us what you are capable of paying us, we'll go elsewhere" The NBA can't be successful if the best players are playing in other countries. That's the threat to the owners.

    Now New Jersey gets to sit and pray Williams doesn't get hurt and doesn't prefer Turkey.

  25. #97
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    You're missing the bigger point.

    The NBPA is saying that DWill is owed $16.5mil, which is what he would get this season. The NBA is saying no, we think he should get $12mil, roughly.

    The NBPA is declines that offer, and then DWill goes and takes a job that is paying him $5mil.

    He's shown that he is willing to play for $5mil. If he's willing to play for $5mil, then he's certainly willing to play for $12mil.

    All the NBA needs to do is hold on to that offer of $12mil offer. The NBA is still offering him more money to do the exact same job as what he could get anywhere else in the world.

    It makes no sense to refuse a $4mil paycut, and then accept a $11.5mil paycut.

    At the end of the day, players are going to chose which league offers them more money. Clearly the NBA is able to pay them more, eventhough they're not going to be getting paid as much as what they were.

    Money talks, and the NBA has lots more than anyone else.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  27. #98
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,230

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the bigger point.

    The NBPA is saying that DWill is owed $16.5mil, which is what he would get this season. The NBA is saying no, we think he should get $12mil, roughly.

    The NBPA is declines that offer, and then DWill goes and takes a job that is paying him $5mil.

    He's shown that he is willing to play for $5mil. If he's willing to play for $5mil, then he's certainly willing to play for $12mil.

    All the NBA needs to do is hold on to that offer of $12mil offer. The NBA is still offering him more money to do the exact same job as what he could get anywhere else in the world.

    It makes no sense to refuse a $4mil paycut, and then accept a $11.5mil paycut.

    At the end of the day, players are going to chose which league offers them more money. Clearly the NBA is able to pay them more, eventhough they're not going to be getting paid as much as what they were.

    Money talks, and the NBA has lots more than anyone else.
    You're comparing apples and oranges here.

    For one, Deron is not getting a market value contract here, as ballism has been pointing out. He's getting a contract which says that any time the NBA lockout ends, he can leave. That is in no way comparable to his multiyear NBA contract.

    For comparison, check out the contract Krstic got - 2 years $9.8m from CSKA. Obviously there's more money available in Europe, but that money won't be available for players who aren't planning to stay in Europe long term.

    I think of Deron's move as more of a promotional tour than a serious signing. He'll go over, play a few games, win a few fans, then come back to his NBA day job. Ditto for the Turkish team, getting Deron is more about PR and fan interest than becoming more competitive.

    IMO a few players going to Europe won't significantly affect CBA negotiations, either way. Yeah you can argue it relieves some of the financial pressure on players. But frankly there's not enough money in Europe or Asia to employ some 400+ NBA players.

  28. #99
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    With what is going on in Europe, I seriously doubt that many teams are able to offer players the level of money a team like CSKA Moscow can.

    And while it might be apples to oranges, you can bet that the owners are going to use this signing, and others, as leverage. They're going to argue that the players are willing to play for a significant amout less than what the NBA is currently offering. And I don't know how you're saying it isn't "market value." The NBA is the only market that can offer such a high level of value. NBA players aren't going to go overseas to play basketball, especially when they can recieve more money from the NBA. Josh Childress should have put that argument to rest.

    The apples to oranges argument might work for the NBPA, but it certainly won't help their overall argument that the players shouldn't lose money in order for NBA teams to get their financial houses in order.

    I can see where the argument doesn't have much value for the league, but there's no way that it's going to be beneificial to the NBPA.

  29. #100

    Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the bigger point.

    The NBPA is saying that DWill is owed $16.5mil, which is what he would get this season. The NBA is saying no, we think he should get $12mil, roughly.

    The NBPA is declines that offer, and then DWill goes and takes a job that is paying him $5mil.

    He's shown that he is willing to play for $5mil. If he's willing to play for $5mil, then he's certainly willing to play for $12mil.

    All the NBA needs to do is hold on to that offer of $12mil offer. The NBA is still offering him more money to do the exact same job as what he could get anywhere else in the world.

    It makes no sense to refuse a $4mil paycut, and then accept a $11.5mil paycut.

    At the end of the day, players are going to chose which league offers them more money. Clearly the NBA is able to pay them more, eventhough they're not going to be getting paid as much as what they were.

    Money talks, and the NBA has lots more than anyone else.
    No, that's not the case.

    The players know that the league can offer them more than the 12 million. They also know that the NBA can't survive with the best players in the world playing elsewhere.

    The power the NBA had was that the NBA players consider the NBA to be the preferred league, and weren't looking to go elsewhere.

    This signing could start a trend. Wasn't Italy or Russia offering Kobe what amounted to about 50 Million to play there? Suppose Kobe's next. More players might follow.

    Now you have a situation where the NBA needs the players more than the players need the NBA. That's the bigger picture. The NBA has the arrogance to think that the players will just accept what they give them, because it's the NBA. And if the players are overseas making money, they don't need the NBA to start again.

    Essentially, the NBA loses it's main source of power in this fight.

    edit: But there's no leverage.
    "You took a 12 Million decrease in salary over there"
    "Right, and I'll do it again unless you give me what I want."

Similar Threads

  1. Scott Van Pelt influence of Jordan Williams to go pro?
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
  5. Shawne Williams
    By reast57 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •