Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

Hybrid View

Default Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/report-d...per-month.html

Deron Williams has found a team.

The NBA star has reportedly agreed to terms with Turkish club Besiktas in principle, according to TalkBasket.net, which credits NTV Spor.

By joining Besiktas, he has the opportunity to leave the club to return Stateside if and when the NBA lockout is lifted next season.

Williams, who would be receiving $16.5 million this upcoming season, according to JazzHoops.net, will reportedly receive $200,000 per month.

Default Re: Deron Williams Signs with Turkish Club

Wow. Didn't think anyone like him would go over seas. Especially not this quickly.

Naturally, it makes perfect sense that he'll be free to come back to the Nets as soon as the season begins.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kinda weird how the NBPA is holding out, because they don't want rollbacks on contracts yet DWill would only make 2.4mil for the entire year, assuming they'd pay him out of season.

He's taking a $14mil paycut for one season.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I'll believe it when it's signed. Non-Euroleague team, 2.4 mil. Come on, can't he do a little better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll believe it when it's signed. Non-Euroleague team, 2.4 mil. Come on, can't he do a little better.
    It's for how many games though? 24 at the most? That's easy money.

If the lockout shortens the season and he misses game checks, this will off-set that. Plus when the lockout ends, he can just go back to the NBA and collect more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    It's for how many games though? 24 at the most? That's easy money.

If the lockout shortens the season and he misses game checks, this will off-set that. Plus when the lockout ends, he can just go back to the NBA and collect more money.
    It's 50-70 games if we are talking full season. Depends on how deep they go in Eurocup, Turkish playoffs etc.

My point is that it's less than way lesser players are getting.
    And if it's not about salary, then there are 50 much better options.
    Last edited by ballism; 07-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.

I think it's credible just because Bsiktas doesn't play the EL.
    Those teams who do usually don't like to take such a gamble that their star player, team cornerstone, can run back to the US midseason.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    LOL, watch him mess up his knee playing in a 3rd world country.
    What?
    Last edited by Marlin; 07-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Those teams who do usually don't like to take such a gamble that their star player, team cornerstone, can run back to the US midseason.
    Hmm I'm not even sure where to begin.

What about top 10 players in the world, Euroleague teams wouldn't risk on those either?

And what are you implying, only EuroLeague teams are looking to win, all the other teams are just show offs?

And exactly what does a 'risk' mean, btw? Not like there's a cap limit. Get a Deron Williams AND keep Omar Cook or Nick Calathes, I can't see the big problem. Especially when you are paying those guys more than D-Williams is asking, anyway.

Hmm I'm not even sure where to begin.

What about top 10 players in the world, Euroleague teams wouldn't risk on those either?
    Top Euroleague teams? No, they wouldn't. I'm sure you know Barcelona, Real or Pana payrolls, and adding yet another great player for half a season isn't worth the price. They know they can get to the top 16 either way, and in their own championship it's not about being great till Jauary.

When Bryant was rumored to be interested in Europe, back in the spring, in case of lockout, the team he was accosted to was Milan. Not exactly one of the top teams, budget and history notwithstanding. And no it didn't have to do with Jelly Bean being there back in the days.

And what are you implying, only EuroLeague teams are looking to win, all the other teams are just show offs?
    Where did I state or imply that?
    I just said that adding a player like that to a lower level team is less of a gamble. And a greater impact, both on and off the floor.

And exactly what does a 'risk' mean, btw? Not like there's a cap limit. Get a Deron Williams AND keep Omar Cook or Nick Calathes, I can't see the big problem. Especially when you are paying those guys more than D-Williams is asking, anyway.
    Risk is just the guy bolting for the States midseason.
    As you said, the Cooks, the Rodriguezs, earn more than a Williams. Now you tell me, what do top EL teams have to gain by signing Deron for half a season, basically adding big money to the payroll without being sure that when it counts that player will be there making a difference?

You know very well that no cap limit doesn't mean spend whatever money you can imagine. Especially now. Especially in Spain (with banks less willing to back major sports teams) and Greece.

The only team I'm doubting my position for is CSKA, and it's for a different reason.
    Last edited by Marlin; 07-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.

From what I've read players under contract need clearance from USA basketball since FIBA requires such from the home country. I have almost no understanding of this whole deal, but I've read its not just as simple as signing a contract you need clearance and the FIBA has to accept it.

If this does happen, I wonder what kind of pressure this starts to put on the league to make things happen, if at all. For instance if I'm Russian Mark Cuban, I'm more ready to get this settled so my best player isn't playing in something that may get him hurt. Just spitballing on this.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Marc Stein also reporting it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6745426

New Jersey Nets guard Deron Williams is planning to play in Turkey in the fall if the NBA lockout has not yet been settled, according to sources with knowledge of Williams' thinking.

