Thread: So I assume we're all encouraged by this, right?

Default So I assume we're all encouraged by this, right?

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...to-land-rondo/

Actually, not specifically the Rondo part (though I understand that, too), but what I've highlighted:

The Pacers are more likely to make trades then spend a lot of money on free agents, according to sources. They want to avoid overspending on a free agent.

As far as free agents go, the Pacers are leery about David West because of his age – 31 – he’s coming off knee surgery and how much he’ll still be able to contribute two or three years from now.

The Pacers like Nene, but word is they don’t want to break the bank to sign him.

[Kevin] Pritchard is heavily involved in meetings with the Larry Bird and David Morway because he has experience with having salary cap space.
    This can only be encouraging news, right? I certainly think so.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Default Re: So I assume we're all encouraged by this, right?

Makes me feel better about what we're doing this offseason. I want them to make some significant moves, but not go crazy just for the sake of making a big splash. I think Larry has shown that he's pretty safe decision maker in the past, and also that he's VERY stubborn in dealing with other GMs. I think those will both be admirable qualities now that we have so many options available to us.

This is exactly how I wanted them to approach free agency. Awesome.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm definitely glad we're not going to spend our money on the crappy free agent class.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

SIGN ALL THE SHANE BATTIERS! Wait...

Yea, of course. I love all of the buzz that is around right before we are about to make a big trade or sign a big free agent. We have to spend money anyway to get up to the 85%. I also like the fact the TPTB are leery about West. If we can't get Nene, Chandler, or one of the restricted guys, then we should just look for trades.

Banned

I do like the David West part, I really hope they don't try to get him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's very encouraging news. I believe that is what many of us have advocated for quite some time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should be able to do lopsided trades to help out some of the over the cap teams get their salary situation under control.

Also, if the Pacers made a reasonable offer of say 10 mill a year to Tyson Chandler, chances are that Dallas will have to pass because of the new luxury tax rules. The same goes for Caron Butler, Jason Richardson, or Jamal Crawford. Instead of just signing those players outright, they could arrange for a sign-and-trade so that Dallas, Orlando, or Atlanta can at least get a cheap low-salaried position player in return and it would allow the Pacers to retain some of their capspace for next summer's free agent bonanza.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...to-land-rondo/

Actually, not specifically the Rondo part (though I understand that, too), but what I've highlighted:

This can only be encouraging news, right? I certainly think so.
    Encouraging in the sense that the Pacers FO too has concerns about David West and that they recognize that Nene is a good piece to go after.

I would LOVE if could sign Nene....but I won't be disappointed if he chose to go to greener pastures when it comes to a Championship. The important thing to note is that the Pacers FO AT LEAST will TRY to make a run for Nene.

This is why I LOVE the fact that we have Capspace and can FINALLY do something like this.

But this brings up an important point.....what Team can afford to pay him $12-13+ mil a year AND is in a position to win a Championship?

Nene wants to have his cake and eat it....he can have one...but he can't have the other. I'm beginning to think that the whole "I want to play for a Championship" notion is more of a ploy to get more $$$.

My guess is that there is none that has the capspace AND is in the position to win a Championship in the next two to three years. Nene can go to a Championship caliber Team....but he's going to have to take a significant paycut. If he wants to get paid...he's going to have to go to the best Team that can afford to pay him and also has the best chance to make a decent run in the next 2 to 3 seasons.

EDIT - I checked....and I cannot find a Team that is in the position to win a Championship in the very near future AND can afford to pay him the $12 to 14 mil that he is likely asking for. If he wants to play for a Championship Caliber Team...he'll have to take a HUGE paycut since the majority of the Top Tier Teams are already over the SalaryCap. His best bet is to go to a 6th to 8th seeded Playoff Team that has the Capspace to offer him a $12 to 13 mil contract ( duh, like the Pacers ). It's not optimal...but it's the best chance that he would have to get a taste of the Playoffs. He wants to get paid and get a chance at a Championship....but the reality is that he isn't in a position to get both.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That's very encouraging news. I believe that is what many of us have advocated for quite some time.
    I'm guessing that the FO has been reading PD....that or UB is secretly Pritchard or Morway

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    They should be able to do lopsided trades to help out some of the over the cap teams get their salary situation under control.

Also, if the Pacers made a reasonable offer of say 10 mill a year to Tyson Chandler, chances are that Dallas will have to pass because of the new luxury tax rules. The same goes for Caron Butler, Jason Richardson, or Jamal Crawford. Instead of just signing those players outright, they could arrange for a sign-and-trade so that Dallas, Orlando, or Atlanta can at least get a cheap low-salaried position player in return and it would allow the Pacers to retain some of their capspace for next summer's free agent bonanza.
    I'd like to believe this...but at $10 mil a year....Cuban will easily match that offer. Despite the fact that Chandler would have to choose between Dallas and any other offer....he'd easily choose the Mavs while getting paid the same amount.

The only way that you can make Cuban blink is if you offer Chandler a near-MAX deal...something like $12 to 14 mil a year......cuz it's pretty obvious that Cuban doesn't mind paying to keep a Player like Chandler.