Sources on Thursday confirmed a report from the Turkey-based sports outlet NTV Spor that Williams has struck an agreement in principal to play for Besiktas, which is the club that briefly employed Allen Iverson last season.

Sources say Williams will not be required to report to the Turkish club before the end of August or early September and that his deal with them will include an immediate out that allows him to return to the NBA as soon as the work stoppage ends.

Williams has two years left on his contract with the Nets but is expected to opt out the final season, valued at nearly $18 million, to become a free agent in the summer of 2012.

Players under contract like Williams would typically need a letter clearance from FIBA -- the sport's world governing body -- to play anywhere else.

But the NBA Players Association has privately maintained for months that it intends to legally challenge any attempt by the NBA or FIBA to block a player such as Williams from playing elsewhere while the NBA has imposed a work stoppage.

"If they try to stop him," one source said of Williams, "the union will fight it."

The bigger risk for Williams is injury-related, especially after he was plagued by a wrist injury throughout the second half of last season after the Nets acquired him from Utah on Feb. 24.

The guaranteed money Williams is owed by the Nets would not be protected in the event of injury overseas, meaning that either Williams or Besiktas will have to make insurance arrangements that protect him against long-term injury.

NTV Spor also reported Thursday that Atlanta Hawks center Zaza Pachulia plans to join Williams with Besiktas as well.
    Wow, I didn't expect this. I would have thought insurance alone would eat up most of that salary.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a moron.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What a moron.
    I don't think so. He's on the last year of his deal, and I'm sure he'll get that insured if he's injured. And that's assuming there will be any games played.

If he wants to do this, better to sign now when there's still money to be had. Not many teams will be able to afford signing an NBA player, even at a fraction of their regular salary.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo

Wow. There are "3rd world" environments in every country. Yes, even in the mighty U.S.A. I live in DC, and if you make a couple wrong turns from the Capitol at night... you're in another world.

I wish him the best. Hopefully he actually plays for them, instead of just collecting some extra money on the side.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    Wow. There are "3rd world" environments in every country. Yes, even in the mighty U.S.A. I live in DC, and if you make a couple wrong turns from the Capitol at night... you're in another world.

I wish him the best. Hopefully he actually plays for them, instead of just collecting some extra money on the side.
    Really? 3rd World in D.C? I'm pretty sure they have in door plumbing in DC, along with reliable electric power grids, and various other infrastructure amenities.

What you are describing is just blighted urban areas resulting from people who can't get out their own way. Thats not 3rd world.

Really? 3rd World in D.C? I'm pretty sure they have in door plumbing in DC, along with reliable electric power grids, and various other infrastructure amenities.

What you are describing is just blighted urban areas resulting from people who can't get out their own way. Thats not 3rd world.
    The more of your answers in this thread I read, the more I am convinced you would not be able to point at a world map and point out Turkey.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    The more of your answers in this thread I read, the more I am convinced you would not be able to point at a world map and point out Turkey.
    You would be wrong, I know where Turkey is on the Map.

Look the comparison of DC to Turkey does not work. No Matter how run down DC is, there is generally no where in DC that lacks basic westernized infrastructure, from Water, plumbing, power, education.

Now Turkey on the other hand. I'm not sure I would even classify it as 3rd world anymore as it is developing nicely, and is a member the E8. Certainly an emerging economy. But we can say that there are large swathes of regions in Turkey where basic infrastructure is absent or barely adequate.

Just because some neighborhoods are poor and crumbling does not mean they even come close to "3rd World" conditions. You know they aint crapping in outhouses and the trash man still comes by every Thursday in D.C.

As opposed to Turkey?

Let's also not forget we gave several Euro/International posters here, by the way.....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

The funny part in all this 3rd world country argument is that if Indiana was a country by itself, it would be a 3rd world country
    Last edited by vnzla81; 07-07-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post

I had a friend from Brazil with me when we made a wrong turn in Gary, IN. He was the one saying it felt like a third world country.

Banned

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Turkey isn't 3rd world it actually is pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Turkey isn't 3rd world it actually is pretty nice
    something lik 40% of the population in Istanbul lives in tin sheet slums and shanty towns. Sound just peachy. I betting they don't cover that on the tour though.

Pretty nice for a developing country I guess, and i'm sure pretty nice for millionaire athletes. Though you can say that about any city in the world.

Is Deron Williams married? Maybe he is going over there to meet the an exotic beauty to bring back as his wife. Judging by the recent Hardee's commerical Turkey has a lot of talent.